• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (~200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2017 Edition ||

redcrayon

So how many of you are defecting to/purchasing Switch next week?
Not for a few months yet. I've got a few lengthy Vita/3DS games to play first and avoid buying anything at launch with the various missing patches and features that get added later on. I'd rather pick one up in the Autumn when the range of games is better, a bundle is available, the VC is working and their plans for online a bit more visible.

1. It isn't sold in Turkey (the last of Nintendo we saw here officially is the OG 3DS)

2. A high school student doesn't have the 300$^ needed to buy it.

3. Few games on it interest me and I am not really *hyped* for any. (e: Let's see... BOTW looks beautiful even though Zelda or open world stuff isn't for me, Super Mario Odyssey looks fun, Project Octopath looks decent enough, I would play MK8, would give Skyrim on it a try depending on price, would double dip for Binding of Isaac... SMT is too far out... drawing a blank for the rest.)

4. Dumb-ass gimmicks all around.

Takao

Banned

The battery life is poor. So is the software lineup. The OS is half finished. I'm uneasy about smallish portable(ish for Switch) devices with fans. In Canada, the price they're asking is too much for the product offered.

Nintendo handhelds always get revisions that address earlier issues. Why would anyone who knows better buy day-1?

Powwa

Lol, and I just received an email from Media Markt that they have cancelled my preorder (even though I ordered on 16th January and was charged). They said they won't have enough stock. This is Media Markt in Netherlands btw.

Yeah, saw them tweeting about it. Certainly seems real. On the one hand I'd rather wait for LRG but this'll be cheaper and I won't have to worry about missing it...

Yeah, region free and no DLC did it for me. I don't care about cross-buy since I don't have a PS4 and I own the PC version, so digital isn't all that appealing.

I'm getting one, definitely not "defecting" though. It'll supplement my 3DS backlog and Vita back+frontlog nicely, and hopefully Japanese developers will follow the example of Disgaea 5 for games that are not technically feasible to hit Vita.

I expect VN support on Vita to continue for quite a while in Japan as it did for PSP, though. If Switch gets VNs I'll be surprised because those developers have typically not been on Nintendo platforms, but you won't see me complaining.

Tohsaka

I was going to, but I canceled my pre-order and am going to just play Zelda on Wii U. It's the only game I want on the system until Mario is out, so I'll just buy one then since there will probably be a Black Friday deal or something.

I'll be getting two on day one since my boyfriend got hyped for it as well.
Not gonna abandon my other systems at all, but I'm excited for it. I completely skipped the Wii U so there are a number of games and remasters coming soon that I'm interested in and I'm getting them super cheap due to Best Buy deals anyway. :)

mollipen

2017 has way too much going on for the Vita to think about defecting anytime soon.

I definitely am interested in the Switch, since it's been what I've wanted from Nintendo for a while now (as someone who loves their handhelds but usually can't stand their consoles). There's still too much unknown/up in the air about it though.

Switch is something I consider picking up in 2018, not this year. It needs time to find its footing and get a proper library of game's first.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
Xseed just posted this interview

What are the main challenges of bringing Japanese games to the Western market?

I would say cultural issues as they pertain to text are still a major challenge, though to varying degrees for each project. As a recent example, our parent company Marvelous put out a game called NetHigh for Vita in Japan not too long ago where the gameplay focused on solving puzzles a la the Ace Attorney games, but instead of solving cases in a courtroom you’re trying to reveal the true identity of people on the internet. Our hopes of being able to localize it were quickly dashed once we realized that most of the puzzles were based on Japanese puns and wordplay using written kanji characters which often have multiple meanings. Seeing that it also had a lot of text displaying from top to bottom rather than our way of reading from left to right sealed its fate of definitely not coming to the West.

we can
cry
rest easy now

Only if LRG does what they did with Skullgirls and have a preorder run in addition to whatever limited release they want. Tired of never getting titles because of the ridiculous small print.

Wouldn't count on it, they're not likely to do that.

Also, Skullgirls was supposed to be released in January. Sooner or later, if this carries on, they will probably start to get flack for the delay.

Same goes for The Silver Case, which took longer than expected. People will grow increasingly impatient, driving LRG further away from that approach.

Shizuka

It's not like Falcom or Marvelous is ever making another Vita game anyway.

It's not like XSEED is localizing another game from Falcom that's not Legend of Heroes.

Edit:

As many fans of A Clockwork Ley-Line know there's a console release of the series in Japan.

We're currently in the early stages of talks on bringing it over to western shores.

However we want to be as clear as we can, it is not guaranteed that we can bring this to the West.

We want to make sure our team is 100% focused on QAing our current titles in production for console before we start bringing over new titles. We hope to be able to bring you good news in the future!

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ley-line-a-visual-novel-trilogy/posts/1814041

As by console, they mean Vita, since that's the only platform other than PC where the game was released in Japan.

Well, at least they answered on that one I suppose. And they've justified Net High in the past.

Now we just need answers about Luminous Arc Infinity; Tokyo Xanadu; Valkyrie Drive etc., lol.

Also, iirc, Kenka Bancho uses text that scrolls top to bottom rather than left to right, but Atlus managed to localize a game in that series, so...

18-Volt

we can
cry
rest easy now

They said this before. I believe they canned Bakumatsu Rock localization because of vertical text too. It's not a valid excuse imho, Atlus ask developers to change vertical text boxes to horizontal ones all the time.

The whole "Japanese puns" is also a lame excuse. Ace Attorney series are no different, full of inside jokes and puns. Localization team is trying very hard to create brand new humor in their places and they do awesome job every time. Shu Takumi still does not care though.

They said this before. I believe they canned Bakumatsu Rock localization because of vertical text too. It's not a valid excuse imho, Atlus ask developers to change vertical text boxes to horizontal ones all the time.

The whole "Japanese puns" is also a lame excuse. Ace Attorney series are no different, full of inside jokes and puns. Localization team is trying very hard to create brand new humor in their places and they do awesome job every time. Shu Takumi still does not care though.

Our only hope is based PQube.
Honestly I'd trust the Steins;Gate translators they have in their pocket more than anyone else when it comes to pun and meme localization...

Wouldn't count on it, they're not likely to do that.

Also, Skullgirls was supposed to be released in January. Sooner or later, if this carries on, they will probably start to get flack for the delay.

Same goes for The Silver Case, which took longer than expected. People will grow increasingly impatient, driving LRG further away from that approach.

Fair enough. I just would like to actually get a physical copy, preferably a LE with an art book. I appreciate what LRG does, but considering the only games I could get from them are Skullgirls (because of the pre order) and One Way Heroics on Black Friday (and that was me having to stay up late), I really want those Experience games...

Well, at least they answered on that one I suppose. And they've justified Net High in the past.

Now we just need answers about Luminous Arc Infinity; Tokyo Xanadu; Valkyrie Drive etc., lol.

Also, iirc, Kenka Bancho uses text that scrolls top to bottom rather than left to right, but Atlus managed to localize a game in that series, so...

I mean Danganronpa trials (? its been a bit) have floating text that comes in from various areas and is translated. It feels like BS because they are done. Like how Arc released 1469 on Steam rather than on Vita (also, this is confirmed never for Vita or is a maybe?)

*sigh* I wish Luminous would get ported. Xanadu is with someone else though right? I mean I know I preordered the LE of it (sorry all, I went PS4 for the extra content).

Takao

Banned
kresnik, i dunno if that firepro game is gonna be vita
on one hand, we still don't know what this was
on the other hand, if pqube is involved there's that comment they made about vita not being able to handle action games (could be edf or senran kagura related tho)
but on one foot, the petition that spike chunsoft endorsed specifically listed vita
on the other foot, japanese game publishers haven't exactly gotten the right message across when it comes to vita related petitions

So, Valkyrie Drive Translator's weighed on the whole Net High thing

3jf77wm.png

https://curiouscat.me/ReadingSteiner

kresnik, i dunno if that firepro game is gonna be vita
on one hand, we still don't know what this was
on the other hand, if pqube is involved there's that comment they made about vita not being able to handle action games (could be edf or senran kagura related tho)
but on one foot, the petition that spike chunsoft endorsed specifically listed vita
on the other foot, japanese game publishers haven't exactly gotten the right message across when it comes to vita related petitions

Lol. Funnily enough, the first thing I thought when this teaser came out was "I wonder where that Spike Chunsoft teaser from last year is". I mean, was it supposed to be related to DanganRonpa V3's new direction? Has it still not been shown off yet? I don't get it.

I think a new Fire Pro game has a decent chance of being on Vita, though I really do wonder what that PQube teaser was for and if it's related.

Saphirax

Lol. Funnily enough, the first thing I thought when this teaser came out was "I wonder where that Spike Chunsoft teaser from last year is". I mean, was it supposed to be related to DanganRonpa V3's new direction? Has it still not been shown off yet? I don't get it.

I think a new Fire Pro game has a decent chance of being on Vita, though I really do wonder what that PQube teaser was for and if it's related.

It was clearly for Kenka Bancho Otome. What else would you need John Cena for?

:p

Ventara

Uh, how do I preorder from Play-Asia? I add Ys Origin to my cart and try to checkout, but when I select my address, it sends me back to my cart with this:

"Your cart contains at least one pre order. Orders will only be sent once all items are available."

18-Volt

It's definitely gonna be on a handheld, either Vita or Switch. Or 3DS. The game will be in 2D, no way Japanese gamers would pay 7000 yen for a 2D home console game.

I think it'll be for PS4, Vita, Switch and Steam.

There's a $5 discount code (BLUECODE). Can use it as many times as you want. Not sure when it expires.

I'm trying to preorder Ys Origin myself but having trouble at checkout, though.

Which payment method are you using??? I preordered it a couple of minutes ago (with credit card) and (apparently) didn't have any problems.

Ventara

Which payment method are you using??? I preordered it a couple of minutes ago (with credit card) and (apparently) didn't have any problems.

I can't get to the part with the payment method. After I click checkout, the first thing it asks you to confirm is your address, and when I do, it just kicks me back to my cart with that message. But I was planning to use Paypal.

Edit: Oh you just made your order? Guess it's on my end. Will try on Chrome.

Edit 2: Everything went fine on Chrome. Must've been a cache problem as I had the browser with Play-Asia opened for a while, before Ys Origin went up.

Jimrpg

There's a $5 discount code (BLUECODE). Can use it as many times as you want. Not sure when it expires.

I'm trying to preorder Ys Origin myself but having trouble at checkout, though.

Oh I see. I saw someone mention that before but wasn't sure what that was about.

Think I'm going to have to pick this up $25 is a fair day 1 price and from the Ys Origin OT it seems like a decent game.

Any tips for Soul Sacrifice Delta? I have 50 hours in the game but I feel that I'm missing something fundamental as every battle takes me more than 10 minutes at this point and I feel I'm doing no damage at all. Went for most of the game with an evasive spell, a healing spell, and 4 different attacks. Then I looked around and decided that that build was all over the place, tried to build around 1-2 attack spells, but that failed too.
Am I missing a key strategy about this game?

Top Bottom