• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 has been delayed to May 19, 2015.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
In GAF developer is doomed / can't win if game is unoptimised and unpolished [ACU] or if game is delayed more than once [Witcher 3].

---

I'm only one who has hard time taking this "insider", Anaxymenes, that seriously?

Posts about how W3 has been in crunch for 12+ months and is in deep shit. How CDPR is a lot shadier company than anyone knows and how GAF would borderline hate CDPR if GAF knew details.

Then never actually tells anything as far I can see.

Well he does mention how "NDA and such" as implication why he doesn't tell anything, but he already started to put black marks on game and company with his claims so does he really care about "NDA and such"? I would argue that telling e.g. crunch timetables / durations is something you wouldn't be posting on random forum if you actually cared about NDA.

I know he got verified, but I think its only reason people here even gives second thought to his "insider claims" as otherwise he would have been brushed away as random troll.

Maybe he is legit or maybe he isn't. I just have hard time believing in someone who "teases" about knowing insider stuff about game / dev, but never actually says anything.

---

The mods verified him and I would be extremely surprised if they didn't ask him for some sort of proof that he either worked at CD Projekt or was involved in testing the game.

realwords

Take your time, CDP. This is probably the only game I'll preorder next year, and this makes me all the more confident in doing so.

Denton

One more positive to the delay:

I will actually have time to delve properly into PC GTA V now, without having to abandon it shortly after buying it.

Tovarisc

They THEMSELVES promised no more delays stating they aren't AMATEURS.

They are doing this on their own. You don't claim you are absolutely certain of release, then one month before going gold you discover you're not. This simply confirms they are amateurs by their own words.

They aren't first development studio to talk such shit in front of press, overestimating and overpromising. Sure it's disappointing they did that and overestimated their own capabilities like that, but as they aren't only ones done that I really don't keep it against them.

If game ends up being only fraction of talked about scale and depth [I'm looking at you Destiny] then I will be very disappointed in CDPR.

The mods verified him and I would be extremely surprised if they didn't ask him for some sort of proof that he either worked at CD Projekt or was involved in testing the game.

Like I said, I know he got verified. Doesn't mean I take his word as gospel about state of game and how shady CDPR really is. To me his posts come across as hit and run trolling even if he is CDPR employee / 3rd party tester. Then I would believe this "insider" more if he actually told anything.

He didn't.

But I'm weird like this. I have hard time believing in people who just tease and hint about stuff like this, but actually don't say anything.

Braag

I've been a fan since the first game so I'm really excited for this (supposedly) last entry.
But I can totally wait a couple months more as long as the final product is great.

Seanspeed

Banned
Still quite suspicious that he basically gave no proper details whatsoever. He came in, said 'things are not all well', made a couple defensive posts after people pressed him for more information and then was never heard from again.

And while being something like a tester isn't something to be dismissed, it also doesn't make one an authority on anything. And it certainly doesn't stop somebody from exaggerating or even making things up.

I've taken what he's said into consideration, but I'm not treating it as gospel by any means.

They aren't first development studio to talk such shit in front of press, overestimating and overpromising. Sure it's disappointing they did that and overestimated their own capabilities like that, but as they aren't only ones done that I really don't keep it against them.

If game ends up being only fraction of talked about scale and depth [I'm looking at you Destiny] then I will be very disappointed in CDPR.

The problem is that one year ago they delayed the game of less than two months (to February).

Then one month from gold status they delay again by FOUR months.

This is utterly illogical management and a big hint that the game has been managed very poorly all along. In the summer of 2013 they were saying in public the game was "done" and all that was left was working on the finishing touches.

The game was planned for Q1 2014. Then delayed to Q4 2014. Then delayed to Feb 2015, swearing it was set in stone. Then delayed by four more months to may.

This is plain incompetence and also lack of honesty toward players.

Hopefully it IS what was promised and that dude's posts WERE just trolling but you have to admit, things are aligning in his favour a bit more.

If the delay means they deliver what they want then I'm all for it but I am a bit skeptical when they worded it in such a way to make it sound like it's too much work for their smaller team.

Still quite suspicious that he basically gave no proper details whatsoever. He came in, said 'things are not all well', made a couple defensive posts after people pressed him for more information and then was never heard from again.

And while being something like a tester isn't something to be dismissed, it also doesn't make one an authority on anything. And it certainly doesn't stop somebody from exaggerating or even making things up.

I've taken what he's said into consideration, but I'm not treating it as gospel by any means.

I don't think anyone should but we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss him either as some troll or drive by poster. It's not like he gained anything by saying that stuff and some of these delays do raise eyebrows but I wish he didn't just leave after a few posts or gave SOME proof or inkling into what he was saying

this is good and this is bad. Good for the game (hopefully) and bad for me who wanted to play it soon as possible. I am not one for detective games with trailers and the like but I remember thinking the last one didn't look as good as the others. Hopefully it all comes together.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
They THEMSELVES promised no more delays stating they aren't AMATEURS.

They are doing this on their own. You don't claim you are absolutely certain of release, then one month before going gold you discover you're not. This simply confirms they are amateurs by their own words.

Bull. An amateur would have stuck to their guns and released a buggy, unfinished game. A professional swallows their pride and does what needs to be done to produce the best product possible. This delay is the definition of professionalism.

OneUh8

I am glad they did. I have too many games to play right now and I was going to start Dragon Age after Christmas. Gives me time with that games and also Evolve and The Oder in February.

god damn it...well, at least its now coming out around nothing else I care about. I can probably get my fill before Arkham Knight

Still fine with this. It's not a question of when I'll play it but how much I'll enjoy it, so I would much rather that CDPR release a game with the fullest amount of confidence.

That said, I do wonder how this will affect their marketing schedule.

NahaNago

Bull. An amateur would have stuck to their guns and released a buggy, unfinished game. A professional swallows their pride and does what needs to be done to produce the best product possible. This delay is the definition of professionalism.

Driveclub, Halo mcc, and assassin's creed for the buggy mess examples. Granted i've only played driveclub and go by hearsay for the other 2. Would they fit under amateur or professional screwup.

SolidJum5

Neo Member
8f7.jpg

hehe.
I'm in the same boat.

I don't mind, it should make the game better and the original release date was too close to the order.

The Order > Bloodborne > Witcher 3 is a great start to they year and has a decent spread if some good indies come out inbetween.

Elandyll

Banned

Let's not get ahead of ourselves too much here.

While I do commend them for realizing they need more time to create the game they want to do and would rather take the harsh feedback from fans now rather than release a sub par product, I wouldn't call the delay (after swearing by the previous release date) the "definition" of professionalism.

To me, professionalism is under-promising and over-delivering.

We will see if they can do that.

Tovarisc

This is plain incompetence and also lack of honesty toward players.

From that post this part stuck out to me.

In single ~weekend CDPR went from one of the most open and honest devs to shady unhonest devs. So much "drama" around latest trailer and now this delay.

I don't think anyone should but we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss him either as some troll or drive by poster. It's not like he gained anything by saying that stuff and some of these delays do raise eyebrows but I wish he didn't just leave after a few posts or gave SOME proof or inkling into what he was saying

I think he "gained" something by posting those black marks about game and CDPR considering how much he gets referenced in this thread. He didn't say anything about anything, but still said enough.

I'm not saying this delay didn't come suddenly or don't bring questions about what changed so close to deadline, but same time I can't but think if this is getting out of proportions because "insider" posted here last March.

marc9600

Neo Member
All for delaying the game so that it doesn't end up being a buggy mess upon release, but I am getting a little concerned that they may have bitten off more than they can chew by moving to an 'open world' concept after the relatively linear Witcher 1 & 2 games (which I loved).

NahaNago

Are they sure this time that all they need is 3 months. Honestly since they've already pushed it back it seems a couple of times or was it just the once to Feb that they are going for its done when its done route hopefully and should have just given themselves either an indefinite time or a ridiculous amount of time to work on it just to make sure. giving themselves exactly three months time seems like it may be pushing it.

Once again, this is not what THEY say:

"This is not our first game; we are not newbies," he said. "It's not like 'hey we are delaying and we'll keep on delaying'. If we would think we need more time we would say 'hey we'll release it not in Feb but, I don't know, June'. We made the decision at the moment we were able to judge how much time we needed, and we planned it well and it works well for us. So, no more delays."

AU Tiger

Good. This is what separates them from guys like Ubisoft who will shovel any half-baked shit out the door.

Not surprised though kinda ironic that it follows right after the internet's outcry over the lackluster visuals in the most recent trailer and pretty much falls in line with the GAF insider claiming troubled development.

I can wait. I have a lot of games to play. when I fire up witcher 3, I want it to be the best game CDPR could have possibly made.

This game seems like it's too ambitions for its own good They set their ambitions sky high, promised the world and now it looks like they could be biting more than they can chew.

1. Promising some of the best "next gen™" graphics in the market.
2. World x times bigger than Skyrim
3. The storytelling Witcher games are know for
4. How many different endings? 60 or something that ridiculous
5. Minimum playthrough time being ~100 hours.

They say they are no newbies, but they're far from veterans. They have only made 2 games in their existence, and only one of them is on consoles (or rather, console). That's not to mention they have no experience whatsoever in open world games, let alone something as bloated as they're promising. And on top of that, they're far from having the size and budget of studios like Rockstar or Bethesda.

I hope they turn things around, but there are some red flags (downgrade, 2 delays and the claims of that insider) that make me think this game's development is in trouble. Unfortunately, with it coming out so close to Arkham Knight and, maybe, MGSV, I'll have no time for this game.

I have a huge suspicion that without the backlash there wouldn't be any delays. They would have shipped the game as is. Then they realized that people were not that easily satisfied. Maybe it will turn out that that rushed trailer was a blessing in disguise.

I usually never mind a delay as the game obviously wasn't ready and the developer decided it needed more time in the oven so that the consumer can get the best product possible.

The timing is especially good this time though. My 1st born is expected at the end of April so I'll have a ton of down time while mama is sleeping and baby is gurgling/lying there/pooping and I can't leave her/his side. Sure my attention will be divided, but now I will have two babies. Maybe I can convince my wife to name the child Geralt or Ciri....(just kiddin)

Top Bottom