• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unannounced Platinum Game Coming to E3 (IGN)

Spux666

Banned
Whatever it is, it will be super exciting! But honestly why would it be MGS:R2. With all the Konami shit happening recently I doubt they will be able to make it. Also I know IGN has said "UNANNOUNCED" title, but I'm going to be super skeptical right now and guess that it's Scalebound anyway only because I've seen so many fuck-ups like this around E3 before.

*waiting on secret project presentation*............*turns out to be 3 minutes of game-play from a game we already knew about and saw in another press conference*

robor

For vanquish keep in mind that was Mikami's project and he's no longer at platinum

Yea I know, but I hopefully somebody who worked with him on Vanquish and is still at Platinum could direct the sequel.

I mean COME ON, you can't leave me hanging like that!!!! A sequel needs to happen.

Nibel

Bayonetta 3 for Wii U since the Bayonetta producer/Bayonetta 2 director Hashimoto retweeted that Tweet.

+ it seems like it sold fairly well
+ the date is the same as the Digital Event
+ heck, they downright said they would love to continue to work with Nintendo

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Bayonetta 3 for Wii U since the Bayonetta producer/Bayonetta 2 director Hashimoto retweeted that Tweet.

Where does this come from?

Ushiwaka

If its gonna be anything Bayo related, I guess it will be a 3DS spin off...

Bayonetta will be Platinum's Viewtiful Joe if that happens. 2 games, an anime and a handheld spin off.

I bet it's a Nintendo game, but I doubt it's anything to do with Bayonetta or The Wonderful 101.

Heck, I'd bet more on a (previously) existing Nintendo IP spin-off than either of those.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Speculation from a maniac of course

And the maniac you're probably talking about is...you, right? Lovable and reliable source indeed.

Seriously, it flopped baaadly in Japan (it should've surpassed 360 first week sales, but not by much), but it's doing decently in US when compared to PS3 and 360 SKUs of the first one in US: 157k retail up to March + 7k digital from the first month alone = 164k, while PS3 sold 150k in 18 months, and 360 200k in the same timespan. And, while Bayonetta in US saw price drops happening pretty quickly, just recently Bayonetta 2 has started seeing some retailer promo cuts (from 59.99 to 44.99), and that's not that steep when compared to most of the AAA titles that came out last Holiday. No info at all about European numbers, excpt for 35,000 units sold in France up to December.

Malvingt2

Ok then....

RT is a big deal believe or not.

Ansatz

It could be that we are getting a Platinum character in Smash Bros, but the game itself is not Nintendo related. Didn't the Pt retweets appear shortly after the Smash Bros Direct announcement?

Shaanyboi

Banned
One would have hoped from the internet hype and review mania that it did well even though it was on the WiiU. I know of some posters here who ended up buying a WiiU for it as well.

It didn't do well. I want Bayo 3 as much as the next guy but it would be an amazing leap for Nintendo to go ahead and fund another one.

I know that's a long shot, but what if it's a marvel game? Yusuke Hashimoto, the director of Bayonetta 2, said he would love to make a Spider-Gwen game.

https://twitter.com/PG_y_hashimoto/status/575866526340808704

Come on now.... she hasn't even had a complete arc yet.

ChaosXVI

I don't think it's impossible for Bayonettta 3 to happen. Yeah the game didn't sell great, but as long as Nintendo went in with realistic expectations, I'm sure they were satisfied, and it did bring a LOT of attention to Wii U, and it won GoTY from many outlets.

...But I don't think that's what this game is, it's far too soon for a sequel to be announced. Maybe next year.

MGR2, has to be.

It didn't do well. I want Bayo 3 as much as the next guy but it would be an amazing leap for Nintendo to go ahead and fund another one.

It's a Platinum game, they're never going to sell well despite how great quality they are, but they keep getting work!

Also Bayo 3 would be too early for a well polished Bayo game. I expect something completely new.

This is Hitoshi Yamagami from Nintendo SPD speaking about Bayonetta 2 to IGN last year, and he clearly hints that Nintendo and Platinum have some unfinished business:

CHEOLSMWwAAuT1I.png:large

CHEOLVDXAAAgL9C.png:large

and that was back in October.

Bayonetta only happens again if Sega says "Yes" and someone other than Sega pays for it. And i guess Sega does not care, as long as the $$$ fit.
I'm not saying Nintendo does or doesn't pay for a new Bayonetta game, i just doubt this is anything Bayonetta related ... well spinoff maybe, but no mainline entry.

BouncyFrag

How about V for Vanquish?
You are on a prison space station tasked with planning a 'great escape' via a soccer match between the human prisoners and our robotic overlords, and yes, you play as a future space Rambo voiced by Stallone.

Sephzilla

I think it is. Isn't Nintendo's conference the last conference? It makes sense for IGN to not be able to show stuff from the other conferences until they're all done, since they eat up the time.

Revengeance was my favorite game last generation that didn't have "Souls" in the title, so yeah, I'm just as thirsty for Metal Gear Rising 2 as I am Devil May Cry 5. I'm hoping Platinum shows up at E3 and reconfirms that the "2" from back during that Sony thing was in fact a MGR2 tease

Whatever it is, it will be super exciting! But honestly why would it be MGS:R2. With all the Konami shit happening recently I doubt they will be able to make it. Also I know IGN has said "UNANNOUNCED" title, but I'm going to be super skeptical right now and guess that it's Scalebound anyway only because I've seen so many fuck-ups like this around E3 before.

*waiting on secret project presentation*............*turns out to be 3 minutes of game-play from a game we already knew about and saw in another press conference*

They could have been in development for a while already, to the point where they might as well let Platinum finish the game? Also, Rising is the one fragment of Metal Gear I can actually see surviving and maintaining quality without Kojima

Shauni

I think it would depend on how far along in development the game was. If it was already well into being made before all of this stuff with Kojima happened, then I could easily see them going ahead with it.

And, we shouldn't forget, despite all of this stuff with Kojima and Konami's recent commitment to mobile, they have listed job openings for work on a new MGS game, so it seems like they won't be totally abandoning that franchise post-MGSV.

Jingo

If its gameplay presentation, it cant be a new game, since when does the announcments of new games come straight with gameplay?

NotLiquid

Yeah it's all incredibly conveniently laid out to support that it's a new Nintendo collaboration of some sorts. I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet since it's still very circumstantial but right now the way I see it, it's most likely another Nintendo ordeal.

Remember when The Wonderful 101 (as Project P-100) was announced after Nintendo's E3, on IGN's livestream?

That was so weird.

edit: wait no it was spike/gametrailers/whatever. still weird!

Neoxon

It could be that we are getting a Platinum character in Smash Bros, but the game itself is not Nintendo related. Didn't the Pt retweets appear shortly after the Smash Bros Direct announcement?
There's no way in hell that Wonder Red will ever get in Smash considering how badly his game bombed. At the very least, there's no way Wonder Red will ever get in the game without the help of the ballot. As for Bayonetta, they'd have to censor her greatly, which would be an injustice to her character.

Coda

I feel like it's way too soon to make Bayonetta 3 and as much as I love Bayonetta I hope it's a new IP or MGR 2. I'm guessing this game will be a PS4 exclusive too.

But imagine if they are planning to announce God Hand 2?

Remember when The Wonderful 101 (as Project P-100) was announced after Nintendo's E3, on IGN's livestream?

That was so weird.

Iwata: That's for all now. Thank you for watching! *waves*

fine print: "oh uh btw there's some new Kamiya game for Wii U or some shit, idk looks lame, its on IGN or Gamespot i think"

NotLiquid

Remember when The Wonderful 101 (as Project P-100) was announced after Nintendo's E3 Direct, on IGN's livestream?

That was so weird.

I think it was GameTrailers actually. But yeah that was really dumb that they had that as an exclusive thing when that year's presentation was so scarce and TW101 was easily the most unique new thing they had to show.

I also remember all those reactions people had on the game based on only the first few frames that showed those bad quality shots of the civilians. That stuff is wall of shame inducing looking back at it, especially when people found out it was Kamiya's project, though in all fairness Platinum didn't choose a good shot there to lead into it lol

Top Bottom