• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

it's my loss that capcom won't get my money anymore? that's a funny way of looking at it..

Like you said, someone else is just filling their pockets with DLC money. In fact, after I read your post, I went & bought the CPT Bundle for a friend of mine on his account (Not even joking). Gracias Capcom.

Hutchie

it's my loss that capcom won't get my money anymore? that's a funny way of looking at it..

Well they got £35 quid off me and thanks to fm everything i wont will be free. Is their dlc model much worse than arc or heck ea? I thought everyone agreed that the evo dlc was a rip off anyway

Pompadour

Well they got £35 quid off me and thanks to fm everything i wont will be free. Is their dlc model much worse than arc or heck ea? I thought everyone agreed that the evo dlc was a rip off anyway

Their DLC model is definitely better than ASW's. I have a digital copy of Rev that will be useless in 1.5 - 2 years. I don't fault them as GG is much more niche but I would be much happier if all the fighting games this gen gave away free balance updates so I could buy all these titles digitally and be done with it. I'm essentially buying every other fighting game on disc so I can sell it back when the next version that isn't a full sequel comes out.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You don't need costume DLC to enjoy a fighting game -_-

So obviously true, but it seems like a lot of people here have gamer syndrome where they cannot live without every piece of content available and the emotional pain of not having it destroys any chance of enjoying the actual gameplay.

phrostb

Neo Member
So obviously true, but it seems like a lot of people here have gamer syndrome where they cannot live without every piece of content available and the emotional pain of not having it destroys any chance of enjoying the actual gameplay.

or perhaps some people don't like being nickel and dimed for every little thing? technically none of the DLC is required, technically the game isn't required either.. so i don't think that's a good argument to make really.

the witcher 3 is a recent example of a game that did DLC right. i can see this game going F2P the way evolve did, after releasing multiple season passes and having it's userbase drop to next to nothing

Well they got £35 quid off me and thanks to fm everything i wont will be free. Is their dlc model much worse than arc or heck ea?

I think in a year or two, people will finally realize why the SF5 model is probably the most consumer friendly of all the current fighting games.

It's a plan aimed at the long term, but we're still very much in the short term, so people won't get it.

or perhaps some people don't like being nickel and dimed for every little thing? technically none of the DLC is required, technically the game isn't required either.. so i don't think that's a good argument to make really.

That's like looking at the menu at McDonald's, seeing a hundred different items, and complaining that you don't like being nickel-and-dimed for everything.

You aren't expected to buy EVERYTHING in order to have a complete experience. They're called "OPTIONS".

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

the witcher 3 is a recent example of a game that did DLC right. i can see this game going F2P the way evolve did, after releasing multiple season passes and having it's userbase drop to next to nothing

if you see no difference between owning a costume and owning a character to play with i can't imagine you were that interested in this game to begin with

phrostb

Neo Member
I think in a year or two, people will finally realize why the SF5 model is probably the most consumer friendly of all the current fighting games.

It's a plan aimed at the long term, but we're still very much in the short term, so people won't get it.

That's like looking at the menu at McDonald's and complaining that you don't like being nickel-and-dimed for everything.

You aren't expected to buy EVERYTHING in order to have a complete experience. They're called "OPTIONS".

or going to McDonalds and paying $5 for a burger and then 50 cents extra for cheese, tomato, ketchup, onion, bread, mustard, lettuce, onion, pickle, napkins, the bag, the tray cover, etc.
if you see no difference between owning a costume and owning a character to play with i can't imagine you were that interested in this game to begin with

I was actually very interested in the game before. I loved SF2 growing up and SF4 when that came out. I had no problem paying $20-$30 for the new versions that came out cuz they had a ton of content.. now it's $10 for a stage, how you guys don't see that as shameful i don't understand

Garrett, you got any of those PG Laura .paks?

giphy.gif

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
or going to McDonalds and paying $5 for a burger and then 10 cents extra for cheese, tomato, ketchup, onion, bread, mustard, lettuce, onion, pickle, napkins, the bag, the tray cover, etc.

I was actually very interested in the game before. I loved SF2 growing up and SF4 when that came out. I had no problem paying $20-$30 for the new versions that came out cuz they had a ton of content.. now it's $10 for a stage, how you guys don't see that as shameful i don't understand

*yawn* same song, every day.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
or going to McDonalds and paying $5 for a burger and then 50 cents extra for cheese, tomato, ketchup, onion, bread, mustard, lettuce, onion, pickle, napkins, the bag, the tray cover, etc.

10 dollars for a stage is shameful indeed. That's why I'm not going to buy it. I still get to play on it constantly because other people have bought it. Why would this alter my enjoyment of a fantastic fighting game in any way?

what do you mean? i haven't posted here in months..

There are a lot of people singing the same tune.

The actual model for DLC that Capcom uses is 100% fine. Purchase characters, stages and certain costumes with in game currency or use real money (necessary for premium costumes). Balance updates and additional content like story mode are 100% free and require no new disc. It's the prices of some of the DLC that are stupid. Even then, I don't think it's that bad considering you don't need to own everything. But yes, $4 for one costume is silly.

We could have the Arc Sys model though where your original disc becomes worthless and you have no way of upgrading without dropping another $60 for an update.

I think $10 for a stage is pretty fucking stupid which is why I just didn't buy it.

or going to McDonalds and paying $5 for a burger and then 10 cents extra for cheese, tomato, ketchup, onion, bread, mustard, lettuce, onion, pickle, napkins, the bag, the tray cover, etc.

A. You DO have to pay more for cheese at pretty much every restaurant. Sometimes lettuce and tomato, too.

B. An extra third or fourth Chun Li costume is not the same a bread on a hamburger. A burger without bread is not a burger. SF5 is still completely playable without an extra third or fourth Chun costume.

SF5 already gives you ketchup, mustard, onions, and pickles, because there already ARE extra costumes in the game, earnable for free.

10 dollars for a stage is shameful indeed. That's why I'm not going to buy it.

Just to be clear, the stage is $10 because most of it is a donation towards Capcom Pro Tour.

I'm sure you know this, but I just want to make sure the drive-bye know this, too.

phrostb

Neo Member
10 dollars for a stage is shameful indeed. That's why I'm not going to buy it. I still get to play on it constantly because other people have bought it. Why would this alter my enjoyment of a fantastic fighting game in any way?

There are a lot of people singing the same tune.

ok there you go. the only reason i even came here to post is because I'm a fan of the franchise and a capcom employee (haunts) posted something in this thread yesterday. i came here to voice my concerns that the franchise is headed in the wrong direction. sorry if that offends you people who are happy with the way things are, but i'm not. i don't like how a full priced $60 game is now charging hundreds of dollars for things that should be included in the game. i don't like how the console version is getting updates that the PC version isn't.. i don't like how they promised a linux build but are concentrated on creating costumes and milking the costumers for more money.. i feel the employees should be aware, that's why i'm complaining. if you don't agree that's fine, but i have a right to express myself

MrCarter

giphy.gif

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
ok there you go. the only reason i even came here to post is because I'm a fan of the franchise and a capcom employee (haunts) posted something in this thread yesterday. i came here to voice my concerns that the franchise is headed in the wrong direction. sorry if that offends you people who are happy with the way things are, but i'm not. i don't like how a full priced $60 game is now charging hundreds of dollars for things that should be included in the game. i don't like how the console version is getting updates that the PC version isn't.. i don't like how they promised a linux build but are concentrated on creating costumes and milking the costumers for more money.. i feel the employees should be aware, that's why i'm complaining. if you don't agree that's fine, but i have a right to express myself

Nobody is happy about the bad DLC prices. The rift is between people who don't let that sour them on the core game and those that do. I can't speak for everyone but I'm tired of hearing about how ruined this game is because of some dumb cosmetic shit. If you aren't interested enough in the core gameplay to get over it, why should anyone care what you think anyway?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just to be clear, the stage is $10 because most of it is a donation towards Capcom Pro Tour.

I'm sure you know this, but I just want to make sure the drive-bye know this, too.

I do know this. It's still shameful for a wealthy corporation to crowd-source their funding for a tournament that caters to a tiny fraction of elite players. They're taking advantage of fans desire to "grow the scene," whatever nebulous thing that entails. But even so, I don't give much of a shit what they do because I'm not forced to buy any of it. When new characters start to cost 10 bucks or 500,000 fight money or whatever, I'll re-evalute my position.

Zackat

Street Fighter fans care more about fucking costume DLC than they do the game now. We are truly DoA.

I would consider the Linux port to be way on the back burner at this point.
People who are opposed to for profit companies making money infuriate me.

Budgets don't grow on trees.
Drives me CRAZY. You would think a place like GAF would get more people who understand this stuff.

phrostb

Neo Member
Nobody is happy about the bad DLC prices. The rift is between people who don't let that sour them on the core game and those that do. I can't speak for everyone but I'm tired of hearing about how ruined this game is because of some dumb cosmetic shit. If you aren't interested enough in the core gameplay to get over it, why should anyone care what you think anyway?

i have problems with the core gameplay as well. is my opinion somehow less valid because i'm not drooling over some game that has clear issues? i remember the day it came out the only game mode that "worked" (besides the ridiculous survival mode) was the online mode, and even then i couldn't get a match in. last time i tried logging in, the servers were down again, i couldn't get any matches in. also the game feels laggy a bit, even offline 1 on 1 i still feel like it's not as smooth as sf4. also, how come no one has mentioned anything about the linux port yet? did capcom not promise a linux port? am i imagining things?

phrostb

Neo Member
Especially when it's compared to other fighting games. Go ahead, jump ship to Guilty Gear if you think $10 optional stages you play on for free online anyway are ruining a game for you.

The gameplay is there. Fight money grows on trees if you don't spend it on every little thing so it's easy to get every season 1 character for free. The CPT prices are silly, yes, but I really can't stomach much more discussion about how the game is ruined and how it was better back when we got boxed revisions instead (or for Arc games, still do).

Just... Don't buy that pack. It has next to nothing to do with playing the game itself.

This is how games are sold now. A la carte. That's how you deal with base pricing that is the same or lower than it was (WITHOUT accounting for inflation) than buying cart games in the 90's, and only $10 (again, no inflation accounted for) more than discs from that era. Some people on GAF just can't come to terms with that. Yes, in 1996 you got "all the stuff on the disc for free". You also bought a new game in 1997 to get a bunch of stuff (balance updates. characters) we get for free as updates. And you also paid way more in equivalent 2016 dollars.

nah that's not really true. usually F2P games are sold a la carte. most major games nowadays are $60 for the main game and then another $30 or so for the season pass.. this is what SF5 did except then they added another $200 in costumes. look at what happened with evolve.. they tried ripping everyone off with multiple expensive DLCs. the userbase dropped, and now it's F2P. capcom is reaping what they sowed

Pompadour

nah that's not really true. usually F2P games are sold a la carte. most major games nowadays are $60 for the main game and then another $30 or so for the season pass.. this is what SF5 did except then they added another $200 in costumes. look at what happened with evolve.. they tried ripping everyone off with multiple expensive DLCs. the userbase dropped, and now it's F2P. capcom is reaping what they sowed

What are they reaping? Internet shitposting?

I don't think saying that they are charging for items that should have been 'should have been in the game' is fair.

Most fighting games have never launched with additional outfits, and the number of stages and characters that launched with the core game is not incomparable to previous series entries either. If they were charging for content like an arcade mode, then I would understand your perspective but in terms of characters and stages I think the core package was reasonable.

If you don't like the value proposition offered by new costumes, stages or characters then you don't have to buy them.

Expensive cosmetic DLC was not the reason Evolve didn't find success...

Perhaps stale, repetitive and unbalanced gameplay also had something to do with it.

Game failed because the gameplay was fucking trash. DLC played a part but was not the main reason.

Zerojul

I'm not opposed to Capcom making money, but a $10 stage is indefensibly outrageous.

Yeah I agree but it's actually a $10 stage + money for the CPT. What's frustrating to me is that we don't know yet how much of those $10 actually go to the CPT but I'm sure Haunts will shed some light on that question sometime soon.
But if you don't care for the CPT money thing, which is perfectly fine and understandable, yeah $10 just for the stage is a tough pill to swallow.

More importantly though guys, when is my Juri beach costume ?

Zackat

『Inaba Resident』;210965736 said:
Game failed because the gameplay was fucking trash.
I'll never forget playing that demo and thinking what a garbage video game it was. Running in circle simulator.

phrostb

Neo Member
I don't think saying that they are charging for items that should have been 'should have been in the game' is fair.

Most fighting games have never launched with additional outfits, and the number of stages and characters that launched with the core game is not incomparable to previous series entries either. If they were charging for content like an arcade mode, then I would understand your perspective but in terms of characters and stages I think the core package was reasonable.

If you don't like the value proposition offered by new costumes, stages or characters then you don't have to buy them.

Expensive cosmetic DLC was not the reason Evolve didn't find success...

Perhaps stale, repetitive and unbalanced gameplay also had something to do with it.

ok this is going to my last post in this thread. You people are either acting dumb intentionally or seriously don't understand what i'm trying to say. "Don't buy it" doesn't take into account the bigger picture. obviously i'm not going to buy it if it's garbage, that's not the point.

i'm an SF fan, i always have been. i would love to see them be successful. I didn't come here to "shitpost". i came here to say i'm not happy with the way they've managed this new series release. and i know i'm not the only one that isn't happy either. the few friends i have that were really into SF before don't like the new game either. but it's ok.. since some of you can't seem to take criticism i'll just stop. hopefully some capcom employees will see this and make some changes to improve the game

Scotia

Banned
ok this is going to my last post in this thread. You people are either acting dumb intentionally or seriously don't understand what i'm trying to say. "Don't buy it" doesn't take into account the bigger picture. obviously i'm not going to buy it if it's garbage, that's not the point.

Which is? Doesn't get more simple than 'don't want it, don't buy it'.

Pompadour

I really hope Capcom finds success with their business model because I can't wait for them to focus less on fickle consumers who are going to drop their game in a month for the next, hot new thing. Imagine the content they could have added to this game if they didn't bother with the fifth wheel of game design, a fighting game story mode.

Just go lower budget, fund continued development with cosmetic DLC, focus on the FGC as your advertising model, and eventually go F2P to expand the player base. My biggest complaint of the model (aside from it's sloppy execution) is they tried to have their cake and eat it too by releasing this like a traditional game. I don't blame them as it may very well pay off but it's sure tainted my GAF experience.

Hutchie

Guys, trying to play smart against a lvl7/8 cpu isn't going to get you anywhere, just spam the fking mp/mk and let them walk into it.

No need to overexert yourselves when the thing reads inputs.

dude i was playing cheap, but one punish later i was dead. did get him in the end but took an embarrassing amount of time

kirblar

i'm an SF fan, i always have been. i would love to see them be successful. I didn't come here to "shitpost". i came here to say i'm not happy with the way they've managed this new series release. and i know i'm not the only one that isn't happy either. the few friends i have that were really into SF before don't like the new game either. but it's ok.. since some of you can't seem to take criticism i'll just stop. hopefully some capcom employees will see this and make some changes to improve the game
People can make up their own damn minds on pricing.

People spend 100K on a luxury car- you don't see other people trying to police their decisions and tell them they should be paying only 10K for it instead. People buy overpriced stuff because the money's supporting something all the time.

Yeah I agree but it's actually a $10 stage + money for the CPT. What's frustrating to me is that we don't know yet how much of those $10 actually go to the CPT but I'm sure Haunts will shed some light on that question sometime soon.
But if you don't care for the CPT money thing, which is perfectly fine and understandable, yeah $10 just for the stage is a tough pill to swallow.

More importantly though guys, when is my Juri beach costume ?

That's how I understood it as well, that part of the money from the new stage and costumes are going to the CPT. But they're not being transparent about how much is going into it. Plus it looks like it's being forced on everyone who wants to buy the new stage and costumes whether they care about the CPT or not.

I wish they had stuck with the prices they set earlier for stages and costumes. But still put out a bundle for $20-25 with some goodies. Just make it real clear that it's for the CPT so it will be seen more as a compendium instead of a unfair bundle. Let the people choose to pledge their support for the CPT instead of forcing their hand(if that's what they're doing).

Everything you've said has already been said before. Fuck off with that "cant take criticism shit". Fucking everyone I've seen say that they don't like DLC prices have voiced their complaints and decided not to buy what they think costs too much. It's exactly what I've done. However, I (and many others) don't let the dumb prices of cosmetic DLC ruin the game. Either you like the content enough to buy it or you don't. That's the end of it. Vote with your wallet. Don't be upset that others don't share the same view as you.

Zerojul

Not being happy with the way Capcom handles DLCs and not liking the game itself are very different matters imo.

Here's a high quality image of Akiman's Chun-Li costumes.

Cn7cx6BVUAASJ2P.jpg

Chun's costumes are all starting to look way too similar.... also makes me sad all Akiman is doing is 4 costumes.

I hope to god he's the illustrator for the season 2 stories... Bengus just did not deliver.

Top Bottom