• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously. Even if it's just 3D Donkey Kong or something. 2D Overload in this gen...

I don't see 3D platformers really becoming popular again until they can figure out how to make sure that it doesn't turn into a collect-a-thon. Nintendo is really the only developer that's figured out how to avoid that. I still believe that the collect-a-thon aspect is what killed 3D platformers after the 32bit generation. Nearly all of them had you running around having to collect a ridiculous amount of shit in order to progress. And there was no greater example of that than Donkey Kong 64.

I don't see 3D platformers really becoming popular again until they can figure out how to make sure that it doesn't turn into a collect-a-thon. Nintendo is really the only developer that's figured out how to avoid that. I still believe that the collect-a-thon aspect is what killed 3D platformers after the 32bit generation. Nearly all of them had you running around having to collect a ridiculous amount of shit in order to progress. And there was no greater example of that than Donkey Kong 64.

Retro would do it right though. Believe.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It would be both hilarious and depressing if nothing from Retro showed up.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Might as well share too...

I also had a dream about wii u. I somehow ended up in the offices or factory at Nintendo. I found myself in this one corner of the building witnessing 6-8 Japanese men and women assembling the wii u by hand. It was at a couple of small wooden tables. They were wearing those white all body nylon covers. I got the impression that they were making prototypes for dev kits and not actual production models. At one point it seemed they were also planning how to piece the together the wii u for the final production process. I also saw some detailed blueprints of the hardware and tried to sneak some photos with my iPhone. I didn't get a chance though as I felt I'd be spotted and was too nervous to be that brash. One impression I got from the workers is that they were somewhat depressed. I wondered, was it because the GPU was underpowered?

Also, a weird but unimportant detail, their were factory shelves all around with general home furnishings, lamps and curtains, reminding me of a Bed Bath & Beyond.
Hahaha, amazing.

I know I would. Well, maybe not Dr. Mario lol
What if Retro are working on Slim Shady Presents Acid Ghost and EAD Tokyo are on Dr. Mario Galaxy?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's very possible, Nintendo may hold it back for next E3 as their big surprise.. Who knows..

The recent Retro timeline:
August 2007: Retro releases Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.
*three years of key staff departures and development hell*
November 2010: Donkey Kong Country Returns released.
December 2011: Mario Kart 7 released. Retro designed and developed a multitude of tracks.
June 2012: LOL WUT

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit! Dr. Mario Galaxy? That's like...Tetrisphere on Acid. Ghost acid.
I'm trying to imagine Dr. Mario with gravity changes, but my mind can't handle it.
I think we'll see Retro's game. I just don't know if it'll release at launch.
Yeah, Nintendo generally try to make a splash at a console's unveiling and show off a ton of games, even if they're not releasing for a long time. See Wii 2006, or DS 2010, where a game yet to be released was shown.
December 2011: Mario Kart 7 released. Retro designed and developed a multitude of tracks.
The crunch this year is probably to scrape a trailer together.

They were working on another project before DKCR and they didn't use the entire (or likely even much) of the team for MK7.
That's like suggesting they shouldn't have been able to release DKCR so soon because of Prime Trilogy.
The game should be in a showable state, if not playable.

It's very possible, Nintendo may hold it back for next E3 as their big surprise.. Who knows..

I dunno man. They always go full out at their console launch reveals. Iwata also sees the 3DS start problems in lack of 1st party software. And looking at how much 3DS games they are pumping out, there probably aren't too many developers and resources left to be silent on Retros project, even if it isn't coming out soon.

Caramello

So they've had a year and a half since Donkey Kong Country Returns with some of their team working on Mario Kart 7 in that time and are developing for a brand new system. I think we'll see something but it's not a stretch of the imagination to see how we may not see anything.

Remember that Retro have historically taken 3 years to develop their games and I'm pretty certain their next one won't launch until the holiday season in 2013, I'd like to be wrong of course but it's just blind hope IMO to expect a new title from them this year. Similar to people expecting Super Smash Bros to launch next year.

However, Nintendo tend to blow a lot of their load at a systems first proper E3. Wii had a lot of titles at E3 that we wouldn't see for over a year and so did the 3DS so while I don't think it's a good idea to hope for their game until holiday 2013, I do think we'll probably see their new game anyway.

BurntPork

Banned
You're really trying to prepare yourself for this conference being as bad as last year, aren't you? :p

Sadist

EatChildren going the only possible route: expecations set to zero. Which is a good stance.

I'm hoping I'll be surprised :(

Sadist

No he said it'd be hilarious and depressing if nothing from Retro showed up. That's certainly not setting expectations to zero.
I hyperboled it a bit there, it's the internet. It's what we do ;)

No, it's an impossible route. You might think that you can lower your expectations, but at your heart... you're already hyped. Everyone here is, it's unstoppable.
Oh but I'm hyped allright. The thing is... I don't know, I'm prepared for dissapointing shit as well. As much as I like Nintendo, they always have something which makes you go all "come on guys, what the hell were you thinking!?" and have some internet hissy fit. Not me though, I'll just laugh and shake my head for about thirty seconds.

On the other hand, if their show is awesome like the 2010 one, I'll react like a kid in a candystore.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I would be very surprised if Retro's current work was not present, in some shape of form, at this E3.

I would love if wii u games were on flash carts of some kind.
You can start stockpiling SDHCs then : )

HylianTom

Banned
I would love if wii u games were on flash carts of some kind.
Thr fewer moving parts that can eventually break-down, the better. I am a freak about hardware longevity, and relying on a CD drive always bothers me a little bit, almost like there's an expiration date on my console. Meanwhile, my cart-based Atari and NES are both working quite well..

So if Nintendo ever wants to go to flash carts, I'd appreciate such a move.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I hyperboled it a bit there, it's the internet. It's what we do ;)

Oh but I'm hyped allright. The thing is... I don't know, I'm prepared for dissapointing shit as well. As much as I like Nintendo, they always have something which makes you go all "come on guys, what the hell were you thinking!?" and have some internet hissy fit. Not me though, I'll just laugh and shake my head for about thirty seconds.

On the other hand, if their show is awesome like the 2010 one, I'll react like a kid in a candystore.
Always? Their GameCube coming out party at E3-01 was pretty much perfect. I don't remember anyone complaining.

----

Yup, HylianTom. Nintendo can match their best E3 showings as long as they have all their bases covered.

Btw, anyone remember a sizzle reel from Spaceworld 2001 where Nintendo had a bunch of GameCube cilps set to Beethoven's Ode to Joy? I tried looking for it on YouTube but have had no luck. I believe I originally saw it on IGNcube, but their archives have gone to crap.

HylianTom

Banned
Always? Their GameCube coming out party at E3-01 was pretty much perfect. I don't remember anyone complaining.
That's what I was thinking. The GameCube E3 went really well, as did the Wii E3.

Hell, the Nintendo 2006 Conference Thread reads like everyone posting in there had been heavily coated with that positively-charged slime from Ghostbusters 2 .. people in there were in love and lust with anything Nintendo showed. In retrospect, it was kinda freaky to see such positivity.

BD1

Banned
Did you have TechTv on cable? Could have watched it there.

Speaking of, do we know if Spike or G4 or any network will be covering the Sony and Nintendo conferences? I know Spike is covering Microsoft's show, but I haven't heard anything about the others.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Speaking of, do we know if Spike or G4 or any network will be covering the Sony and Nintendo conferences? I know Spike is covering Microsoft's show, but I haven't heard anything about the others.

G4 is broadcasting the Sony Conference. No word yet on Nintendo but I imagine G4 will be covering it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom