• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Is this true? So then vertically you must DI, but horizontally you must vector?

I'm really not enough of a student of the game to have studied the footage, but I think a source of confusion here might be that vectoring for side attacks isn't altogether different from DI for side attacks because of the fact that you can often be launched straight up, but you're rarely knocked to the side at a trajectory that is perfectly parallel to the ground. Usually, you get launched up and to the right for instance at something that -- for simplicity's sake -- is 45 degrees to the ground (to the right). The optimal vector input was down and left into the attack, and the optimal DI is up and to the left (perpendicular to the trajectory). Either way, the optimal input involves pushing left on the control stick to some degree.

Now you're launched straight up. The optimal vector is straight down. The optimal DI is straight left or straight right. The differences here are readily apparent.

Of course, it's also possible that I'm just talking out of my ass here and don't really know what I'm talking about.

Vena

Heh I got downvoted to hell on reddit.

That's probably my favorite thing about the change. I don't know how fully DI was reverted to the old style, but I feel like calling it by a new name was unnecessary even at the beginning.

Vectoring is still horizontally present to a degree, but it has no presence on vertical launches. Vertical hits and horizontal hits have old-fashioned DI to them but horizontal hits can also have a tinge of vectoring added to them to make horizontal kills a little harder. The problem, though, is that to vector horizontal hits means you can't DI them towards the top-right/left corners as the inputs are completely different and cannot be done concurrently.

Basically... there's no reason to vector.

Vectoring is still horizontally present to a degree, but it has no presence on vertical launches. Vertical hits and horizontal hits have old-fashioned DI to them but horizontal hits can also have a tinge of vectoring added to them to make horizontal kills a little harder. The problem, though, is that to vector horizontal hits means you can't DI them towards the top-right/left corners as the inputs are completely different and cannot be done concurrently.

LOL, what did you say?

Ah, if that's the case then I'd agree simply because vectoring is a worse option in that scenario. I haven't seen many hits that launch you perpendicular to the stage that you couldn't DI upward.

emb

I was thinking there would be a consequence to this effect. Similar to what Steve was saying, most attacks are going to have horizontal and vertical components that you have to deal with. Even if they launch you purely horizontal, it seems like going up would be more to your advantage most of the time than going less left/right.

Vena

LOL, what did you say?

I have sinned.

Ah, if that's the case then I'd agree simply because vectoring is a worse option in that scenario. I haven't seen many hits that launch you perpendicular to the stage that you couldn't DI upward.

I was thinking there would be a consequence to this effect. Similar to what Steve was saying, most attacks are going to have horizontal and vertical components that you have to deal with. Even if they launch you purely horizontal, it seems like going up would be more to your advantage most of the time than going less left/right.

I can see it having some use in certain scenarios but I have no idea why you'd ever want to be sent out less-horizontally but lose all vertical allowance from DI. If you're Pit or something, with a long recovery, I could understand wanting to go low to avoid a chase or something, but even then you're actually setting yourself up for a very predictable recovery. You lose a lot of recovery options for nothing, really, since its basically forces you to recover to the ledge rather having an on-stage option.

The only character you can't edge guard from anywhere is Villager unless you have some sort of god-like skill to only hit his balloons.

Everyone else, the more you get accustomed to their timings, become easier and easier to block from the ledge... at least with Marth and his huge/long-ass nair hitbox. You can double-nair your way down, jump, and still recover with Dolphin... and then stage spike them because of how Dolphin launches on the reversal. So you'd be much better off recovering high whenever possible than recovering straight to the ledge from below/side with 100% predictability.

It's one more reason for Fuck Diddy, since Monkey Flip gives him a strong and long horizontal recovery, and lets him avoid ledge guards/trumps if the DI is to the top corner of the stage.

Puruzi

Banned
Just tried out Anter's ladder, this link I played against stole my soul. Dude was too good.
Anyone here wanna 1v1? ID is HarimeNui

Fought someone on Anther's and they disputed after I beat them 2-0 decisively. Mod sided with me.

That ethernet adapter can't get here soon enough, but I didn't tell the guy to go SD on his last stock. :T

JoeInky

I just randomly saw this on gamejolt and it tickled me

Why do amateur game developers almost always try and do the most difficult thing as their first project (he actually asks someone in the comments if they'll add him on skype and tell him how to use GameMaker)? It seems like it's always the case, also, the description is hilarious:

Super Smash Bros. for PC since Project M, and now Universe is here!! Stay updated!! Comment down below what you think about this game? Thanks guys! (btw it's gonna take a loonngg time to do this...) I'm doing 2D, and the game is now in development. and this is the fifth installment in the Smash Bros. series, I heard that Sakurai is retiring from all the stress from making Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U. That's why I made this game それはまだ終わっていないです [WARNING: This game is not "Fan-Made", again this is the fifth installment of the series. Don't bother saying that the game sucks. If you have a medical condition like Seizures or Epilepsy, Consult a doctor before playing video games, or DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME!] No copyright infringement intended. Contact me if there's any issues with the game: GrinZone22@gmail.com

Apparently this is the actual fifth installment of Smash, not a fangame, because Sakurai is retiring and good old RomanDogg thought he would take the mantle.

Also, all he has done for this so far, is added text to artwork from five nights at freddy's, posted a picture of Steve from Minecraft, taken a screenshot of Giga Bowser, some anime, the smash 4 logo and a fake smash universe logo and mashed them all together.

Oh, there's also a video, but all it is is a single room with a background image of the fake logo that he found on the internet (and expertly added "on PC" to) with some music.

I also like the fact that his unplayable background image and music somehow has a higher rating than some of my shitty but playable games.

I don't know if this is even the right thread for that, but I figured some of you might find it funny, especially because it has all the telltale signs of horrible fan made smash ideas, popular franchises that have no place in smash, things from anime, etc. The only thing it's missing is a picture of Shadow the Hedgehog somewhere in there.

This saddens me because it's either a joke that will amount to nothing, or he's the kind of guy who legitimately thinks he can make this happen and it will eventually amount to nothing.

Especially since it's usually some dumb kid who just started using GameMaker or whatever and all they have to show for it is copy-pasted images from wherever on the Internet.

JoeInky

This saddens me because it's either a joke that will amount to nothing, or he's the kind of guy who legitimately thinks he can make this happen and it will eventually amount to nothing.

Especially since it's usually some dumb kid who just started using GameMaker or whatever and all they have to show for it is copy-pasted images from wherever on the Internet.

I found another one just after I posted that and I don't know if it's better or worse.

Super Smash Youtubers

This is higher rated than that other one, and by more people. But the guy has done literally nothing, not even some bad mspaint copy+paste jobs, just said "I'm going to make a smash brothers and it's going to have these youtubers in it" and left it at that.

It has 15 pages of comments, mostly consisting of people telling him it's a good idea and that he should add such and such a person.

Crazy.

Apex schedule for all games:

Lg84UCs.png

Neoxon

Thinking back to the Spainkiller rumor, I think that the discovery of the Rhythm Heaven data may confirm what we were told. I'm gonna make a guess that we'll see Dixie Kong & the Chorus Kids as DLC characters, with a Rhythm Heaven stage & a Dr. Mario stage as the DLC stages. Basically the realization of scrapped data.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Still would like to know the reason behind the lack of Isaac. Even as just a trophy. Despite Golden Sun getting a new music track.

Apex schedule for all games:

This is shitty because it means Brawl top 8, or even top 16 will get streamed by the main channels (EDIT: Scratch this, apparently that was an error made by the image creator), and we're only getting two hours of 64 pools out of this. Not nearly enough time to get all of the good stuff.

As well, we're inevitably going to have Melee top 8 run into the early morning CST because SSB Wii U will not be a fast game with Diddy, Sonic, Rosalina, and a whole lot of safe playing to win.

Fucking hell, there's gotta be a better way to organize this so we can get more 64. :T

FluxWaveZ

Weyard Theme from Dark Dawn. Random music unlock. It's a Overworld Map Theme.

Cool, thanks. Still need to unlock all of those...

Yeah, I don't get why Isaac had to be removed from even being an Assist Trophy. Golden Sun might be niche, but he would fit well as even a playable character.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Cool, thanks. Still need to unlock all of those...

Yeah, I don't get why Isaac had to be removed from even being an Assist Trophy. Golden Sun might be niche, but he would fit well as even a playable character.

The problem many Golden Sun fans including myself have is that he lacks even a regular old trophy.

None exist.

Masked Man

I said wow

But you didn't even say anything worthy of condemnation... If it helps, I upvoted you! :D

Thinking back to the Spainkiller rumor, I think that the discovery of the Rhythm Heaven data may confirm what we were told. I'm gonna make a guess that we'll see Dixie Kong & the Chorus Kids as DLC characters, with a Rhythm Heaven stage & a Dr. Mario stage as the DLC stages. Basically the realization of scrapped data.

Yeah, I feel like DLC is the perfect avenue through which to distribute scrapped content. I'm sure that a number of developers worked considerably hard to create the characters and stages that ultimately didn't make it into the final game, so DLC would be a great way to ensure their hard work wasn't all for naught. Plus, Rhythm Heaven in Smash would be perfection. <3 <3 <3

Top Bottom