• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The No Holds Barred Castle Crashers Official Thread of Broken Netcode and Crash Bugs

Wurm

Banned
1200 points ready and willing. What are the chances that after this summer XBLA will enter a long dormant phase?

Wurm

Banned
I'm hoping you can unlock at least a whole bunch of the other characters in one playthrough because I want a decent selection for when I play through it again over the weekend with my girlfriend.

Wish Treasure hadn't wasted time porting Ikaruga for the umpteenth time and got Guardian Heroes up on Live. That would be incredible.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wurm said:
I'm hoping you can unlock at least a whole bunch of the other characters in one playthrough because I want a decent selection for when I play through it again over the weekend with my girlfriend.

Wish Treasure hadn't wasted time porting Ikaruga for the umpteenth time and got Guardian Heroes up on Live. That would be incredible.

I hope that Castle Crashers totally cleans house in sales (and it damn well should) because it might convince others to look at getting similar games onto XBLA. While a straight port of GH would be great, I'd love to see Treasure make an XBLA sequel to it, so its mechanics could be refined and updated, and it could be fine-tuned to XBL multiplayer.

Wizpig

We still have to make a classic question: which character will you first use/try when you buy the game?

As for me, Red Knight and/or Alien Hominid all the way :D

Wow it's been ages since I played a real good 2d side scrolling beat-em-up. The Dynamite Cop and Zombie Hunter games were good but they were nothing on the Capcom classics and the master of the genre Streets of Rage (1, 2 & 3).

The best thing about Castle Crashers is not only are we finally getting an awesome side scrolling beat-em-up, but it actually has gameplay elements i've always wanted in my beat-em-ups and that's the ability to level up kinda like a lite-rpg. The numerous unlockable characters and weapons only add to the awesomeness.

I'm also a huge fan of the art style they are going for but I really didn't enjoy Alien Hominid much, it was just too quick and twitchy and felt like I was playing some java game Yes I know it's a java/flash game but the console versions shouldn't feel this cheap)...it's hard to explain but in Metal Slug when stuff happens like when a tank fires etc there is always so much animation it's easy to notice various things going on but in a game like Alien Hominid when a tank/boss fires sometimes it might be just 3 red balls coming at ya without much notice so it's easy to miss. Or maybe it's the bright colours they use? In any case I just found the game to be very trial and error whereas with Metal Slug, once i'd perfected my skills it was easy to get through the first couple of stages in a new game without dying once. Anyways like I said hard to exaplain but I hope Castle Crashers isn't the same twitchy type game Alien Hominid was.

2DMention

Banned
If it drops @ 5am NY time, I'll be up @ 5am MN time to get in a good hour of it before work. It's gonna be a good time!

Let's hope it'll be even 1/2 the game Capcoms D&D: ToD & SoM are.

Man I always forget about D&D Tower of Doom and Shadow of Mysteria, those games were so awesome. The only qualms I had with those were special abilities and magic spells were such a chore/pain to use in the heat of battle cuz of that stupid roulette menu. Hopefully Castle Crashers has a couple of special item slots for each character but instead there is a dedicated buttons for each ability so it saves you cycling through, like i'd prefer to have something in my inventory and if I go and pickup something else it replaces it instead of putting it into a menu where you have to cycle through.

Wizpig said:
We still have to make a classic question: which character will you first use/try when you buy the game?

Green Knight because of the fact that he's my avatar now
and poison is badass

Wizpig said:

Alien hominid for me, absolutely love that game and can't wait to run around in my yellow birthday suit some more :D

Teknoman

ugh the boot said:
Wow it's been ages since I played a real good 2d side scrolling beat-em-up. The Dynamite Cop and Zombie Hunter games were good but they were nothing on the Capcom classics and the master of the genre Streets of Rage (1, 2 & 3).

The best thing about Castle Crashers is not only are we finally getting an awesome side scrolling beat-em-up, but it actually has gameplay elements i've always wanted in my beat-em-ups and that's the ability to level up kinda like a lite-rpg. The numerous unlockable characters and weapons only add to the awesomeness.

I'm also a huge fan of the art style they are going for but I really didn't enjoy Alien Hominid much, it was just too quick and twitchy and felt like I was playing some java game Yes I know it's a java/flash game but the console versions shouldn't feel this cheap)...it's hard to explain but in Metal Slug when stuff happens like when a tank fires etc there is always so much animation it's easy to notice various things going on but in a game like Alien Hominid when a tank/boss fires sometimes it might be just 3 red balls coming at ya without much notice so it's easy to miss. Or maybe it's the bright colours they use? In any case I just found the game to be very trial and error whereas with Metal Slug, once i'd perfected my skills it was easy to get through the first couple of stages in a new game without dying once. Anyways like I said hard to exaplain but I hope Castle Crashers isn't the same twitchy type game Alien Hominid was.

It isnt. The first boss (big barbarian) has quite a few signal animation frames before attacking. Everything is developed just for the 360 (AH was a Gamecube/PS2 port). Oh and have you played Guardian heroes before? It follows a similar gameplay style, and is what the game draws inspiration from.

EDIT: Im probably going to level up most of the characters since I like their designs (except the bear and theif) but I guess i'll start as either the Blue or Red Knight...depends on who I start playing co-op with.

Hopefully some of GAF will be up around 7amCST.

Aaron

ugh the boot said:
Man I always forget about D&D Tower of Doom and Shadow of Mysteria, those games were so awesome. The only qualms I had with those were special abilities and magic spells were such a chore/pain to use in the heat of battle cuz of that stupid roulette menu. Hopefully Castle Crashers has a couple of special item slots for each character but instead there is a dedicated buttons for each ability so it saves you cycling through, like i'd prefer to have something in my inventory and if I go and pickup something else it replaces it instead of putting it into a menu where you have to cycle through.
To use magic, you hold down the trigger button and magic attacks replace your normal attacks, so instead of firing a bow you shoot fire or instead of swinging a sword you do a short range magic attack. It works very well.

Teknoman

babygiveaway.jpg

xbox360fanboy.com

Free BABIEZ (not really, Castle Crasher merchandise contest). Apparently comment on the site and you can win stuff.

And if you missed it:
http://www.destructoid.com/exclusiv...st-15-minutes-of-castle-crashers-100159.phtml

2 new videos that follow the events right after the last 2 D.toid videos.

EDIT: Hmm looks like there are actually simple combos as well.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I cannot fucking wait!!!!! Day one buy here. Add me mthanded. Im ready. This game is what ive been looking for :D

Teknoman

Damn that giga hair troll chase scene is something straight outta TMNT II-IV or Battletoads. Neon Night Riders was an awesome stage in TMNT IV.

Gonna have to continue to build on my Castle Crashers beat em up playlist though. The default soundtrack doesnt seem to be all that. But the gameplay looks AAA+.

Disposible assasin? They talking about...SCUD? I remember that graphic novel.

sdlg.jpg

This game is going to rock!

How are they handling the unlocking of the floaty animals, weapons and characters? Where can I read the info on that?

For each of the chars, you have to beat the game or something right?

Raide

Damn that Destructoid footage makes the game look so much fun! Great music, loads of enemies, chomping dino mounts, CPR to revive dead players, weapons and cute pets....and pooping owls! :D

GOTY right here people!!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
ugh the boot said:

Based on everything I've seen and the impressions so far, I think the difference here is that: Alien Hominid = Promising Amateur College Project and Castle Crashers = Our First Real Game. No offense intended to Alien Hominid; you can just tell that CC is that much more refined and experienced from looking at how the levels flow, sprite interaction, play mechanic deployment, and so forth. Where as AH was like a bedroom group's loving but still slightly inferior tribute to Contra, CC looks like a Bionic Commando Rearmed style ass-whupping in retro land.

Raide

I think you can tell that AH was a Flash game and CC actually has the hallmarks of a game made for a console.

I am super excited for this game. :D :D

I wonder what the devs will do next?

poweld

BenjaminBirdie said:
Alright damn it. I still love Too Human but GOD DAMN IT I AM SWITCHING BACK.

501iiw.jpg
501iiw.jpg
501iiw.jpg
501iiw.jpg

You mentioned that this is an obscure reference... am I too thick to get it? Do you just love 70's fashion?

Either way, dig that groovy avatar.

poweld said:
You mentioned that this is an obscure reference... am I too thick to get it? Do you just love 70's fashion?

Either way, dig that groovy avatar.

In 1994, the band The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion released an album entitled "Orange". If you dig around and give a listen to the song "Bellbottoms" off that album, you'll know exactly which 40 seconds my avatar is referring to.

;D

BenjaminBirdie said:
In 1994, the band The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion released an album entitled "Orange". If you dig around and give a listen to the song "Bellbottoms" off that album, you'll know exactly which 40 seconds my avatar is referring to.

;D

That is pretty obscure.

saelz8

Nif said:
zune.jpg

Too bad it couldn't come last week. Would've had so much more time to play it. :( Can't wait for Friday.
Is buying Zune points a way to get points without having your CC information on your Xbox, or tied to you account?

poweld

BenjaminBirdie said:
I managed to top myself yet again. I keep raising the bar for myself and myself is like "Nyeehhhhh I could go higher" and I'm like "Really?" and myself is like "Watch."

Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), as defined by the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM),
is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a condition in which a single person displays multiple distinct identities or personalities,
each with its own pattern of perceiving and interacting with the environment.

:lol

Nif

saelz8 said:
Is buying Zune points a way to get points without having your CC information on your Xbox, or tied to you account?

It's mostly a way to buy an even 1200 instead of odd amounts on XBL, but what you said might be a good reason, too.

poweld said:
Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), as defined by the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM),
is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a condition in which a single person displays multiple distinct identities or personalities,
each with its own pattern of perceiving and interacting with the environment.

:(

;D

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Teknoman said:
babygiveaway.jpg

xbox360fanboy.com

Free BABIEZ (not really, Castle Crasher merchandise contest). Apparently comment on the site and you can win stuff.

And if you missed it:
http://www.destructoid.com/exclusiv...st-15-minutes-of-castle-crashers-100159.phtml

2 new videos that follow the events right after the last 2 D.toid videos.

EDIT: Hmm looks like there are actually simple combos as well.

Ooooooooh thanks for the vids!

Gonna have them both load while I shower - might as well watch them seeing as I'll be 3 days late with the game anyways...

blanky

winnarps said:
So, the usual release time for this is gonna be between 3-4AM EST?

well if the counter can be trusted, 7,5 hours away from the release. Hope so, late night castle crashers ;D

pr0cs

I don't think I've been looking forward to a XBLA game as much as this one.
I wonder what Behemoth is going to be doing after Castle Crashers is out, besides sitting on a beach trying to get some sun to drown out all the monitor radiation from working on this title for what seems like forever.

Top Bottom