• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Collection demo up in PS Store Worldwide

Keep trying the demo it may click for you.
There really isn't anything to "click".

Most of my issues were technical.

Floaty controls, weird persistent stutter. Like it's a dropping a frame every sixty. Similar to how MK8 felt to me. Something I no doubt would learn to ignore.

The mechanics themselves are fairly rudimentary. Hide behind cover, pop out, shoot, move forward, melee, duck into cover, repeat. With the occasional press forward and X for platform.

One of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. Due in no small part to the immaculate art direction.

SSReborn

I wonder if newcomers will realize that the game can take some getting used to before posting their initial reactions and writing it off completely. Remember when we all struggled with Crushing until playing the correct way (ie NOT like Gears/your typical TPS)?
Yeah I got accustomed to playing other tps's and was playing in that style. Not in terms of gameplay because I understand Uncharted (movement based traversal etc. I've killed endless hours on the series) but the actual shooting mechanics themselves. It's crazy how that can happen without you even realizing it.

Conduit

Banned
Some gas bottle mayhem screenshots :

uncharted_thenathandrh7sjr.png

That flashlight ( no, i didn't use any filter at all ) :

uncharted_thenathandrj9s52.png

I just take a shot before explosion ( no, i didn't use any filter here also ) :

uncharted_thenathandrdtsa6.png

Loudninja

Floaty controls, weird persistent stutter. Like it's a dropping a frame every sixty. Similar to how MK8 felt to me. Something I no doubt would learn to ignore.

The mechanics themselves are fairly rudimentary. Hide behind cover, pop out, shoot, move forward, melee, duck into cover, repeat. With the occasional press forward and X for platform.

One of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. Due in no small part to the immaculate art direction.
Ah ok then.

There's so much more to the combat encounters than that oversimplified description. But I won't try to convince you to like it if you didn't enjoy it

wouwie

When i first played the demo, i was a bit down on it but having played it a few times and getting into the groove again, i'm turning around on it. Granted, certain aspects haven't aged that well and i expected a bit more noticable visual tweaks, but i might get it nonetheless.

I feel that ND didn't pick the best part for a demo. It should have contained the part leading up to this, from the start (the jeep chase) of that particular section and onto the hotel. That would given the player more time to accustom to gameplay and provide a better mix of gameplay, including the battle just before the hotel. The collection spans 3 games with more than 30 hours gameplay in total. Surely, 15 minutes more gameplay in the demo should have been possible?

There's so much more to the combat encounters than that oversimplified description. But I won't try to convince you to like it if you didn't enjoy it

That and well, you can really break down the fundamentals of most games like that but it's really how it's all handled that important. I mean what's a racing save pressing gas and break and steering left and right?

Maybe on the higher difficulties there's more to the combat. But what was there for the demo wasn't exactly difficult or challenging in the slightest. Which is why I took issue with the "click" thing. It did from the outset. Aside from Drake feeling like he's constantly slipping on ice, the aiming feeling weird, and that odd stutter.

And not being terrible impressed given the love this series gets is not the same as not enjoying it. I'd enjoy this game just for the dialog alone.

Chao

One of the things I felt were off in the demo was... The difficulty. I am used to play UC games in crushing and playing it on normal felt weird.

Even more taking into account I was playing TLOU on grounded mode before that.

The visuals are really beautiful and the character models are a huge step up. I'm so tempted to buy this now when I had no intentions of doing so. Plus I forgot how fun these games are.

Only thing holding me back is my backlog and I don't want to go into 4 burnt out.

Just beat the demo.

Feels so good just to be playing a linear cover shooter again.

This was my biggest takeaway from the demo. I'm itching for Uncharted 4 like crazy. Almost every game I've been interested in for the last year and almost everything in the future is some kind of huge soul sucking open world experience. My beloved linear, focused, well paced campaigns have become so infrequent.

GeoramA

The controls clicked right away with me. Feels so much better with the DS4 triggers. And of course that smooth 60fps. Pre-order still safe!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Maybe on the higher difficulties there's more to the combat. But what was there for the demo wasn't exactly difficult or challenging in the slightest. Which is why I took issue with the "click" thing. It did from the outset. Aside from Drake feeling like he's constantly slipping on ice, the aiming feeling weird, and that odd stutter.

And not being terrible impressed given the love this series gets is not the same as not enjoying it. I'd enjoy this game just for the dialog alone.
That's the biggest issue with Uncharted's combat design. It's too easy just to sit in cover when the real fun and depth the the combat is all in staying on the move and as a result there's lots of opinion divide on the quality of combat. 4 really seems to be working to keep Drake in motion, which is a huge improvement.

Loudninja

IGN 9.0
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is now eight years old (read our original Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune review), but you'd be hard-pressed to notice here. Though it certainly can't pass as a native PS4 game, remaster developer Bluepoint has upgraded just enough so that Drake's first outing still has those visual "wow" moments, and the doubled frame rate alleviates the original PlayStation 3 version’s slightly sluggish aiming substantially.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09...edium=PS4&utm_content=1&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Revven

Maybe on the higher difficulties there's more to the combat. But what was there for the demo wasn't exactly difficult or challenging in the slightest.

This is because the chapter it's lifted from is still fairly early in the game. Nepal isn't a terribly difficult part of the game (there's only one section that highlights Uncharted's unique style of gameplay and it's just before where the demo starts). Later parts of UC2 do force you to move around and not sit in cover all day (though sitting in cover is viable, just puts you at more risk to dying).

But yes, Normal doesn't really challenge or push the player to move much at all. And that's fine, that's what Normal is supposed to be... until you get near the end of the game where the game does actually test your skills at moving in and out of cover to win or using Nate's movement options in general.

That's the biggest issue with Uncharted's combat design. It's too easy just to sit in cover when the real fun and depth the the combat is all in staying on the move and as a result there's lots of opinion divide on the quality of combat. 4 really seems to be working to keep Drake in motion, which is a huge improvement.

It also doesn't help that most people who experience Uncharted on Normal don't play the game again on any higher difficulties unless they really felt/noticed the gameplay depth it offers. And so you get fairly uneducated complaints about Uncharted's combat design -- the higher difficulties play into its design as much as playing it on Normal does.

Laws00

i loved the games (2 and 3) when they came out.

im not getting the collection

2 was soooooooo god damn good. 3 was good too but not as great as too.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Are there any trophy lists?

90% of the trophies are identical to the original games. There are some for using the photo mode once, but most of the new ones are speedrunning trophies (beat chapter X under this time). Like I said, every game also has a trophy for doing a speedrun as Donut Drake. These, and the Brutal trophies, are in a seperate pack. So getting a platinum is just as easy as it was in the original games. That being said, all the 'get 50 kills with X weapon' trophies are back, at least in Drake's Fortune. Looking at the complete trophy lists isn't possible yet, I only get the pop-ups.

NewDust

90% of the trophies are identical to the original games. There are some for using the photo mode once, but most of the new ones are speedrunning trophies (beat chapter X under this time). Like I said, every game also has a trophy for doing a speedrun as Donut Drake. These, and the Brutal trophies, are in a seperate pack. So getting a platinum is just as easy as it was in the original games. That being said, all the 'get 50 kills with X weapon' trophies are back, at least in Drake's Fortune. Looking at the complete trophy lists isn't possible yet, I only get the pop-ups.

If you play the game on a new account but do not register it you should be able to view the full lists.

zsynqx

so the real reason Uncharted 4 was delayed was so that they could release this remaster first??...I'm surprised they're going back to 30fps with Drake's End after letting people experience 60fps with the remaster...seems like a jarring turnaround

I really doubt that would be the reason. Sounds like thaey just needed a few extra months to ship the game they wanted it to be.

EpicBox

Removal of 3D support should immediately count as a negative point in any review, especially as visual enhancement is the main point of a remaster.

I mean, for those who don't care it's not an issue. I never cared for the multiplayer. But the 3D in Drake's Deception was truly awesome and it's a downgrade for it to have been removed.

Let's not forget that most of the reason people find VR so immersive is because of the 3D effect.

You know I've tried to get into the uncharted games but I just can't, for some reason it doesn't appeal to me.

It's cool to see how much work they put into the game though, this is definitely a top notch port and remaster.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Removal of 3D support should immediately count as a negative point in any review, especially as visual enhancement is the main point of a remaster.

I mean, for those who don't care it's not an issue. I never cared for the multiplayer. But the 3D in Drake's Deception was truly awesome and it's a downgrade for it to have been removed.

Let's not forget that most of the reason people find VR so immersive is because of the 3D effect.

it shouldn't if the person doesn't care about 3d or doesn't have the capability to use it (forget what the requirement for 3d was)

Dominator

I just finished the demo, and after played all the 3 original games, I'm not gonna buy this remastered edition. The graphics are "ok" and the gameplay feels nice at 60fps, but is not enough, specially for the graphics (I wanted something that blew my mind and this is not the case).
I love Uncharted 2 but I think I'm gonna buy this when it's $10 or less.
I don't know what you expected..? It's a remaster, not a remake from the ground up on PS4.

It looks better, runs better, gameplay is tweaked a little for the better.

NateDrake

Was hoping to review this collection, but didn't get review code from Sony. The demo confirmed that UC2 is still great. UC: DF is my main interest as it has been years since I last played that game.

Glad there was a demo for this because I was probably going to buy it.
Demo convinced me that my PS3 copies of the first 3 games are sufficient. Sorry Nate.

I remember once I started playing Uncharted correctly, I started realizing how wasteful I was with the environments in previous playthroughs.

Thinking of all of the nooks, multi-tiers, alternate cover spots, weapon stashes and flanking positions ignored while I stayed behind cover desperately taking down the flanking enemies one by one in as sterile a manner as I had most other games.

I can't wait to record and share Uncharted shootouts and post them whenever I read "bad gunplay" comments.

I played with the motion blur option a little. I think I like it better turned off. Any input on this setting I'm not really sure what it's does or doesn't do to performance. But with it turned off u seem to like it more when everything is going crazy

I'm still really disappointed that they did not include at least ONE MP title in this. At least they could've put UC3 with all the DLC maps and modes in this. UC4 beta lasting barely one week and it comes out two months after launch is not enough imo. UC4 is too far away.

I didn't realize how much trouble I'd have adjusting to L2/R2 shooting. My muscle memory is trying to do things the old way. I know there's an option to switch, but R2 shooting is better anyway, so I'll just have to stick with it.

Mister Wolf

I enjoyed 3 in 3d as well. Its my favorite 3d game on the consoles with Arkham City taking 2nd and GOW 3 taking 3rd.

I enjoyed 3 in 3d as well. Its my favorite 3d game on the consoles with Arkham City taking 2nd and GOW 3 taking 3rd.
Gears of War? Because I don't think God of War 3 was 3D and if it was/is, I need to replay it stat!

Assassin's Creed 3 can look pretty cool in 3D as well, especially through the wilderness.

Mister Wolf

Gears of War? Because I don't think God of War 3 was 3D and if it was/is, I need to replay it stat!

Assassin's Creed 3 can look pretty cool in 3D as well, especially through the wilderness.

Yeah I meant Gears although I did play the two psp god of wars in 3d as part of the ps3 collection. Some people don't care for 3d but for me its like looking through a window into a living world.

Top Bottom