• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers |OT| Left Behind With Damon Lindelof - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched episode two while I ate lunch today and if anything the negative reaction in here is underselling just how bad it was. Ever single character is completely uninteresting. There is absolutely nothing engaging happening.

Are they kidding with the the opening credits? They're so hilariously over the top.

I thought episode 2 was solid, with my complaint being we're spending a lot of time with Meg without really finding out much about her.

Effnine

Didn't like Episode 2 as much as the first, but I feel like they're just establishing and setting things up, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and stick with the show ... the whole episode just seemed to drag ...

dorkimoe

I wish lindelof would do something of his own again. Apparently the book is not the most exciting and isnt many answers..hate to see him get blame for this one :(

Squalor

I wish lindelof would do something of his own again. Apparently the book is not the most exciting and isnt many answers..hate to see him get blame for this one :(
The book never answers why.

It's a novel of character development, as it should be, but Perotta's writing wasn't as sharp for The Leftovers as it was in his other works.

The minor source material has turned into a minor television effort. Even with the changes, the characters still don't compel, and the actors certainly aren't doing much to help that fact.

Hyun Sai

To all the haters :

leftovers32gjwt.gif

-----------------------

It's funny, I could totally see Amy Brenneman character in Heat ending like that after what happened with Neil.

heat-blu-ray-screenshot-0186535-I-824.jpg

Burnt bagels. That was a very unintentionally funny scene.

Same with the chopping down the tree scene with Liv. Such completely random moments...

~Kinggi~

Banned
Huh, my thoughts is that i liked the 2nd episode. I find the show wonderfully intriguing and interesting, but at the same time this wreaks of prime string-along tease material perfect for a tv show. I kinda get a Fringe meets Lost vibe from the show. Ill keep watching as long as i feel like im being rewarded. Very fine balancing act they are playing.

Seems I'm in the minority with this, I'm completely on board after two stellar episodes. Can't say any of the primary criticisms I've seen raised have bothered me. And weirdly, two of the scenes that seen to have attracted the most flak in the second episode (tree chopping and bagels) were actually highlights for me.

If it were on any other channel, I'd be worried about it getting renewed as I'm not sure it'll find a very big audience but considering it's extremely rare for an HBO drama not to get at least a second season combined with the fact that three of their currently airing dramas are ending this year, it's pretty much guaranteed.

Gotta say that I loved the opening credits. Didn't like this episode as much as the pilot, but I did enjoy it. It's awkward and rather bizarre, and while I like it I could easily understand why some wouldn't. Justin Thoreau's character is probably my favorite.
This is how i feel. Enjoyed it, but not as much as the pilot. Kevin is the most interesting character, then his daughter and her friend.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Just watched the first two episodes, and have to say its pretty interesting. Not sure why people are complaining though? It's only the second episode, and is based on a book, you have to give time to build the story up. One of the things I have to give props for is the fact that the iPhone in the fist episode is running iOS 6 and in this episode before Wayne rips it in half, it's iOS7, it shows the passage of time quite nicely. The bagel scene was awesome as was the tree chopping scene. Did people really think that the Chief was imagining the dude? Can't wait for episode 3.

Just watched the first two episodes, and have to say its pretty interesting. Not sure why people are complaining though? It's only the second episode, and is based on a book, you have to give time to build the story up. One of the things I have to give props for is the fact that the iPhone in the fist episode is running iOS 6 and in this episode before Wayne rips it in half, it's iOS7, it shows the passage of time quite nicely. The bagel scene was awesome as was the tree chopping scene. Did people really think that the Chief was imagining the dude? Can't wait for episode 3.
No, but I thought they did a nice job giving you enough to consider the possibility.

Kaizer

Banned
Hey!

I'm here. Just not posting a ton and had a little ban a while ago.

For anyone on the fence, I can't recommend spoiling yourself with a summary of the book highly enough. It was all I needed to put this in the skip pile.

Hah, I did the same thing. Possibly the first time that reading spoilers
in fact spoiled NOTHING! Literally nothing of any real interest happens in the novel from what I could ascertain.

I do believe that I will be sticking around now.

Kevin has been presented as black out drunk. A highly functional one, all things considered. So far just the right amount of situations have been presented in the first two episodes that you (I) could be to believe that, maybe, just maybe, he has an alter ego that is out there killing dogs for whatever reason to cope with his dysfunctional family life. You have: the other guy not having a name. There's no license plate on the DODGE Ram truck; it also happens to appear parked in his driveway. Kevin hasn't presented a proper description of the mystery man to the police department. He had a near wet dream with his daughter friend that lead to a encounter in the woods. The bagels go missing inexplicably.. Then bang, the guy is there on the front step and it's still a trippy, is this real or not moment, until the mystery man's presence is acknowledged by the girls and the beers are taken out of his hand. He talks to his dad, played by Scott Glenn, and no he doesn't have his shit together in the way he thinks he does. And the bagels did actually get stuck in the toaster.

So while we know he's not destined to go it alone, as his father and the imaginary voice in his head say, Kevin still isn't the most reliable protagonist moving forward. I haven't seen Justin Theroux "act" in more than a handful of movies, so color me surprised that he has the presence and skill to pull off this tightrope act so far in this series.

Klocker

I'm enjoying it ... yes slow burn and a little different presentation but curious still to see where it goes. loving that it doesn't hold my hand and let's me imagine what might be happening, why not? I can handle it... let me just enjoy the mystery and challenge of letting these characters develop over time

Sober

That's kinda what the whole part of this episode was about, Kevin was wondering if he was going insane like his father did.

kyoya

I'm intrigued by what I've seen so far of this show since it's all about people losing their heads in a traumatic situation and how they deal with it all. These cults and their leaders are turning it up a notch, taking advantage of the vulnerable, traumatized and lost souls trying to find answers.

I'm in and will keep watching.

liquidtmd

Banned
The 'oh its slow burn' or 'they're just setting up the long game' argument is just weak.

The problem with a lot of serialized television writers is that they get so caught up in creating season long arcs or threads is that they simply forget or ignore the story of THAT episode has to be fulfilling in its own right. Get too focused on 'oh thats something that will get picked up down the road or next season' and you will get cancelled, leaving another dead paperweight in the history of unresolved television experiences.

Klocker

The 'oh its slow burn' or 'they're just setting up the long game' argument is just weak.

The problem with a lot of serialized television writers is that they get so caught up in creating season long arcs or threads is that they simply forget or ignore the story of THAT episode has to be fulfilling in its own right. Get too focused on 'oh thats something that will get picked up down the road or next season' and you will get cancelled, leaving another dead paperweight in the history of unresolved television experiences.

Perhaps. But life is messy and filled with unresolved issues... it's only in fiction it seems where we are compelled to have resolution for very action and tidy endings every 40 minutes.

I don't mind the ambiguity or lack of resolution in an episode.

For those that need that, there is pretty much every other TV show out there giving people that instant gratification.

Kadayi

Banned
Intrigued. Can't say I'm entirely sold on it and I really dislike the whole cult thing (could they be any more Heavens Gate tbh) but I'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt for now. The big question seems to be why the dysfunction in the chiefs Family given seemingly none of them (the wife, or the kids) were departed.

Also Alan Johnson from Peep show as Wayne is just bizarre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkO7GgJrVxs

royalan

Agreed.

That, and this is where Lindelof's shitty track record come into play. He's never been bad at starting story threads, but he's consistently terrible at tying them up. So, even in a situation where I would be compelled to say, "hmmm, let's see where this goes." I see Lindelof's name and fear the answer is going to be a whole lot of nowhere. And even if Lindelof's weren't attached to this project, none of the characters are compelling enough for me to want to follow them.

Heck, I rewatched this episode with my roommate, and he commented near the end "Nora Durst and Liv Tyler's character might as well be the same person, they're playing them so similarly." Just stock asset "depressed."

Perhaps. But life is messy and filled with unresolved issues... it's only in fiction it seems where we are compelled to have resolution for very action and tidy endings every 40 minutes.

For those that need that, there is pretty much every other TV show out there giving people that instant gratification.
Don't play this up like this show is doing this well or that other shows that give "instant gratification" are more people's thing. This show is stupid and insulting.

I can't believe I read "the bagel scene was awesome" in this thread.

liquidtmd

Banned

It's not instant gratification I'm talking about. I love slow burn. I used the word fulfilling - it needs to be satisfying in its own right.

It's a high benchmark show, but take Breaking Bad. I hear continually from people that it's a 'Slow burn' show from the outset. However I certainly didn't sit around during the opening couple episodes thinking 'man they're setting up a good long game here, I'll just have to put up with this development guff for a bit'. The characters and actions even when Walt et al weren't doing very much in comparison to later episodes, was interesting. From the initial pants flying through the desert onwards.

You shouldn't have to say to the audience 'just wait till things all kick off once things get going!' Conversely you get shows that have been going for years that get so wrapped up in the own mythology and arcs (i.e. X-Files), they fail to remember that the audience is watching, today. They get invested in the characters and probably will stick around after a couple of bad episodes, but they are watching to enjoy themselves. It's not a question of instant gratification, it's a feeling shortchanged of a good time today with an "IOU a resolution sometime, probably at the season finale"

Klocker

Don't play this up like this show is doing this well or that other shows that give "instant gratification" are more people's thing. This show is stupid and insulting.

I can't believe I read "the bagel scene was awesome" in this thread.

My point was it does well for some people who like that sort of ambiguous slow drip ... for those that need some sort of plot advance with clearly defined edges and resolution of subtleties, there plenty of other shows out there offering that.

people have differing opinions... there is no single truth to whether or not this show is good. I never implied this was as smooth as "true detective" nor is it as scrambled as Halt & Catch fire" but the main complaint I have read is boring and no resolution to things. For those, I simply pointed out that not ALL fiction has to be concise and wrapped up and presented as a 40 minute chunk... the resolution (if any) can be slow or non existent and the show just exists as it is for us to ponder our own inferences as to what that circumstance may mean for those people or to us if we were in their shoes.

It's not instant gratification I'm talking about. I love slow burn. I used the word fulfilling - it needs to be satisfying in its own right.

It's a high benchmark show, but take Breaking Bad. I hear continually from people that it's a 'Slow burn' show from the outset. However I certainly didn't sit around during the opening couple episodes thinking 'man they're setting up a good long game here, I'll just have to put up with this development guff for a bit'. The characters and actions even when Walt et al weren't doing very much in comparison to later episodes, was interesting. From the initial pants flying through the desert onwards.

You shouldn't have to say to the audience 'just wait till things all kick off once things get going!' Conversely you get shows that have been going for years that get so wrapped up in the own mythology and arcs (i.e. X-Files), they fail to remember that the audience is watching, today. They get invested in the characters and probably will stick around after a couple of bad episodes, but they are watching to enjoy themselves. It's not a question of instant gratification, it's not feeling shortchanged of a good time today with an "IOU a resolution sometime, probably at the season finale"

ok cool... fair enough

Saya

Watched the first two episodes today. I don't know, really not feeling it. I like the premise, but the execution and characters are not very relatable for me. There is no one I want to root for, except for the dog shooting bald guy. And the Guilty Remnant cult pisses me off, and not because they do not speak, but because they waste a shitload of paper writing stuff down. Learn sign language or something.

I do like Justin Theroux as an actor, but I think he deserves something better than this.

I'll give it a few more episodes to see if it improves.

Second episode maintained most of audience from episode 1, so I think it has pretty good chances for renewal as long as it doesn't drop drastically from here on out. Most HBO shows get atleast 2 seasons now to try to grow an audience through dvd sales and word of mouth anyway.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Second episode maintained most of audience from episode 1, so I think it has pretty good chances for renewal as long as it doesn't drop drastically from here on out. Most HBO shows get at least 2 seasons now to try to grow an audience through dvd sales and word of mouth anyway.

It's pretty stable, yeah. Also, we can't forget that HBO is losing half of their drama slate after this year, so it's really unlikely that they would cancel The Leftovers anyway.

Blader

I don't understand what that old woman in the Guilty Remnant wanted. First she warns Kevin's wife that Liv Tyler is going to run off, as if that's bad. Then a minute later she just tells her to cut her loose, so apparently her leaving doesn't matter. Then at the end of the episode she's clearly annoyed that Liv Tyler left. So what the fuck? What did she actually want out of that?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So they plan on stretching this out instead of being a mini series? Welp guess I'm done with this show.

If the show connects and people want more of it, there are more stories to tell in this world, but if it doesn’t, and these 10 episodes are the only 10 episodes of The Leftovers that will ever exist, I hope it will be more like The Prisoner than other series that were canceled after one season.

It was never going to be a miniseries.

Frog-fu

Banned
Really can't agree with most of the criticism flung at this show. Yes, the big question (what caused the disappearance of the 2%?) isn't going to be answered, but at least they were clear about that beforehand. The show's really more about all these characters finding their own way to deal with this phenomenon and that's an interesting enough premise for me.

I also feel as though there will be a bigger overarching plot in the show once we've gotten to know all the characters - the show could be very much like LOST in that sense. I know that might not inspire a lot of confidence since LOST tends to invoke an ambivalent response due to its vagueness, but the possibility is there. Wayne and the supposed threat he poses to the government and Tom possibly connecting to father, Garvey, and his granddad Garvey Snr, who seemingly possess a strange power like Wayne, could all be connected to a much larger story that is yet to come.

It might take a while, but I'm looking forward to see where this is going.

We don't know if they will explain the disappearance or not. If this goes past 1 season they will be writing out their own story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom