• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE MUSIC DRAFT - DRAFTING THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karma Kramer said:
Hmm damn... that was a number 20 pick for me. Really fantastic album.

Its my personal favorite Aphex album. I remember very distinctly when it first came out, hitting a bong and listening to ventolin. I thought maybe someone laced the pot.

DataStream said:
Its my personal favorite Aphex album. I remember very distinctly when it first came out, hitting a bong and listening to ventolin. I thought maybe someone laced the pot.

I only wish I had been old enough to smoke a bong and listen to this album when it was released. I didn't get into Aphex till 2006... :(

Been obsessed since though.

Cyan

Banned
Some good teams shaping up here. I still like Kara's, although I would've taken Sgt Pepper (and maybe Revolver) over the White Album.

Can't quite decide if I like mine or not yet. But there's plenty of time to get it set. :)

BioHazard

I'M PROTECTED, DETECTIVE, ELECTRIC EYE

Screaming-for-vengeance.jpg

Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Cosmic Bus said:
You've really never heard of it? Dude. I can't find anywhere online that has it streaming in full or I'd link to it...

Holy crap, that sounds awesome actually. Man the cover art is about as bad as Leatherface's Dog Disco though.

AlternativeUlster

Tons of great stuff. The very very obvious pick still hasn't been picked. Will it survive past this round?

Since I picked a Sonic Youth record, here are some other mighty fine Sonic Youth records for your choosing:
Sister
Goo
Dirty
Evol
Washing Machine

Also, I found some YouTube videos of Lift to Experience. They remind me of Failure mixed Hum a little bit. Maybe 16 Horsepower too. Pretty good stuff.

Kevtones

AlternativeUlster said:
That record is still huge though. I didn't even really like until recently too actually.

I LOVE me some Nevermind. I shunned it for a long time (thanks middle school radio) until my senior year of HS when I realized how fucking awesome it is. Track after track after track. I rarely experience the 'holy shit I love this song too, and this song, and this song' but Nevermind still does it to me each time I go back.

AlternativeUlster

Ford Prefect said:
Bah, I hate being so predictable, but I guess I want some kind of shot at winning this:

David Bowie - Low

Damn you dude! That was my front runner for the 5th but I guess I shouldn't be so greedy.

AlternativeUlster

I Push Fat Kids said:
I LOVE me some Nevermind. I shunned it for a long time (thanks middle school radio) until my senior year of HS when I realized how fucking awesome it is. Track after track after track. I rarely experience the 'holy shit I love this song too, and this song, and this song' but Nevermind still does it to me each time I go back.

When I was a kid, I lived in Seattle and even went to Kurt's memorial at the Seattle Center but I was always more into Stone Temple Pilots. :lol Yeah, Pandora plays so many songs from Nevermind for whatever reason and every single so is great. Well, I don't like Come As You Are that much but other than that, I love every song on that record.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Little bit late tonight... I just got back from seeing Wolves in the Throne Room — so fucking awesome. I have several picks I'd like to go with in the next couple of rounds, but gonna go for this one tonight. A classic.

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Kevtones

AlternativeUlster said:
When I was a kid, I lived in Seattle and even went to Kurt's memorial at the Seattle Center but I was always more into Stone Temple Pilots. :lol Yeah, Pandora plays so many songs from Nevermind for whatever reason and every single so is great. Well, I don't like Come As You Are that much but other than that, I love every song on that record.

Yeah, I'm with you on Come As You Are. My original jump back in point came when I found out I shared the same birthday at Kurt (Feb. 20th) and that we were both left-handed. It sort of helped that I had just started singing in my friend's shitty band and had a girlfriend give me a guitar... I was super inspired for about three weeks :lol

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
vatstep said:
Little bit late tonight... I just got back from seeing Wolves in the Throne Room — so fucking awesome. I have several picks I'd like to go with in the next couple of rounds, but gonna go for this one tonight. A classic.

Slayer - Reign in Blood
FUUUUUUUUCK, that was either my next one or the one after that.

AlternativeUlster

vatstep said:

Slayer - Reign in Blood

I am seeing Wolves play next week actually in Philly. I hope it is an awesome show too. I actually had Slayer as my pick in the last draft I played. Sweet candy.

AlternativeUlster

I Push Fat Kids said:
Yeah, I'm with you on Come As You Are. My original jump back in point came when I found out I shared the same birthday at Kurt (Feb. 20th) and that we were both left-handed. It sort of helped that I had just started singing in my friend's shitty band and had a girlfriend give me a guitar... I was super inspired for about three weeks :lol

What happened to the band? Did you guys do Nirvana covers? The one time I was in a band before I started to make noise music I sang blues songs but man I was terrible.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Quick fix in the OP.

Flynn
Round One: Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Round Two: Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
Round Three: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Dark Side was my pick.

AlternativeUlster

Chamber said:
Quick fix in the OP.

Flynn
Round One: Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Round Two: Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
Round Three: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Dark Side was my pick.

Whoops, sorry Chamber.

Kevtones

AlternativeUlster said:
What happened to the band? Did you guys do Nirvana covers? The one time I was in a band before I started to make noise music I sang blues songs but man I was terrible.

List of the bands I've been in:

Cumulus - Shitty nu-metal in 8th grade. We were so fucking terrible except for our cover of the Deftones 'My Own Summer' that somehow clicked.

You've Got Males - Short-lived band I mentioned that tried REALLY hard to be 'new and different' but we sounded like bad atmosphere music. Most of the times melodies weren't discernible and I'm not even sure why I joined as a 'vocalist'. The one good memory is that I learned a bit about voice manipulation and delay pedals (wonder why I love Deerhunter)...

Super Intelligent Ape Ninjas - Fun shit. We were a jam band that played a couple gigs without actual songs. We'd just start it up and find a groove; sometimes good, sometimes bad. I smoked a lot of pot during this period.

Red Sauce Monopoly - I'm technically still in the two-piece but my best friend and I have diverted into other things at the moment. Think of it as joke music built for open mics that don't matter. We have a good time.

If there are recordings they're not to be listened to BY ANYONE :lol

Eric WK

Whoops, sorry about the edit. Next time AU STEALS MY DAMN ALBUM I'll make a new post.

I'm surprised by how much thought I'm putting into this. Very fun. Each and every round will be interesting.

Vox-Pop said:
I can't decide on my next pick. The only good news is that I doubt anyone will pick my upcoming picks.
I've got two more I think have a chance to get swiped out from under me and then I'm off to Squirrel Killer land. I'll be shocked if my last three show up before I pick them, and just very surprised if #6 gets picked.

Not that I've got anything like it on my draft board, but how would we handle classical music? Composer - Piece or Performer - Piece?

Flynn

AlternativeUlster said:
Child fucking rapist! Do you read my mind? That was going to be my round #5 pick. Haha.

haha I wonder if we're looking at the same place for a crib sheet for records from particular decades.

AlternativeUlster

Squirrel Killer said:
I've got two more I think have a chance to get swiped out from under me and then I'm off to Squirrel Killer land. I'll be shocked if my last three show up before I pick them, and just very surprised if #6 gets picked.

Not that I've got anything like it on my draft board, but how would we handle classical music? Composer - Piece or Performer - Piece?

Basically yeah, something like that. I would list it as Performer (Composer) - Piece like for example, Kronos Quartet (Clint Mansell) - Requiem for a Dream.

AlternativeUlster

Flynn said:
haha I wonder if we're looking at the same place for a crib sheet for records from particular decades.

Man, I am just writing down records of my life. Unless you are in my house Flynn. Are you my roommate Mark?

AlternativeUlster

I Push Fat Kids said:
List of the bands I've been in:

Cumulus - Shitty nu-metal in 8th grade. We were so fucking terrible except for our cover of the Deftones 'My Own Summer' that somehow clicked.

You've Got Males - Short-lived band I mentioned that tried REALLY hard to be 'new and different' but we sounded like bad atmosphere music. Most of the times melodies weren't discernible and I'm not even sure why I joined as a 'vocalist'. The one good memory is that I learned a bit about voice manipulation and delay pedals (wonder why I love Deerhunter)...

Super Intelligent Ape Ninjas - Fun shit. We were a jam band that played a couple gigs without actual songs. We'd just start it up and find a groove; sometimes good, sometimes bad. I smoked a lot of pot during this period.

Red Sauce Monopoly - I'm technically still in the two-piece but my best friend and I have diverted into other things at the moment. Think of it as joke music built for open mics that don't matter. We have a good time.

If there are recordings they're not to be listened to BY ANYONE :lol

Haha, maybe you should put them in your 10 and people will be like, "What's that?!?" So far the only album in this draft I haven't listened to before is Cosmic Bus' 3rd round pick.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Wow, lol, these are the only ones I've fully heard.

Dream Theater - Images and Words
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Metallica - The Black Album
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Muse - Black Holes and Reveations
Slayer - Reign in Blood

Cyan

Banned
Man, there's so much stuff here I've never heard. I doubt I've even listened to a quarter of what's been listed.

I just listened to part of that Neutral Milk Hotel album, though--I'd heard of them before, but the name always put me off for some reason. May have to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom