• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 has been delayed to May 19, 2015.

Rezae

Good. Better than everyone else shoving crap out and either plugging their ears or "promising" to patch it up to a respectable state.

I have a huge suspicion that without the backlash there wouldn't be any delays. They would have shipped the game as is. Then they realized that people were not that easily satisfied. Maybe it will turn out that that rushed trailer was a blessing in disguise.

I'm at work so I can't check- did they have a date on the VGX trailer? If so then I would think that they did indeed decide to delay within the past day or two for whatever reason.

Koobion

The newer the content shown in TW3 trailers, the seemingly lower quality it appears. The trailer at the awards was indeed lacking in many areas. It's not surprising they need more time. I think it's for the better as far as release schedules too.

Tovarisc

I'm at work so I can't check- did they have a date on the VGX trailer? If so then I would think that they did indeed decide to delay within the past day or two for whatever reason.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Elder Blood Trailer has date at end, February 24th.

Suggests that delay was decided on over last weekend.

TheTwelve

First-world-problems-CRUSHED right now.

[Joking-but-maybe-not]I blame all you guys over-analyzing their last video and making CD Projekt Red feel all insecure and junk.[/Joking-but-maybe-not]

May 19th will be smack-dab in the middle of next season of Game of Thrones so releasing a similarly themed game seems like a good way to cash in on free hype.

Also, to everyone claiming Bloodborne, The Order, and Kirby is their raison d'être for Q1, it seems you have all overlooked the best upcoming release for q1: Total War:Attila. I'm joking in that I expect everyone to be hyped for it, but I'm serious in that it is my absolutely most anticipated game for Q1 now that Witcher is Q2.

HeelPower

Maybe because they decided to add a new playable character ?

That might be a feature that will require a TON of work and hence the delay.

Look on the bright side guys.The game will be great.

SugarDave

I can't say I'm not a little disappointed. It's my most anticipated game right now but hopefully this does give them that extra time to get it all right. It's not like I don't have a bunch of other things to play, and I still need to read the books and replay the games, along with wanting to jump back into GTA V on PC.

The worst thing about this is that it's pretty much also them saying Cyberpunk is 2018 at the earliest.

KorrZ

God damnit. At first my mind filled in what it wanted to see, so I thought it said March 19 and thought "well that's not too bad" but now it's delayed until May?! What the hell.

Obviously it's for the best but it's so damn disappointing when every year it looks like we'll finally avoid a post-fall drought of games and every single year shit gets delayed all over the map again.

misho8723

Banned
Better this way:rather piss some folks of, then releasing a buggy game and then hearing from every side the whole community go apeshit

Welp, that's disappointing, and kinda worrying. I'll take a delayed game over a broken one any day though, especially seeing how some recent games have turned out.

Denton

Fun fact:

Witcher 1 was released october 2007 PC only

Witcher 2 was released may 2011, 43 months after Witcher 1, PC only.

Witcher 3 will be released may 2015, 48 months after Witcher 2, on 3 platforms simultaneously.

Now consider scope and complexity.

Plus the X360 version took time and effort, plus the enhanced editions..

TheTwelve

Fun fact:

Witcher 1 was released october 2007

Witcher 2 was released may 2011, 43 months after Witcher 1.

Witcher 3 will be released may 2015, 48 months after Witcher 2.

Very logical and makes sense, thanks for that.

Yet in their statement they apologize for underestimating how long it would take to make Witcher 3. I mean if I follow your logic they should have been real about this from the start instead of leading us on twice now.

ced

Fun fact:

Witcher 3 will be released may 2015, 48 months after Witcher 2, on 3 platforms simultaneously.

They're now a 2 game studio as well with Cyberpunk right?

I'm pretty numb to delays. Of course I used to be a huge fan of...

Wdlogo.png

RedSwirl

They say they are no newbies, but they're far from veterans. They have only made 2 games in their existence (and this is a 20 year old studio), and only one of them is on consoles (or rather, console). That's not to mention they have no experience whatsoever in open world games, let alone something as bloated as they're promising. And on top of that, they're far from having the size and budget of studios like Rockstar or Bethesda.

I would agree that CDPR is still a relatively inexperienced mid-budget Slavic team. In that sense their one main advantage is that they aren't pressured by the need to sell 5 million copies, which probably gives them more creative freedom than someone like a team working under EA or Ubisoft.

But from the announcements they've made it seems like the real issue is bug testing. What we've heard suggests the game may actually be content-complete or near content-complete.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Fun fact:

Sure, but I also imagine the number of employees has increased since Witcher 1, along with more experience from making the previous Witcher games, better tools and workflow etc.

Denton

Very logical and makes sense, thanks for that.

Yet in their statement they apologize for underestimating how long it would take to make Witcher 3. I mean if I follow your logic they should have been real about this from the start instead of leading us on twice now.

Game development is not an exact science. They have 260 people on this. Managing it must be nightmare. There is huge amount of R&D involved and you never know how much time various things will take, so you have to make educated guesses. It turns out that their educated guesses were wrong, but this happens all the time, as we can see with many AAA games released this year and the next.
They're now a 2 game studio as well with Cyberpunk right?

Yeah, but IIRC they said that most of the team is on Witcher now trying to get it ready.

TheTwelve

Game development is not an exact science. They have 260 people on this. Managing it must be nightmare. There is huge amount of R&D involved and you never know how much time various things will take, so you have to make educated guesses. It turns out that their educated guesses were wrong, but this happens all the time, as we can see with many AAA games released this year and the next.

I will gladly follow and accept your logic. I still believe in CD Projekt Red and I believe they are indeed trying their best here.

Dries

I have a huge suspicion that without the backlash there wouldn't be any delays. They would have shipped the game as is. Then they realized that people were not that easily satisfied. Maybe it will turn out that that rushed trailer was a blessing in disguise.

Yep. I really think CDPR delayed their game only because some sour NeoGAF members were complaining.... Come on, man. Just NeoGAF being NeoGAF.

NovaCross

Neo Member
Can't help but feel a little sad over this but whatever it takes to get the game to the level of quality that it needs and should be.

ColdRose

Well that's a shame. I mean it's good I guess from a dev point of view and will hopefully result in a more polished game, but I'm far better fixed to play it in February than I will be in May - this actually means that I may have to wait until August or even next Christmas before I can spend time with TW3 :(

Ah well, best of luck to CDPR anyway, I'm sure TW3 will be a marvellous game :)

This game was one of the many major reasons I got a ps4. It's unfortunate, but at least this gives me time to play 'catch up' with the system's games.

Evo X

Think I'm gonna cancel my CE preorder on Amazon.

All of the recent game fuck ups have shattered my faith. :/

Desaan

Meh.

Don't worry guys, you can play the better version of the Witcher 3 right now. It's called a modded Skyrim.

Top Bottom