• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn - Review Thread

graywolf323

so the preorder bonus will be available for purchase separately right? I need to try it from Redbox to be sure if it's really for me or not since I'm not really a fan of scary stuff but I'd hate to miss out on a bonus chapter if I end up enjoying it :-/

edit: oops, meant to post this in the OT

Sitris

Happy to see it getting positive review from the critics. Something both relieving and satisfying about having a game you have been optimistic about get received positively. Already planning the party weekend with all my mates, should be a good time for all!

I kinda expected this might happen. Reviews seem to fall into two categories: those written by people who thought it was great and aren't afraid to say so, and those from people who thought it was great, but then crawled up their ass over dumb worries about "what defines a game" or nebulous concerns about "value". That's the problem with game criticism in a nutshell.

hm, so it didn't bomb (not like say, the order) so I wonder how it will sell.

I doubt the scores will matter much in terms of sales. Sony has just not advertised this game well. I bet most people you ask will have not heard of the game. It's a shame, as the reviews have shown it is a good game. Hopefully with the generally positive reviews, Sony will start some sort of ad campaign, at least in North America (I saw an ad from England on YouTube).

Jachaos

With games being 80$ in Canada now I'll wait on this a bit but I am interested in picking it up sometime, hopefully around Halloween. Otherwise I'll rent it for a weekend.

Not sure I follow exactly. Are you saying those two sites are the only ones left to post scores or something else?

They're implying they will give bad scores, but that's not necessarily true. Giant Bomb gave very low scores to Driveclub and The Order: 1886, but it's not like they were exactly outliers in that regard (despite me loving both games). Could they rate it low? Sure. Will they? We'll have to wait and see. I can see Alex Navarro really liking it. In fact, tomorrow Giant Bomb is doing their Quick Look of the game. I really hope Giant Bomb East (which includes Navarro) are the ones doing it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I really hate how

#1, Metacritic has become the 'barometer' for everything in regards to quality

#2, the mental conditioning that has brought us to the point where anything below 80 is basically shit and not worth playing

robotrock

Banned
They're implying they will give bad scores, but that's not necessarily true. Giant Bomb gave very low scores to Driveclub and The Order: 1886, but it's not like they were exactly outliers in that regard (despite me loving both games). Could they rate it low? Sure. Will they? We'll have to wait and see. I can see Alex Navarro really liking it. In fact, tomorrow Giant Bomb is doing their Quick Look of the game. I really hope Giant Bomb East (which includes Navarro) are the ones doing it.

They've probably got Patrick on it. Expecting a quick look solo tomorrow. I'm sure he'll give it a positive score though.

I really hate how

#2, the mental conditioning that has brought us to the point where anything below 80 is basically shit and not worth playing

I only hate it in the sense that it may affect sales of games, and sometimes the developers deserve better. I have no problem with people missing out on games they might like just because of a number on the internet.

But it is quite sad. A lot of the great movies of past had a mixed reception critically and have gone on to be considered some of the best of all time (ie. Blade Runner). Same goes for games too. But it is what it is. I only hope one day all sites eliminate the numerical rating

I really hate how

I find Metacritic fine. What I find troubling is when a publisher uses a Metacritic score to determine if a developer deserves a bonus. Bethesda did this with Obisdian and Fallout: New Vegas. They needed an 85 to get the bonus. The Metacritic score was 84. So, no bonus.

Posted this in the OT, but gonna post it in here too. I feel like people should know

FYI, I played a section outside with Matt and Emily which I am pretty sure is the DLC. I did not have to download anything extra to my PS4, before I started the game I went to the webstore and hit download and it just said "Playable" but nothing ever actually downloaded on my system. So it has to be on the disc.

This further confirms what UberTag said, it was pretty much just blatantly cut from the game as a pre-order bonus. I mean, it's basically inconsequential as nothing much happens and it's not very long, but it's still kind of a shitty move on (I presume Sony's) part.

I find Metacritic fine. What I find troubling is when a publisher uses a Metacritic score to determine if a developer deserves a bonus. Bethesda did this with Obisdian and Fallout: New Vegas. They needed an 85 to get the bonus. The Metacritic score was 84. So, no bonus.
Yeah why not go by a sales target?

Until Dawn is everything that Quantic Dream games have tried to be – unsuccessfully – for the past decade. It emulates horror movies while demonstrating a clear understanding of what makes those movies work, its focus on consequence is nervewracking and intricate, and its story is silly but strongly delivered. It’s the best David Cage game not made by David Cage, and it’s the best interactive horror flick you’ll play.

Welp, Jimquisition just sold me on the game.

I know Twitter feeds are often personalized, but right now Until Dawn is the top trend on Twitter (at least, for me). Even more so than Metal Gear Solid V.

Welp, Jimquisition just sold me on the game.

Yup. The reviews so far have pretty much ran the same course of many of the games I like:

Kotaku: Yes, Jim a positive review with a fun quip, and Polygon giving it an arbitrary number while simultaneously talking about how good and bad the game is with no real cohesion.

stryke

I don't know that. I just know Bungie and Activison signed on to a 10+ year contract, which doesn't seem like it's the norm?

I am assuming.

Well I'm not talking about the contract as a whole. I'm talking about how bonuses are negotiated. Having bonuses tied to two different parameters seems pretty reasonable and logical to me, as they probably serve as a backup.

"Your game wasn't reviewed well but you sold a lot, here's some more money".

"Your game didn't sell that well but critics loved it and enriched our library, here's some more money".

nib95

Banned
Solid reviews overall. Expected opinions to be more polarising given the kind of game it is. Dammit, so tempted to pick it up.

Aspiring

I want this game sooooooo bad but I also have MGS pre ordered and figure they has more 'game', though I want this more. I can only get one this month and it saddens me.

Well done on the awesome reviews though. In the next few weeks when I get some spare funds this game will be mine.

robotrock

Banned
I want this game sooooooo bad but I also have MGS pre ordered and figure they has more 'game', though I want this more. I can only get one this month and it saddens me.

Well done on the awesome reviews though. In the next few weeks when I get some spare funds this game will be mine.

buy until dawn this month

buy metal gear next month

PROBLEM SORTED

Amir0x

Banned
I'm surprised to see this review so well. But so did Heavy Rain, and that was a disaster.

Still, might be a good game to play with my girlfriend. Seems the type of game you want an audience for. I'm really on the edge on whether I should buy this, can't decide... HMMM

Aspiring

buy until dawn this month

buy metal gear next month

PROBLEM SORTED

Oh trust me I have thought of that. I just don't know. I really didn't like ground zeroes either. I am really unsure. I have a day or so to decide. Hopefully a few gaf impressions and I might, as this game is more for me than MGS.

nib95

Banned
I'm surprised to see this review so well. But so did Heavy Rain, and that was a disaster.

Still, might be a good game to play with my girlfriend. Seems the type of game you want an audience for. I'm really on the edge on whether I should buy this, can't decide... HMMM

I feel like this will be an easier sell to many, in the sense that it's not trying to take itself too seriously the way Heavy Rain was. Instead Until Dawn appears to be carefully designed to intentionally cover popular horror movie tropes, follies and cliches.

Amir0x

Banned
I feel like this will be an easier sell to many, in the sense that it's not trying to take itself too seriously the way Heavy Rain was. Instead Until Dawn appears to be carefully designed to intentionally cover popular horror movie tropes, follies and cliches.

That is precisely why I'm interested. This game seems far more self-aware than Heavy Rain ever was, so you can just enjoy the cheese and silliness and not be obligated to try to piece together the story in a way that makes much sense. It's a horror movie game based on horror movie cliches, and it's supposed to be a bit silly.

Top Bottom