• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

It always makes me sad when people say they don't want unlockable characters in fighting games. Unlockable characters are half the fun! You start out with a handful of neat characters, you learn to use them, and then you unlock a new one and suddenly the entire game shifts! Literally the only downside is lazy people and tournament play, and it'd be easy enough to wait a few months after the game releases and put out a free "Tourney Play" DLC that unlocks every character for VS mode automatically.

Unlocking Ness in Smash 64 was one of the highlights of my early gaming career.

I want at least all advertised characters unlocked at the beginning. I wanna play as Mega Man straight out the box. I remember getting Brawl and not realizing you have to unlock Snake and I was so disappointed, even if it was pretty easy to unlock him. I think I just set myself to one stock and died 15 times on Shadow Moses just to get him NOW DAMMIT.

Also yeah I left my Gamecube on all night too to get Mewtwo. I have no patience.

Tan

It always makes me sad when people say they don't want unlockable characters in fighting games. Unlockable characters are half the fun! You start out with a handful of neat characters, you learn to use them, and then you unlock a new one and suddenly the entire game shifts! Literally the only downside is lazy people and tournament play, and it'd be easy enough to wait a few months after the game releases and put out a free "Tourney Play" DLC that unlocks every character for VS mode automatically.

Unlocking Ness in Smash 64 was one of the highlights of my early gaming career.

What? No. Playing the game is all the fun. Because the game is/should be fun.

And there's no reason to wait a few months, just have a cheatcode that unlocks all of them right away.

Anth0ny

I discovered Mewtwo and Game and Watch by buying the Melee Player's Guide. Mind was fucking blown into a million pieces. Hard to replicate that feeling with the Internet nowadays.

When I learned how to unlock Mewtwo, I was hesitant, because I didn't want to leave my new Gamecube on all night.

But I said fuck it because IT'S MEWTWO IN SMASH BROTHERS

Ryce

I'm going to disappear from GAF once the game comes out, because the feeling of unlocking characters in Smash Bros. without actually knowing who they are beforehand seems like the most magical thing in the world.

rekameohs

Banned
What? No. Playing the game is all the fun. Because the game is/should be fun.

And there's no reason to wait a few months, just have a cheatcode that unlocks all of them right away.

Actually, having a cheat code to unlock everyone, as well as the usual way of unlocking might be a smart idea. Both sides could have their way.

Mark1

What other third party characters were requested to be in Smash Bros? Sonic and Mega Man being the most requested, I hadn't heard of many others talked about...

I want Sonic back for this game.

Platy

Todays picture

lA0I01q.jpg

APw9fQS.jpg

Unlocking Captain Falcon and Marth were my favorite New Challenger moments. Even though, I didn't know who they were at the time.

Mewtwo as well, but then I had the chance to play as him.

:/

DaBoss

Imagine a kid at the time of Melee, who know nothing about the game. He plays it for hours with friends and believes to have unlock anything. Then one day, out of nowhere, at a playing session with some buddy's, a text pops up: "A New Challenger appears". Sakurai includes those unlockables, to see the blood from the exploding heads of those kids on the wall!
That was me in Melee. I loved it. I love surprises and then having to beat them to unlock them. Even if I knew the character was in the game, it would show up suddenly and that would be a part of the surprise.

Roo

If Nintendo doesn't make a Gamecube-shaped/Smash-branded Wii U controller for the launch of the new Smash Bros they are missing out on a lot of fucking money.

I'd pay $60 for one without batting an eye because of how much I know i'd use it.

Or you know... move on and let the GC controller go.
adapt or die >:)

Mark1

You know how they said they couldn't add Villager and Ridley (I believe) in Brawl? Was it because they weren't suited for it? Well Villager's in this, what are the odds of Ridley entering the battle considering how popular he is?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You know how they said they couldn't add Villager and Ridley (I believe) in Brawl? Was it because they weren't suited for it? Well Villager's in this, what are the odds of Ridley entering the battle considering how popular he is?

He has high chances of entering as a boss battle.

Berordn

Ridley's inclusion (in some form) is almost assured. Be it as a fighter, stage hazard, boss or stage himself.

No. And I don't see why you would.

Smash doesn't have the general Low/Weak Mid/Normal High/Strong Punch/Kick scheme that asks for 4-6 different attack buttons.
You could map the other four buttons as jump, shield, c-stick smashes, D-Pad taunts.

One unique thing about unlocking characters in Smash is that you actually had to beat them in a match most of the time, I remember when I first came across Ness in 64 and even though it was just a normal mode difficulty match up it managed to be a close call, it puts you on edge, maybe.

Ridley's inclusion (in some form) is almost assured. Be it as a fighter, stage hazard, boss or stage himself.

That's the best way to handle things if he is in fact too big.
Somehow the stage would still incorporate rising acid/lava.

Word going around is the games creator is cutting story mode from the game because cutscenses have been uploaded online thats a terrible terrible excuse

Mark1

I don't care if we get Dark Samus as a fighter, I just want another Metroid rep. ZSS doesn't count. :p
Another Metroid character would be fantastic. Dark Samus would be kickass, as long as she is not a clone. She had a few unique moves in the Prime games to make Luigi style character.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No clue just an article on yahoo talking about it

Wow, why is this piece of old news just circulating? lol

Anyway it's just him trolling. He won't be cutting anything other than SSE. It's pretty much what you have in Melee/64/Classic and All Star Brawl as far as endings are concerned.

afoni

Banned

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Word going around is the games creator is cutting story mode from the game because cutscenses have been uploaded online thats a terrible terrible excuse

What the hell? That can't be why.
Story mode was great, though. Don't cut it, Sakurai!

daakusedo

There's that cool part in the first trailer where Mario and Bowser jump on the ring and I wondered if it was made for trailer purpose or just regular jumps, looking at it, I think there's platforms outside of the ring but I'm not sure and also if there's a floor or not...

afoni said:
Yeah, but that's totally reasonable and fine.

Kurtofan said:
There wasn't any fighting game characters in previous opuses and besides I can't think of a Nintendo fighting game series besides Smash obviously.

I know, I'm fine with this too. Just want to share this confirmation from Sakurai that fighting game characters from tekken or capcom won't be in the game.

We're so starved for news that we're repeating the same stale old tidbits over and over again to each other like it's actually new information.

Village

We're so starved for news that we're repeating the same stale old tidbits over and over again to each other like it's actually new information.

I think it was one of those times where you hear something so dumb you do not notice it, but later you double take and you realise what you heard was all types of dumbass. We just did it collectively

But what if I liked SSE? :(

Sakurai doesn't like you apprently

I like Dark Samus but I have a feeling they wouldn't pick any Prime reps. :/

Besides Ridley I'm at a loss as to what they could do otherwise.

Well, the top choices would be Ridley and Dark Samus.

Other options include Adam Malkovich and Anthony Higgs from Other M, The other bounty hunters from Prime 3 and Hunters, and SA-X (Although this one would be a bit more clone-ish than Dark Samus)

Top Bottom