• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crystal Maze is back; David Tennant hosting one-off special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why no Richard O'Brien? Will they keep the theme tune the same? Will there still be an Aztec zone?

So many questions.

I would actually LOVE to see him as a contestant, see how good he is!

I hope Tennant learns to play the Harmonica, as nothing beats the tension sounding music of that harmonica.

GOAT show, I hope Future Zone is there as well, it was like a Red Dwarf set! Ah the pressing the buttons on the keypads by the doors as if they served a purpose!

Tregard

Soothsayer
I think we may have had this conversation before :)

Yep.

That was people getting their wires crossed about The Door, I think.

Actually, all this discussion makes me wonder who would be a good fit as a female mazemaster.

Aah sorry about that! I frequently get deja vu like that.

On the subject of female Mazemaster, I default to my usual answer for this sort of thing

sue-perkins.jpg

Ithil

I hope they will have a mandatory IQ test. Anyone scoring over 100 will not be allowed to compete, to keep the quality consistent with the classic series.

krang

Well I guess that's probably the best you can do without paying for Cumberbatch - the ultimate modern maze master.

The Crystal Maze to return to Channel 4 for Stand Up To Cancer.

Celebrity Special to be Produced by Fizz and filmed at Live London Experience

After a 21-year absence from our screens, celebrated adventure gameshow The Crystal Maze is returning to air as part of Channel 4’s Stand Up To Cancer campaign this October. Stand Up To Cancer is a joint national fundraising campaign from Cancer Research UK and Channel 4.

Comedian, writer and actor Stephen Merchant will host the one-off special guiding a team of celebrity contestants around the Aztec, Medieval, Futuristic and Industrial zones before sending them in to face the fans in the iconic Crystal Dome.

Stephen said: "As a huge fan of the original series, I’m honoured to support Stand Up To Cancer by hosting this one-off edition of The Crystal Maze. Richard O’Brien and Ed Tudor-Pole leave big shoes to fill, but I have size 14 feet, so I’ll do my best."

The team of famous faces from the worlds of entertainment and sport who are limbering up to crack The Crystal Maze will be announced soon. Rather than win a day out at an adventure park (or the booby prize of a replica crystal) each of our celebrities will be playing for time in the Crystal Dome – the gold and silver tokens they collect will all raise money for Stand Up To Cancer.

The special will be filmed in London at The Crystal Maze Live Experience created by Little Lion Entertainment, and is produced for Channel 4 by Fizz (part of RDF). The Crystal Maze was recreated as a live experience earlier this year by Little Lion Entertainment who are building a selection of old favourites and new games for the special.

Interesting choice.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I feel like Tennant would have been an great maze master, he's got the personality and charm and people would have watched for him. Merchant is enjoyable in stuff, but he isn't someone I would have picked for this, I'd have to see him in the role as I can't see it in my head.

It's gone from something I would have caught on the night to something I'll catch up with afterwards.

RetroMG

I have no idea what this is, but I'm pretty sure that I'm contractually obligated to watch anything with David Tennant in it.

EDIT: No Tennant? Boooo.

decaf

Are they using the live version studio to film it?

Would love to see this and Knightmare back on the box.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Are they using the live version studio to film it?

Would love to see this and Knightmare back on the box.

Yep! And also they're building a new, bigger "Live Experience" in Manchester, which several people have speculated would be used to film a full series with less restrictions on space and such.

Also, the idea of replacing the zones has been bounced about on Bothers' Bar, whilst I feel like replacing the zones would be a potential disaster, some interesting ideas were suggested:

- Victorian
- Polar
- Ancient Rome
- Subterranean/Bunker
- Pirate

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Tennant isn't hosting, Stephen Merchant is. He said if it comes back properly he probably won't host though.
Nooo! Darn the title being wrong.

Still watching tonight though, hopefully.

Please don't be shit please don't be shit please don't be shit.

This is proper exciting though. A proper OH BUGGER moment when I realised I'm at a standup gig tonight, sooo, it better be on All4 pretty damn quickly because I will watch it the second I'm back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom