• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

Well, I hope we see some kind of highly unusual new pokemon rep, though I doubt they will follow through on plusle and minun now that gen 3 is so long ago.

L00P

I just read about that article where Sakurai is against fighting game characters. While I DO want to see people like Ryu fight it out Smash Bros. style out of sheer curiosity, it made me think about why I liked SSB in the first place. The guilty pleasure you get from seeing your favorite Nintendo characters beat the crap out of each other is one thing, but now that I think about it, maybe it's because of the fact that the actual fighting works so well. A lot of the characters in the series were not designed to be in a fighting game at all, but they somehow translate really well in Smash Bros.

So yeah, Ryu makes a lot of sense to be in the game, and I guess that's why Sakurai don't want him in. That's why the Wii fit girl and the villager got in instead. There's no question that the man wants an element of surprise when it comes to picking characters to be deemed worthy for Smash Bros.

Castcoder

Banned
Yep, that's all correct.

Dixie Kong was going to be a tag character along with Diddy, but after running into technical problems Sakurai had to repurpose Diddy into a standalone fighter, cutting Dixie in the process. Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Roy, Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik, and Plusle & Minun were all planned as additional characters, but they couldn't be included due to time constraints.

Time constraints? They had how many delays for the game? I bet it was all wasted on Subspace Emissary.

Yep, that's all correct.

Dixie Kong was going to be a tag character along with Diddy, but after running into technical problems Sakurai had to repurpose Diddy into a standalone fighter, cutting Dixie in the process. Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Roy, Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik, and Plusle & Minun were all planned as additional characters, but they couldn't be included due to time constraints.

Why does everybody in this thread keep making assumptions and passing them off as fact? It's fucking annoying. The only character who was confirmed to be cut from a previous game is King Dedede.

Next update's going to be epic:

groose_by_vonblargh-d4ml7gl.jpg

Ryce

Why does everybody in this thread keep making assumptions and passing them off as fact? It's fucking annoying. The only character who was confirmed to be cut from a previous game is King Dedede.
The only character? Bowser, Mewtwo, and Dedede were all planned for the first game. (Source)

Diddy and Dixie were going to be a tag character, but they had to cut Dixie. (Source)

"Sadly, we had to trim out many great concepts just to keep within the time contraints. I had a lot more characters, for example.. but sadly I can't discuss which ones didn't make it." (Source)

It's a logical assumption that Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, and Plusle & Minun -- the characters whose names appear on the Brawl disc -- were the ones who had to be cut.

Sorry for being "fucking annoying," though!

Next update's going to be epic:

groose_by_vonblargh-d4ml7gl.jpg
Still wanna see this suave motherfucker riding around stages on the Groosenator launching bombs at opponents. One of the few things I genuinely love from Skyward Sword.

Also still pretty weird that the Diddy/Dixie combo was originally a fan idea pitched to Sakurai. While I like both Kongs, pairing them up due to DKC2 made about as much sense as pairing Mario and Luigi due to the M&L games, Fox and Falco due to their games or Sonic and Tails due to Sonic 2 onwards. Glad the idea didn't peter out, though I wouldn't be surprised to see Dixie as a standalone due to TF (for as much as I want K. Rool more).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Am I the only one that hated Brawl's menu interface? Melee's was so much better. Hopefully SSB4 goes down that route.

DaBoss

Am I the only one that hated Brawl's menu interface? Melee's was so much better. Hopefully SSB4 goes down that route.
You probably are amongst a few others. Brawl's was much more interesting and looked really nice, colorful, and clean.

Melee's is pretty bland and barren in comparison to Brawl.

Going by Sakurai's games post-Melee, that is very unlikely since the menus have had a similar style.

Speaking of Brawl, two of my best friends are moving away this weekend, so a few days ago they called me up and invited me over to play Brawl with them. They had just bought the game that night, and we ended up spending about 6 hours just pounding the crap out of each other while trying to unlock new characters. We ended up unlocking Snake, Ness, Marth, and Luigi before we got too tired and drunk to keep playing.

Not gonna lie. For all the negative things people say about Brawl...when you play it with two people who aren't super-jaded or critical, it's just unbelievably fun. Such a great game.

J@hranimo

Banned

While I didn't hate it, I agree that Melee's is overall better and easier to navigate. Kid Icarus Uprising had the same type of menu interface as Brawl, but that worked better because of the touch screen.

Basically posting to reiterate the 3DS freaking rules

Hell yeah! *high five*

qq more

Speaking of Brawl, two of my best friends are moving away this weekend, so a few days ago they called me up and invited me over to play Brawl with them. They had just bought the game that night, and we ended up spending about 6 hours just pounding the crap out of each other while trying to unlock new characters. We ended up unlocking Snake, Ness, Marth, and Luigi before we got too tired and drunk to keep playing.

Not gonna lie. For all the negative things people say about Brawl...when you play it with two people who aren't super-jaded or critical, it's just unbelievably fun. Such a great game.
Yep! Brawl is still a very fun game when you have people around. Definitely a great game on its own.

While I don't hate the interface from Brawl, I like Melee's and even 64's way more. Brawl's interface was kind of too colorful me thinks... but my biggest gripe is the menu sound effects, they're kind of lame lol

zroid

Banned

As far as games to play while hanging out with some buds go, Brawl is pretty much unmatched, perhaps by anything save Mario Kart. The amount of content and fun to be had in that game is truly staggering.

While I didn't hate it, I agree that Melee's is overall better and easier to navigate. Kid Icarus Uprising had the same type of menu interface as Brawl, but that worked better because of the touch screen.

well I have good news for you... :p

Richie

Me and my bros have made a tradition out of buying pizza, loads of beer and junk food, and play Nintendo multiplayer till we can't no more.
Brawl always gets the lion's share of the playtime.
In fact, I'm the middle of that right now, took a break. Back to kick some ass. Sogood.gif

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
it'll be too predicable, sakurai might reveal someone as soon as tomorrow, than not reveal anyone else until december

Mariolee

Huh. I suppose that's helpful, but I feel in the chaos and fast pace of the battle I'll hardly notice it.

Edit: Wait, I misinterpreted. I thought he meant that the color green would specify the person who would get the KO, or likewise with red. It seems that the characters simply have their own color blast to differentiate them. My bad lol

JB2448

Should have shown also Mega Man and we would have a good representation of Din, Nayru and Farore

EDIT: What's Sakurai comment on this one?

New pic of the day hasn't been added to the main site yet, but the Miiverse post is up.
Pic of the day. The impact-launch effect has been powered up. The assigned color makes it clear which player will get points in the event of a KO.

Also, the focus on primary colors will really make this look godly on HDTVs, huh?

Huh. I suppose that's helpful, but I feel in the chaos and fast pace of the battle I'll hardly notice it.

Edit: Wait, I misinterpreted. I thought he meant that the color green would specify the person who would get the KO, or likewise with red. It seems that the characters simply have their own color blast to differentiate them. My bad lol

Actually, I think the colors of the blast indicate which player or team it is.

Hero

Has Link been shown to use his boomerang in any of the media we've gotten so far? If he's based on Skyward Sword, he wouldn't have that item. Maybe new move for his side B?

makako

Neo Member

So if we play, let's say... with red link, ganondorf and samus both will have red and we're back on the basics again ? lol

So if we play, let's say... with red link, ganondorf and samus both will have red and we're back on the basics again ? lol

Players have a fixed color code in Smash Bros.

First player is red, 2nd player blue, 3rd player yellow, 4th player green.
It's always been like this.

These new effects will aid you to keep track of your character when multiple launches will happen, I think.

makako

Neo Member
Players have a fixed color code in Smash Bros.

First player is red, 2nd player blue, 3rd player yellow, 4th player green.
It's always been like this.

These new effects will aid you to keep track of your character when multiple launches will happen, I think.

oooh it's player colour lol.... i thought about character colour. Yeah. great point. Dumb me.

linko9

But if Sakurai's comment is translated right (or is that even a translation?), that wouldn't really help in knowing who gets the kill. Maybe if the color is the color of the person who successfully attacked and launched the other character.

makako

Neo Member
But if Sakurai's comment is translated right (or is that even a translation?), that wouldn't really help in knowing who gets the kill. Maybe if the color is the color of the person who successfully attacked and launched the other character.

i think this would be confusing (until we get used to it) because if game's too hardcore and we're nervous and we see our character color flying we might think we died and lose track of our movements for some seconds... i can't figure how it would help knowing who gets the kills also... but i honestly think the first option (the color is the color of the player) is very wise.

Thoraxes

How many people are planning on getting the gamecube controller adapter to play this?

wavebird.jpg

If Nintendo doesn't make a Gamecube-shaped/Smash-branded Wii U controller for the launch of the new Smash Bros they are missing out on a lot of fucking money.

I'd pay $60 for one without batting an eye because of how much I know i'd use it.

Top Bottom