• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: Lester Holt Shouldn't Fact Check Monday's Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
FKYV4Zt.gif

He can't avoid the inevitable.
"It doesn't matter what's running through Trump's mind, what matters is what's running down his legs.

PISS.
"

RPGCrazied

Hillary is a #2 seed going up against Trump's #15 seed. She is expected to stomp and if she doesn't, that's the narrative. Trump's performance doesn't matter because his voters don't care about things like factual information and honest dialogue.

We don't care about his supporters. Its more of a go at independents and swing voters, even a lot of Republicans that can't stand their nominee. His supporters are a lost cause, beyond repair, etc.

CrazyDude

The way he destroyed Paul Ryan belongs to history books. He made him look like an incompetent tool, and that's a man with actual political experience. Not only he snatched his soul on live TV, but he did so without looking like a bully and keeping a smile on his face during most of the debate.

I feel like Hillary may come out too stern, which could play straight into Trump's hands if he gets the beating he'll probably get. Biden, though, nobody would acuse crazy uncle Joe of being a bully, even if we all know he would scalp Trump's toupee just for shit and giggles. It would be such an spectacle.

I get the feeling most people don't think a women can bully a man. In fact I would say most people would get that impression more easily the other way around, as sexist as it is.

Facts have a democratic bias and Trump has openly critizised facts so it would be a conflict of interest to allow them to be a part in this debate.

Arkeband

Banned
He's right. The debate is between two presidential candidates. The moderator's job is to moderate, not debate. That's how it's always been. The whole fact checking, interview style nonsense is something that started this year in the primaries. I remember Fox News playing clips and asking candidates to defend themselves. umm, hes not debating Fox News. You have your own shows to do this.

Same goes for Jorge Ramos asking Hillary to promise free citizenship to all. WTF is that. You are supposed to pose a topic to BOTH candidates and let them duke it out. Your only job is to make sure they dont go over their time. That's it.

We have fact checks on the morning papers for a reason.

Why you being slimy, SlimySnake.

Debates should be fact checked in real time. It's a GOOD thing that we have the capability to call people out on spewing outright lies instead of letting them sit and fester for an indeterminate period of time.

And your comparison to Jorge Ramos asking Hillary for promises is not the same as fact checking.

In short, you just posted a load of nonsense.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Is anyone else worried about an upset during the debates? This really feels like a sure win team walking into a no-win team and a major upset about to happen. No facts or reason to support that, just a weird feeling of over expectations on Clinton having a sure fire slam dunk.

VariantX

Meanwhile, you hear crickets from the Clinton camp on the debates because they're too busy actually preparing for them, even against someone like Trump, instead of complaining about various aspects of the debates before they even start. Fact checks shouldn't be a problem if you tell the truth in the first place. Hillary will get caught in a lie same as Trump if either of them say bullshit on the podium.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The way he destroyed Paul Ryan belongs to history books. He made him look like an incompetent tool, and that's a man with actual political experience. Not only he snatched his soul on live TV, but he did so without looking like a bully and keeping a smile on his face during most of the debate.

I feel like Hillary may come out too stern, which could play straight into Trump's hands if he gets the beating he'll probably get. Biden, though, nobody would acuse crazy uncle Joe of being a bully, even if we all know he would scalp Trump's toupee just for shit and giggles. It would be such an spectacle.

From what some of the reporting out of her debate prep has been saying, they've been prepping her to handle Trump like she handled that 12 hour Benghazi hearing. Considering how many gifs that thing spawned and how she got a really nice popularity bump after it was all over, I'm not too worried about her looking like a bully--especially next to Trump.

That said, I'd love to go visit an alternate universe where this debate will be Biden vs Trump. Or someone needs to make a speculative fiction movie on it.

A used diaphragm picked up off the jersey shore

Fucking hell :lol

RPGCrazied

Mark it down. He is going to say excuse me a lot, along with the words Tremendous, Sad, Believe me, Great people, Bigly.

And lets not forget the word very. Its all he knows.

He's right. The debate is between two presidential candidates. The moderator's job is to moderate, not debate. That's how it's always been. The whole fact checking, interview style nonsense is something that started this year in the primaries. I remember Fox News playing clips and asking candidates to defend themselves. umm, hes not debating Fox News. You have your own shows to do this.

Same goes for Jorge Ramos asking Hillary to promise free citizenship to all. WTF is that. You are supposed to pose a topic to BOTH candidates and let them duke it out. Your only job is to make sure they dont go over their time. That's it.

We have fact checks on the morning papers for a reason.

That's pretty much entirely incorrect. Debate is a game, requiring rules and strategy. Imagine a baseball game without any officiating crew, just letting the teams play by whatever rules they want, calling foul balls fair, etc.

Garlador

Only concern is that, as the Clinton campaign stated, Trump clears the low, low, LOW bar of not being an incoherent mess and everyone goes "wow, he did far better than we thought an unqualified, rambling, racist would do!" and he gets points for not self-imploding.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I get the feeling most people don't think a women can bully a man. In fact I would say most people would get that impression more easily the other way around, as sexist as it is.

Hillary is already seen as evil incarnate by the GOP. I mean, she's not named Killary for nothing.

What is he actually suggesting though? That him and Hillary shouting "no you're lying" back and forth for an hour is somehow meant to be an actual debate?

Biske

Don't worry Don, our media are all ineffectual idiots who are afraid of any kind of controversy, so you won't be challenged at all.

Ithil

He's not. He feels no obligation to even remotely adhere to the truth, and will say absolutely anything. I am not looking forward to these debates at all.

So what happens if the moderators call him out on a blatant lie in the middle of the debate? What's his back-up plan? What happens if they press him for real details on his policies and he has nothing to say because he has no policies, just slogans?

Why do you think he's been pushing all these "It's rigged!", "The moderators will be biased against me!" ideas for months in advance? He knows this is going to be the absolute worst environment for his shtick. No cheering or booing crowd, fact-checking moderators who will cut his mic if he starts throwing a tantrum, and an opponent who is experienced at debates and out to destroy him here (unlike his Primary debates where his Republican opponents can't attack him that much because they are still Republicans and overlap with him on many issues).

CrazyDude

Is anyone else worried about an upset during the debates? This really feels like a sure win team walking into a no-win team and a major upset about to happen. No facts or reason to support that, just a weird feeling of over expectations on Clinton having a sure fire slam dunk.

Trump has yet to have a debate one on one with someone. He has mostly had debates with a huge group of republicans, so he didn't have to spend that much time coming up with answers. Don't forget he stepped out of the debate when there was only two other people left to debate him. He might have had an excuse about not needing to debate anymore, but that was obviously a bullshit excuse. He also wasn't attacked as much in primary debates on his policy ideas because the other couldn't refute them very hard because the base and party have similar views.

Loxley

It seriously seems like he's setting up a contingency plan to pull out of the remaining debates if he crashes and burns on Monday's debate because of his own idiocy.

He's already claimed that Holt was a democrat, even though he isn't, so going in he's creating a narrative of liberal bias against him.

hillary has decades of experience doing this kind of thing. trump is going to get wrecked as in his supporters will love him more but moderates and undecideds will scoff at him. and of course hillary supporters will be more bewildered that scum like trump even has the chance to debate hillary formally

zethren

Banned
I'm sorry, hang on a second....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh god, Monday is going to be the entertainment event of the year. I cannot wait. Oh man, oh man.

Mr Trump, go fuck yourself.

Zophar

Hillary is already seen as evil incarnate by the GOP. I mean, she's not named Killary for nothing.

Hillary is both hyper woman, totally prone to all of the alleged emotional and biological failures of all womanhood, and a T-1000, absent of all empathy and mercy. I wish I were exaggerating.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It seriously seems like he's setting up a contingency plan to pull out of the remaining debates if he crashes and burns on Monday's debate because of his own idiocy.

He's already claimed that Holt was a democrat, even though he isn't, so going in he's creating a narrative of liberal bias against him.

There's been rumors for a while that he wouldn't show anymore after the first debate if it goes poorly for him.

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!
Feel pretty confident we won't get any surprises in the debates.

Both candidates will be stickin to what has worked for them.

Hillary will talk policy. Donald will point fingers and talk at a 4th grade reading level. They might clash a bit, but Donald doesn't want to get pulled into a policy debate and Hillary doesn't want to come off as being stuffy.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
How was Candy Crowley wrong about Obama's claim? I see right-wingers whine about this all the time, but no one can explain how it was inaccurate.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why you being slimy, SlimySnake.

Debates should be fact checked in real time. It's a GOOD thing that we have the capability to call people out on spewing outright lies instead of letting them sit and fester for an indeterminate period of time.

And your comparison to Jorge Ramos asking Hillary for promises is not the same as fact checking.

In short, you just posted a load of nonsense.
Bringing up Jorge Ramos was not a comparison, it was a point made to show how moderators interjecting themselves in the debates and the interview style of moderating has no place in the debates.

This seems to be your first election if you think debates should be fact checked in real time and what I wrote is nonsense. That's not how they work. Look up a few debates from 2012 and 2008. Look at the criticisms Crowley received for interjecting herself in the debates from both sides.

As for having the capability to call people out, you have Hillary over there for the sole purpose of doing just that. it's HER job to convince americans that the guy is a lying piece of shit. That's what debates are.

That's pretty much entirely incorrect. Debate is a game, requiring rules and strategy. Imagine a baseball game without any officiating crew, just letting the teams play by whatever rules they want, calling foul balls fair, etc.

Source? Is this your definition of the debates? Read what I wrote above. Debates have not been about moderaters fact checking for as long as I can remember.

Bullshit. If a candidate is spewing pure bullshit, it needs to be called out right then and there.

Thats what Hillary is there for! She gets two minutes for each response.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Hillary will talk policy. Donald will point fingers and talk at a 4th grade reading level. They might clash a bit, but Donald doesn't want to get pulled into a policy debate and Hillary doesn't want to come off as being stuffy.

You can only hide so much in a one-on-one debate. At some point Trump will get challenged on specifics or the details of his views. I honestly can't imagine the Obama birth certificate thing not coming up at some point and if it does, and he has a bad explanation, it'll be a hammer blow.

To be fair, if the host interjects every time they find a false fact from Trump, they're going to have a hard time keeping the debate under 4 hours. Instead they should just have a ticker at the bottom running at all times calling it out in text. That would be more efficient.

I might be totally confused about the job of a moderator. But for what ever I thought the very job of a moderator is to make sure that the "rules" that were set out are being followed and that obvious bullshit from one party is being corrected (i.e. candidate A claims sth., candidate B claims sth. else and than the moderator jumps and says that candidate A or B is right/wrong).

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Yeah, that's how I see it happening. People who expect the debate of the century are going to be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom