• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian - new screenshots and footage (IGN preview)

maxcriden

Well, mission not accomplished, at least for me. I may call my impressions from the game "sadness foreshadowing"...

But I have to add that I'll never own a dog or cat, because I'm weak...one sad
look and they can get everything they want from me ;P

It seems like you are the exact kind of person cats and dogs need in their life. Would you ever reconsider?

_Ryo_

The game is a story told by an old man of his adventures as a juvenile
This means the story could be being told by a man that is revealed to be on his deathbed and dies shortly before the game is over and after learning how to tame the beast you get to play as the beast a few levels as sort of sombre epilogue.

Great to see the game is coming along well but anybody else find it weird that Sony has been doing previews of the Last Guardian, GT Sport, and Gravity Rush 2 all before E3. Does this mean we can assume they all won't have a big presence in their conference then other than maybe quick trailers featuring release dates.

Yes I know GT Sport has a date already but it just seems strange Sony is giving big info on 3 of their upcoming 1st party games for this year a few weeks before E3.
They announced the Nathan Drake Collection on June 4th last year and gave Ratchet and Clank a trailer about a week before E3 too. They are just getting some of that stuff out of the way.

Dead Don't Ride and Horizon will probably get blowouts/reveals etc. in the conference. RRest will be Indie and 3rd Party.
GoW4.

Sorry, this is the second time I read "Dead Don't Ride" what would be that? Bend's game?
Yep.

So I personally have to strongly disagree with the idea Ueda's games were never technical standouts.

If there's one thing they were supposed to be, it was just that. Which is why visually this is a bit disappointing, it looks quite by the numbers.

You must be insane if you look at Toriko itself and think "Yep, there's nothing impressive going on here at all".

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The boy is narrating the entire game as an old man. I guess he could die of a stroke at the end!
He could go outside of the end of the game and pet old trico and feed him a carrot and that's the end

It looks really damn nice and beautiful in motion, the images don't really do it justice I think. Still extremely excited for this game.

Joqu

I think it looks wonderful. That's about as much TLG info I'm gonna read before the game's release though, from now on I want to go in as fresh as possible.

inki

Is it bad if I find out the Animal dies in this game I've decided I'm not going to play it?

I care more for it than the child.

Luigiv

None of the shots suggests an actual lack of GI (granted, not relying on disco-colored materials makes it a lot harder to tell, but that's besides the point) - although I'm sure it's easier to just assume it's not there because the marketing machine isn't running the buzz-world lists for this game.

As for PBS - discussions on how you actually asses if it's been used aside - I don't think it's necessary or appropriate for their visual style - their games were never grounded in photo-realism as a guideline to begin with.

Well I don't know for sure if those techniques are actually being used or not (I'm by no means an expert) but eyeballing the screenshots, it really doesn't look like it. Lighting has a very unnatural look to it, that suggests that either the effects are absent or are extremely poorly implemented.

Also this "I don't think it's necessary or appropriate for their visual style - their games were never grounded in photo-realism as a guideline to begin with" is utter hogwash. Whilst not photo-realistic, the art in this game is rather naturalistic (excluding the boy and other cell-shaded elements), PBS would still be a huge boon to achieving that artistic vision. And even then PBS isn't just for photorealism and naturalism, just look at Ratchet and Clank and The Witness.

I wasn't worried about spoilers for this game, but the shit posts about the 'PS2' graphics in the first few pages have really pissed me off, so I guess I'll avoid Trico threads.

Such cynical whiners. I can usually ignore them, but not for this game. Just fucking awful.

The game clearly shows it's PS3 origins graphically, this is hardly even up for debate. The emotional hangups and hyperbole people bring into every thread about this game are equally exhausting and juvenile.

If anything this dev should be fair game for any criticism regarding their ability to produce or technical shortcomings. SotC was largely unplayable on PS2 for a good portion of people even remotely interested in it thanks to the fact that giving the game an ethereal feel was more important to them than performance. What we got was a mostly empty, very unique looking puzzle platformer that ran at 10-20fps and gave some of us eye strain headaches and motion sickness for the first time in our lives.

A PS3 game, really? The way that creature is animated is stunning.

Wasn't the reason they couldn't get it to run on the PS3 the reason it's a PS4 game in the first place?

The game clearly shows it's PS3 origins graphically, this is hardly even up for debate. The emotional hangups and hyperbole people bring into every thread about this game are equally exhausting and juvenile.

If anything this dev should be fair game for any criticism regarding their ability to produce or technical shortcomings. SotC was largely unplayable on PS2 for a good portion of people even remotely interested in it thanks to the fact that giving the game an ethereal feel was more important to them than performance. What we got was a mostly empty, very unique looking puzzle platformer that ran at 10-20fps and gave some of us eye strain headaches and motion sickness for the first time in our lives.

Except now, those "concern" issues are about the graphics this time. The graphics ... I feel like the left over arguments from the QB vs U4 threads have started to contaminate this thread.

EDIT:
PS3 game, really? The way that creature is animated is stunning.

Wasn't the reason they couldn't get it to run on the PS3 the reason it's a PS4 game in the first place?

They couldn't get it to run on the PS3 because it wasn't powerful enough. That should be an indicator to dismiss this as a "PS3" game and actually call it a low-end AAA PS4 title instead.

It really does. That's not to say I'm not excited about it, but the textures especially are just flat and muddy.

Again, watch the gamersyde footage. It is pretty subdued, but looks good. http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_the_last_guardian_gameplay-16674_en.html

Cave Johnson: From the Gamersyde footage I wouldn't say it looks equivalent to a low budget PS4 game. If they can improve the AA it will be up there with the better looking games. The lighting is good, the animation is excellent and the texture detail is good. Geometry is good as well.

LordCanti

They couldn't get it to run on the PS3 because it wasn't powerful enough. That should be an indicator to dismiss this as a "PS3" game and actually call it a low-end AAA PS4 title instead.

I wouldn't even call it low end. They managed to take some fairly bad screenshots but in motion the game looks like a AAA PS4 release to me.

ironcreed

Banned
A pretty game is a pretty game and does not require bleeding edge textures and such in order to qualify.

BRUyzcj.gif

image_the_last_guardian-28646-1520_0004.jpg

image_the_last_guardian-28646-1520_0003.jpg

In what world is this ugly? Just what they accomplished with Trico alone is pretty damn amazing.

Except now, those "concern" issues are about the graphics this time. The graphics ... I feel like the left over arguments from the QB vs U4 threads have started to contaminate this thread.

I'm not sure what you mean unfortunately as I missed the discussions you're referring to.

To be clear, I largely don't care about graphics. I do expect them to be able to work as visual communication effectively without detracting from the experience, however. Saying graphics flat out don't matter is like saying reading a 1000 page book with a barely legible font isn't a problem. I don't really have a problem with this game's graphics, I just think it clearly looks like it was started on a PS3. My only issue here is the neverending trend of people in threads about projects they want so badly they're LITERALLY crying and taking it personally if anyone cares to express opinions that threaten to make the thread more than 1 dimensional.

Re: Performance, I personally couldn't play SotC until the PS3 remaster. The PS2 version was horrendous for me. I'd have to say I'm quite pleased they chose to wait to release this on PS4, though it sounds like they flat out didn't have a choice.

butman

A lot of "look like crap but i will give it a shot" comments. This show how you really care about graphics no?

Leave dat salt away! It's a fucking Fumito Ueda game!

I'm not sure what you mean unfortunately as I missed the discussions you're referring to.

To be clear, I largely don't care about graphics. I do expect them to be able to work as visual communication effectively without detracting from the experience, however. Saying graphics flat out don't matter is like saying reading a 1000 page book with a barely legible font isn't a problem. I don't really have a problem with this game's graphics, I just think it clearly looks like it was started on a PS3. My only issue here is the neverending trend of people in threads about projects they want so badly they're LITERALLY crying and taking it personally if anyone cares to express opinions that threaten to make the thread more than 1 dimensional.

Re: Performance, I personally couldn't play SotC until the PS3 remaster. The PS2 version was horrendous for me. I'd have to say I'm quite pleased they chose to wait to release this on PS4, though it sounds like they flat out didn't have a choice.

It's almost impossible to expect rations discussion about the Last Guardian. It's been built up so much in people's heads that hyperbole and caps lock is the default setting. Furthermore; this is a game about the feels as the kids say, a sequel of sorts to a game many people emotionally connected with a decade ago when they were younger so...it's like you couldn't possibly make any kind of critical discussion about this game. I might be the same way about Haf Life 3 one day too tbh

raven777

A pretty game is a pretty game and does not require bleeding edge textures and such in order to qualify.

image_the_last_guardian-28646-1520_0004.jpg

image_the_last_guardian-28646-1520_0003.jpg

In what world is this ugly? Just what they accomplished with Trico alone is pretty damn amazing.

I think the official screenshots look great but the gameplay videos had some awful bloom effect last year that I didn't really like... It made image blurry and felt last gen sort of tech..

Tuck

Looks like a PS3 game. Hope it ends up being a good game though

Probably because it is one...

Sure, I wish they had spent more time updating the graphics to PS4 standards (Though tb the game looks pretty darn great as is). But honestly, it has a nice art style and I'm just happy we're getting the game at all.

I might be the same way about Haf Life 3 one day too tbh

Gonna catch a report on the news shortly after release about a black man with a goatee and glasses in a jumpsuit attacking cars on the Interstate with a crowbar

If nothing else we can all at last be certain that TLG will be out before HL3

Markoman

It seems like you are the exact kind of person cats and dogs need in their life. Would you ever reconsider?

As much as I appreciate yor effort, no :D
They will turn into spoiled fatties in no time.

We've had a cat in my teens. I never threw him off the kitchen table when he jumped up there. Whenever I was eating alone at the table he placed himself in front of me waiting for
a moment where I wasn't paying attention. My reaction: instead of throwing him down, I've built a barrier made of bottles, decoratives, flowers and so on to protect my food from stealth pawn attacks. I'm a hopeless cause in this regard ;P

Top Bottom