• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 FULL E3 Video July 1st!

That was cool. A flashier version of stuff they've done 6 years ago, mind. There's Convoy, with the jumping from vehicles and shooting the tires out and all that. Then it turns into that opening of Urban Warfare, which was building on that "running into the screen" thing from their old Crash Bandicoot. You don't even press forward now since Sam's driving, you just shoot, but it does allow them to pile on more spectacle. Like Urban Warfare, you're never in any real danger of dying since the vehicle always blows up in the exact same spot and not a moment sooner or later, but it sure looks cool.

So yeah, looks legit. Will look even better if the stream wasn't ass. But the real meat of the game won't be in flashy-but-shallow set pieces like this, it'll be in the meat-and-potatoes bits of exploration and combat that's the core of the game. The set pieces are the heightened bombast that flare up every now and again.

jaypah

I will patiently wait for a decent quality clip. Very excited though, the E3 trailer is one of the few game trailers that I've watched multiple times.

Jigolo

The scene when he was under the car was absolutely insane. CGI level graphics here, even if it doesn't compare to modern movies, this stuff is still incredible on console. I can't believe that scene was playable.

Yup like they said; PSX demo showed how much the gameplay has improved, and the more open level design etc, and that E3 demo is the more traditional, mindblowing, action packed set pieces we know and love and expect from Uncharted games, that guess what, have always been linear people!

Don't see why I'm seeing "on rails" being touted as a surprise here, looks like people are clutching at straws; set-piece moments in Uncharted have most of the time if not all the time been linear. If you want to see how much the gameplay has improved, go watch the PSX demo.

Perun

Oh God, get the hell out of here with that shit. There is plenty of gameplay in Uncharted games.

Jesus. Stop overreacting, did I say anything about the previous games or that Uncharted 4 will be nothing but a big cutscene? I've played them, I was talking about what I saw, i.e. the demo. I know there's plenty of fine gameplay in Uncharted, but I don't like when the most valuable thing in video games (interaction) is taken away from me too often for the sake of making me look at things that look cool. I've got Mad Max: Fury Road for it.

This looked fantastic, but I barely saw any challenge presented to the player.

viveks86

I'm not even gonna bother watching this on twitch. If ND knew any better, they would release a HQ version like they have been doing lately. Then Gamersyde will swoop in to save the day.

hawk2025

That was cool. A flashier version of stuff they've done 6 years ago, mind. There's Convoy, with the jumping from vehicles and shooting the tires out and all that. Then it turns into that opening of Urban Warfare, which was building on that "running into the screen" thing from their old Crash Bandicoot. You don't even press forward now since Sam's driving, you just shoot, but it does allow them to pile on more spectacle. Like Urban Warfare, you're never in any real danger of dying, but it sure looks cool.

So yeah, looks legit. Will look even better if the stream wasn't ass. But the real meat of the game won't be in flashy-but-shallow set pieces like this, it'll be in the meat-and-potatoes bits of exploration and combat that's the core of the game. The set pieces are the heightened bombast that flare up every now and again.

Exactly.

Which is why it made sense to first show the game with an uninterrupted 10+ minutes of the actual meat and potatoes (as they themselves said) of the gameplay of the demo, and only show the "setpiece" bits afterwards.

The thing is, to my eyes, *everything* is better and more compelling. Both the more open gameplay parts, the "more linear, but now with other options" vehicle parts, and the full-on, bang-up, 100% linear setpiece explosions in the end.

It seems like an improvement across the board on everything Uncharted does.

LordofPwn

who needs an uncharted movie when the game is like that?

might just have to pick up the uncharted collection to get back into the story.

so good.

now give us a release date.

HeelPower

I have to say,the addition of Nate's Brother is turning out to be more interesting than I thought.

The character interactions at the end are what got me really engaged.Its gonna be a very intense story.

-griffy-

Banned
So basically the second part was a visually stunning but heavily scripted on-rails shooter?

Eh I'm disappointed, the best part of watching that was seeing the different way the first part could be played. The second looked like you weren't in much control at all. Not sure why the media hyped up the second part of the demo, the first was far more interesting to me (outside of the sheer spectacle of course)

This is just an evolution of the stuff they've been doing in the other games. It's taking the core gameplay mechanics they setup singularly and in smaller scale during "regular" gameplay, and put them together in an expertly staged and escalating setpiece sequence. You have third person cover shooter and traversal. You have jeep driving (evolution of the train level from Uncharted 2, and the horse riding from Uncharted 3, where now you are in control and have multiple paths). You add the use of the rope. You climb up the rope and can shoot from the rope. You have traversal from vehicle to vehicle (this is an evolution of the vehicle sequences towards the end of Uncharted 2). You have more jeep driving. All core gameplay mechanics.

Then you jump on the motorcycle and this is really the only part of the entire demo where you have little control, just shooting, but this represents an astronomical evolution of this sequence from Uncharted 2, which took place in one alley and lasted about 30 seconds:
uncharted-2-car-article_image.jpg

Looked incredible to me.

jmaine_ph

Stop overreacting. I've played the games and, regarding the demo, I was judging what I saw. I know there's plenty of fine gameplay in Uncharted, but I don't like when the most valuable thing in video games (interaction) is taken away from me too often for the sake of making me look at things that look cool. I've got Mad Max: Fury Road for it.

This looked fantastic, but I barely saw any challenge presented to the player.
Well they were playing on god mode most likely. Up the difficulty and I'm sure the parts where he's hanging off of the truck from a rope shooting thugs on bikes will be hard.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
It happens. It's impossible for everyone to be impressed. That's the way it is. Obviously the vast majority likes it so it's fine.

And consider that it loses impact when the demo has already been described to you.

Not to mention the stream quality. That was pretty disappointing.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Youtube 1080P is iight but does ND have any plans to release a much higher bitrate footage of the same ending sequence?

Damn that is looking insane. So, so good, how does Naughty Dog do it, amazing talent, they are on a whole other level to most developer's.

When I hear something like, "Meh not impressed." (on twitch).

All I can read is, "Meh I'm super ignorant on how game creation works and I am super out of touch with anything artistic." And the most ignorant people always act the most confident about their opinions.

Exactly.

Which is why it made sense to first show the game with an uninterrupted 10+ minutes of the actual meat and potatoes (as they themselves said) of the gameplay of the demo, and only show the "setpiece" bits afterwards.

The thing is, to my eyes, *everything* is better and more compelling. Both the more open gameplay parts, the "more linear, but now with other options" vehicle parts, and the full-on, bang-up, 100% linear setpiece explosions in the end.

It seems like an improvement across the board on everything Uncharted does.

Oh, I agree. Both the set pieces and the meat-and-potatoes stuff are better than they've ever been. Even if there are just evolutions of things they've done in past games, it IS an evolution. Its all gonna look amazing(I'm sure its really quite impressive at 1080p when you're actually playing it), they improved almost every area of design, although we haven't seen any puzzles yet. I've got no doubt in my mind this will be the best Uncharted yet, building on the past games and especially post-TLOU with Druckmann/Straely at the top. They get it.

Well they were playing on god mode most likely. Up the difficulty and I'm sure the parts where he's hanging off of the truck from a rope shooting thugs on bikes will be hard.
It's also kind of funny to say that it didn't present the player any challenge. YouTube backseat driving much? Did you actually play the game? No, you didn't.

Top Bottom