• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers |OT| Left Behind With Damon Lindelof - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saty

I think it's been established that the people in the GR aren't in their right minds
For the only member they really dug into, Laurie, no they didn't establish that. On the contrary, this flashback episode only highlighted the gulf between Laurie in the flashback and current-day Laurie.
Losing the fetus doesn't begin to explain why a person who chose a career of helping people joins a group all about harassing people, and how that person signs-up for murder. The flashback did nothing to reconcile this.

At the beginning of the season they showed Maggie being 'converted' into the GR. I don't remember they had a convincing reasoning why she left her fiance and join the group.

I meant it's been established by their actions that they're not in their right minds. People of sound mind don't act like that.

The flashback seemed like it was meant to reveal how Laurie got started down that path. When the show actually starts, she's only been with the GR for six months; that gives her 2.5 years to get all the way down the rabbit hole.

As for the murder thing, I'm not convinced that everyone in the GR was in on that, Laurie in particular. Patty easily seems psycho enough to do something like that, and it's not a stretch to believe that there are other sheep that would, but it really seems like something that only the more extreme members would be in on, and Laurie has demonstrated that she's not all-in (hanging out in her back yard, and trying to get the lighter back from the sewer grate).

Also, we can't even be 100% positive that the GR actually WAS responsible for Gladys's murder. When Patty said that, she was doing everything in her power to goad Kevin into killing her. She was deliberately trying to seem as despicable and vindictive as possible, probably because she wants to be a martyr. Given that there are plenty of people in town with motive to capture and stone to death a GR member, maybe Patty was just using that to her advantage.

Finally, I've heard it said that psychologists are sometimes the most mentally screwed-up people around.

Saty

Then you agree that currently the show is asking us to just accept the way Laurie is w\o it trying to make a case for how she ended up where she is. Frankly, i can't imagine how Laurie would have gotten to that point but if the writers do have that in mind and they are holding that information off, then i think it's a poor form. Continuously raising an eyebrow over Laurie's storyline and a disconnect between her character and the viewer is a completely legitimate criticism as it originates from the writing team's creative choices.

Regarding the murder, in that episode when Laurie is at the motel and looking at the bathroom mirror, there's a quick and short cut to the stoning which leaves little room for an interpretation other than Laurie remembering it \ being haunted by the memory of participating in it.

TheOddOne

Season finale today:
Season 1: episode 10 "The Prodigal Son Returns"

Mapleton descends into chaos after a Memorial Day mission by the Guilty Remnant. Meanwhile, Kevin gets an unexpected assist out of a jam in another town; Holy Wayne grants his final wish; Tom adjusts to a new life; and Nora mulls a difficult decision.

Hobohodo

So guys what's the consensus been on this show? Starting in the UK soon and I'm wondering whether to give it a go or not. Don't wanna look up to much about it in case of spoilers.

So guys what's the consensus been on this show? Starting in the UK soon and I'm wondering whether to give it a go or not. Don't wanna look up to much about it in case of spoilers.

It's very slow, some of it doesn't make a lick of sense and you'll be constantly left scratching your head over some of the stuff characters do, but it's still somewhat engaging and when it's good, it's really good with some well told personal stories.

I'd give it a shot.

There isn't really a consensus on the show. About half the thread is people putting it down and the other half are people who range from "Interested in what's going on" to "Huge fans who can't wait for the next episode." You'll have to watch and see where you fall on that spectrum.

There isn't really a consensus on the show. About half the thread is people putting it down and the other half are people who range from "Interested in what's going on" to "Huge fans who can't wait for the next episode." You'll have to watch and see where you fall on that spectrum.

I think this played into why it ended up getting renewed. I feel like HBO likes how polarizing it is, and say what you will about it, people have opinions about it. I think that's worth a second season to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom