• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

DooD1234

Hot damn Yoshi this ain't a fucking party quit tossing out attacks for free like it ain't shit let me punish you got damn
Yoshi is a fucking pain the ass to deal with. Extremely safe aerials all around that holds forever and if he not on the offensive, he chucking eggs at you like nobodies business. Fuck yoshi.

LOL@ Lylat

Yeah, I had quite a few timely SDs, like against Zelda. I feel like I'm getting a bit better, and less predictable, even though I got thoroughly dominated by some of your characters. I'm pissed I missed the edge twice against Ganondorf with my recovery. Otherwise, I was doing pretty well in that match. Oh well, plenty to improve. Thanks for the matches.

GG Namikaze, my Fox needs work but clearly MK and Falco are good to go. :p Like your Yoshi, hope to use it to practice the matchup more.

Just...god damn, there's Diddy's hoo hah, Sawnic Speed, Rosalina's meat shield, Sheik's infinite combo potential, and Yoshi's "I have never heard of unsafe attacks" self. That's some high tier we got. :O

Puruzi

Banned
Yeah, I had quite a few timely SDs, like against Zelda. I feel like I'm getting a bit better, and less predictable, even though I got thoroughly dominated by some of your characters. I'm pissed I missed the edge twice against Ganondorf with my recovery. Otherwise, I was doing pretty well in that match. Oh well, plenty to improve. Thanks for the matches.

No problem. Was surprised when you PK Thunder'd into the ledge then bounced backwards off it and killed me in that one match though, had no idea that could happen.

GG Namikaze, my Fox needs work but clearly MK and Falco are good to go. :p Like your Yoshi, hope to use it to practice the matchup more.

Just...god damn, there's Diddy's hoo hah, Sawnic Speed, Rosalina's meat shield, Sheik's infinite combo potential, and Yoshi's "I have never heard of unsafe attacks" self. That's some high tier we got. :O

GGs! I see you like them space animals. I don't know how my Kirby beat your Falco, when I was having trouble against Falco with Yoshi. I am very bad at punishing :S I often whiff my DACUS into a dash, but I wouldn't do that if I used the second analog stick. My GameCube adapter is coming tomorrow, so maybe I will use the c-stick more.

Yoshi's "safe" attacks are really only uair, nair, jab, and eggs. Dair and bair are easily to miss with, and punishable. Egg Roll really shouldn't be used, but it has its moments. Down-B nears a good read to work, but you keep see me just throwing it out xD And neutral-B is decent, but I need a lot more practice with it.

1v1 anyone? nnid: bark252

Sure. I will add you now.

GGs! I see you like them space animals. I don't know how my Kirby beat your Falco, when I was having trouble against Falco with Yoshi. I am very bad at punishing :S I often whiff my DACUS into a dash, but I wouldn't do that if I used the second analog stick. My GameCube adapter is coming tomorrow, so maybe I will use the c-stick more.

Yoshi's "safe" attacks are really only uair, nair, jab, and eggs. Dair and bair are easily to miss with, and punishable. Egg Roll really shouldn't be used, but it has its moments. Down-B nears a good read to work, but you keep see me just throwing it out xD And neutral-B is decent, but I need a lot more practice with it.

This is the only game you'll see me main space animals lol. I honestly had no idea what to expect from Kirby, so half the time I was just throwing shit out to see what stuck. I'm amazed you survived a full-charge f-smash, but I couldn't survive an uncharged one. :/ Also dude; there's no DACUS.

You Brawl kids and your crazy Brawl tech, I don't know these darn things because I'm a Melee kid. :T

This is the only game you'll see me main space animals lol. I honestly had no idea what to expect from Kirby, so half the time I was just throwing shit out to see what stuck. I'm amazed you survived a full-charge f-smash, but I couldn't survive an uncharged one. :/ Also dude; there's no DACUS.

You Brawl kids and your crazy Brawl tech, I don't know these darn things because I'm a Melee kid. :T

This is my first non-casual Smash. I thought DACUS was dashing and doing an up-smash.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Involved canceling a Dash and a jump into a upsmash which lead into a dashing Upsmash that went really fast. Ganondorf could do it too. But it's gone now.

Puruzi

Banned
WfpFYGF.gif

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Post might be pretty long, maybe too much to hold your attention, so I've tl;dr bolded to make it easier

So, is there a very good video series how-to-play which takes you from total beginner to semi-advanced techniques? I've had most of the games in the series (well, besides N64 and 3DS Smash which I'm not interested in) but I've played 10 hours tops between all 3 games and now I'm interested in becoming decent (ie having fun) with Smash WiiU but I'm finding it difficult, I really need a video guide.

Also, I won't spend the money for the GC adapter (for now) but man this is the first time I can't play a game with the gamepad, I find it impossible. Nunchuck+remote is better but no precision, my classic controller pro is better (smash attacks on the right analog stick) but still not cutting it for me, is the Pro Controller better than the CC Pro for Smash?

Last question: I find it difficult to manage all the moves/buttons quickly if I don't have up/jump and resort to using a button to jump, but on the other hand I have a lot of problems managing the finesse needed to up/Attack (uppercuts and such) unless I'm already doing a different attack before that one where I can just push the stick up without worrying the character will jump 'cause I've pushed the stick all the way up/too quickly.
So I use left stick/up to jump but I sometimes jump when not intended and have a lot of trouble doing up attacks.

•Do you guys jump with a button or with left-stick up?

•Do you use the c-stick/right analog to do smash attacks or you go with the hold-stick + attack way?

I love the idea of the game, the looks, sound, gameplay and really everything about this one, but so far I've wasted 50€ 'cause I'm not enjoying it but I know it's just a matter of learning the ropes, I'd need a mate to play the game with but that's out of the question, so you're my only hope.
Please GAF, help an amiibro smashnewb out!

Post might be pretty long, maybe too much to hold your attention, so I've tl;dr bolded to make it easier

So, is there a very good video series how-to-play which takes you from total beginner to semi-advanced techniques? I've had most of the games in the series (well, besides N64 and 3DS Smash which I'm not interested in) but I've played 10 hours tops between all 3 games and now I'm interested in becoming decent as Smash WiiU but I'm finding it difficult, I really need a video guide.

Also, I won't spend the money for the GC adapter (for now) but man this is the first time I can't play a game with the gamepad, I find it impossible. Nunchuck+remote is better but no precision, my classic controller pro is better (smash attacks on the right analog stick) but still not cutting it for me, is the Pro Controller better than the CC Pro for Smash?

Last question: I find it difficult to manage all the moves/buttons quickly if I don't have up/jump and resort to using a button to jump, but on the other hand I have a lot of problems managing the finesse needed to up/Attack (uppercuts and such) unless I'm already doing a different attack before that one where I can just push the stick up without worrying the character will jump 'cause I've pushed the stick all the way up/too quickly.

•Do you guys jump with a button or with left-stick up?

•Do you use the c-stick/right analog to do smash attacks or you go with the hold-stick + attack way?

I love the idea of the game, the looks, sound, gameplay and really everything about this one, but so far I've wasted 50€ 'cause I'm not enjoying it but I know it's just a matter of learning the ropes, I'd need a mate to play the game with but that's out of the question, so you're my only hope.
Please GAF, help an amiibro smashnewb out!

I am sure there is a video series, but I don't know one. I would also like to know some advanced techniques that are needed to be good.

I use a button to jump. When I have tap jump on, I tend to waste my jumps, and it makes it harder to do up-tilt and up-air.

I use both the second analog stick and the regular way. Although I use a Pro controller, and this makes me do the regular way more often.

I started out almost from square one when I played the 3DS version. I only had ever played casually and not very good. What worked for me was just finding a character I liked (I started with Bowser, bu then I went to Yoshi) and kept playing matches with that character. I think it has worked out decently so far.

Masked Man

I said wow
Welp! after some hopping through financial loops. I soon will be able to play with Smash GAF wether its 3DS or Wii U ( FINALLY!!!!) Gonna upgrade im internet to a better plan and ISP. My current ISP seems to hate nintendo consoles now a days. So get ready to have a Palutena/WFT main join the ranks!

YESSS welcome to the ranks of Palutena's Army! Can't wait to play with you. :D

If that Rhythm Heaven stage ever gets finished & released as DLC, hopefully this song is in the stage.

What an excellent choice! Some other requests for a potential Rhythm Heaven stage (based entirely on my personal preferences):

• A slightly more up-tempo funk remix of Love Laboratory, maybe done as a "Love Medley" by throwing in the main melody from Love Lizards as an interlude
  • Glee Club 2 as a jazz-funk fusion with a similar rhythm structure as the Plaza / Title arrangement from Smash 4.
  • A sweeping arrangement of Space Soccer or Lockstep, especially to bring out the lush strings in the latter half of Lockstep. Maybe even combine the two together somehow!?
  • Vocal covers of Karate Man and/or Fan Club 2 (I'd personally prefer the former, but the latter has clapping monkeys!)
  • A relatively straight arrangement of Game Select 2 to compliment Neoxon's RH Fever menu music.
  • A rip of Night Walk / Dreams of Our Generation because it's perfect as is. <3

Damn, that Pocket has some incredible range! What a great KO, though.

No problem. Was surprised when you PK Thunder'd into the ledge then bounced backwards off it and killed me in that one match though, had no idea that could happen.

So after some trial and error, I figured out that PK Thunder 2 Re-Direct (TM lol) is a thing. It's just really unpredictable. I think the "lip" of the stage really matters. I couldn't reliably do it on Smashville, but it happened somewhat frequently on Battlefield. Most of the time, Ness just grabs the ledge. If you want to try for yourself, all you need to do is jump off the stage, and while Ness is ABOVE the level of the ledge, direct a PK Thunder 2 toward the ledge.

One of four things will happen.

1. You will not aim properly at the ledge
2. Ness grabs the ledge (most frequent)
3. Ness bounces off the stage in a way that can be recovered by (very) quickly by doing another PK Thunder 2.
4. PK Thunder 2 will be re-directed off the ledge and continue in an unpredictable direction.

If you're trying to do this in a competitive setting, I suggest ALWAYS inputting UP-B right after you hit the ledge in expectation of case 3. PK Thunder doesn't interrupt PK Thunder 2, so there's really no disadvantage to planning for case 3.

Puruzi

Banned
So after some trial and error, I figured out that PK Thunder 2 Re-Direct (TM lol) is a thing. It's just really unpredictable. I think the "lip" of the stage really matters. I couldn't reliably do it on Smashville, but it happened somewhat frequently on Battlefield. Most of the time, Ness just grabs the ledge. If you want to try for yourself, all you need to do is jump off the stage, and while Ness is ABOVE the level of the ledge, direct a PK Thunder 2 toward the ledge.

One of four things will happen.

1. You will not aim properly at the ledge
2. Ness grabs the ledge (most frequent)
3. Ness bounces off the stage in a way that can be recovered by (very) quickly by doing another PK Thunder 2.
4. PK Thunder 2 will be re-directed off the ledge and continue in an unpredictable direction.

If you're trying to do this in a competitive setting, I suggest ALWAYS inputting UP-B right after you hit the ledge in expectation of case 3. PK Thunder doesn't interrupt PK Thunder 2, so there's really no disadvantage to planning for case 3.

Oh nice, thanks for posting this. I use Ness sometimes and this is good info to know.

I think that's half the cast that has slow punishable moves :p. Pff MK needs to take that mask off, what is he really hiding anyway...

Hah, even MK has a slow punishable move in the form of fsmash and neutral b. :p

I'm feeling pretty good about my MK. Even though he's not too good against the better players, he does incredibly well for himself when against matchups where, if I used Falco, I'd have second thoughts. :)

Now all he needs is
a range buff samurai pls

Puruzi

Banned
Hah, even MK has a slow punishable move in the form of fsmash and neutral b. :p

I'm feeling pretty good about my MK. Even though he's not too good against the better players, he does incredibly well for himself when against matchups where, if I used Falco, I'd have second thoughts. :)

Now all he needs is
a range buff samurai pls

I'm gonna be so mad if there really aren't going to be any more balance patches.

Anyone know if there any active smash groups on steam or something? Need more people to play with.

I'm gonna be so mad if there really aren't going to be any more balance patches.

Anyone know if there any active smash groups on steam or something? Need more people to play with.

Just do Anther's ladder. Works wonders for me.

Vena

If you're getting bodied, can't imagine my odds would be good on there.. What is it anyway..

See I think it depends on the mind-set and play style. I play so stupidly that while CRQ and others here can figure it out and beat me, when I go to our local tournies, I will place decently because who the fuck plays as Marth or goes chasing half way off stage to get a kill.

Top Bottom