• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

timothet

Can it even be called FOMO if you aren't missing out on shit that isn't even released yet?
Not even $80. Gamepass if for $10.
TBH I could understand this behavior if that person has enough disposable income to just pay $700 for something they like, but there were probably some people who needed that money for something else and still decided to get the game.

TrueGrime

Going by this logic any discussion, negative or positive, about any game before its release is pointless, no? Game developers are constantly embellishing and straight up misleading players about how games actually look and play like.

I thought the direct was pretty straight forward in what we were getting. Maybe it's just me, but I figure if there was a point that wasn't made during the showcase then I wasn't expecting it to be there. The least of what I was expecting was a Bethesda game with the fidelity of a space flight sim.

Was kind of expecting this with the limitations of the creation engine so I'm not too bothered. Really wonder how Starfield will measure up to Bethesda's more handcrafted game worlds.

Last edited:

TrueGrime

Not even $80. Gamepass if for $10.
TBH I could understand this behavior if that person has enough disposable income to just pay $700 for something they like, but there were probably some people who needed that money for something else and still decided to get the game.

timothet

I thought the direct was pretty straight forward in what we were getting. Maybe it's just me, but I figure if there was a point that wasn't made during the showcase then I wasn't expecting it to be there. The least of what I was expecting was a Bethesda game with the fidelity of a space flight sim.
It was. My comment was general about game industry, not specifically about Bethesda and Starfield.

bbeach123

See how many people believe its gonna be seamless and have a laugh.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Can it even be called FOMO if you aren't missing out on shit that isn't even released yet?
Being first is a powerful (and cultivated) driver. But I suppose the FOMO could be the fear of someone else buying the limited quantity of available games and you then wishing you'd done it.

Personally - no way would I pay that much for a game. I can't even remember the last time I paid full price.

Last edited:

timothet

My guess is that the tile system is because of memory limitations when displaying land, but the landscape generation is for the entire planet - otherwise you could reach the end of one tile in a desert and the next tile would be in the middle of the ocean.

If it really works like that then yeah I agree it’s quite bad, but I don’t see any benefit to do so.
I think this has more to do with coordinates precision and not with memory limitations.
Bethesda probably still uses 32-bit precision for coordinates which limites playing area to around 20km(I'm not sure about exact value). This was still limitation in UE 4 for example, and UE5 introduced 64-bit precision with Large Word Coordinates. Those are different engines of course, but base idea is the same.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I ok with that....I dont know, seems like everyone tries to make a big deal out of every single fucking thing. What piece of hardware would be able to do what Starfield wants to do and also have seamless exploration on 1000 planets.
Is this gonna be the excuse for everything with this game?

The dude who said that is a huge fan of the game, it's ok to not jerk off on every single aspect of the game you know...

P.s. i don't even care about the tile thing.

Last edited:

TrueGrime

If the defining moment in Bethesda's first singleplayer offering in however long is the utter and soul crushing realization that you can't circumnavigate a planet when no one has straight up said you can and/or you haven't experienced the mechanics yourself then that's certainly worth a laugh.

TrueGrime

Being first is a powerful (and cultivated) driver. But I suppose the FOMO could be the fear of someone else buying the limited quantity of available games and you then wishing you'd done it.

Personally - no way would I pay that much for a game. I can't even remember the last time I paid full price.

I wonder how often FOMO turns into regret. Spending that much is just plain stupid. IMHO.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Overall though, it's probably not going to matter but it just sucks knowing you're not actually on a living breathing connected landscape.

I think there should be some expectation management here. This thing has to run on the Series S and lower spec’ed PCs. It’s not going to be able to sustain anything close to a seamless world.

It’s going to be a series of highly curated separate environments, along with procedural generation.

If folks are thinking they are going to be immersed in a realistic, flowing galaxy, something like Hyrule in ToTK, they are absolutely not going to get it.

Hell, I think all the hype over the size of the game’s environments will be the main source of any disappointment after release.

Riky

$MSFT

I may be wrong but I thought it was all explorable but not all on foot, you have to move your ship to do that. That was my understanding anyway.

With all these leaks has nobody mentioned how Series S is?

timothet

I may be wrong but I thought it was all explorable but not all on foot, you have to move your ship to do that. That was my understanding anyway.

With all these leaks has nobody mentioned how Series S is?
You can explore whole planets, but they are divided into multiple zones. You can't seamlessly walk from one zone to another and you need to use your ship as a proxy between zones.
Walking/jetpack is pretty much the only way of traversing once you are on the surface of the planet. There is also fast travel.

geary

Is this gonna be the excuse for everything with this game?

The dude who said that is a huge fan of the game, it's ok to not jerk off on every single aspect of the game you know...

P.s. i don't even care about the tile thing.
It's all about expectations (same mistake was made with CP2077). If anyone thought that they can walk seamlessly 1000 planets, I have a bridge to sell you
The game should be criticize for the shortcomings and stuff which are trivial and not in-game, but people should choose better their fights.

BTW, i might replied to the guy that mentioned that, but the observation was for all the drama around the game right now (startscreen, seemless planets etc).

MMaRsu

Banned
There’s some new info about the game that doesn’t sound too hot.

Tiles don’t stitch. If you land outside of New Atlantis, city is nowhere to be seen on the horizon etc.

You have a limited number of landing zones. Once you reach that limit and pick a new landing zone, one of the ones you already had will be erased forever.

Fuck.
Buddy can you keep this sort of stuff in spoilers? Sigh

Omg are we still bitching about fucking boundaries

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
The last game I can remember that had this type of hype leading up to its release was Red Dead Redemption 2.
It's trending on twitter every day. Forums and social media are all about Starfield, and MS hasn't advertised jack shit for it.

I haven't really been a Bethesda guy, but I am a space guy, so this game is for me, but was the hype like this when the last Elder Scrolls came out?
Oh for sure

Montauk

There’s some new info about the game that doesn’t sound too hot.

Tiles don’t stitch. If you land outside of New Atlantis, city is nowhere to be seen on the horizon etc.

You have a limited number of landing zones. Once you reach that limit and pick a new landing zone, one of the ones you already had will be erased forever.

Fuck.

Yeah, hmmm, that doesn’t sound great. Not what you’d want, ideally. We’ll see how bothersome it is in practice.

The moment they announced it was their decrepit old engine it was obvious that it would: be reminiscent of their old games in various unflattering ways and 2: have some compromises that would be disappointing to many.

If we’d been further into the gen, or we were talking about Starfield 2, then I’d have to assume they would have the sense to have gone with a new engine custom built to support the requirements of this kind of game.

That’s what they need next time; an engine built from the ground up for the considerable challenges of something on this scale.

Elysium44

Banned
I ok with that....I dont know, seems like everyone tries to make a big deal out of every single fucking thing. What piece of hardware would be able to do what Starfield wants to do and also have seamless exploration on 1000 planets.

What does 1000 planets mean in practice if it's just randomly generated tiles which don't persist or bear any relation to the next tile? What practical difference is it to having 1000 procedurally generated planets or a million? It's just a big number to wow people.

It sounds like in principle you could visit one planet hundreds of times, go to the same spots and it would be different each time. That doesn't sound like 1000 planets, that sounds like ONE planet with infinite numbers of random tiles. Where is the immersion in that.

Last edited:

Montauk

Theres people on the starfield reddit leak thread that bought stolen copies of the game from that warehouse guy for $700-1000.

Just why would you do that? the game is out in a few days for $80 lol... people are insane.
A fool and his money….

I don’t get that sort of thing and never had. Let time pass, it happens all by itself.

Montauk

Not seamless is fine. But this is beyond not seamless. It’s nonsensical. It’s just stupid. Terrain should stitch together.

It isn’t what you’d want at all but if it’s accurate then clearly it is because of a technical limitation. I’m sure Bethesda have been straining every sinew in the studios body to find solutions to make the game possible with their engine.

Of course, it was their decision to make the game with this engine.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I swear these websites ..

Their reasoning is that players might not be finished with the base game whenever the DLC comes out so it might be in a rough spot.

What the fuck ..
Gamerant is a 100% clickbait SEO garbage site.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Buddy can you keep this sort of stuff in spoilers? Sigh

Omg are we still bitching about fucking boundaries

Sorry buddy buy you can only pick one of these 2:

1. Complain that something is a spoiler
  2. Laugh at it like it's been known for a long time and it's not a big deal

And yeah, if you consider that a spoiler then I'd politely suggest for you to go offline because discussion around the game will only get more heated between now and Friday.

MMaRsu

Banned
Sorry buddy buy you can only pick one of these 2:

1. Complain that something is a spoiler
  2. Laugh at it like it's been known for a long time and it's not a big deal

And yeah, if you consider that a spoiler then I'd politely suggest for you to go offline because discussion around the game will only get more heated between now and Friday.
This shit was being discussed in the leak thread.

Everything thats not officially put out by the developer is a spoiler. I'm going to kindly request that stuff that is getting leaked, is posted in the LEAK thread. I don't want to know about the leaks, and there is no reason we cannot keep that discussion in that thread is there?

Why will the discussion get heated? As long as stuff thats leaked doesnt get posted in here, but in the leak thread, this thread shouldnt get heated at all.

The only reason we couldnt contain this type of stuff to the leak thread is unwillingness.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This shit was being discussed in the leak thread.

Everything thats not officially put out by the developer is a spoiler. I'm going to kindly request that stuff that is getting leaked, is posted in the LEAK thread. I don't want to know about the leaks, and there is no reason we cannot keep that discussion in that thread is there?

Why will the discussion get heated? As long as stuff thats leaked doesnt get posted in here, but in the leak thread, this thread shouldnt get heated at all.

The only reason we couldnt contain this type of stuff to the leak thread is unwillingness.

Fucking Todd Howard leaking his own game. How dare he to talk about the tile system on a podcast 8 months prior to the release?

Seriously, get a grip.

MMaRsu

Banned
Fucking Todd Howard leaking his own game. How dare he to talk about the tile system on a podcast 8 months prior to the release?

Seriously, get a grip.

I know he's talked about how it works, I've listened to that podcast multiple times.

I'm just asking kindly if anything that pops up from the leak thread is contained to the leak thread. Stuff you can or cannot do, if not put out there by the dev is a spoiler.

It can't be much trouble for you to post stuff about that in the leak thread right? I'm just asking friendly if it's possible to contain stuff like that in that thread 🙂

MMaRsu

Banned

This is also a great interview, especially when he talks about engine limitations and deciding what to add and what not to add in a game depending on what they want to accomplish!

Also talks about how he knows Todd has become a internet meme haha funny stuff

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I know he's talked about how it works, I've listened to that podcast multiple times.

I'm just asking kindly if anything that pops up from the leak thread is contained to the leak thread. Stuff you can or cannot do, if not put out there by the dev is a spoiler.

It can't be much trouble for you to post stuff about that in the leak thread right? I'm just asking friendly if it's possible to contain stuff like that in that thread 🙂

The only thing that was a spoiler (video), was clearly wrapped in a spoiler tag and marked as spoiler. We can't discuss how potentially (and I mean: potentially, we don't know for sure) a system known to be in the game will work? Seriously?

MMaRsu

Banned
The only thing that was a spoiler (video), was clearly wrapped in a spoiler tag and marked as spoiler. We can't discuss how potentially (and I mean: potentially, we don't know for sure) a system known to be in the game will work? Seriously?
My guy, I'm just being cautious. Not sure why the hate boner when I said twice its just a friendly request :p. No need to be aggrevated or anything, I didnt say you posted a HUGE spoiler or anything.

Just stuff about how the game works, but thats still stuff I'd like to find out on my own 👊🏻. If at all possible to avoid spoilers but still post with yall up untill release would be great ❤️

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Oh, come on man.
What other engine allows you to pick up every item in the game world, put it in your home, go off and do other shit for 80 hours and when you come back all that stuff is still in the same place?

Go on, I'll wait.

There is a reason no other developer tries to do what Bgs Games do. Outer Worlds was a nice try but failed miserably in my eyes.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
My guy, I'm just being cautious. Not sure why the hate boner when I said twice its just a friendly request :p. No need to be aggrevated or anything, I didnt say you poated a HUGE spoiler or anything.

Just stuff about how the game works, but thats still stuff I'd like to find out on my own 👊🏻. If at all possible to avoid spoilers but still post with yall up untill release would be great ❤️

I guess definition of a spoiler is different for different people. Like, for example: it was never confirmed by Bethesda if the new game plus or survival mode will be in the game. But now thanks to leaks, we know. If I'd tell you, would you consider that a spoiler?

MMaRsu

Banned
I guess definition of a spoiler is different for different people. Like, for example: it was never confirmed by Bethesda if the new game plus or survival mode will be in the game. But now thanks to leaks, we know. If I'd tell you, would you consider that a spoiler?
Oh absolutely! I wouldnt have minded not knowing that to be honest, considering they said there is a twist on it. I'm glad I don't know what the twist is!

Either way I appreciate you for trying to understand my crazy request but I hope we can make it work 🙂👊🏻

naguanatak

What other engine allows you to pick up every item in the game world, put it in your home, go off and do other shit for 80 hours and when you come back all that stuff is still in the same place?

Go on, I'll wait.

There is a reason no other developer tries to do what Bgs Games do. Outer Worlds was a nice try but failed miserably in my eyes.
So persistance in exploration in a space exploration rpg is not important but having a fork lying on a table for 80 hours is, got it 😅

Just fucking with you...I love stuff like this, that's why I'd like for the game world itself to be persistent as well

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
So persistance in exolploration in a space exploration rpg is not important but having a fork lying on a table for 80 hours is, got it 😅

Just fucking with you...I love stuff like this, that's why I'd like for the game world itself to be persistent as well
Well still not 100% sure how it all works but I have faith! They've been cooking for 8 years, I'm pretty hopeful.

Montauk

Go on, I'll wait.

You could design a new engine that could do all that, while doing other things that Gamebryo can’t.

Which is ideally what this game needed and certainly what a sequel would need; a new custom-built engine designed for game like this.

You’re not gonna sit there and pretend that when you heard that they were still gonna use Gamebryo that you said YESSS and pumped your fist, are you?

It was obvious to anyone that regardless of how many upgrades it got it would have limitations that would lead to some disappointments.

I have to say - the Starfield defence force is something else. You can’t say a single negative thing or state you aren’t interested in the game without someone jumping down your throat. I’ve been around a long time and the fanboyism around this one is toxic. It’s such a shame.

Getting ready for Starfield with a bit of space exploration and combat SEGA style. It still amazes me how good StarFlight is on the MD and how overlooked the game was and I just can't wait for Starfield.

tcs6cET.jpg

naguanatak

Well still not 100% sure how it all works but I have faith! They've been cooking for 8 years, I'm pretty hopeful.
Even if system do not function as I would like or hope, I'm 100% certain that I will love this game.
Will I be disappointed about some mechanics or design decisions? Almost certainly, but I never let that get in the way of having fun with a game. I bring that game up too often in these threads, but NMS was a boring, buggy mess at launch, but it instantly became and still is my favourite game, releaving Shadow of the Colossus from the top spot, which ran at 16-20 fps on PS2 back in the day, but I couldn't care less because I was engrossed in the atmosphere...same thing will happen in Starfield

Last edited:

naguanatak

I have to say - the Starfield defence force is something else. You can’t say a single negative thing or state you aren’t interested in the game without someone jumping down your throat. I’ve been around a long time and the fanboyism around this one is toxic. It’s such a shame.
If you're emotionally invested and attached to something and someone else comes along and critisizes it, noradrenaline and other chemicals are pumped into your system which dampen the abilities of your cerebral cortex... Using words after that is just too difficult and complex for most, so they lash out to defend themselves and that which they love, read Starfield... It's used in advertising, politics etc
Edward Bernays comes to mind :messenger_winking:

Top Bottom