• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian - new screenshots and footage (IGN preview)

Furyous

MwzN8ad.gif

^^^ This too with all the feels of having a familiar attached.

This demo has me ready to go adopt a puppy. It looks great and sounds about right. What's interesting is the origins of everyone.
Is Trico a pup or an adult? Is he a weapon or a spirit?

did you watch the video? I don't understand what all this visual stuff is about... Am I watching something different here? It looks amazing, are people just going off that crapoy screenshot?

Like are you guys fans of this series because they have never been technically brilliant but very artsy with a focus on animation.

Every game has to look like Uncharted and Horizon now?
You know the post you quoted was a joke, right? Look at his next post.

Exactly. Also due to how highly stylised the games are they've aged better than alot of games that tried to push the graphical envelope at the time. I recently did another playthrough of Ico and the game still looks beautiful despite not being a graphical powerhouse.
I would buy the remaster a second time on PS4. Ico especially still looks incredible today. Simple art styles hold up very well.

Ico, wind waker, these will look beautiful forever.

Kaydan

Banned
I sincerely doubt this game is going to do very good sales wise. The media released so far is not really selling the game either.

People shitting on graphics don't care about this game in the first place. Since when were Ico or SotC technical powerhouses? SotC framerate was an abomination, so no clue what these people were expecting.

You know the post you quoted was a joke, right? Look at his next post.
I don't get what's funny about it...there are a lot of posts talking about the screenshot like its representative of the final game. How is this not trolling at this point? Like when did it become hilarious to make hyperbolic posts that's really just a "joke"

Like who's is actually laughing from it? Seems stupid.

Mifune

Mehmber
I don't get what's funny about it...there are a lot of posts talking about the screenshot like its representative of the final game. How is this not trolling at this point? Like when did it become hilarious to make hyperbolic posts that's really just a "joke"

It's incredibly stupid and annoying, and if this is what we have to look forward to in every TLG thread until release, oh boy it's gonna be a long year.

platina

People shitting on graphics don't care about this game in the first place. Since when were Ico or SotC technical powerhouses? SotC framerate was an abomination, so no clue what these people were expecting.
Sotc? Yeah about that... It had techniques most PS3 games didn't even have.

Boke1879

admittedly those are some pretty crappy screen grabs. But anyone can watch the video if they want. The game looks great in motion imo.

This looks more and more like it's going to be a classic on the same level as Ico and Sotc.

They need to nail the controls, pacing, level design, atmosphere and story for that to happen - and I believe they will. Fumito Ueda knows how long he has made us wait and he will put his all in to this game and deliver!

big fake

I'm hungry for a release date soon. I was wondering with all this news today is the release date leaked a day or two ago for July 31st less likely of a fake now?

He was almost assuredly taking the piss out of people who were being serious. The picture he posted afterwards confirmed it.

I'm going to be all over the animal training element of this game. Hope we can actually do some persistent operant conditioning (though that might be a bit much to ask of the AI).

On the topic of the game, I'm super excited to see more of it. I really like what I've seen so far. Glad to hear it's still on track for 2016.

Looks like a PS3 game. Hope it ends up being a good game though

Nah. Xbox One quality (aka working mans graphics) is more apt. :)

Seriously though, Fumito Ueda games were never heralded for their technical aspects. It's the visual style, art design, music, animations and atmosphere that makes these games special.

Raysod

Banned
This game in motion is gorgeous!

If they manage to get the AI of the creature right (The article in edge magazine reports some instance where a programming error made the creature to not follow the player) this could be a masterpiece.

Anyway I am going into media blackout on the game from now on, fingers crossed for a summer 2016 release.

Shin-Ra

Who's alt account is Pastor Steven Anderson? Genuine new members don't get arsey that quick.

DooMAGE isn't even trying to be subtle as well.

Uedas games were never especially technically amazing. It was always the art style that carried them. This stuff looks fantastic to me
SotC is a technically amazing PS2 game.. apart from the framerate.

Not a fan of the foggy, faded out lighting look. Reminds me of ps2 era graphics (I'm not equating the graphics to a ps2 game). Hope the gameplay is fun.
Bleached lighting in direct sunlight is very much Team ICO's style.

big fake

Game looks great in motion, I don't see the frame drops like others. AA solution is something needs a bit work but in its current state can easily be an amazing fucking game.

HYPE TRAIN IS HERE, I WILL BE IN THE OT TILL DUSK TILL DAWN!!!!!

Honestly, people watching / reading the IGN preview and only coming away from it with 'bad graphics' were probably not that interested in this game in the first place.
The IGN and Edge previews have me more confident than ever about the potential in this game. It already sounds so intriguing and both IGN and Edge sure sound excited about what they have played so far.

Damn... I got goosebumps watching them talking about the game! I can't believe we're getting FF15, Persona 5 and this in the same year. What a time to be alive :)

Man those screenshots do it a disservice, the game looks great in motion. The animations are top.

To the people complaining about the graphics, THIS IS THE FUCKING LAST GUARDIAN! YOU'RE LOOKING AT DREAMS RIGHT NOW!!

Also that surprise is verrry interesting.

MrHoot

Game could look like a ps2 game I wouldn't care. While SOTC was technically impressive, it wasn't the graphical power behind it that made it what it is today. And that's exactly why i'm looking forward to another Ueda game for so, so long

I recommend the Youtube upload of the IGN video - it's easier to appreciate the fantastic attention to detail of the animation work that has gone into this game. Still look's a little choppy, but that will hopefully be addressed by release time.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
'Lol graphix suck 2/10 would not buy.'

Seriously, some of the posts in this thread make me sad and for something that is patently untrue in regard to the visuals. This looks amazing in every aspect

Concerns:

1. Most of what we're being shown is the same area from the E3 reveal. Suggesting they aren't comfortable showing other areas yet. Trico probably bugs out.
2. Edge's article begins highlighting A.I. Issues suggesting the game is still finicky.
3. It sounds like Trico's A.I. Is so intensive it's probably one of the reasons the game graphically looks like a ps3 game as Trico uses GPU threads.
4. Unsure on if the game has enough new ideas to stand out in a sea of clever indies.

On the other hand Trico is awesome. Looks awesome, behaves awesome, feels awesome, and with the exception of maybe Nintendogs nothing is as cute or believable on consoles. Edge confirms that the usual profoundity of Ueda's past games is still there. The only real issue is that if this game brought back from the cancelled by the internet's appeals can in fact overcome the reasons of cancellation. It slso sucks that Ueda dodges those questions in the Edge article. Can not wait on a Trico breakdown. What algorithims are powering him? Is he a refinrocement learning algorithim?

Spaghetti

Are people really complaining about the graphics? I think the visual style makes up for anything lacking in terms of actual pixel pushing.

Concerns:

1. Most of what we're being shown is the same area from the E3 reveal. Suggesting they aren't comfortable showing other areas yet. Trico probably bugs out.
2. Edge's article begins highlighting A.I. Issues suggesting the game is still finicky.
3. It sounds like Trico's A.I. Is so intensive it's probably one of the reasons the game graphically looks like a ps3 game as Trico uses GPU threads.
4. Unsure on if the game has enough new ideas to stand out in a sea of clever indies.

On the other hand Trico is awesome. Looks awesome, behaves awesome, feels awesome, and with the exception of maybe Nintendogs nothing is as cute or believable on consoles. Edge confirms that the usual profoundity of Ueda's past games is still there. The only real issue is that if this game brought back from the cancelled by the internet's appeals can in fact overcome the reasons of cancellation. It slso sucks that Ueda dodges those questions in the Edge article. Can not wait on a Trico breakdown. What algorithims are powering him? Is he a refinrocement learning algorithim?

These type of games are spoiled easy so showing new areas is a no-no.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Concerns:

That's a lot of leaping...in terms of areas, why say they are not comfortable showing other areas when the game is coming out this year? Maybe they want to keep the experience under wraps?

And in terms of the visuals, again, cause i have to keep saying it, its the art style, scale and ambiance that has always sold Team ICOs games, , and that has not changed so i don't exactly see why you expect them to deliver a level of fidelity that does not suit the art style.

The child is supposed to be simple in design just like ICO and Wander

Shin-Ra

Concerns:

That IS the E3 demo, IGN's just edited it in for padding and they'll probably trickle out more video over the coming days.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm really impressed with the animations for when the boy is balancing on Toriko. His footing constantly changes and he holds his arms out like he's on a balancing beam. Little weight shifts react realistically.

I think people are always going to say dumb stuff like "is a ps3 game" (despite the fact that they literally could not get it to run on a ps3) but the animation is really nice.

Top Bottom