• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is nearing its 6th month of release, come post your thoughts and impressions!

Playing slime-san on it now, and it's perfect for this type game. Just pick it up and hammer out some time trails. Haven't played it once on the tv, but I played Zelda mostly on the tv. It's great.

They need to add virtual console games though. I really want to play GameCube games on the thing.

Really can't find a reason yo buy this thing right now and surprisingly my kids just aren't interested. The console being so weak I see 3rdo parties ditching it for their main games in the not too distant future and I find it awkward as a handheld. The accessories and pricing on rehashes with a few additional unlocks is lame as fuck.

Jawmuncher

I like the portability but I need more games that interest me. Thankfully this holiday of Fire Emblem, Mario, and Xeno will probably be more than enough.

Gravy100

Think it could be my favourite console version in a long time, it's so unique and portable, I've brought it on holiday and had a great time playing mario kart and jackbox with family and love going un-docked and playing some Zelda when I can.

Amazing machine, think it has a bright future.

haimon

I got one while in Italy on vacation. Figured it would cost a lot less than here in Israel (and I was right), so I got it.

Played a bit of Zelda on it and it's been gathering dust ever since.

Hopefully something that interests me comes out on it soon or I might just sell it.

zoodoo

It bothers me that we still dont have any app: web browser, youtube, netflix etc... Do we have any news on that?

sleepnaught

Love the hardware, needs more games still. Problem right now is, there's usually a month or two between any games I care about. I pretty much play that 1 game for a month straight and get burned out on it. Its hard to go back to Zelda, MK8, or even Splatoon 2 because I put way too much time in a short span that they lose any lasting appeal to me.

VeeP

Bought a Switch in June/July.

BoTW: A+

Probably my top 5 games this generation. I haven't finished it yet and have put in roughly sixty hours. Right now I'm just doing a slow burn and playing/exploring everyday.

Sonic Mania: A

Great game. Level design, music, graphics, etc. everything fires on all cylinders. The bonus Puyo Puyo game is a lot of fun as well.

Mario Kart 8: A

I played wayyyy too much Mario Kart 7, so I'm a bit burned out on Mario Kart tbh. But the graphics, controls, content, etc. in this game are all top notch.

Puyo Puyo Tetris Demo: A

I want to buy this game, but I can't justify the high price. I already have (not as good) Puyo in the form Sonic Mania's Mean Bean Machine, and I have Tetris on my phone. And chances are I wouldn't be playing online or couch 2P, just against the CPU

Mario Rabbids

Most likely will be my next purchase. Looks really solid.

I haven't booted up my Switch much in the last few weeks. Zelda was incredible, and MK8D & Splatoon kept me busy for a little while, but the Switch is in dire need of more indie, Virtual Console, & 3rd party support to fill the gaps between first-party releases. Sonic Mania is the anomaly in a series of average-to-mediocre indie releases that have been dumped on the eShop in recent weeks.

The Switch is bar none my favorite piece of gaming hardware I own, but unless Hollow Knight, Stardew Valley, Yooka-Laylee, etc. drop in the next few weeks, I won't be using it much until the end of October.

Even though Nintendo is throwing all their first-party muscle at the Switch, it still doesn't feel like it's quantity enough to keep me using the system as regularly as I'd like to. It's been a pretty good start so far (MILES better than the Wii U launch), but it's got a long way to go.

My grades:

Zelda: A+
Thumper: B+
Snipperclips: B+
Splatoon 2: B+
MK8D: B+
Puyo Puyo Tetris: B
Kamiko: B-
Fast RMX: B-
Blaster Master Zero: B-
ARMS: C+
Snake Pass: C
Binding of Isaac: C
Cave Story: C

Games I want before the year is up:

Mario x Rabbids
Rocket League
Rayman Legends
Mario Odyssey
Skyrim

You know what's really shocking? Nintendo has software momentum through to the end of the year. Feels like it has been unheard of in a while, especially after 3DS and Wii U.

Looking forwards to Rabbids!

Realeza

Banned
Fucking awesome system. I've played at least 20 games on it so far, and it has provided lots of entertainment.

The one thing I'm missing is sports games, which hopefully should be addressed with FIFA and NBA2K.

Jmille99

I like what they went for, now I just wish I had more to play on it. Most of the indies on the system Im not interested in, while Zelda and Splatoon didnt leave the same impression on me as it did most people.

So I have hardware that I think is awesome, with a desire for more games. I mostly only play it just to feel like my purchase didnt go to waste.

Bring on Odyssey!

OmegaFax

According to my Play Activity, I've clocked in almost 300 hours of Zelda since launch. I went for every single suit upgrade, side quest, and Korok Seed ... not to mention every piece of DLC content and the entire set of Master Trials. I really feel like I got my money's worth out of this game and some.

I still play it for the sake of kicking back and exploring, playing with enemy AI, and a general appreciation for the game.

I have plenty of other games in my collection both digitally and in cartridge form. The only game I didn't like was The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+. It has a lot of praise and a community of fans but I it never clicked with me. I don't expect every game to be an insta-win but I am a more casual gamer.

Sonic Mania is very addicting and I keep coming back to it. I prefer pick-up and play casual gaming. There's an overwhelming amount of sidescrollers (Blaster Master Zero, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero, and Shovel Knight + NeoGeo Metal Slug) which are all nice fillers or titles to pick up and play a level or two.

ARMS is great but feels a bit anemic in terms of content. Like Splatoon before it, ARMS is Nintendo's way of making an early access game into a production cartridge. Datamining has shown a lot of promise in the future but it feels like outside of Brass Max (who was a boss character ... and his stage which was featured prior him being playable). I feel like Splatoon 2 had more to build on since it is an expansion/sequel and there are already Splatfest stages, normal stages, weapons, that have come out in the first month of release vs. ARMS in the last two.

I'm content with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because I knew what I would get in the package. New characters, Battle Mode, All normal and DLC tracks. It's a pretty complete package out the gate.

I feel bad though because I haven't played it nearly as much because I feel that the matchmaking for the online multiplayer (which is the main way I play ARMS, Splatoon 2, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe) is incredibly lacking and antiquated. There's too much wait and not enough matchmaking that takes you to an empty lobby vs. a match you have to spectate for a few minutes before you get it.

and that's my thing with Nintendo's line-up so far outside of Zelda. They're multiplayer experiences from a company known to half-ass anything they do online. Looking forward to the wave of single player games like Rabbids/Mario, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade 2, and Super Mario Odyssey.

My big criticism is ARMS had no business releasing a month before Splatoon 2. They made a relatively new concept with new IP and it quickly got overshadowed by a tried and true follow-up to a popular Wii U shooter.

I honestly haven't booted up my Switch much in the last few weeks. Zelda was incredible, and MK8D & Splatoon kept me busy for a little while, but the Switch is in dire need of more indie, Virtual Console, & 3rd party support to fill the gaps between first-party releases.

..but unless Hollow Knight, Stardew Valley, etc. drop in the next few weeks, I won't be using it much until the end of October.

Same, and I completely agree.

My grades:

Zelda: A
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero: A
MK8D: B
Splatoon 2: B

Backlog:

Cave Story
Bulb boy

RCU005

Well, I preordered it and used it every single minute of the day playing Zelda. Then I bought Mario Kart 8 and played it until it got really frustrating and dropped it.

My Switch's battery only lasts like 40 minutes (when it used to last 3-4 hours playing Zelda), so I think it's broken. I bought it in Japan, and I don't live in the US to know if it can be fixed or replaced.

I haven't used it since June, although I plan to get Mario Odyssey and Mario+Rabbits before the end of the year. Too bad I will be stuck in TV mode.

I really hope Nintendo redesigns the Switch, because the build quality overall is very disappointing. My PS Vita hasn't had any issues at all with battery or anything else for 4 years, and the Switch already look cheap in just six months (and I take care of it, and clean it every week even when I don't use it).

The PRO controller is the best part of the Switch! Amazing controller, and the battery lasts for months!

Bought it, played some demos and i have not powered on since then.

Waiting in mario oddesy

Edit. Will always be docked as I don't use portable gaming software.

My Switch's battery only lasts like 40 minutes (when it used to last 3-4 hours playing Zelda), so I think it's broken. I bought it in Japan, and I don't live in the US to know if it can be fixed or replaced.

Have you tried the official Nintendo fix?

The games speak for themselves I think:

Breath of the Wild: the best Zelda and one of the best games I've ever played.

Mario Kart 8: the best MK and one of the best games I've ever played.

Puyo Puyo Tetris: the best version of both Puyo Puyo and Tetris on console; one of the best games I've ever played.

Splatoon 2: my favorite online multiplayer shooter with an amazing community.

Monster Hunter XX: a match made in heaven.

That's not including the other third party games like Shovel Knight, Sonic Mania and Hollow Knight that are made better by the Switch's handeld utility.

My only gripes with the console are 2: the wifi range is too small and that the handheld mode is uncomfortable with certain games. I rather play tabletop mode than handheld for games like Splatoon and MH because I'm always fighting the controls with these games. The lack of VC and the shitty eshop are also problems but those are things that can be remedied with an update. In conclusion I am very happy with my Switch purchase.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The only reason I wanted one was to play MH XX and it's not being localized, so since you're asking, OP, my impressions of the Switch is: 100% worthless right now. :(

At least my boyfriend was happy with Zelda I guess...

Spinluck

I love this thing.

Best part is having my younger family members try it and be blown away by Zelda in portable mode.

Just came back from a wedding and didn't get to play it once because they were on it the whole trip lol.

I hope Nintendo stays on this path, I think the Switch is something special.

shwimpy

It's fine? Has good games. Really uncomfortable in handheld mode.
I can not, for the life of me, get used to the adjacent placement of the right stick. It is SO uncomfortable. Thankfully the pro controller is perfection.

Other than that, I put 70 hours in Zelda, 50 hours in Splatoon 2 and am patiently waiting for Mario/Rabbids. I feel like I got my money's worth.

Cartho

Might be my favourite console in years. It has such a sublime concept that I just don't care about the lack of uber graphics - I can get those on other platforms. It's got excellent games with even more coming. Overall, a wonderfully built system with a very bright future ahead of it.

Delighted with my pre-order.

Zukkoyaki

I don't have a whole lot to say since I've only had it for a month. But some quick thoughts regardless:

- Great physical design, looks and feels amazing
- I adore the simple, clean UI
- Mario Kart 8 is stellar

Honestly... That's it haha. I barely use it. Mostly bought it as an investment for future releases like SMT, Kirby and Yoshi.

Zetta

I'll be getting one for the Mario Odyssey launch but my nephew is enjoying the hell out of it. I just fear that after Mario I won't be touching it for quite a while.

Blindy

Have only played ARMS, and the Splatoon 2 demo on it. Not enough apps ala Youtube or Twitch on it, not much of a virtual console and not enough games in my liking. It's collecting dust and I just got it in June. Thank god for Mario Odyssey this October.

Lack of trophy/achievement support also sucks which is why I got Sonic Mania on PS4 and not Switch.

Have the Pro controller and everything, I just want to sink my teeth in some must play games on this console. Maybe I bite into Mario + Rabbids, IDK.

Qassim

I love the Switch itself, mostly. System software and functionality is ridiculously underdeveloped, but I don't mind that so much. Zelda: BoTW is one of my all time favourite games, and it being portable too (I played a fair amount of it on my commutes to and from work) made it all the better.

But I didn't play much after that. Mario Kart 8 is good, but I've never been into Mario Kart. I've always thought Splatoon was lame and the Splatoon 2 test days didn't do anything to change that. ARMS has always looked unbelievably naff, too. Not interested in the slightest.

Bought Sonic Mania for it - which is great - good fit for the system. But yeah, only two games that have got any significant play time out of me, I don't regret the Switch, but it has mostly been left alone like the rest of the consoles.

Ricky 7

I really like using it, something about it is really appealing. Pretty cool how tiny the actual console is when you remove the Joycons.

I can see one for myself in the future. I really want one to play Zelda, Mario Odyssey and Shovel Knight. Still, I want to see how the online is going to work. Is there going to be a Virtual Console? Are there going to be themes? Is there going to be a Netflix app. Also wonder about the future line-up. I think I'll get one the moment either Pokemon Switch or Animal Crossing Switch are out. Features will be added by that time, more titles will be announced etc. I'd be able to pick one up with AC/Pokemon and then just work back through all the great games released before that. No months of waiting for something new. Pretty excited for that moment though.

Sec0nd

How long have the PS4 and Xbone been out?

Of course. That in it self isn't weird. But it's always just one row. One row of games that's mostly half empty. It's bizarre look. I don't follow gaming news regarding the Switch so that implies to me there is honestly either literally nothing to play. Or because it's half empty that games are selling out like crazy.

Really well put together thread OP.

Outside of Dreamcast, it's the most fun I've had with a console's 1st year so far. Between BotW, Puyo Tetris, Disgaea 5, Blaster Master, MGB and others, I literally don't have enough time to keep up with it's releases. And Mario Rabbids is around the corner. Super pumped.

jariw

It's only been out 6 months and has dozens of games. What were your expectations?

FWIW, the EU Nintendo eShop seems to currently list 108 games and the ARMS Global Testpunch.

Of course. That in it self isn't weird. But it's always just one row. One row of games that's mostly half empty. It's bizarre look. I don't follow gaming news regarding the Switch so that implies to me there is honestly either literally nothing to play. Or because it's half empty that games are selling out like crazy.

The CEO at Image & Form raised a similar concern himself at Gamescom just the other day - there are too few Switch games that get physical releases. That's why they were going to make a physical release of Steamworld Dig 2.

BTW, I have 36 Switch games, but only BotW is physical, everything else is digital. The convenience of not swapping cards is too great.

f@luS

More than a member.
Destroyed my expectation. I am almost finished with the my one month vacation. Playing puyo, Mario kart (beginner mode for her ), or arms with my GF in the bed view on the sea is priceless fun. For myself I'm amazed when I play Zelda. How does such a large game fits in my hand.
They couldn't have done more powerful with such a perfect portability. It's 75% handheld 25% docked for me and 100% amazing.

I have 18 games including indies (2 neogeo games that I don't play though ). My 19th game will be Mario rabbid

All that within 5 month. Amazing

Love my Switch! Very nearly cancelled my pre-order, so glad I didn't. I play purely in handheld mode, sold my TV!

My top 3 most played games are Splatoon 2, which I have played every day since it came out. Pure distilled fun! My game of the year, love how much personality it has.

Next is Zelda, which intellectually I can recognize is a brilliant game, but it hasn't clicked for me. I have played 40 hours, but right now I don't feel like finishing it.

My 3rd most played game is Graceful Explosion Machine. Perfect for those times when you have a few minutes free and want to play something quick and simple. Hopefully there will be a sequel one day.

I also have Fast RMX and World of Goo, but I have probably played less than 6-7 hours combined of them. I will come back to them at some point I am sure.

There are a few games out that I want but have not bought yet. Sonic, that Minigolf game and maybe Arms. I will buy Skyrim as I have never played it, Mario, and hopefully Stardew Valley this year as well.

oti

Banned
I love the Switch. Playing games while having something else on TV is great. Playing games out in the garden with my god daughter is also great. Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon are all amazing. Graceful Explosion Machine is great. Overcooked too (although the performance is bad). The only game I regret buying is Snake Pass. It's cute enough but not really for me.

Still have some games I want to buy, like Shovel Knight. I'm really looking forward to Mario Rabbids, Mario, Stardew Valley, Steam World Dig 2 and the Zelda DLC. All in all I'm really happy with it. Due to a price error I got it for 180 Euros though, so maybe I'm not as harsch as I would be if I paid full price.

seady

It's probably one of the systems with the most good games to play 6 months after launch. The amount of games worth playing on it in this short amount of time is surprising. It feels like a pretty mature system already.

Of coz there are always people who say "there are no games to play blah blah blah" without realizing the system is only less than 6 months old and not even reach its first holiday season.

Sorbete

The Pro Controller is amazing!! Best Controller since the GC, too bad it doesn't have and octogonal gate.

As for the games:

BOTW: Second best game ever IMO, only behind ALTTP.

• Splatoon 2: I recommend this game to everyone who is ask for the Switch, It's my first recommendation even above BOTW because Zelda can wear you down if you are not into it.
  • ARMS: To tell the truth I only bought it to support the new IP, played the first Test Punch and enjoyed it, I've only put 5 hours in the full game, I guess much skill is needed to be somehow good, I just suck at this game I think.
  • Blaster Master Zero: Haven't put too much time into it but is a fun game with great ideas.

What I want to see/I'm anticipating:

• 2D Zelda: I love BOTW but man just beat it yesterday, I'm fine with a game like that every 4 years or so, in the meantime I'll take a 2D Zelda which are awesome.
  • 2D or third person Metroid: Sorry everyone I just can't play First Person games, I've tried multiple times, I just can't.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X 2: I know it's an unpopular opinion but I just prefered XCX over the original and XC2 is not doing it for me, still gonna buy it though.
  • Fire Emblem: Go back to the GC/Wii, I mean IS can keep the marriage stuff if they want, but make it good, I found that stuff pretty generic in Awakening and Fates. Bring back affinities and good support conversations, more political drama and more involvement from non main characters or their family.
  • Octopath Traveler: Really don't know what to expect from this, I just hope it's basically a classic FF with QOL improvements and knew gameplay ideas.
  • Pokemon: Let me play as an adult trainer and let me choose my hometown. easy EV training.
  • Splatoon 2: Let me post draws using the Smartphone App.
  • Devil Survivor 3: The first two were awesome, haven't played the remakes though.
  • Codename STEAM successor: Switch has the power to make a game like STEAM but with clearer graphics, bigger maps and bigger parties.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Love it overall. There's a few niggles. The whole needing a phone app thing is stupid, and the menu is so barren of personality. Nevertheless, it has by far the best launch software of any console I've owned. Playing Zelda in Bed = <3 It has a bright future ahead of it.

guyssorry

I love it, and I think its first 9 months are probably the best first 9 months (software-related) for any system that I have ever owned. The concept of the system is convenient and fantastic. Also, BOTW is in my top 5 games ever. Overall, excited for its future.

Top Bottom