• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness price revealed ($39.99 / €36.99)

wowzors

Doesn't look like its doing much to push the hardware to me. A big map in and of itself isn't going to cause any problems.

The PlayStation launch trailer looks to be running sub 30 in some areas, could be an unfortunate side effect of YouTube.

I'd prefer this on ps4 but I could also do PC if it is an actual issue. I'm just happy there are no preorder bonuses to worry about.

To me, the more interesting question will be how much it costs when it is released on iOS.

I would guess somewhere between $9.99-19.99. Given the pricing of some PC ports (XCOM, This War of Mine, Bioshock, etc.), $9.99-14.99 is perhaps closer to where he'll land in terms of pricing.

Anyway, I think $40 sounds fair for this game. Particularly given the amount of time, work and money he seems to have put into it. I'm in the middle of a few games right now, so I'm not sure I'll get it day 1, but I wouldn't be opposed to the $40 price tag.

Many people seem keen on so called mid tier development budget games making a comeback. Well, this is what their prices will look like if they do. Blow and his teammates have been working on this for years. The team isnt large, but after so many years you are looking at a lot of man hours put into it.

PolishQ

I wonder how the number of puzzles are counted. Does the two intro puzzles (straight and angled line) from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SWBC8-68qo count as separate puzzles? What about the boat in one of the trailers where you use a puzzle square to select a destination?

Here's an appropriate Blow quote:

Counting all the things that I would consider puzzles, and I'm not even going to elaborate on what that means, there's probably 550 right now.

(from this 2014 interview)

So, I think we can safely say that "667 puzzles" does not simply mean "667 maze panels".

I think it's a good question, though. Like, is escaping the initial tutorial one puzzle, or is it six (or whatever) because that's how many panels are involved?

Similarly, the row of panels you come across shortly after leaving the tutorial area - would those count as one puzzle since they work together to express a certain concept? Or is each panel a puzzle? Or is the act of learning the concept and then applying it to the nearby locked door the puzzle?

We may never know, unless someone goes to the trouble of counting them, or if the game contains some kind of completion counter (which I'm honestly not sure if it will)!

saunderez

The PlayStation launch trailer looks to be running sub 30 in some areas, could be an unfortunate side effect of YouTube.

I'd prefer this on ps4 but I could also do PC if it is an actual issue. I'm just happy there are no preorder bonuses to worry about.

I hadn't seen the trailer so I hope you're right. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't run well, it'll probably sway me to hold off. Still waiting for reviews to make a decision.

ymgve

I think it's a good question, though. Like, is escaping the initial tutorial one puzzle, or is it six (or whatever) because that's how many panels are involved?

Similarly, the row of panels you come across shortly after leaving the tutorial area - would those count as one puzzle since they work together to express a certain concept? Or is each panel a puzzle? Or is the act of learning the concept and then applying it to the nearby locked door the puzzle?

I assume at least for the row of puzzles after the tutorial area that each "frame" count as a separate puzzle. Because otherwise, this isn't a 100 hour game, but a 1000 hour game.

We may never know, unless someone goes to the trouble of counting them, or if the game contains some kind of completion counter (which I'm honestly not sure if it will)!

He tweeted about doing a 100% run "by puzzle count" at the end of last year, so there's definitely a counter.

Plus you have the achievements. Can't have a lot of achievements in a game like this without a completion counter.

Yagharek

Why would a plastic disc make it more valuable to you. Are planning to resell it?

I have more control over what happens to it in the future.

I also don't trust security or future support on any digital delivery system yet, so as a general principle I only spend the same as a dvd rental and no more on digital only games as that is a fair amount to lose on a transient purchase.

If it's something more than ten bucks it is either bought on sale, physical version or not at all.

Wait, this isn't on Xbone?

D4d9ABB.png

Yagharek

With the amount of DRM or forced Steamplay in physical releases, not really.

Eh, a physical system can't be hacked and taken away in the same way an account can be.

In the end though, that's way too much for a digital only purchase for reasons I outlined above. It's not too much for a game, but only if it's a tangible product and not subject to a corporation's reading of an eula in the event of an account hack.

Nameless

I bought SOMA at launch in large part due to the story surrounding its development, but also because I believe in supporting independent developers doing cool, ambitious shit. Indie games provide a unique opportunity to actually have your voice heard when speaking when with your wallet, and this game being successful would send the sorta statements the industry needs to hear imo. With said 'The Witness' will probably live or die based on its reviews. Definitely pulling for it, though.

eksy

Banned
I'm not paying that much for a digital game. If the game is good and interests me ill buy it physically if an option exists. Length of the game has nothing to do with it.

Exactly. It's too much to commit if the player finds out it's not for them. Whereas a retail physical edition you would be able to resell it to recoup the costs.

Using the estimated length of a game to justify the costs is also foolish -- a game's experience is not some static value. A game could force you to grind something repeatedly for a period of time or "encourage" you to go after collectibles. Some things in a game you won't consider worthy of your time.

If they wanted design a game at this price point, they should have planned a retail release to entice those on the fence. Consumers have more power/rights/options with physical and can take more chances.

PolishQ

Exactly. It's too much to commit if the player finds out it's not for them. Whereas a retail physical edition you would be able to resell it to recoup the costs.

Using the estimated length of a game to justify the costs is also foolish -- a game's experience is not some static value. A game could force you to grind something repeatedly for a period of time or "encourage" you to go after collectibles. Some things in a game you won't consider worthy of your time.

If they wanted design a game at this price point, they should have planned a retail release to entice those on the fence. Consumers have more power/rights/options with physical and can take more chances.

A physical release is coming. Calm down.

Geeez people they didn't make this beautiful world with just puzzle panels scattered around. The panels are the puzzles the answers are found within the island. You will be looking around the environment for the answers. I'm pretty sure there's a video explaining some of the ways it works.

rje

Happy to see the game in the 10-15 range on steam's Top Sellers list all day. Looks like the price isn't causing any problems.

Day one.

I have faith that the game will be good and I'm more than happy to support Jonathon Blow & The team at Thekla Inc.

$40 is cheaper than I thought as this has a larger budget than most big kickstarter games and you can already see from the trailers/teasers the amount of work and attention to detail that has been put in to this game.

GhaleonEB

There's nothing wrong with releasing a game at this price point digitally, but for those who really want a retail release, one is planned.

LifEndz

Seems fair. Sounds like he packed on the content, so I doubt it's something most of us can breeze through. I don't buy puzzle games because I know I'd wind up YouTubing my way through it.

RexNovis

Banned
I checked this thread when it first opened and saw that it was priced at $39 and thought "Oh cool must be bigger than I thought it was." Checked around and found quotes from blow saying the game was 30 - 100 hours of puzzles and exploration. Seemed like a good deal to me.

Then I log back into gaf and see this thread has somehow reached 12 pages?!?! I don't understand how this is such controversial news. Does not compute. If you don't think the game will be worth that much don't buy it. If you do then great buy the game and enjoy it. How the hell does such a simple decision spawn a massive thread?

I checked this thread when it first opened and saw that it was priced at $39 and thought "Oh cool must be bigger than I thought it was." Checked around and found quotes from blow saying the game was 30 - 100 hours of puzzles and exploration. Seemed like a good deal to me.

Then I log back into gaf and see this thread has somehow reached 12 pages?!?! I don't understand how this is such controversial news. Does not compute. If you don't think the game will be worth that much don't buy it. If you do then great buy the game and enjoy it. How the hell does such a simple decision spawn a massive thread?

It's the same people who piss and moan about the indie titles on Plus. I've spent more time playing Binding of Isaac and Rocket League than a lot of 60 dollar purchases I've made. For some reason people think that indie titles should never be more expensive than 15 dollars for reasons.

Breads

Banned
I'll bite. I've been wanting to see indies up their value and it was tragic seeing games like Ori sell for $20 so maybe if this turns out well indie devs can start getting paid what they deserve.

I am going to wait for reviews and impressions but the price point didn't change that opinion.

Oh and there is absolutely nothing wrong with pricing a game digitally at $40 and definitely nothing wrong with a puzzle game being priced at that point.

I am just concerned about it feeling repetitious. No need for hundreds of puzzles if they all feel the same. That is a game design flaw though not a price point one. We shall see but this is most definitely still on my radar.

hwy_61

Banned
I am going to wait for reviews and impressions but the price point didn't change that opinion.

Oh and there is absolutely nothing wrong with pricing a game digitally at $40 and definitely nothing wrong with a puzzle game being priced at that point.

I am just concerned about it feeling repetitious. No need for hundreds of puzzles if they all feel the same. That is a game design flaw though not a price point one. We shall see but this is most definitely still on my radar.

Ditto. You got some sense, kiddo.

Which goes against Blow's entire known design philosophy.

pargonta

repetition can be used as a thematic tool however, or a way to manipulate the player in one way or another. but repetition to no end, would be a burden

Proxy

From what I've seen and read about the game I have no problem with this price point. Man, next Tuesday can't come soon enough; I've been wanting to play this ever since its showing at the 2013 PlayStation Meeting.

Top Bottom