• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Collection demo up in PS Store Worldwide

Review thread got shut down as people got into arguments about Nathan Draake as a serial killer. Yer reviews have been very positive although some do mention that they have aged a bit in certain aspects. (to be expected)

Edit: Currently 86 metacritic

People got into arguments about...that?

It's a tongue in cheek observation, not something worthy of an argument! Similar to how people routinely call James Bond an awful spy, haha.

Oh well, this does look promising. I'm yet to play Uncharted 3 so I'm more interested in checking that out than any other the previous 2. I tried the demo and it seemed like a well made port, so hopefully everything holds up throughout.

SSReborn

It's a tongue in cheek observation, not something worthy of an argument! Similar to how people routinely call James Bond an awful spy, haha.

Oh well, this does look promising. I'm yet to play Uncharted 3 so I'm more interested in checking that out than any other the previous 2. I tried the demo and it seemed like a well made port, so hopefully everything holds up throughout.
It was that and a paticular review where it got a 7 but the reviewer wasn't a fan of the series going in. I think people took issue with some quotes from the review itself either way yeah not a good look.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

It's a tongue in cheek observation, not something worthy of an argument! Similar to how people routinely call James Bond an awful spy, haha
There are critics that very seriously consider that to be the problem with the series. It's not just toungue in cheek comments, and not just fanboy warrior drivel, but rather people forming elaborate arguments about it. Read Gamespot review if you want an example. I think this criticism mostly misses the point (for the same reason of your James Bond example), but in any case, that's the reason there's discussion going about it.

The gunplay felt sloppy and imprecise, Nate moved skittishly and the platforming was awkward. Running around in a t-shirt sucking up AK-47 fire from the bad guys just felt silly. I really wanted to like it.
I'd recommend watching streams of a crushing play through in the more open environments to get a better idea. Too bad they didn't include a better shooting arena and harder difficulties in the demo. Stiff controls in cinematic set pieces of a six year old game aren't as likely to impress folks who haven't played it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Got it early from a local store. The already have it on shelves. Romania.

Damn, they really didn't give a fuck I guess, you're usually lucky to get a game a few days early, not weeks. Honestly though I'd rather wait and play with the day one patch, plus I still need to finish Mad Max.

RedAssedApe

Banned

This isn't something specific to Uncharted. People go all in on Tomb Raider and other games too.

aka...murder simulators... -_-

Loudninja

I like this
Speaking of friends, Uncharted Collection tracks a number of play statistics, including total kills, kills per weapon, headshots, time played in each game, time idle in each game, speed run times, and much, much more. If you have the option on, the game also checks your friends' gameplay stats and provides a competitive comparison via an in-game notification. Another reviewer and I were in an unspoken headshot competition in each game; I'm proud to say I won in Uncharted and Uncharted 2. At any time, you can jump into the full statistics list and check your friends list leaderboards for each stat
Finally, you can unlock costumes, weapons, and other tweaks to the gameplay by collecting treasure in each game and completing other objectives. That means you can be Drake in various outfits, Elena, Sully, Doughnut Drake, of even the game's villains if you want.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/uncharted-the-nathan-drake-collection-ps4-review

v0mitg0d

Not sure where to put this, but since we're talking about it here...why not.

First, if you're interested in gmeplay from all 3 games, I played bit and pieces of them with fellow GAFers here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVAdRoZmewk

Now let's talk about what the Remasters bring for those who're unaware:

- All 3 games run at 1080P/60hz, no screen tearing.
- Increased texture resolution & geometry detail.
- Improved environmental lighting, character models, shaders, particle effects, draw distance and improved shadows.

I've played through Drake Fortune Remastered (1) & Among Thieves Remastered (2). I'm currently nearing the end of Drake's Deception Remastered (3). If you've never played the Uncharted games, love third person action adventure and own a PS4--get this! It's fantastic. This is how remasters should be done. Technical (1080P/60hz) & quality of life improvements (load times, etc) without changing the base game.

This Drake's Fortune is the most jarring for me. Even Remastered it doesn't look as good as I recall, but it's still a damn fun game to play through. Also, keep in mind it's a first generation PS3 game that was released in 2007!

Among Thieves is fantastic, and as it was back in 2009--it's incredibly impressive ti play right after playing fist game. It's fun, frantic, wonderfully paced, hilarious when it want's to be, and still the best in the series.

Drake's Deception is, of course, the best looking and the most technically impressive. In fact, at times I think it's better looking than some current generation games. Revisiting it now, it's actually more fun and engaging than I remember. It does go on for too long in some cases (hallucination section) but the shooting is also the best in the series.

If you're a returning player like me and have the itch to return to the series--I say go for it. It's a blast to play through all 3 games again and it looks amazing! I do wish they would've included a 30hz option much like The Last of Us had, particularly since Uncharted 4 is going to running at 30hz as well.

Also, there's a day one patch (1.00) to include minor fixes for stability, audio and visual improvements and performance optimization, tweaks to aiming controls and minor bug fixes. For what it's worth, the game never crashed on me once, I never lost progress, or corruption. The only bugs were little animation or minor collision bugs.

Hope this helps! :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Played one long sitting of Drake's Fortune... And I stopped at ch21, so almost done. The game is still so much fun to play, I couldn't put it down. I'm doing normal first, then moving on to Crushing. Thank god they made Crushing available from the start. I've ran into a few glitches (like a grenade arc getting stuck), but nothing bad. Drake's Fortune looks noticeably better, especially the water. People playing through all these for the first time are in for a real treat.

I can't see my trophies yet, but I looked at them during the event and the brutal/speedrun trophies are in a seperate pack, so it's not necessary to beat Brutal for platinum. There are a few speedrun trophies in the main pack, but more in the 'extra' pack. There's an extra trophy pack for every game, and there's a trophy for speedrunning the game as donut Drake in every game.

Had an interview with Arne yesterday, hope to translate it later and put some snippets here. Apparently Brutal is the very toughest difficulty setting their best QA tester could manage. They made one difficulty he couldn't beat, then turned that down a bit, and the difficulty he was able to handle, became Brutal. Supposedly it's 2 hits = dead + very long recovery times. Have yet to try it out, have to beat U1 on Crushing first

Anyway, greets from the island:

jr5hdqU.jpg

btw that day one patch is not available yet... Same with trophies like I mentioned

ghibli99

I really can't wait to play UC1 again. I played it again last year, and yeah, the technical aspects of it (notably the screen tearing) got in the way at times of my enjoyment. I thought 60fps might tarnish the rather cinematic/rough feel of the original in TLOU:R, but after a few minutes, I didn't even notice, and it ended up being a wonderful experience. It's neat how the brain will "adjust" to things like this... sort of like how I'll read e-books with sepia-toned paper, but after a page or two, it just looks white.

Review thread got shut down as people got into arguments about Nathan Draake as a serial killer.
I just... what? :(

MADGAME

PSY・S;180363316 said:
there are preorder skins for a remaster?

Haha, yep. Golden guns too. I remember in UC2 multiplayer, the golden AK's would instantly be dropped by players. The ground was littered with those glaring, shiny weapons.

dralla

I think the demo is kind of bad. The area they chose is weird, I thought they'd start it right at the beginning of Warzone, not half way through. And only being able to play on Normal is a bummer. The game is much more fun on Hard. Obviously this doesn't apply to the final game but I don't think the demo is a great show piece.

I've never played any UC before. (Came from 360) I've played the demo through once. I am really excited about this collection. I think it looks great. I fell in love with TLOUR as well. However I don't feel we can compare these 2 at all. So much more movement and physics in these games it's crazy all the stuff moving and crashing. I will enjoy playing this collection all the way through.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm really looking forward to seeing what 3 looks like in the Remaster. I still think in terms of pure fidelity it trumps TLoU on PS3. I suspect it'll look better than a number of current gen games.

Loudninja

I've never played any UC before. (Came from 360) I've played the demo through once. I am really excited about this collection. I think it looks great. I fell in love with TLOUR as well. However I don't feel we can compare these 2 at all. So much more movement and physics in these games it's crazy all the stuff moving and crashing. I will enjoy playing this collection all the way through.
Dude you have not seen anything at all.

TitusTroy

so the real reason Uncharted 4 was delayed was so that they could release this remaster first??...I'm surprised they're going back to 30fps with Drake's End after letting people experience 60fps with the remaster...seems like a jarring turnaround

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
so the real reason Uncharted 4 was delayed was so that they could release this remaster first??...I'm surprised they're going back to 30fps with Drake's End after letting people experience 60fps with the remaster...seems like a jarring turnaround
No. They wanted to improve end game stuff in 4. I'm guessing so much additional work was done on this remaster because they had more time because 4 got delayed.

TitusTroy

No. They wanted to improve end game stuff in 4. I'm guessing so much additional work was done on this remaster because they had more time because 4 got delayed.

that's the official word coming from Sony/Naughty Dog but this seems like an obvious marketing strategy...the Remastered Collection has a much bigger impact coming out before UC4

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
that's the official word coming from Sony/Naughty Dog but this seems like an obvious marketing strategy...the Remastered Collection has a much bigger impact coming out before UC4
I assume this was supposed to be a summer release. Of course it was coming out before 4.

Fbh

Considering the fact that it's a franchise that got famous in no small part because of having amazing graphics and overall visual spectacle, I don't think it's weird that they once again seem to be aiming to raise the bar for graphics and presenatation in console games, and they are not going to get there aiming for 60fps

Ummm...

I still plan on buying this collection... but that demo was not good. If I wasn't already certain I was going to buy it, that demo might have shifted me from it at all.

Floaty controls, slippery aiming. I'm hoping the game itself is a lot better than that. I like Drake as a character. Wise-cracking sociopath. Still a beautiful demo, but a huge letdown considering how much love this series gets, and not what I expected.

Also there's this weird persistent stutter. Which didn't help with the floaty feel. All in all, I really wasn't impressed.

Loudninja

Wow that looks great.

Only thing I dont agree with.
- Not much in the way of new content (one new difficulty setting, a speed run mode, an explorer mode - aka very easy mode - and a photo mode)
Not to mention news skins,and trophies.

Visually, even with it being such a short demo, it was beautiful.

I really love Naughty Dog's artistic designers. They've got an eye for detail.

3.0 arrived just in time.

Can't wait to go around taking a billion PNG screenshots. Luckily it seems that all the images are less then 5 MB so Imgur doesn't seem to be compressing them, making the upload process quite easy.

At a glance reading the thread I thought the scores were low, like 5's and 6's...one 7 and rest 8 and 9's lol. Hyperbole everywhere. Also expected the hyperbole about gameplay being bad in this franchise...there is nothing wrong with the gameplay in uncharted. UC2 is one of the best playing TPS games in existence.

SSReborn

Oh god the game just clicked again lool I'm so ashamed I forgot how to play guys. :( disregard everything I said prior smh

Piggus

Review thread got shut down as people got into arguments about Nathan Draake as a serial killer.

Jesus fucking Christ. It's like some people can't allow themselves to have fun unless they can't find anything to criticize first.

And that's beside the fact that it's one of the dumbest game-related arguments of all time in the first place.

Oh god the game just clicked again lool I'm so ashamed I forgot how to play guys. :( disregard everything I said prior smh

Yep play a second time and everything comes back it so awesome.

Keep trying the demo it may click for you.
I wonder if newcomers will realize that the game can take some getting used to before posting their initial reactions and writing it off completely. Remember when we all struggled with Crushing until playing the correct way (ie NOT like Gears/your typical TPS)?

Jesus fucking Christ. It's like some people can't allow themselves to have fun unless they can't find anything to criticize first.

And that's beside the fact that it's one of the dumbest game-related arguments of all time in the first place.

Yeah. It's for the best it got locked. I don't even take that rhetoric seriously, just gives me a chuckle, I say "Okay..." and continue to the play the game.

I wonder if newcomers will realize that the game can take some getting used to before posting their initial reactions and writing it off completely. Remember when we all struggled with Crushing until playing the correct way (ie NOT like Gears/your typical TPS)?

YES! Drake is so much more dynamic to control compared to something like Gears and has tons of context sensitive melee and actions so use it!

.Anema

I just finished the demo, and after played all the 3 original games, I'm not gonna buy this remastered edition. The graphics are "ok" and the gameplay feels nice at 60fps, but is not enough, specially for the graphics (I wanted something that blew my mind and this is not the case).
I love Uncharted 2 but I think I'm gonna buy this when it's $10 or less.

I just finished the demo, and after played all the 3 original games, I'm not gonna buy this remastered edition. The graphics are "ok" and the gameplay feels nice at 60fps, but is not enough, specially for the graphics (I wanted something that blew my mind and this is not the case).
I love Uncharted 2 but I think I'm gonna buy this when it's $10 or less.
Think of the other levels. The rain, the thick jungles... the chateau from 3!

Loved the demo, it plays so nicely in 60FPS, totally on board picking this up at launch now. Only thing that annoyed me with the demo is the melee prompts - it kept telling me how to do melee stuff, even when I turned all hints and tutorial prompts off. Any way to turn that stuff off? It killed the flow at certain points in the demo for me.

Really looking forward to playing this simply because of open world fatigue this year. Not to mention, I haven't played through UC2 or 3 in years, and outright haven't played Drakes Fortune full stop.

Shame there isn't a sample of UC3 in the demo though. I actually slightly prefer it to UC2.

Chaplain

This Drake's Fortune is the most jarring for me. Even Remastered it doesn't look as good as I recall, but it's still a damn fun game to play through. Also, keep in mind it's a first generation PS3 game that was released in 2007!

Did they remove Drake's control lag? Uncharted 2 and 3 Drake didn't have any lag.

Top Bottom