• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn - Review Thread

Skux

Pleasantly surprised. These are way better scores than I expected for a choose-your-own-adventure with minimal gameplay.

Awesome, I've decided to buy this on day one and then trade it once I've finished it. I shouldn't lose much on it and it seems pretty fun.

I'm also getting Gears collection and Metal Gear though so it is an expensive week..

If this ends up at 80 is it the surprise of year?

giphy.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I've been pimping this game a while now, got retweeted by supermassive at e3 after tweeting that I expect it to blow people away and it has been unfairly treated by sony. This game is something I've wanted for years being a massive horror fan.

border

Edge doesn't seem like the sort of magazine that would give particularly great scores to a game like this. I imagine it's a 6 or 7 on their broader scale, unless they are super-impressed with how the narrative branching works.

If Metacritic is right, they gave Heavy Rain a 7 and Beyond a 5 or 6.

odhiex

I thought I would see a lot of 5 or 6 scores for this one, pleasantly surprise with this so far.

Oh man, I wish I could get another ps4 machine by next year :(

About the Polygon review:

I feel like his major gripe with the no checkpoint system and the consequences that result from it has merit; but, at the same time, I also feel like it's complaining about something that works as intended and is a good design decision. If you fail a critical button prompt and a character dies because of it, doesn't that make the scene feel more thrilling and future button prompts more heart pounding?

Plus, this game isn't setup like a normal game. You know people are going to die. You know this is a game that's meant to be replayed for different outcomes.

So I feel like the criticism is logically valid but is very shallow and fundamentally wrong. It's like complaining that a character in Game of Thrones dies five seasons in...

UberTag

Doesn't sound like there are that many shooting scenes though
There isn't. It's barely reflex driven at all.
They throw a blatant crosshairs up on the screen whenever you have the opportunity to shoot/melee at something and it's just a matter of aiming at it and deciding whether to pull the trigger.

I am surprised they didn't try to make this be a summer release because it sure is getting buried in my mind. I can't even think about buying another game with mgs5 coming soon. I'll probably get it on sale next year.

Is too bad that this game is getting barely any push from Sony. I guess blowing their wad being on the wrong horse earlier this year with The Order was unfortunate.

Excited this game got such good reviews. I was cautiously optimistic after getting third degree burns with The Order. Looks like I'm preordering for that extra chapter.

The game has tv ads and many trailers.

Really? Awesome then. Only trailers I have seen are the YouTube PlayStation Blog trailers and nothing on TV. Guess I'm watching the wrong channels. Hopefully this is a resounding success.

Loudninja

Is too bad that this game is getting barely any push from Sony. I guess blowing their wad being on the wrong horse earlier this year with The Order was unfortunate.

Excited this game got such good reviews. I was cautiously optimistic after getting third degree burns with The Order. Looks like I'm preordering for that extra chapter.
The game has tv ads and many trailers.

FelipeMGM

I love the fact that websites like RPGFan and PCGames Germany made reviews of this game. Is like if IGN was still named N64.com till this day

UberTag

September is going to be one expensive month
Heck this week is atypically bad in its own right. Seemingly a rock solid Madden release, Lisa The Joyful, Until Dawn, Gears Ultimate, Steins; Gate, Dishonored DE, Mega Man Legacy Collection... like what the hell? Even Calvino Noir looks mighty sweet.

A lot of Best Buys are having a Midnight Opening for Madden tonight, they told me I could come pick up Until Dawn tonight at midnight if I wanted...

So swing by your Best Buy if you want the game tonight...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also I don't know why anyone who was following the game is surprised by these scores. Most every impression piece on the game is positive, including user impressions.

But since it's been advertised as a slasher-movie-in-game-form, I guess many associate that with being bad, but it hasn't quite been tackled in games and the game does tackle it in surprising intelligent ways, and also confidence in what it's trying to do with some excellent execution in places.

Top Bottom