• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Yup. Maintenance. Welp, let's just agree that I won.

Mhmm.

Great matches, though. :D
Yah we had some good ones, but I forget about that tipper sometimes ugh.. And if people wonder why I pick certain stages in FD mode, it's because I like the music..<Palutena's temple, metaknight's ship, etc>

Masked Man

I said wow
Did they secretly alter balance 2 days before APEX?
Sakurai secretly deleted Diddy's u-air.

It says they "fixed several issues in order to ensure an enjoyable gaming experience," but I think that's just a stock line with no specifics.

Is there an english page?

Not that I've seen yet! The stages now compatible are:

Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Luigi's Mansion
Pyrosphere
Norfair
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Town & City
Smashville
Wii Fit Studio
Mario Galaxy &#937;
Mario Circuit (Brawl) &#937;
Great Cave Offensive &#937;
Lylat Cruise &#937;
Pokemon Stadium 2 &#937;
Town & City &#937;

Masked Man

I said wow
What was the line last time when they actually did a balance pass? Was it the same wording?

It was literally "adjusted game balance." This is the same stock line they throw in at the end of every patch as a catch-all. Sounds like people can still view their old replays, so I doubt any actual adjustments were made to fighters' parameters.

Vena

It was literally "adjusted game balance." This is the same stock line they throw in at the end of every patch as a catch-all. Sounds like people can still view their old replays, so I doubt any actual adjustments were made to fighters' parameters.

Oh well, I guess they have semblance of sense to not balance patch a day before the tournie lol.

FSLink

Banned

Yeah it might be a few bug fixes or preparation for the Miiverse/Mewtwo patch(es?) if there is anything changed.

Vena

Yeah it might be a few bug fixes or preparation for the Miiverse/Mewtwo patch(es?) if there is anything changed.

Watch them end APEX with "and now Mewtwo is live".

"Due to popular request, we've also buffed Diddy Kong!..."

"...Into a stage hazard on Smashville!"

JoeInky

Pretty random update in terms of the timing.

Don't really care about it though, I played 8-player Smash once and I have no desire to do it again.

Still bullshit that there are ways to remove the shitty aspects of stages but no actual toggle because making it the player's choice is apparently some horrible thing that will make the game like PSABR.

Pretty random update in terms of the timing.

Don't really care about it though, I played 8-player Smash once and I have no desire to do it again.

Still bullshit that there are ways to remove the shitty aspects of stages but no actual toggle because making it the player's choice is apparently some horrible thing that will make the game like PSABR.

I wouldn't count removing things from stages in order to allocate more space for more players as a toggle...

It says they "fixed several issues in order to ensure an enjoyable gaming experience," but I think that's just a stock line with no specifics.

Not that I've seen yet! The stages now compatible are:

Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Luigi's Mansion
Pyrosphere
Norfair
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Town & City
Smashville
Wii Fit Studio
Mario Galaxy &#937;
Mario Circuit (Brawl) &#937;
Great Cave Offensive &#937;
Lylat Cruise &#937;
Pokemon Stadium 2 &#937;
Town & City &#937;

Wow, awesome!

emb

Oh, good, stages added. I still stand by the idea that there should be NO restriction on stages for 8 player Smash. The idea of "you can't do that, we the game developers don't think it would be optimally fun!" is ridiculous. Smash is about letting people play how they want.

Unless some smaller stages have more intricate backgrounds and stuff. That would be a valid excuse. Anyway, yeah, update seems solid.

So replays still work, meaning no balance changes? Hopefully?

Oh, good, stages added. I still stand by the idea that there should be NO restriction on stages for 8 player Smash. The idea of "you can't do that, we the game developers don't think it would be optimally fun!" is ridiculous. Smash is about letting people play how they want.

Unless some smaller stages have more intricate backgrounds and stuff. That would be a valid excuse. Anyway, yeah, update seems solid.

Considering they allow things like Yoshi's Island and the first stage of Castle Siege, which are disasters in 8 players, I think it's been a technical thing rather than a game design thing. As in, they couldn't hit 60 FPS with 8 characters on these stages before.

emb

Considering they allow things like Yoshi's Island and the first stage of Castle Siege, which are disasters in 8 players, I think it's been a technical thing rather than a game design thing. As in, they couldn't hit 60 FPS with 8 characters on these stages before.
That makes more sense as a reason. But then it's surprising that especially big ones like Palutena's Temple and Great Cave can be done, with their variety of different elements.

Looking at the list, was Town and City not compatible before? When I first saw it I thought the point was to make an 8-player version of Smashville, lol. Cool that it is now I suppose.

DaBoss

The obvious answer is that those stages were made from the start with 8-player Smash in mind. Maybe they use lower-quality character models when playing on those stages or the stage assets are lower-quality compared to stages because it is zoomed out.

The biggest indicator for 8-player Smash being limited technically is the fact that most of the stages are Retro stages which usually just requires the stages textures to be updated.

emb

Apparently replays work still, so there should be no change to the actual balance. To be doubly sure, just try to watch a replay with the specific character you're curious about.

At least I'd think that would be a sure way to check.

Edit: Puruzi ninja's me. D:

Neat!

Or maybe suddenly your replay will produce a different outcome? :p

That makes more sense as a reason. But then it's surprising that especially big ones like Palutena's Temple and Great Cave can be done, with their variety of different elements.

Looking at the list, was Town and City not compatible before? When I first saw it I thought the point was to make an 8-player version of Smashville, lol. Cool that it is now I suppose.
Number of polygons, not number of platforms, etc.

I got really excited or 8-player Norfair, then I realized there was no lava. :(
Like the only stage I care about hazards on haha.
Yay no more stupid lava! Now we just need a version of the Star Fox stage with just the Great Fox.

emb

Number of polygons, not number of platforms, etc.
I was thinking that more elements would mean both more textures to load, and more collisions to check for. But what you said probably makes more sense. Either way, I totally get now why Ridley wouldn't be going in 8 player Smash, and why something like Orbital Gate or Town and City wouldn't be options.

Speaking of you, when are you free for ranbats? We may have already waited too wait in the week to line up our schedules, lol.

I was thinking that more elements would mean both more textures to load, and more collisions to check for. But what you said probably makes more sense. Either way, I totally get now why Ridley wouldn't be going in 8 player Smash, and why something like Orbital Gate or Town and City wouldn't be options.

Speaking of you, when are you free for ranbats? We may have already waited too wait in the week to line up our schedules, lol.

Tomorrow from 7-9am PST?

I found out that Wario's jumping bite covers 3/4 of the get up options.

Also Bike throw is a legit edgeguard that can deal up to ~20% damage if the hits connect *___*

Any resources/vids/tips on playing Ness? I'm not sure what happened, maybe it's the Ness amiibo heading our way in the near future but I feel as though I should have mained Ness many years ago.

My Ness as of right now sucks ass.

Any resources/vids/tips on playing Ness? I'm not sure what happened, maybe it's the Ness amiibo heading our way in the near future but I feel as though I should have mained Ness many years ago.

My Ness as of right now sucks ass.
There's plenty of videos of NAKAT's Ness on youtube. Go check him out!

I found out that Wario's jumping bite covers 3/4 of the get up options.

Also Bike throw is a legit edgeguard that can deal up to ~20% damage if the hits connect *___*
It's amazing how many people think they can do a ledge get up attack when they see me standing with my mouth open, only for them to get chomped on.

Top Bottom