• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers |OT| Left Behind With Damon Lindelof - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
But seriously, how the fuck did the bagel get so fucking lodged deep within that toaster oven?

Why were the feds shooting at anything that moved? They were acting like it was the Osama bin Laden raid, rather than some bush league wannabes. In these three years that have gone by, has America somehow turned into a place that wouldn't blink about feds storming a compound and killing everyone?

What the hell is this Wayne and his harem shit?

Meh. This episode didn't give me anything. The first one had some atmosphere I enjoyed, but this one was mostly just boring, pedestrian nonsense.

So, this is from the John from Cincinnati school of boring, pretentious bullshit.

:-\

This show wishes it was John from Cincinnati.

TripOpt55

Episode 2 was very boring. I'm sticking with this... because I usually just keep watching stuff against my better judgment, but I sure am bored. I hope it picks up.

But seriously, how the fuck did the bagel get so fucking lodged deep within that toaster oven?

Why were the feds shooting at anything that moved? They were acting like it was the Osama bin Laden raid, rather than some bush league wannabes. In these three years that have gone by, has America somehow turned into a place that wouldn't blink about feds storming a compound and killing everyone?

What the hell is this Wayne and his harem shit?

Meh. This episode didn't give me anything. The first one had some atmosphere I enjoyed, but this one was mostly just boring, pedestrian nonsense. Wayne is clearly and odd dude with a fetish for young Asian girls

This show wishes it was John from Cincinnati.

The two people in the beginning were discussing Wayne's cult. They do consider him a "terrorist" to national security and in typical Government intervention storming his compound and killing everything in sight in an effort to get him is what they were going to do. He's selling hugs, hoarding young Asian girls, and doing deals with politicians. He's on their radar and as I said, with their infinite wisdom after this rapture like event this was the idea they thought would be best. Similar raids of this kind have happened before. It's not farfetched.

hamchan

I don't understand what that old woman in the Guilty Remnant wanted. First she warns Kevin's wife that Liv Tyler is going to run off, as if that's bad. Then a minute later she just tells her to cut her loose, so apparently her leaving doesn't matter. Then at the end of the episode she's clearly annoyed that Liv Tyler left. So what the fuck? What did she actually want out of that?

The Guilty Remnant are quite insufferable. I don't know of I was supposed to be horrified or surprised at a mob beating them up in the first ep because all I could think was that they deserved it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The two people in the beginning were discussing Wayne's cult. They do consider him a "terrorist" to national security and in typical Government intervention storming his compound and killing everything in sight in an effort to get him is what they were going to do. He's selling hugs, hoarding young Asian girls, and doing deals with politicians. He's on their radar and as I said, with their infinite wisdom after this rapture like event this was the idea they thought would be best. Similar raids of this kind have happened before. It's not farfetched.

They never referred to him as a terrorist. The government guy was mostly bemused by the group, and when a national security angle was presented to him, he seemed happy to use it as an excuse to knock around a bunch of quacks. They were described to him as a messianic fool and a bunch of dumb college students looking to get laid, with some weaponry lying around. The FBI had only been pursuing him over statutory rape charges. He almost flippantly greenlit the operation, because shutting down these amateurs seemed like no big deal in any form.

But my point is really, are we supposed to believe that the country has somehow changed so much over 3 years that a massively bloody shootout during a raid on a private compound doesn't register with the nation? Because if so, that hasn't been deomnstrated one bit. Maybe it's just poor storytelling, but I would expect something like that to be felt during the rest of the episode. The other characters reacting to news of something like this. Raids don't turn so violent and not become national conversations. We've certainly seen nothing in the show to establish that this would be an unremarkable event that the government and public both find ordinary and acceptable.

If the world has largely just moved on, then stick with that and treat extreme events appropriately. If the world has radically changed, show me that. The Leftovers is kinda sitting in the middle trying to have it every which way.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 3 "Two Boats and a Helicopter"

In the face of dwindling church attendance and threats on his life, Reverend Matt Jamison continues to preach his gospel: that many who disappeared in the Departure were sinners and not saints. Matt’s campaign is detoured when he learns he may lose the church to foreclosure, forcing him to launch a desperate, last-minute plan to come up with the cash to keep it.

Deku Tree

What was so dramatic about Liv Tyler going back to chop the tree again? I was clueless about why that was such a blissful activity...

royalan

When has man ever been able to separate the innocent from the guilty.

Seems like a weird thing for a pastor to say.

...aaaaaaaand random pigeons.

EDIT: sorry for the double post.

royalan

Wow, this priest is a dick.

"Brother, I love you..."

"Your husband was cheating on you. Long-term. With a waitress. I think he loved her...oh wait, love you too. And please think about lending me that $135,000."

His motivations just don't make sense. He's on some mission to prove that the Event wasn't the rapture and not everyone who was taken was good...but nobody seems to be deluded about that, so instead he's just coming off as a huge asshole.

royalan

It started out shit.

Then got interesting when he won the money and killed the dude.

Then got shit again with the random-ass dream sequence.

But it ended on a high note.

Overall, not a bad episode. Not "OMG I NOW SEE THE PROMISE OF THIS SHOW" good...but it was a good hour of TV. You win, Lindelof...this time.

Gray Matter

This show has been a roller-coaster for me so far.

First episode great. Second episode meh. Third episode really good. Am in for the rest wether I like it or not.

Also, how the fuck did those people get 135k? They don't have real "jobs".

Mully

This show has been a roller-coaster for me so far.

First episode great. Second episode meh. Third episode really good. Am in for the rest wether I like it or not.

Also, how the fuck did those people get 135k? They don't have real "jobs".

They probably gave their money away just like they gave away all of their possessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom