• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey trailer (October 27th)

RagnarokX

I saw this in the eurogamer video and awww @ tiny goomba

http://i.imgur.com/BbhFlmm.gif

Poor Eurogamer just can't handle the goombas...
PossibleLavishKakapo.gif

Takat

...is what we say every single time they show a game and yet it's never true.

Yeah, last time Nintendo talked so much about a game was when they revealed BOTW, and that turned out great. I do expect to be surprised, but I'm fine with their coverage. Again, it's not like you have to watch and I try not to.

Joqu

Alright kids.

THE VIDEO IS UP!

10 glorious minutes of Mario Odyssey parkour and ninja-like movement.

I tried to address everything in the commentary of the video. Let me know on here if you have any questions.

Great video, thank you! I just love seeing someone play Odyssey the way god intended. It looks sooooo fun.

ITSMILNER

Sorry just got a cpuple of questions if someone could answer if they are known

1.) Does this game have a winter/Christmas themed world? Someone mentioned it but i can't see footage anywhere

2.) are the Koopa Kids in this? (Iggy, Lemmy etc..)

Kinsei

Banned
Sorry just got a cpuple of questions if someone could answer if they are known

1.) Does this game have a winter/Christmas themed world? Someone mentioned it but i can't see footage anywhere

2.) are the Koopa Kids in this? (Iggy, Lemmy etc..)

1) One of the continents on the world map looks like it's an ice world, although it could also possibly be crystal themed.

2) It doesn't appear so. There are new generals this time, evil wedding planner bunnies.

Alright kids.

THE VIDEO IS UP!

I tried to address everything in the commentary of the video. Let me know on here if you have any questions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27SWKUt_Cus&t=2m37s
[2:37]...Overall I do think this game controls the best out of any 3D Mario since Mario Sunshine, it definitely felt more slick and tight than the Galaxy games and definitely [more than] 3D World and 3D Land...

Looked great! Thanks for that, video answered a whole bunch of questions: only a few of which I could have actually thought to ask, but just about all of which I’m glad to know now.

Definitely a fan of the 64 controls, including the 64 triple jump where Mario has some extra ‘hang time’ (especially on the 2nd of the 3 jumps, when the jump button is pressed and held for each jump) compared to the Galaxy games, though for Odyssey’s triple jump it looks like they might have reduced the viscerally rewarding sensation of hang time (compared to 64) in favor of greater snappiness (which is probably a good thing for speedrunners, though speedrunning is unfortunately beyond my ken).

Alright kids.

THE VIDEO IS UP!

I tried to address everything in the commentary of the video. Let me know on here if you have any questions.

Also, LOAD UP THE GIFS. No lag after a dive feels WONDERFUL.

The spin jump is in but it works differently from Sunshine, at least as far as I could tell.

I did 360 + a (same exact timing from Sunshine's spin jump) and nothing happened. I tried spinning in mid air and nothing happened. The way it works now is you charge the spin by rotating the analog stick rapidly while grounded, then you jump and Mario continues to spin. I could see it being useful in the full game, but it definitely lacks the height/distance of the crazy spin jump from Sunshine.

Why did you film it with a patato!

Yonafunu

I have a question about the hat toss. We've seen that it can be used to attack and capture enemies, but do both actions use the same button and the effect changes based on the enemy? Or are attacking and capturing mapped differently? The Bullet Bills for example, does tossing the hat at them always capture them, meaning you can't attacks them with the hat?

Kouriozan

Post game (extra world) guesses :
Boring - Galaxy Kingdom because you know Rosalina will somehow appear in this game.
Surprise - Donkey Kong Island.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It really seems very exploration/adventure oriented. I still have to see the Treehouse footage: how is the platforming feeling? I really appreciated Galaxy/3D series over Sunshine and 64...so I'm a little bit scared

Kinsei

Banned
It really seems very exploration/adventure oriented. I still have to see the Treehouse footage: how is the platforming feeling? I really appreciated Galaxy/3D series over Sunshine and 64...so I'm a little bit scared

There are obstacle courses inside the open stages. The platforming in them looks really fun.

Dantrist

Alright kids.

THE VIDEO IS UP!

I'm very happy that Mario's movement finally seems fast and diverse, like in 64. Shame you can't transition from a long jump into a wall jump, and I'd like the long jump to be even a tiny bit longer, but all in all it looks very nice.

Kjellson

Post game (extra world) guesses :
Boring - Galaxy Kingdom because you know Rosalina will somehow appear in this game.
Surprise - Donkey Kong Island.
Hyrule Kingdom - A miniature version of the Breath of the Wild map where you can take control of Bokoblins, Lynels, Ritos, Gorons, Link, and so on.

That would be cool, lol.

k41m

It really bothers me that even if the game seems to be incredible and i'm loving it so far, nobody has a word about the resolution. I hope it ends like splatoon 2, or atleast like Zelda botw.

I have a question about the hat toss. We've seen that it can be used to attack and capture enemies, but do both actions use the same button and the effect changes based on the enemy? Or are attacking and capturing mapped differently? The Bullet Bills for example, does tossing the hat at them always capture them, meaning you can't attacks them with the hat?

It seems like the hat toss is just a single action, and it reacts differently to different objects or enemies. If you throw your hat at a standard bullet bill you'll always possess him. But if he's wearing a hat you have to throw your hat twice, once to knock off his hat and then once more to possess him.

Then it seems like there are smaller enemies that can't be possessed, like the small goombas. So the hat throwing is a simple mechanic that can cause extremely different results depending on what you hit.

Yonafunu

It seems like the hat toss is just a single action, and it reacts differently to different objects or enemies. If you throw your hat at a standard bullet bill you'll always possess him. But if he's wearing a hat you have to throw your hat twice, once to knock off his hat and then once more to possess him.

Then it seems like there are smaller enemies that can't be possessed, like the small goombas. So the hat throwing is a simple mechanic that can cause extremely different results depending on what you hit.

That's what I was afraid of, unfortunately. Accidentally possessing something looks like it kinda kills the (platforming) momentum, especially if you try to attack something and possess it instead. It having such inconsistent effects on one action could be annoying, too.

This has has probably been addressed already by someone, but anyone else realizing that there is a high chance to encounter Mr. Donkey Kong in person in this Game? I mean Rosalina being back and New "Donk" City?? This will be big...

Xalechim01

Neo Member
I finally got a chance to play this at Nintendo NYC this morning! A couple of thoughts:

• It's been way too long! I know some people replay Mario 64 and Sunshine often, but if you haven't the open feel of this game is going to take some getting used to. They only gave us 10 minutes with the demo of New Donk City and I spent the entire time just taking in the details
  • Mario controls SUPER TIGHT. Leave it to Nintendo to get this right, again. I didn't notice too many new movements, but in the open world environment the 3D world moveset works perfect.
  • It's a game for ALL ages. Even the first stars in SM64 required some skill of the controls to obtain. I got several moons just from talking to the right people, it felt kinda lame. That said, there were also some awesome platforming challenges to get Moons as well so I think it's safe to say the game will be easy to beat and hard to complete.
  • The music is the bomb! Again, not really a shocker given what we've heard, but I think there's some A+ Tier stuff in here
  • Cappy is a little hard to control, I definitely reccomend motion controls, but even then he doesn't always do exactly what you want him to do.
  • The camera still isn't perfect. The angle leaves a little to be desired and since you can do full 360 now, sometimes you wind up with a really bad viewpoint.

Ensirius

This game is legit gonna tempt me to buy a Switch when it comes out.

I have already decided I am buying a Switch after watching this.
This brings out Nintendo 64 level of creativity back to the Mario series.
And I want in.

A bundle with Zelda and Mario would be KILLER.

And I want in.

I don't think we will see a bundle this Holiday. No reason to if it's still selling like it is right now. If we do, imo we would probably get a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe bundle before a Zelda or Mario Odyssey bundle.

Plum

And I want in.

I'm not expecting an Odyssey bundle. The holiday bundle is almost assuredly going to be MK8D and possibly Snipperclips, if they do a singleplayer bundle it'll be Zelda. Odyssey just seems too big to put in a bundle.

I think I have never been this excited for a Mario title since 64. I love everything about this game :

-CRAZY Nintendo on full force (dinosaurs, living cap, real humans and so on) : check
-Creative visuals : check
-Creative gameplay : check
-Mario going all Kingdom Hearts regarding the visual variety of the worlds : check
-Mario having tons of different outfits (I have a fetish for this kind of thing lol) : check
-TONS of clever references (SMB 1, DK, Splatoon, Mario Land, SMB2 so far...) : check
-Mario being the most expressive he has ever been : check
-great looking cutscenes and over the top story (juding by the trailer) : check
-Being able to play more casualy for handeled prupose : check

October cannot come soon enough..

Forkball

I finally got a chance to play this at Nintendo NYC this morning! A couple of thoughts:

• It's been way too long! I know some people replay Mario 64 and Sunshine often, but if you haven't the open feel of this game is going to take some getting used to. They only gave us 10 minutes with the demo of New Donk City and I spent the entire time just taking in the details
  • Mario controls SUPER TIGHT. Leave it to Nintendo to get this right, again. I didn't notice too many new movements, but in the open world environment the 3D world moveset works perfect.
  • It's a game for ALL ages. Even the first stars in SM64 required some skill of the controls to obtain. I got several moons just from talking to the right people, it felt kinda lame. That said, there were also some awesome platforming challenges to get Moons as well so I think it's safe to say the game will be easy to beat and hard to complete.
  • The music is the bomb! Again, not really a shocker given what we've heard, but I think there's some A+ Tier stuff in here
  • Cappy is a little hard to control, I definitely reccomend motion controls, but even then he doesn't always do exactly what you want him to do.
  • The camera still isn't perfect. The angle leaves a little to be desired and since you can do full 360 now, sometimes you wind up with a really bad viewpoint.

What exactly are the motion controls? Do you just flick a joycon to throw Cappy? Do you control his trajectory like in ARMS?

Xalechim01

Neo Member
What exactly are the motion controls? Do you just flick a joycon to throw Cappy? Do you control his trajectory like in ARMS?

Yeah it's a simple flick of the right joy con to throw him and then you can control the trajectory by flicking your joy con in the direction you want. So almost exactly like arms, but not as dramatic.

Super Mario Sunshine holds a special place in my heart as the first game I ever purchased with my own money (the first paycheck from my very first job, in fact), so seeing the next installment of that style of Mario gameplay is giving me the feels.

I just love their version of sandbox, suits Mario game(s) so well!

Smaller places but absolutely stuffed with all kinds of neat.

Really liking the looks of it.

And the reasoning for the outlandishly different lands as a metaphor for Odysseia is beautiful and makes sense so much. You are supposed to feel little awkward at times, Mario is so out of his habitat.

And the song is legit one of the best of all the songs I've heard this year. I love that kind of music.

Top Bottom