• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crystal Maze is back; David Tennant hosting one-off special

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

It does feel a bit wrong to have the Dome played for money, but when it's a charity gig that's the only thing that really works.

Coxy100

Banned
I enjoyed it - merchant was good, his one liners were great. Great to see the original host at the beginning too. Would love it if we got a proper series. Proper gladiators and proper crystal maze would be amazing (my dream)

sammex

I enjoyed it - merchant was good, his one liners were great. Great to see the original host at the beginning too. Would love it if we got a proper series. Proper gladiators and proper crystal maze would be amazing (my dream)

Yes gladiators!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fgoNG_KU5M

Watching this old episode of CM - how embarrassing falling in the water before you even make it to the zone.

The RC car avoid the mines type game at 43:40 always used to be a favourite when I was little.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Loved the show and we'll watch this for sure, will have to be on catchup.

Was there ever a rule that stopped people picking the tokens off the floor? They always seemed so inefficient flailing around trying to catch them from the air lol.

From what I remember actually, during the original series most contestants did just pick up the tokens on the floor. They then re-recorded the whole bit with them jumping around catching them like lunatics to make it look better on TV, since seeing people grab things off the floor for 40 seconds is sort of boring.

It was just as good as I hoped it would be! Smerch's lines were a little too current for my liking is my one gripe (other than the unavoidable scale of the location), but I'm sure whoever they cast as the full-time Mazemaster for a new series would be doing more of their own thing. I heard some really good suggestions for full time hosts; my two favourites were Simon Amstell and Isy Suttie (although I'd also go with Sue Perkins, Greg Davies, or Bill Bailey)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just watched a bit of the first on YouTube. Kind of cool, in a classic old way. And cool in a normal cool way, too. Wish I had known sooner.

Prizes seemed a bit easy and the set looked so cheap and awful.
Merchant was great, hope they make a proper series with a real set and pleb public contestants.

mclem

I just watched a bit of the first on YouTube. Kind of cool, in a classic old way. And cool in a normal cool way, too. Wish I had known sooner.

If you've only just found The Crystal Maze, then in similarly unique and interesting gameshows from that era, go find Knightmare.

Was out when it was on (poor timing, Jon) and so watched it on demand overnight.

I'm happy! They could have ruined it, but they took it in good humour and sort of seriously enough. It's not 100% what I would want from a serious - ramp up the games, squeeze more of them in, Merchant's lines felt a bit too scripted rather than spontaneous, and the obvious limitations of the experience not being a TV set.

That said - they did exactly what it needed to for that show. Many of those details were what made it work as a special. I was smiling throughout, I think the idea still works today, and if you could properly invest in a set (cough cough Manchester) you could get the full impressiveness it's known for.

Oh and Rio, what a vacuum of charisma. Didn't even learn anyone's names in an entire name of filming.

We noticed Rio failing to remember anyone's names too. It got pretty funny by the end.
uhhh this guy

yeah

him at the end

her

you

*puts hands on shoulders*

*pointing*

When they got Sara Cox as deputy captain to pick a game, you knew they were just trying to cover for the personality void

mclem

3.1M. They've gotta be pleased with that, and I think that's the sort of figure that'll get the bigwigs thinking very seriously about having a word with the people behind the Manchester version of the Experience.

(To put it in perspective, Robot Wars's new series started at 2M, and levelled out at 1.5M or so for the series as a whole)

sohois

Yes gladiators!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fgoNG_KU5M

Watching this old episode of CM - how embarrassing falling in the water before you even make it to the zone.

The RC car avoid the mines type game at 43:40 always used to be a favourite when I was little.

Oh shit, that's the Howard episode.

That guy was the best goddamn contestant I ever saw in the show. Just smashed every game he played. Naturally the rest of his team were a bunch of dopes - as evidenced by the woman falling in the water - so they only ended up with like 4 crystals.

mclem

SomTervo

As far as I can see the only people complaining about Merchant are people who don't know him and think he's just some crap rando celebrity. My girlfriend's mum, for instance. Drips with confirmation bias.

That's the original Mumsy yes?

Don't think so.

Has Rio said anyone's name yet? I think he's forgotten them.

Throughout the show the phrase 'head trauma' kept popping into my mind.

Did brilliantly with young viewers, so with that audience, this has got to be probable now.

https://twitter.com/C4Press/status/787939383534096384

Yesssssssssssssss

"I know for a former Radio 1 DJ, a knock on the door can be terrifying!!"

LOL

That killed me

As far as I can see the only people complaining about Merchant are people who don't know him and think he's just some crap rando celebrity. My girlfriend's mum, for instance. Drips with confirmation bias.

Don't think so.

Yesssssssssssssss

That killed me

Merchant's jokes were absolutely spot on, didnt think his voice suited it properly though

Don't think so.

Yesssssssssssssss

That killed me

Im not a fan of merchant simply because I feel his humour tends to fall on the side of being mocking/ cynical. I don't think he would be a great host long term as I could see the contestants being 'against him' or at the very least have their backs up every time he singles one of them out.

Merchant is funny though and he was pretty on point with his one liners - maybe the tone of the show requires the host to be a bit darker?

I know the tenant rumours were off base but I could see him being funny but not at the expense of the contestants if that makes sense

Rio seemed like a empty vessel the entire time too, merchant asking him if we were cutting to a commercial break during one of his decision pauses got me

mclem

Merchant is funny though and he was pretty on point with his one liners - maybe the tone of the show requires the host to be a bit darker?

You do need the host to be a little bit antagonistic. They are the master, you are playing their games, and you are at their mercy. They should be never quite on the side of the contestants, while still being supportive.

pitchfork

Shit! was working last night and forgot this was on!

Will catch up on 4OD

They used to film the original in a hangar on the airfield in my home village, not sure where this is filmed though?

Shit! was working last night and forgot this was on!

Will catch up on 4OD

They used to film the original in a hangar on the airfield in my home village, not sure where this is filmed though?

It's in the Crystal Maze Experience in London. Basically, it as a themepark, so it's not built for TV scale and has to fit in a regular building, but you can pay and go and play the Crystal Maze for a few hours.

pitchfork

It's in the Crystal Maze Experience in London. Basically, it as a themepark, so it's not built for TV scale and has to fit in a regular building, but you can pay and go and play the Crystal Maze for a few hours.

Oh wow, cheers!

Might have to take a trip on the tube

Never did get a chance to visit the original set way back, despite being just over the road. Hangar was owned by Aces High Studios at the time

Nicktendo86

Oh wow, cheers!

Might have to take a trip on the tube

Never did get a chance to visit the original set way back, despite being just over the road. Hangar was owned by Aces High Studios at the time

Had a look last night and looks to be a bit pricey (Over £500 for a team of 6) but looks like it would be great fun.

mclem

If Merchant's humour had been a bit more clean I would have no problem showing this to my 6 year old daughter. She sometimes enjoys stuff like Ninja Warrior or Total Wipeout, so would probably enjoy TCM as well.

The only particularly naughty joke that springs to mind was the "knock on the door" one, and that'd go over a kid's head.

mclem

Had a look last night and looks to be a bit pricey (Over £500 for a team of 6) but looks like it would be great fun.

Worth mentioning it's booked a long way in advance; while you might find individual tickets sooner, you'll need to be thinking months ahead if you want to book a block.

If Merchant's humour had been a bit more clean I would have no problem showing this to my 6 year old daughter. She sometimes enjoys stuff like Ninja Warrior or Total Wipeout, so would probably enjoy TCM as well.

My 10 year old didnt even notice the couple of slightly risqué jokes (and even they could have been broadcast pre watershed)

I've only ever heard of Knightmare, but I've seen a couple of episodes of the show on youtube now, and all i can say is "DAMN, this would make an amazing VR game". Followed by "Damn, this would make an amazing theme park ride thing" (which already happened apparently :) )

EDIT:

Wait.

Stephen merchant is hosting a TV show where he plays a Bald, Pale, Crazy british man who shepherds people in Orange Jumpsuits through Vigorous Mental And Physical Tests.

300px-Wheatley.png

Well, it's official, folks:

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/the-crystal-maze-returns-to-channel-4-in-2017

Ayoade wasn't a name on my radar for Mazemaster, but he's very much the right sort of quirkiness, as long as he can nail the tone.

Interestingly, *not* at the Manchester version of the Experience, but actually making a classic purpose-built studio like the original series, down in Bristol.

Fantastic!

I can see Ayoade doing well with this, he has the right sense of humour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom