• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jackbox Party Pack - Coming soon [Out now, $25]

border

Wondering the same...although I already purchased this. Was hoping to play during a New Year's party at my home, but we never got around to it. Still wondering if there's anything for my wife and I to play together.

You Don't Know Jack and Fibbage are really the best games in the whole pack, and they work fine with 2 players.

The only one you'd really miss out on is Drawful, which requires 3 players.

Ferrio

Banned
Saw Alex Valle playing this on leveluplive last night after a Ultra Street Fighter 4 tournament. Now, I'm seriously interested in picking it up.

Fun game, great with a group. Best part about it is not having to juggle controllers, just bring it to a party and tell people to break out their phones if they wanna participate.

border

The latency introduced using phones really hurts You Don't Know Jack. It makes me legitimately angry that you're forced to use phones for multiplayer even if you have controllers.

That said the game is a must-buy and I will probably double-dip purchase on both Steam and consoles.

Did Jackbox say if a WiiU version is in the works? Or possible?

Struct09

The latency introduced using phones really hurts You Don't Know Jack. It makes me legitimately angry that you're forced to use phones for multiplayer even if you have controllers.

Completely agree, it's too bad since I've really enjoyed YDKJ in the past. But luckily Fibbage and Drawful pick up the slack here.

SickBoy

You Don't Know Jack and Fibbage are really the best games in the whole pack, and they work fine with 2 players.

The only one you'd really miss out on is Drawful, which requires 3 players.

Don't forget WORD SPUD!!!!

I know you didn't

I just want to make sure that Jackbox works fine using only touch, and that I won't have to lug around a bluetooth mouse or keyboard or whatever. On your Surface, did you use the keyboard or was everything touch-only?

Thinking back, I did use the keyboard, never thought of using touch on the screen. I'll try it out when I get home.

MrMephistoX

This was $16 on the Xbox One store in the US as of midnight before I went to sleep yesterday. Impulse bought it despite not feeling super well post NFL party and my guests all leaving by that point.

TURBO1112

I know these are meant for party games, but I was wondering is it possible to play with a friend online through Live? Or is latency to bad with the phone thing?

Ferrio

Banned
I know these are meant for party games, but I was wondering is it possible to play with a friend online through Live? Or is latency to bad with the phone thing?

If they can see the screen yes (some people play with twitch streamers). Unfortunately some of the games give you a big unfair advantage if there's any lag. Some were made with the consideration there would be lag though.

Poona

Apparently not getting a PS4/PS3/X1 release outside the US? Jackbox seem to be saying only the PC version is worldwide.

Sucks if true :/

Truly does suck. I don't know why this is?

I played the original ydkj and its follow ups on PC back however many years ago here in Australia, and yes many of the questions were about US things but that can be part of the challenge. It isnt always meant to be asking things everyone knows.

So I don't understand why they can't release the newer ydkj in whatever other English speaking places apart from the U.S.

rObit

Banned
Got this to play with friends while I was visiting them. Drawful and Fibbage are fantastic and went over very well. Word Spud seemed aimless, a little too dependent on the players to make something out of it. Lie Swatter was fine, but relatively lifeless. I suppose the fun for that one would be having a bunch of people, when the most we had was 6. You Don't Know Jack was a fun trivia game, but holy shit the bits are awful. Like, I am embarrassed, I don't want to be here anymore, why won't it stop its so fucking looong awful. None of the Cookie Masterson shit is the remotest bit funny. The animations / jingles for the rounds, the weird categories and questions, all that shit is quirky and fun. It's just the bits. I also feel like the lightning round stuff felt off on the phones from latency, even over wifi.

All that said, Drawful and Fibbage made it totally worth it.

Drac84

Hearing the Giantbombcast talk about this game so much over the past few podcasts has made me want to play it with friends really badly. Bring this to the EU already! (I don't own a PC).

rObit

Banned
I find Cookie totally hilarious! Something can be groaner humour and still funny

Different strokes, I guess. I agree that you can make groaner humor work, but for me it has to be quick and punchy. The stuff in YDKJ just goes on too long, in my opinion. But it's infrequent enough that it's not that big of a deal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have, but I'd also like to own it on my Xbox one too, my pc is in my bedroom and the one in the living room, my friends and I all like to play it together in the same room

Buy it on the US store, will work fine - that's what I did

Got this to play with friends while I was visiting them. Drawful and Fibbage are fantastic and went over very well. Word Spud seemed aimless, a little too dependent on the players to make something out of it. Lie Swatter was fine, but relatively lifeless. I suppose the fun for that one would be having a bunch of people, when the most we had was 6. You Don't Know Jack was a fun trivia game, but holy shit the bits are awful. Like, I am embarrassed, I don't want to be here anymore, why won't it stop its so fucking looong awful. None of the Cookie Masterson shit is the remotest bit funny. The animations / jingles for the rounds, the weird categories and questions, all that shit is quirky and fun. It's just the bits. I also feel like the lightning round stuff felt off on the phones from latency, even over wifi.

These would seriously be fighting words around here. Listen Jackbox people, No Cookie = No Sale.

Exactly 100% my experience when I busted it out in a party of non-gamers. Its mind boggling that they just don't support 4 controllers for you don't know jack. The mobile integration sucks for that game because it doesn't show the questions/answers on your phone so its actually worse for the non-gamers because they have to look at the screen, figure out the button then look at their phone and figure out the placement of said button.

They basically need to rework the next version of You Don't Know Jack so it doesn't have super time sensitive things in it, and so that its like fibbage where you can see everything on your phone

Fantastical

Death Prophet

I agree about Cookie. He's only funny about 10% of the time. In the second or third episode when he does his ventriloquist act for what seems like three full minutes, I was cringing.

I also love the animations, and I like the weird questions and formats, but yeah... I don't really get the Cookie love.

DANCE WITH ME, DISCO THREE

Yeah, I'm a fan of Cookie and the between question dialog. In particular, one thing I've really liked since the switch to the episodic structure in YDKJ2011 are when episodes have an overarching plotline. Stuff like the Paul Rudd episode in 2015 and the episode where all the staff but Cookie are gone by the end of the episode in 2011 got genuine laughs. And the groaner stuff has its charm too.

edit: also the dumb sound effects fucking rule

dock

UK here, and just picked this up on PS4 from the U.S. Store.
Loving this to bits, although I've yet to play it with more than my gf and myself.
Excited to play fibbage and drawful with a larger group.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
UK here, and just picked this up on PS4 from the U.S. Store.
Loving this to bits, although I've yet to play it with more than my gf and myself.
Excited to play fibbage and drawful with a larger group.

It's really awesome, although I think 8 is almost too many people. 5-6 is a really good amount, IMO.

Anyone know if you can do Share Play and thus play with a friend (and their party) who also has a PS4? I figure it might work since everyone would be answering through the website on their phones, unless it's recognizing people via their WiFi address.

Cookie is the best, Hope there's a good amount of questions, hated hearing the same old ones back on the PS1 YDKJ.

This YDKJ is structured just like last gen's was, so once you play through all of the selectable episodes you'll have expended all the content. It's a good amount, but the replayability factor is basically nonexistent.

Anyone know if you can do Share Play and thus play with a friend (and their party) who also has a PS4? I figure it might work since everyone would be answering through the website on their phones, unless it's recognizing people via their WiFi address.

It'll work - it's not recognizing WiFi / IP. I play on Twitch a fair bit using Live from Playstation and it works OK. There's normally quite a delay between the PS4 and your phone etc, but it's definitely playable.

Tizoc

English is sort of my family's 2nd language, would this still be a good game to play with them on PS4?

This thread convinced me to buy this package - and the $10 sale price closed the deal!

I am looking forward to trying this out with my family and friends.

Cheers

Thought I'd bump this because I don't think it warrants a thread.

Now that the game is out in Europe (for PlayStation at least, and I guess Xbox was behind too) I was wondering if there was any interest in a Jackbox GAF Community. It seems like a no brainer with it being able to welcome people that don't even own the game.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
catching up on hello, from the magic tavern

apparently the host worked on jackbox! and part 2 is on sale for ps4... so, you know. bought.

killroy87

Second Jackbox is a true disappointment.

They doubled down on Fibbage, which makes sense. But they got rid of YDKJ completely, and added a bunch of insanely complicated games that drag on and on.

SickBoy

Also, the 2015 game (called pack 2 on PSN) is on sale for $10 at Best Buy for PS4/Xbone:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-jac...on-4/4319101.p?id=1219744119060&skuId=4319101

Actually, the disc edition is the first pack, not the second. Every time I saw news about it I got a little excited... and then disappointed.

Second Jackbox is a true disappointment.

They doubled down on Fibbage, which makes sense. But they got rid of YDKJ completely, and added a bunch of insanely complicated games that drag on and on.

Disagree on this one. I guess I can see the disappointment if you're a fan of YDKJ, but I never bought the first pack for YDKJ (still have the 360/PS3 version I have to play more of -- and I also don't trust cellphone-Internet connection as buzzer for a game that is about buzzing in first).

Here's how they compare in my eyes:

-You Don't Know Jack stands alone... but Quiplash does as well (there's no equivalent in Jackbox 1 and it's great).

-Fibbage XL and Fibbage 2 -- more or less equal, but for the larger content base in 2.

-Drawful is a better drawing game than Bidiots. Bidiots is fun, but more game than needed. Drawful was pretty much perfect. Bidiots is a neat concept, but I would trade it in for Drawful 2 in a heartbeat.

That leaves the also rans: Fly Swatter and Word Spud vs. Bomb Corp. and Earwax

Fly Swatter is passable and Word Spud is super weak. On the other hand, Bomb Corp. is OK and Earwax is pretty good, too... but would likely come off better if Quiplash didn't exist in the same package (I also think it demands a reasonably large group).

I think 1 has more to offer for small groups -- I'd rather solo YDKJ than Bomb Corp. (likewise, it's probably the most fun you can have with a group of two or three)... but otherwise 2 is pretty competitive. Not sure which package I prefer, but I paid full price for both and don't have any regrets.

Top Bottom