• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Pro in 2026 ( Brad Sams speculation video )

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
My previous reply maybe wasn't the best, so let's look at the major titles that have been released so far.

(From the top of my head, so feel free tk add):

Xbox:

- Halo
- Forza
- Redfall
- Starfield

Playstation:

- Ratchet & Clank
- Horizon Forbidden West
- God of War
- Spider-Man Miles Morales
- Spider-Man 2
- Gran Turismo 7

That's not counting games like Demon's Souls Remake and TLOU Remakes.

Production-value and quality of the Sony titles outclass those of MS.
I don't even think that's up for discussion.

(If the games are enjoyable is debatable though).

i think microsoft releases quality games. List every game that they published from launch and their metacritic/open critic rating and I am sure the majority of them are within, what should be considered a decent range. Say anything over an 80.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Being more powerful aren't exactly helping them in this gen or historically, Microsoft bought a lot of studios and talent, now is the time to prove us that they can in fact manage their assets and start to produce quality games on a good rate. COD can be weaponized against Sony once the new cycle starts because Sony will not provide them with a PS6 DEV KIT for competitive reasons, locking COD to the PS5 standards, the same way Minecraft don't have a PS5 version.

Killjoy-NL

i think microsoft releases quality games. List every game that they published from launch and their metacritic/open critic rating and I am sure the majority of them are within, what should be considered a decent range. Say anything over an 80.
Yes, decent.

That's the issue, decent games aren't getting them anywhere.
Since last-gen gen, they excel at mediocrity. Which isn't a bad thing at all, but after so long, they lost any goodwill they've built with the X360, to the point that their brand became irrelevant, even more so with Day 1 PC releases and focus on GamePass.
Even that already hit a ceiling, despite being on PC as well, because MS is almost synonimous with mediocrity (again, this isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Which brings us back to the original point, that all that money and all the studios mean nothing if you don't put it to good use.

The fact that the brand is dying says it all and a Pro console or early next-gen won't change a thing.

Tbh we're way past the point of no return.

Last edited:
obviously, it'll solve everything. at least, i'm pretty it will according to jez, anyway...
It probably won't go the way discount journalists and rabid Xbox YouTubers seems to believe. Potentially won't be a mid gen upgrade, not at the rate and momentum at which Series consoles are selling at, and absolutely not with the Series S in the way, as inserting a third hardware config in the way, will most probably strain devs even more and force them to have to optimise for it(even more responsibilities).

A new gen console will be the more likely outcome and hopefully it'll help them gain some momentum ahead of the inevitable PS6, but honestly, we've seen how extremely insignificantly headstarts have helped Xbox in the past, so I doubt it'll put a dent in Sony's gaming market share.

Most Console gamers are far too fixated on Playstation to care that much for Xbox and they've had 20 years to put things in place, but, as we all know, they instead chose to jerk off and sleep behind Microsoft's Trillions. How much a new gen is going to work for them? At this point, nobody knows for sure. Hopefully the outcome is positive.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yes, decent.

That's the issue, decent games aren't getting them anywhere.
Since last-gen gen, they excel at mediocrity. Which isn't a bad thing at all, but after so long, they lost any goodwill they've built with the X360, to the point that their brand became irrelevant, even more so with Day 1 PC releases and focus on GamePass.
Even that already hit a ceiling, despite being on PC as well, because MS is almost synonimous with mediocrity (again, this isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Which brings us back to the original point, that all that money and all the studios mean nothing if you don't put it to good use.

The fact that the brand is dying says it all and a Pro console or early next-gen won't change a thing.

Tbh we're way past the point of no return.

I think we are on the same page, apart from you say their good games are "mediocrity" which I dont think they are. I think they are good games. But, I agree they haven't had an industry leading megaton game for many years and that's what they need to deliver. It will only take a couple of absolute bangers to bring them back.

When we do compare releases. there is only a handful of those bid heavy hitters from the competition. so you need the big heavy hitters with the consistency in between to win the crowd over. If microsoft were releasing games like Hi Fi Rush, Pentiment, Forza, Sea of thieves, Grounded etc in between big tentpole games, I feel the sentiment would be different. Their biggest problem this year is Starfield did not land where it needed to and thats a big problem for them.

Unknown?

By then if MS has completed its acquisition of ActiBlizz, they'll bundle next COD with new Xbox, or even next Doom, next Wolfenstein or the remastered Morrowind and they'll sell out just like the Diablo 4 Xbox bundle was sold out at Wallmart.
Ah so they will still have limited stock? Genius!

CoD isn't exclusive until the mid 30's.
MS didn't buy Activision for $70b to cut COD from what's possibly the game's biggest client: PS users, like they didn't cut Minecraft from any platform.

You guys are still thinking about consoles way too much. MS cares about consoles but they are using a more "play anywhere you want" approach and that includes PS users.

At this point i'm sure someone at MS has thought something like "Considering there has been no increase in Xbox units...was it worth it not releasing Starfield on Playstation?"

Sony released Spider-Man 2 and that month saw a HUGE boost in units sold for the PS5. The same can't be said about Starfield and Xbox...if you can't increase demand for your platform when you keep a huge new AAA IP as this one exclusive...what's the point of cutting potential sales on a platform that has over 50 million users?

Gudji

summon mortal kombat GIF

StereoVsn

To be fair a few years ago developers releasing for Xbox and PS were releasing for (deep breath...)

PS4, Xbox One, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Ps5, Series S, Series X

In the future that could be

PS5, Series S, Series X, PS5 Pro, New Xbox.

The new Xbox Hardware if it was called Series X Pro wouldn't cause any consternation. There's not much worry about PS5 Pro being a burden for developers, that I've seen, and there shouldn't be about the new Xbox.
Yeah, realistically a current gen developer is going to have PS5 as their base platform. XSX is not an issue obviously, neither will be going up to PS5 pro or XSX Pro (or whatever it’s called).

The problem will remain with XSS. Which is where I can see MS launching a new gen quickly, making it have full BC but dropping XSS from “next gen support”.

Devs can still make cross gen games. Problem is will any 3rd party studios/publishers care unless MS pays them to care? Because otherwise the target market is pretty small.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Yeah, realistically a current gen developer is going to have PS5 as their base platform. XSX is not an issue obviously, neither will be going up to PS5 pro or XSX Pro (or whatever it’s called).

The problem will remain with XSS. Which is where I can see MS launching a new gen quickly, making it have full BC but dropping XSS from “next gen support”.

Devs can still make cross gen games. Problem is will any 3rd party studios/publishers care unless MS pays them to care? Because otherwise the target market is pretty small.

Microsoft has tens of millions of consoles sold and that number is going up. It might not be going up as quickly as Sony's number, but it'd be a weird situation for a 3rd party to do all the work to make a title, especially one made in an engine like Unreal and then not think that it would be worth porting that title over to a platform with millions of potential customers when the majority of the work is already done.

"Could we do with millions of dollars more?"
"Nah, we hate money, we make games for love."

Every system will be BC now - Sony and Microsoft for sure at least. There's no way that either company launches a new system that doesn't play the games that people bought for the previous one and there's also no chance that every new console doesn't have a period of cross gen gaming.

Effectively, every console to some degree or another is a refresh now.

Last edited:
Why do people think releasing a new system early is a good strategy? It only worked with the 360 because of sonys 599 US dollars! Not because of releasing early. Releasing early will do fuck all for Microsoft without a fuck up from Sony like with the PS3.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
people talk about the Xbox tax and media bias. but is so funny that amidst of a catastrophic performance in avery market, the goal post has move not to the new games that are coming every quarter, CoD or tools are finally ready. But an entire new console coming early. and these shills lack of self-awareness of their own talking points at the beginning of this gen make thier current words even more hilarious.

StereoVsn

Microsoft has tens of millions of consoles sold and that number is going up. It might not be going up as quickly as Sony's number, but it'd be a weird situation for a 3rd party to do all the work to make a title, especially one made in an engine like Unreal and then not think that it would be worth porting that title over to a platform with millions of potential customers when the majority of the work is already done.

Every system will be BC now - Sony and Microsoft for sure at least. There's no way that either company launches a new system that doesn't play the games that people bought for the previous one and there's also no chance that every new console doesn't have a period of cross gen gaming.

For purely next gen it’s a big question if XS Next is going to have a large user base. MS sales has been crashing rather spectacularly even in US/UK and ROTW is basically done.

So for cross gen games Xbox Next will be fine (as long as they keep x86) but would people buy that if they can play cross gen on PS5 / Pro / XSX? And for PS5/Pro users they will have their full library to lose (a lot of folks do sell old consoles to get new) for unclear gains with PS6 coming in a year or two.

I think this whole idea hinges on whether or not MS can deliver games. That’s the biggest ??? here.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Why do people think releasing a new system early is a good strategy? It only worked with the 360 because of sonys 599 US dollars! Not because of releasing early. Releasing early will do fuck all for Microsoft without a fuck up from Sony like with the PS3.
I don't know how many actually think its a good idea but these Xbox channels will push its a great idea because they are told to

I think its a two fold reaction on Xbox part trying to avoid releasing in the same window as PS6 and not go head to head hardware sales wise

Plus being caught a little unprepared with the PS5 Pro and realizing its not a great idea to release a Series X redesign at $499 launching at the same time as the PS5 Pro

reinking

Gold Member
Which is selling the most right now? X or S? I honestly do not know but if it is the S what makes them think bringing out a more powerful console is going to move units when their current power house isn’t selling as well? If it is the X then bring it and make it a focal point. Screw parity with the older consoles, I am saying release games on the older consoles but don’t hold dev’s accountable to bring the same features to the weaker ones,.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
For purely next gen it’s a big question if XS Next is going to have a large user base. MS sales has been crashing rather spectacularly even in US/UK and ROTW is basically done.

So for cross gen games Xbox Next will be fine (as long as they keep x86) but would people buy that if they can play cross gen on PS5 / Pro / XSX? And for PS5/Pro users they will have their full library to lose (a lot of folks do sell old consoles to get new) for unclear gains with PS6 coming in a year or two.

I think this whole idea hinges on whether or not MS can deliver games. That’s the biggest ??? here.

I think Microsoft's demise is heavily overstated here. I visit 3 forums and this is the only one that posts daily projections that Xbox will leave the hardware market. There's a weird duality here where you think it's inconceivable that someone would drop their Ps library and buy an Xbox, but the millions of xbox users will jump ship at the drop of a hat.

I agree that games will drive Xbox's sales over time. But really they need to build a library of exclusives that people want to play, I picked up my PS5 when there was a decent number of PS4 and 5 games I wanted to play, I don't see why Xbox couldn't do that. Also, with their Gamepass model, they stand to make that a more attractive proposition with a lower cost of entry. If they have a few must play games, and the technical advantage too and you're driven by playing games, rather than supporting a corporation, then it seems like a pretty good option to me.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Which is selling the most right now? X or S? I honestly do not know but if it is the S what makes them think bringing out a more powerful console is going to move units when their current power house isn’t selling as well? If it is the X then bring it and make it a focal point. Screw parity with the older consoles, I am saying release games on the older consoles but don’t hold dev’s accountable to bring the same features to the weaker ones,.

In the U.S it’s predicted that Series X will catch up to Series S somewhere next year, which means right now the majority are Series S owners, in the U.S at least.

But yes MS isn’t changing strategy because things are going as they predicted. Their Gamepass strategy has changed, their Xcloud strategy has changed, and their hardware strategy has changed. Ask Xbox YouTube/Twitter/Forums though and they will write you a book on how things have never been better.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I think Microsoft's demise is heavily overstated here. I visit 3 forums and this is the only one that posts daily projections that Xbox will leave the hardware market
lets be cereal for a moment. Xbox wouldn't exist without MS's deep pockets. Especially after the failure that was Xbox One. following the already expensive mistake that was the Red Ring of Dead.

Also Xbox has been an afterthought for MS.
0w8ATvE.jpg

But even after Phil became 'President of Gaming' the "doom and gloom" talk is even more prevalent than ever in xbox circles. Why? because MS/Xbox mixed messaging.

MS dropping the console is basically irrelevant at this point, when is nonexistent in Europe in the first place and they are struggling to compete in their strongest market.

what people don't realize is that there are two opposite ideologies between MS and Xbox.

Quixz

It's not speculation if Brad reporting it, this is an announcement on behalf of Microsoft and the same with the guy from the verge.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , do you think, given your premise of the 2025 release happens to be real and not the insider/influencer claims of 26, they'll be hastily getting ready to drop the Xbox (fucked up nextgen console name) Pro a year after the PS6 releases (2027/28?), to reclaim the obvious power advantage the PS6 will have over the new gen Xbox?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , do you think, given your premise of the 2025 release happens to be real and not the insider/influencer claims of 26, they'll be hastily getting ready to drop the Xbox (fucked up nextgen console name) Pro a year after the PS6 releases (2027/28?), to reclaim the obvious power advantage the PS6 will have over the new gen Xbox?
I think that very thing has been discussed at green HQ

I'm so confused, So microsoft is now making a Pro console?
I do not believe its a Pro console because its not based on the current tech much like the PS5 Pro but again I have said for months with BC what's in the name Pro vs next gen anyhow?

The MS mixed messaging is from them not ready to pull the band-aid off.
They need the subscribers and console base they have now while this transition takes place.

People take these polar opposite views that Xbox will stay in the console space or go full 3rd party without hardware.
I think the truth could end up some where in the middle, like having Xbox licensed and branded media PCs and a streaming puck.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think that very thing has been discussed at green HQ

I do not believe its a Pro console because its not based on the current tech much like the PS5 Pro but again I have said for months with BC what's in the name Pro vs next gen anyhow?

Interesting, I wonder how quickly engineers can work to make a decent hardware box in a short amount of time. I mean, we were under the impression from Phil that nothing was on the cards.....or was he just lying?

Killjoy-NL

Tens of millions?

Aren't they around ~25M?
They'll be lucky to reach 40M by the end of this gen. That's probably even a stretch.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Tens of millions?

Around they around ~25M?
They'll be lucky to reach 40M by the end of this gen. That's probably even a stretch.

I imagine they should be at 40 million in 2 more years. THey should be on around 27 - 28 million I believe now. I am sure i heard 25 million on here months and months ago.

>2 years after PS5 Pro
So they'll let PS5 dominate sales for two years, potentially cratering Xbox sales to sub 5 million per year worldwide.
>1-2 years before PS6
So they'll cede the technological crown of next-gen to Playstation out the gate. Just before the NextBox releases, Sony can do its yearly showcase with games and have some 10 minute talk/presentation at the end about the future of Playstation hardware and "Please stay tuned for the real next generation", sucking out all the oxygen from the competition's launch.

Really, there is no easy plan here.

It’s like that movie quote about nuclear war

“The only way to win is to not play”

Thirty7ven

Banned
Interesting, I wonder how quickly engineers can work to make a decent hardware box in a short amount of time. I mean, we were under the impression from Phil that nothing was on the cards.....or was he just lying?

Well they will just plug whatever will be ready from AMD’s roadmap so I don’t expect anything exotic from them as usual. Should make for a quick turnaround.

Killjoy-NL

I imagine they should be at 40 million in 2 more years. THey should be on around 27 - 28 million I believe now. I am sure i heard 25 million on here months and months ago.
Wishful thinking. Sales are on a decline.

They only did 0.88M this entire year in Europe while PS5 sold like 1.3M in November in UK alone.
It's getting steamrolled rn and it seems to only get worse.

Last edited:
Doubt it. Didn't they only reach that 1 gen and it was from counting RROD replacements?
If anything they're losing mind share atm. I don't see how this becomes their best gen yet.

Thirty7ven

Banned

The console will be under 25 million right now, and with sales slowing down hard it’s hard to see how they get to 40 in two years.

Which explains the rush for a new gen.

wolffy66

You will never see a "new" console from MS again. They will just refresh the series x and s every few years to keep its power and features up to date.

There won't be a console that isn't compatible with the library imo.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Doubt it. Didn't they only reach that 1 gen and it was from counting RROD replacements?
If anything they're losing mind share atm. I don't see how this becomes their best gen yet.

They reached 70 odd million xbox 360 gen, I believe. Their decline has been drastic since then.

The console will be under 25 million right now, and with sales slowing down hard it’s hard to see how they get to 40 in two years.

Which explains the rush for a new gen.

Ahhh ok, I must have got mixed up. Well then, yeh 40 million is a stretch then. They probs wont make it to 35 million without something drastic.

Neo_game

It's not speculation if Brad reporting it, this is an announcement on behalf of Microsoft and the same with the guy from the verge.

If true then this is too late for Pro console. 2027 or 2028 PS6 is likely to be released as PS5 Pro is coming in 2024.

Waiting 6 years for a refresh is too long, especially when you are tied with the anchor that is series s.
Sony got the cadence down since ps4 pro, every 4 years a boost of power to those who care. 8 years console cycle is enough for the top devs to get at least 2 games per gen + the smaller expansions.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't know what kind of performance bumps we will see going from Zen 2 to Zen 5 as that's well above my pay grade tech wise

This is some speculation on my part but I think there is a push to try and get this system out around GTA6 launch window since very early totally unconfirmed rumor numbers point to a 2x power jump over PS5 Pro

hes just repeating the same shit other rumors started months ago. even HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 was talking about this back during the summer.
Its odd how its getting traction now as I even saw Colt Eastwood now had a video on it as well.

Seems all the Xbox mouth pieces got the same memo to go ahead and get it out there

Top Bottom