• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crystal Maze is back; David Tennant hosting one-off special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronen

Well, it's official, folks:

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/the-crystal-maze-returns-to-channel-4-in-2017

Ayoade wasn't a name on my radar for Mazemaster, but he's very much the right sort of quirkiness, as long as he can nail the tone.

Interestingly, *not* at the Manchester version of the Experience, but actually making a classic purpose-built studio like the original series, down in Bristol.

Ayoade's quirkiness and deadpan humour could work well with this. I am excited!

sammex

Good choice I reckon. Glad they're doing the purpose built studio, the come back was fun but looked odd without being initially made for filming.

Tregard

Soothsayer
DAvwz8iWAAI4fZ9.jpg

Looking fantastic

mclem

Any idea when this will televise? I'll definitely watch it. I like Ayoade and my 7 year old daughter will probably enjoy it too.

I suspect that if that promo pic means that they're shooting now then that'd be with a rough intent of screening in September.

Edit: A patron of the bar suggests that 'Coming Soon' generally means a 4-week lead time, and there's muttering around mid-June.

Edit2: C4's press release confirms June.

It's interesting not to see him go for a weird outfit but that's probably for the best. So June! Not long. Lovely lovely.

Is he about to host Blamieren oder Kassieren?

If I knew how to emoji here (or cared) there'd be some form of applause one.

JonnyKong

I did this today in Manchester, it was great fun, and so much harder than it looks on the TV!

Our "maze master" was hilarious, although not to everyone's taste, (he made a couple of jokes about ticking bombs)

mclem

The Last Leg (for non-UK folks: comedy chat show) had Richard Ayoade on it and they showed a clip of TCM - very short, just a brief shot of a game (presumably a Physical, very visual) and a little bit of an aside to camera. Unfortunately it's in the Industrial zone, so all I can really say about the set design is that it appears to have the requisite amount of corrugated iron.

Here it is

Clock graphic very clearly aping the original series. I've no idea why that was the first thing that caught my eye, but it was!

Tregard

Soothsayer
The Last Leg (for non-UK folks: comedy chat show) had Richard Ayoade on it and they showed a clip of TCM - very short, just a brief shot of a game (presumably a Physical, very visual) and a little bit of an aside to camera. Unfortunately it's in the Industrial zone, so all I can really say about the set design is that it appears to have the requisite amount of corrugated iron.

Here it is

Clock graphic very clearly aping the original series. I've no idea why that was the first thing that caught my eye, but it was!

Looks like you have to hit all the red buttons on the walls and then retrieve the crystal from the far side. As a new game, I like it a lot, I hope that's the sort of caliber they can keep up.

Also, looking to make it to the Manchester Maze in the near future!

mclem

Looks like you have to hit all the red buttons on the walls and then retrieve the crystal from the far side. As a new game, I like it a lot, I hope that's the sort of caliber they can keep up.

I hadn't noticed the red buttons! They look a little bit far out, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable leaning *that* far on a revolving platform. That said, since the player is heading *back* at that point, I wonder if there's any possiblity that each red button also starts the associated revolve, so they're all static st the start? Would add a nice little frisson of increasing challenge.and makes for a nice (nasty!) surprise as you start executing the challenge.

Presumably the lights on the 'target' represent the pressed buttons - I wonder if there's any significance to the fact that there's three of them for each button? I have to say, those are a little too 'fairground' for me.

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
I'm hoping that this won't be like a lot of modern-day gameshow revivals, and will actually be good and uphold the true spirit of the Crystal Maze.

I would have liked if Edward Tudor-Pole left a note in the first episode handing down the Crystal Maze to the new presenter.

Richard O'Brien will always be my favourite though. I'm hoping for more obnoxious off-putting quirks in this new series!

Tregard

Soothsayer
I'm hoping that this won't be like a lot of modern-day gameshow revivals, and will actually be good and uphold the true spirit of the Crystal Maze.

I would have liked if Edward Tudor-Pole left a note in the first episode handing down the Crystal Maze to the new presenter.

Richard O'Brien will always be my favourite though. I'm hoping for more obnoxious off-putting quirks in this new series!

Smerch got a note from Richard O'Brien in a sense, plus from some videos I've seen of Tudor-Pole at concerts, he doesn't have the fondest memories of Crystal Maze, unfortunately :/

I hadn't noticed the red buttons! They look a little bit far out, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable leaning *that* far on a revolving platform. That said, since the player is heading *back* at that point, I wonder if there's any possiblity that each red button also starts the associated revolve, so they're all static st the start? Would add a nice little frisson of increasing challenge.and makes for a nice (nasty!) surprise as you start executing the challenge.

Presumably the lights on the 'target' represent the pressed buttons - I wonder if there's any significance to the fact that there's three of them for each button? I have to say, those are a little too 'fairground' for me.

Yeah, was thinking about the platforms beginning as static, but seems a little easy then maybe? I suppose if it was a 2 minute game

mclem

I seem to be constantly ferrying information from the Bar to here at the moment! Still, have a (very little) bit more Industrial

It does look like they've got the visual damn near perfect. Very interested to see their approach on the other zones now.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I seem to be constantly ferrying information from the Bar to here at the moment! Still, have a (very little) bit more Industrial

It does look like they've got the visual damn near perfect. Very interested to see their approach on the other zones now.

That looks almost identical to original industrial, brilliant.

I'm getting really optimistic that they are going to nail this now. Also, seems about right that we're 4 weeks out from the premiere if they're doing a TV spot of each zone. They had a spot of the dome last week, so industrial this week, futuristic next probably, then medieval, and of course Aztec last.

Just thinking about the inevitable tie-in app. I would KILL for the to re-release the board game (A VR game wouldn't go amiss also)

JonnyKong

The industrial zone was quite tiny and a little disappointing in the Manchester experience. They definitely went more all out with the Aztec and Medieval zones there.

sammex

Future looked all white, very clean and minimalist. The others I saw were that industrial one already posted and a pan over the top of the dome looking down.

mclem

Have a little Aztec... and a launch date:

a4FlsGB.png

Not sure about starting the series with another celeb special. Can't quite identify them all; Ore Oduba and Louie Spence are obvious, I think that's Alex Brooker at the back. Having trouble with the women, and I particularly think I should be able to recognise the blonde. It's not Kimberly Wyatt, is it? The brunette's ringing a bell, too.

a4FlsGB.png

Not sure about starting the series with another celeb special. Can't quite identify them all; Ore Oduba and Louie Spence are obvious, I think that's Alex Brooker at the back. Having trouble with the women, and I particularly think I should be able to recognise the blonde. It's not Kimberly Wyatt, is it? The brunette's ringing a bell, too.

That is Alex Brooker, the blonde is one of the TOWIE girls, think Lydia Bright is her name? The girl always around Arge at least. Brunette I'm drawing a blank.

mclem

The blonde is one of the TOWIE girls, think Lydia Bright is her name?

Curious why I half-recognised her, then, I've never watched TOWIE, and I don't recall seeing her appear on anything else I'd have watched (I thought Kimberley Wyatt due to Murder in Successville)

Curious why I half-recognised her, then, I've never watched TOWIE, and I don't recall seeing her appear on anything else I'd have watched (I thought Kimberley Wyatt due to Murder in Successville)

I think she's getting a talk show or something. Some of these reality stars really do manage to pop up everywhere

Daffy Duck

a4FlsGB.png

I think the brunette is Vicky Pattison

So it's celebs?

I thought it was going to be Joe Public.

mclem

I think the brunette is Vicky Pattison

So it's celebs?

I thought it was going to be Joe Public.

It's generally the public, with a few commissioned as celebrity specials for SU2C. Wasn't expecting them to open with one, though, particularly given it's so far from the actual telethon!

Tregard

Soothsayer
It's generally the public, with a few commissioned as celebrity specials for SU2C. Wasn't expecting them to open with one, though, particularly given it's so far from the actual telethon!

Very confusing to me, maybe they are trying to maximise audience share? They know they'll have a crowd of folks who are just excited to see it back locked down, but they'll surely scoop a few more people up who are just watching for Vicky Pattinson etc.

Medieval: https://youtu.be/iT1YGc4GjIg

Future(...istic): https://youtu.be/IlUGZSdWR9Q

Is there even a telethon this year though? I thought we were on an off-year for the live show unless they've moved annually, and now just occasional other campaign bits.

Anyway that aside both those zones look cool. Very exciting to see it back.

mclem

Is there even a telethon this year though? I thought we were on an off-year for the live show unless they've moved annually, and now just occasional other campaign bits.

2015 didn't have a telethon, but did have a run of branded programmes. I was expecting the same this year.

mclem

Wait, so Tennant is out?

Tennant was never in. Heck, this thread started with talking about a one-off for Stand Up 2 Cancer (which was the original rumour, and was true, but had Stephen Merchant in the hosting role), and has since segued into talking about the series.

Lucreto

I think it's time of a proper OT thread. We have a start date and time and the Mazemaster announced.

Can't wait to relive my Childhood.

mclem

This is an exquisite idea, I'll get to work ASAP. Any subtitle suggestions?

"A child of six could do this. Fetch me a child of six"
"The things people do to go pony trekking in Ullswater"
"WILL YOU START NEW FANS, PLEASE"
"Twenty-five years, and we still haven't learned a thing"
"TOOOOOO THE CRYSTAL DOOOOOOOME!"
"Mumsey awaits"
"From Richard, to Ed, to Richard"
"It's a mystery why we lost the mental skills to make physical gameshows"
"From the very SECOND I close the door"

Lucreto

The Crystal Maze |OT| To the Crystal Dome!

The Crystal Maze |OT| Will you start the fans, please!

The Crystal Maze |OT| A Quest for Crystals and dodgy prizes.

"A child of six could do this. Fetch me a child of six"
"The things people do to go pony trekking in Ullswater"
"WILL YOU START NEW FANS, PLEASE"
"Twenty-five years, and we still haven't learned a thing"
"TOOOOOO THE CRYSTAL DOOOOOOOME!"
"Mumsey awaits"
"From Richard, to Ed, to Richard"
"It's a mystery why we lost the mental skills to make physical gameshows"
"From the very SECOND I close the door"

Nice Groucho Marx :)

mclem

The entire OT should be random shouts of NO THE OTHER WAY

NO TURN THE THING

THE OTHER THING

BACKWARDS

Accompanied with the Mary Whitehouse Experience sketch. And as we can understand now, the problem is that there's just not enough blades involved.

(And Maid Marian and Her Merry Men. And Dungeons And Dragons. And Cardinal Burns. And the token cameo in Crystal Kingdom Dizzy...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom