• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn - Review Thread

ViciousDS

Banned
well GAF....I bit the bullet and had to buy it....really liking what I'm reading, even the negatives just make me want this more for some odd reason. I'm a sucker for Quantic Dream type games....I loved Beyond and Heavy Rain

wyHWof6.jpg

Troy

Banned
Has there been any word on the framerate?

30 locked? Variable 60? Just curious. If it's variable, would be nice to have a locked 30 option.

Can't lock a framerate at 30 when it has drops into the 20s. Reviewers have said it sometimes gets up to 60, and sometimes gets down to around 20.

higemaru

Based on everything I'm hearing about the game, it's looking to be one of the first titles I pick up whenever I buy a PS4. Sounds like what I wanted Heavy Rain to be like. Hope it sells well so I can pick it up on sale but I'd probably bite the bullet and just pay full price if I had to.

Pleasantly surprised this game is getting such great review scores. Also intigued that it's got a lengthy campaign with replay value. Concerned that 8-9 hours might be too long for a game like this? Scary, tense, choices left and right, could get overbearing.

Pleasantly surprised this game is getting such great review scores. Also intigued that it's got a lengthy campaign with replay value. Concerned that 8-9 hours might be too long for a game like this? Scary, tense, choices left and right, could get overbearing.
No, it has episodic chapters, which is great.

UberTag

I actually felt the exploration sequences got a mite tedious. Especially with the lengthy solo exploration sequences in Chapters 5, 7, 9 and 10. I honestly would have preferred a slightly shorter game (we have additional DLC on its way tonight that will make it even longer) with less time focused on exploration, 1-2 hours less padding (while still keeping all of the Butterfly Effect decisions intact) and maybe a little bit more focus on delivering a wholly satisfying ending.

gamerMan

Definte "all over the place". If you mean there are a number of reviews in the 7 to 10 range then yes. You are correct.

Well the standard deviation is 10 and the variance is 109, indicating high variance. Most people are either going to like this game or hate this game. I'm going to love it.

Next couple of weeks are so fucking solid. Until Dawn. The Phantom Pain. Mad Max.

Goddamn. I'm chucking Evil Within and The Order: 1886 to the trade bin and I'm getting Until Dawn.

Alo0oy

Banned
I actually felt the exploration sequences got a mite tedious. Especially with the lengthy solo exploration sequences in Chapters 5, 7, 9 and 10. I honestly would have preferred a slightly shorter game (we have additional DLC on its way tonight that will make it even longer) with less time focused on exploration, 1-2 hours less padding (while still keeping all of the Butterfly Effect decisions intact) and maybe a little bit more focus on delivering a wholly satisfying ending.

Yeah, I think those types of games should stop pandering to the "lol playable movie, not a game" crowd with pointless stuff like this, those type of games will never appeal to them even if you add filler gameplay.

I haven't played Until Dawn, but I hope it doesn't try to pander to them that much, the crowd for interactive choose your own adventure games will be there, so focusing on that would be best instead of cramming in pointless gameplay sequences.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Fuck it, I was going to wait but I caved. Need to play this after these reviews and opinions from people I trust.

T.O.P

Banned
The Eurogamer.it review confirms that, at least on the disk version, the english voice-over is present (and that the italian dub is pretty bad, both for the acting and for the mixing)

Good stuff, i still have nightmare of that one time i bought Wolfenstein and it only had the italian dub lol

Can someone sum up some of the common complaints? I read the IGN review and what really put me off about it is the story being different/not as good over the second half (edit: I guess the word they used was "silly", whatever that means). Is that a complaint other reviews have brought up?

Just as a suggestion I also think those things should be in the OP of any review thread. What are the things many are praising? What's being criticized? How long is the game? Things like that.

The silliness is referring to the reveals, which I was disappointed in as well because they weren't original. It didn't affect my overall opinion of the game and it could be argued that it's intentional given the genre it's mimicking, but having said all of that I still would have preferred some originality there.

LUXURY

Huh. Honestly would have never guessed this game would have turned out pretty well considering everything its gone through.

Game has absolutely no buzz. $60 price point was such a death knell for the game. I'm interested in checking it out though.

Why would a sixty dose price tag scare people away? It's a full length title.

Love seeing the positive the reviews for this as I was hopeful it would be good. It's funny to see some of the reviews pulling the "Interactive Movie" card as a negative. This has been known for a while now and has been marketed as such. It's not like The Order where it was shown/marketed as an action game then was more like an interactive movie.

I also feel like this is going to be the perfect spouse/sig other game and a Twitch powerhouse. I can already see the chat making the choices and being very interactive.

I am getting this through Gamefly so I should have it before the end of the week!

JJD

Damn...I'm buying this game to go directly to the backlog. Don't have time to play it right now but I wan't to show support.

Sagroth

My spouse loves watching me play horror games, so given the surprisingly positive reviews, this is pretty much a lock for me.

Ape

Banned
I've been looking forward to this game for a long time. Might pick up a ps4 with the target discount for this.

Top Bottom