• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian - new screenshots and footage (IGN preview)

alot of the game's tech is under the hood, what Ueda describes is an incredibly complex A.I. System something more advanced than what most games have. While I think Nintendogs achieved a similar cuddlyness being able to interact and learn with Trico is amazing. The later is what seems to be the new gameplay hook. How do you teach a Chimera to fetch? To jump in a pool? Amongst other things. I think the major puzzles in the game will involve teaching Trico by feedback and then seeing how your Chimera evolves. While nintendogs and tamagothcis tried this The Last Guadian is a bit more daring making such learning systems a vital part of play. If it works (and that ball video seems to suggest it does) then The Last Guardian will be something really new.

I do not expect it to be that complicated

I think animating the feathers is the other big upgrade

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
There should be a gold trophy that requires you to play the game through using the PS Camera and not crying when some inevitable heartbreaking moment happens.

I don't think those sequences were AI either, just some really smart Scripting to give the illusion of Teaching.

But if teaching is dependent from player to player, it would require some sophisticated AI to react to each player's input. I can imagine the same level would have different behavioral patterns based on their "training" methods.

Jeels

Kind of bummed the IGN article does not go into detail about their impressions with the visuals since I do not want to watch the video and I'd like to hear what they thought playing it...

It seems like they got really engrossed into the game though, that's a good sign.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Kind of bummed the IGN article does not go into detail about their impressions with the visuals since I do not want to watch the video and I'd like to hear what they thought playing it...

It seems like they got really engrossed into the game though, that's a good sign.

And that's all you need to know.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I just noticed that when you climb up TRICO to escape, TRICO claws the wall like a cat sometimes claws when you stroke it. Can someone gif that please?

Remember this was moved from the PS3, so I don't know why anyone is knocking the graphics.

Nevermind the fact that is reportedly running really bad on the PS3 (an indicator that it requires better hardware), they had to bump up the resolution as well. It's incredibly disingenuous to suddenly run the "graphics" argument when it officially hasn't been released on that console yet.

This, on top of the fact they are an internalized team with in a studio - to expect them with the capability to match the graphics dedicated from the 300+ manpower of ND and Guerilla is outright ridiculous.

And then when GTA, comes around with a major streaming tech and Euphoria and oooooopppeen world, it suddenly becomes all about the tech, nevermind the game graphics don't match up to TLOU. Makes me roll my eyes out.

RexNovis

Banned
People complaining about the graphics are completely missing the point here. This is a game from the mind that brought us Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Two games that are not only wholly unique and unlike anything else but also an inspiration to generations of future game designers. Ueda's games are true treasures. He is a visionary without equal whose 2 games have impacted the industry more than most could dream of.

So, when you come into a thread about his game and say "wow that looks awful" you betray yourself as having no point of reference for this man's legacy. Graphical fidelity is the furthest thing from the minds of those of us who know what this man has achieved. His works transcend the tired trappings of this stagnating industry and manage to become something awe inspiring and beautiful.

Jeels

People complaining about the graphics are completely missing the point here. This is a game from the mind that brought us Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Two games that are not only wholly unique and unlike anything else but also an inspiration to generations of future game designers. Ueda's games are true treasures. So when you come into a thread about the game and say "wow that looks awful" you betray yourself as having no point of reference for this man's legacy in this industry. Graphical fidelity is the furthest thing from the minds of those of us who know what this man has achieved in the past. His work transcends the tired trappings of this industry and manages to become something awe inspiring and beautiful.

Eh, this is rather pretentious. Ico and SoTC were good looking games for their time.

RexNovis

Banned
Eh, this is rather pretentious. Ico and SoTC were good looking games for their time.

While you might call it pretentious its also completely true. As far as Ico and SoTC go, their looking good had far more to do with art direction and style than it did graphical complexity. TLG will likely be the same. There focus was clearly on the animations and the AI more so than anything else and it shows.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I accidentally clicked thread cause got so damn excited when I read "The Last Guardian - new screenshots and footage." Then saw couple of the pics in the OP and hnnnnng, said nope and decided to not watch the footage.

After Uncharted 4, I'm trying to go semi-media blackout for most games I'm really interested in. God damn is it tempting though...it's just right there.

watershed

Banned
I really wonder how smart or responsive the AI will be. Partner AI is often easily broken in games and can lead to super frustrating situations. I hope this Trico AI is super responsive. Puzzle gameplay + unresponsive or unintuitive AI interactions could equal major frustration.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

This also looks good for its time. I'm not exactly sure where the sentiment otherwise comes from.

What else should this game be doing graphically that it is not doing that would fit the atheistic of the other ICO properties?

Gono

Banned
ALL ABOARD THE FEELS CARAVAN.

da3.png

PS: I bought a Ps3 back in 2009 just for this game. Then bought Ps4, also, just for this game Hopefully it gets released before the Ps4k... If not... I'll buy that one, too.

I really wonder how smart or responsive the AI will be. Partner AI is often easily broken in games and can lead to super frustrating situations. I hope this Trico AI is super responsive. Puzzle gameplay + unresponsive or unintuitive AI interactions could equal major frustration.

I think it's less to do with the AI and more to do with animations and hit detection for the levels as a massive creature has to move around the environment without glitching out or worse, getting into an animation freeze that hinder the progress.

This is a very daring game design decision at all fronts because like racing games, it is fully dependent on the mechanic itself - an AI nonetheless. If it works the way it works, it would be a quantum leap forward with AI implantation in games the likes of FEAR had for shooters. I can forsee future design decisions in other games being influenced the same way ICO and SOTC was during their release.

I accidentally clicked thread cause got so damn excited when I read "The Last Guardian - new screenshots and footage." Then saw couple of the pics in the OP and hnnnnng, said nope and decided to not watch the footage.

After Uncharted 4, I'm trying to go semi-media blackout for most games I'm really interested in. God damn is it tempting though...it's just right there.

Bro media blackouts is the best thing I've ever done :p

Uncharted 4 was such a great experience not knowing any locations in the game (except Madagascar) and not even knowing the extent of the graphic fidelity or animations. Makes all those media avoidance's worth it.

Nothing like going in a game for the first time and finally seeing how the characters move and all the animations for the first time. It's the best.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think it's less to do with the AI and more to do with animations and hit detection for the levels as a massive creature has to move around the environment without glitching out or worse, getting into an animation freeze that hinder the progress.

This is a very daring game design decision at all fronts because like racing games, it is fully dependent on the mechanic itself - an AI nonetheless. If it works the way it works, it would be a quantum leap forward with AI implantation in games the likes of FEAR had for shooters. I can forsee future design decisions in other games being influenced the same way ICO and SOTC was during their release.

Let's hope that conversation takes place when the game launches and not years later.

Lingitiz

Both IGN videos were very encouraging. If they can really accomplish something incredible with Trico's AI, this is going to be an amazing game. I have my doubts, but damn it would be awesome to see them just absolutely nail this game after all these years.

Lunar15

Man, if TLG, P5, and FFXV all come out this year, it's basically like someone just lifted a year out of the PS3's life cycle and moved it to 2016.

Top Bottom