• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
PC settings

lxyhyt.jpeg
Above recommended system requirement(3800X vs 3600X, 2080 Ti vs 2080) gets you dynamic res FSR 2 1440p @ under 60fps using high settings? FSR 2 1440p starts at 960p base resolution in Quality mode. That's pretty fucking rough for recommend hardware.

I have a really similar setup to the leaker. I guess I'll wait on some performance reviews to see what's up.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
There’s some new info about the game that doesn’t sound too hot.

Tiles don’t stitch. If you land outside of New Atlantis, city is nowhere to be seen on the horizon etc.

You have a limited number of landing zones. Once you reach that limit and pick a new landing zone, one of the ones you already had will be erased forever.

Fuck.

Last edited:

geary

Tiles don’t stitch. If you land outside of New Atlantis, city is nowhere to be seen on the horizon etc.

You have a limited number of landing zones. Once you reach that limit and pick a new landing zone, one of the ones you already had will be erased forever.

Fuck.
I ok with that....I dont know, seems like everyone tries to make a big deal out of every single fucking thing. What piece of hardware would be able to do what Starfield wants to do and also have seamless exploration on 1000 planets.

Once reviews drop, streams start and early access kicks in… it’s going to be crazy.
Would be really curious to see the numbers if it did not have 1 week early access.

I am still on the fence in regards of early access...I wonder if FOMO wins by Friday.

Fuck.
Nothing of that is really that important.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I ok with that....I dont know, seems like everyone tries to make a big deal out of every single fucking thing. What piece of hardware would be able to do what Starfield wants to do and also have seamless exploration on 1000 planets.

Not seamless is fine. But this is beyond not seamless. It’s nonsensical. It’s just stupid. Terrain should stitch together.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member

Interesting way to tackle things if true. Not sure how I’d feel about every part being a separate area, not to mention possibly only existing once.

Having tiles that load in like that does sound like it’d be easier for them to actually provide combinations of meaningful content though..

Definitely some give and take with this concept. We’ll know how it turns out soon enough. I’m not against it if it works well.

geary

Interesting way to tackle things if true. Not sure how I’d feel about every part being a separate area, not to mention possibly only existing once.

Having tiles that load in like that does sound like it’d be easier for them to actually provide combinations of meaningful content though..

Definitely some give and take with this concept. We’ll know how it turns out soon enough. I’m not against it if it works well.
I think they mentioned that 2 players landing on the same zone (tile) might have different experience (i take that different landscape and procedural events).

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
u grids to load
its the same setting , only pushed further back

I'll be testing this myself on Friday but I have a feeling that this entire tile system is half assed. It should stitch. If I land in place X and see a mountain on the horizon to my north, when I go back and pick a landing spot north of that mountain, the mountain still should be there south of me. If it's not there and I have a completely random terrain, that's fucking stupid, I'm sorry.

Fredrik

Above recommended system requirement(3800X vs 3600X, 2080 Ti vs 2080) gets you dynamic res FSR 2 1440p @ under 60fps using high settings? FSR 2 1440p starts at 960p base resolution in Quality mode. That's pretty fucking rough for recommend hardware.

I have a really similar setup to the leaker. I guess I'll wait on some performance reviews to see what's up.
I think Steam system requirements is what the dev think is needed to give you a Good™ experience, unfortunately no guarantee that it’ll give you 60fps.
If you land outside of New Atlantis, city is nowhere to be seen on the horizon etc.
Wait what, biggest city and you can’t see it outside of the walls?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I'll be testing this myself on Friday but I have a feeling that this entire tile system is half assed. It should stitch. If I land in place X and see a mountain on the horizon to my north, when I go back and pick a landing spot north of that mountain, the mountain still should be there south of me. If it's not there and I have a completely random terrain, that's fucking stupid, I'm sorry.
If thirs is true you have devastated me my friends times to get drunk again

timothet

Spoiler, terrain outside of New Atlantis:

Seems like getting jetpack perk is a must have in this game. There is a lot of empty space between POIs to cover, even on not-barren planets.
IMO it's a weird choice to not have jetpack as stardard equipment with ability to upgrade it, but meh, maybe there is in-game reason for it. As long as the perk is not locked behind other requirements it should be fine.

I suppose they took some difficult decisions here.

And weren't expecting this to be scrutinized this much.

Personally, I will be playing game the way they intended. Will not revisit planets unless quest related cause there are so many of them.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Fuck.

Spoiler, terrain outside of New Atlantis:

This looks fucking amazing. It doesn't really matter, there could be any good reason why you couldn't see the outline of the city but it will be due to the random generated tile I am sure of it. Also, if it's randomly generated it doesn't matter at all.

Tell me one game that looks as good or huge as this game. We do not have hardware or tech that could do that to this scale I don't think.

Of course there will be some little suspensions of disbelief, but like the guy says. The only thing people want to look for with this game is the negatives.

Robb

Gold Member
I think they mentioned that 2 players landing on the same zone (tile) might have different experience (i take that different landscape and procedural events).
Thats not what I expected from this title tbh. But I’m not going to complain until I’ve tried it.

One of my biggest fears have been that there would be 900 planets that were procedurally generated and just empty. With this tile thing I take it they’d be able to generate areas with a lot of different properties and events in place no matter the planet, which would be great as long as there’s a lot of variety in what’s actually generated.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This looks fucking amazing. It doesn't really matter, there could be any good reason why you couldn't see the outline of the city but it will be due to the random generated tile I am sure of it. Also, if it's randomly generated it doesn't matter at all.

Tell me one game that looks as good or huge as this game. We do not have hardware or tech that could do that to this scale I don't think.

Of course there will be some little suspensions of disbelief, but like the guy says. The only thing people want to look for with this game is the negatives.

Check my post history, I'm not looking for negative things to say about this game. I'm as hyped as one can be. But this... if this is true it's so fucking stupid I can't even wrap my head around it. I land. I explore. I see a cool spot for a base. It's outside of this tile. Well, okay, let me move my ship... and it's fucking gone, now the terrain is random and that cool spot is gone forever. This would be some next-level bullshit.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Check my post history, I'm not looking for negative things to say about this game. I'm as hyped as one can be. But this... if this is true it's so fucking stupid I can't even wrap my head around it. I land. I explore. I see a cool spot for a base. It's outside of this tile. Well, okay, let me move my ship... and it's fucking gone, now the terrain is random and that cool spot is gone forever. This would be some next-level bullshit.
why you stop saying stuffs I dont like

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Lol.

Start screengate.
Bordergate.
Tilegate.

We must be nearing liftoff.

One thing that’s worse than people who troll and try to shit on the game for no reason are people like you that will laugh at an honest discussion by people who are seriously interested in the game. Lol indeed.

Chukhopops

Are you sure about the gone forever part? Seeded generation should produce the exact same landscape every time no?

I don’t see why they would randomize the seed as it would create tons of issues.

Just speculating of course.

TrueGrime

One thing that’s worse than people who troll and try to shit on the game for no reason are people like you that will laugh at an honest discussion by people who are seriously interested in the game. Lol indeed.

An honest discussion about concern from secondhand recorded spoilers on a game that the vast majority of gamers haven't played with a Day 1 patch that's inbound that hasn't been implemented yet and I can't lol about the start screen outrage? I mean... by all means, continue discussion. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I think Steam system requirements is what the dev think is needed to give you a Good™ experience, unfortunately no guarantee that it’ll give you 60fps.
Yeah, it's kind of ambiguous what they mean with the hardware requirements. I like when they release the requirements with settings, resolution, and frame rate target. I remember seeing it on a few games.

Like this...

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
An honest discussion about concern from secondhand recorded spoilers on a game that the vast majority of gamers haven't played with a Day 1 patch that's inbound that hasn't been implemented yet and I can't lol about the start screen outrage? I mean... by all means, continue discussion. :messenger_beaming:

Oh yeah because day one patch will change the fundamental core of the game design. So stupid.

timothet

Are you sure about the gone forever part? Seeded generation should produce the exact same landscape every time no?

I don’t see why they would randomize the seed as it would create tons of issues.

Just speculating of course.
Depends on the implementation. Visible out-of-bounds terrain is technically still part of the tile you are currently on and uses the same seed. But if you move to tile next to it, it may use another seed with non-matching edges, therefore that out-of-bounds from previous tile is gone.
Or they may be using planet-wide seed that assures tiles are somewhat matching. Who knows, we will see in couple days.

TrueGrime

Is Starfield definitely getting a day 1 patch?

Seems weird given the year delay and people saying they've seen no bugs in 15hrs of play.

Nothing weird about pushing out software for release and still working the code for a patch when that happens. There could be quite a few things that need patching, tweaking, etc that might not even be seen on the surface gameplay.

salva

I agree - with a big part of this being exploration, this really breaks the immersion if you're paying attention to where you are in the world.
Overall though, it's probably not going to matter but it just sucks knowing you're not actually on a living breathing connected landscape.

Hype is still 11/10
Tea Steam GIF by NEON

Fools idol

Banned
Theres people on the starfield reddit leak thread that bought stolen copies of the game from that warehouse guy for $700-1000.

Just why would you do that? the game is out in a few days for $80 lol... people are insane.

timothet

Going by this logic any discussion, negative or positive, about any game before its release is pointless, no? Game developers are constantly embellishing and straight up misleading players about how games actually look and play like.

Last edited:

TrueGrime

Theres people on the starfield reddit leak thread that bought stolen copies of the game from that warehouse guy for $700-1000.

Just why would you do that? the game is out in a few days for $80 lol... people are insane.

Can it even be called FOMO if you aren't missing out on shit that isn't even released yet?

Chukhopops

Depends on the implementation. Visible out-of-bounds terrain is technically still part of the tile you are currently on and uses the same seed. But if you move to tile next to it, it may use another seed with non-matching edges, therefore that out-of-bounds from previous tile is gone.
Or they may be using planet-wide seed that assures tiles are somewhat matching. Who knows, we will see in couple days.
My guess is that the tile system is because of memory limitations when displaying land, but the landscape generation is for the entire planet - otherwise you could reach the end of one tile in a desert and the next tile would be in the middle of the ocean.

If it really works like that then yeah I agree it’s quite bad, but I don’t see any benefit to do so.

Top Bottom