• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers |OT| Left Behind With Damon Lindelof - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
Patty at 12:49 "I think something bad is about to happen..."

no_way-061813.gif

"...like the world is gonna end."

no_way-061813.gif

CrankyJay

Banned
At first I thought the same thing, but the reason why this episode is so effective is because we already know what will happen and who these characters are.

It's a cheap Lindelof parlor trick. Care about a set of individuals who you have no fucking clue what is happening to them by introducing a set of questions. Answer some questions but introduce even more questions. Claim it's okay because "it's all about the characters".

ezekial45

Banned
It's a cheap Lindelof parlor trick. Care about a set of individuals who you have no fucking clue what is happening to them by introducing a set of questions. Answer some questions but introduce even more questions. Claim it's okay because "it's all about the characters".

I haven't actually watched much of Lindelof's work. I only saw a couple episodes of Lost, and Prometheus. I've been pretty indifferent for the most part of this season, some good, a lot bad, but even I can say that tonight's episode was easily the best of the season.

CrankyJay

Banned
I haven't actually watched much of Lindelof's work. I only saw a couple episodes of Lost, and Prometheus. I've been pretty indifferent for the most part of this season, some good, a lot bad, but even I can say that tonight's episode was easily the best of the season.

I doth my cap to you, sir.

Another great episode.

Apart from the girl he was shagging, it's as if they collectively got their wish (at that moment in time): his wife choosing an abortion, the career women wishing she didn't have a family etc. If it is something like this, this might explain the overwhelming guilt some of them have exhibited.

It was a solid ep (though not as good as the Matt and Nora eps), but the way this show withholds background information for the sake of being withholding is pretty irritating.

Could his jogging pants show the outline of his package any more clearly? The ladies asking him if he was ready while wearing white and smoking was too much.

Dany

Banned
When was the last time you saw someone under 20 wear jean overalls?

Jills outfits were the real monster in this episode.

I liked the episode a lot. And even though they'll never tell us exactly about the cause of the disappearances, I think it points heavily towards the idea of someone wishing the people were gone leading it to coming true.

Now if they could explain the supernatural/omgI'mGoingCrazy stuff, we might be all set.

KingKong

No wonder Garvey is so depressed, that was a sweet house

I thought the episode was fantastic except for the cute little hints that the characters know something is going to happen (Patti and the car). Just have the event and have the characters react to the event

It's a small touch but the show always nails moments like the final shot, most shows (even on HBO) wouldn't assume their audience is intelligent enough to get what's going on and would cut back instead of staying on Laurie.

Glad they held this back for the penultimate episode.

ezekial45

Banned
Hardly explains why she'd join that cult.

I think it does. Most people in GR have lost someone, and they turn to the cult to "remember" and serve as reminder for anyone who doesn't. Losing a kid, which was in the womb, must've been incredibly devastating for her. GR offered her something that her family life could not.

I think it's good motivation, and it especially lines up with what Patty was talking about last week.

Erigu

Most people in GR have lost someone, and they turn to the cult to "remember" and serve as reminder for anyone who doesn't.
As has been pointed out many times already, clearly, nobody's forgotten. And of course, random losses happen all the damn time in the real world.

GR offered her something that her family life could not.
An opportunity to act like those scientology trolls on a daily basis?
(but instead of always talking over you, they don't talk at all (man, where do the writers get all those ideas?!)... which is a great deal less effective, as we've recently seen when the main character's wife was helplessly snapping her fingers at Liv Tyler...)

it especially lines up with what Patty was talking about last week.
I don't remember her making any kind of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom