• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGleaks: Orbis Unveiled! [Updated]

Drek

I honestly don't think MS is dumb enough to go with DDR3, even at 8gigs, without having something to rectify the bottleneck issue. They know that type of ram is too slow for next-gen memory and what the system is supposed to do. It just doesn't make sense why they wouldn't go with faster memory unless they really do have something to buff the speed.

I mean they have been working with developers since the beginning, and the number one request has always been "ram. Lots of it and fast", not "ram. Lots of it and slow enough so it's useless, please".

There's something brewing, my gut tells me so.

1. DDR3 2133 mhz is only "slow" when compared to something like GDDR5. Its a massive upgrade over the 360, PS3, and even a nice bump over the DDR3 1600 mhz in the Wii U. Add the 32MB ESRam and you can see why MS might feel like they've got a solid solution already put together. They can't just go back to the drawing board now that it's clear Sony is doing with GDDR5, they've been planning on DDR3 from a pricing angle and need the quantity for the OS features.

2. I'm sure they have a good bit of customization going on in the box, but then so does Sony. The question is if MS' hardware ninjas can out-duel Sony's hardware ninjas, letting a weaker system on paper perform comparably in real world output. That's a tall order, Sony's engineers are very good. They have a track record of being unnecessarily cute and convoluted in their approach, but so far it looks like the PS4 is avoiding that. A straight forward hardware design with Sony's pedigree of engineering is very exciting.

How big is SSM btw?
Good god, that'd be hard to answer.

They help so many smaller devs and are basically the umbrella of technical guidance to all of Sony's exclusive PSN games. Hell, that last role alone led them to hire Seth Killian away form Capcom specifically to help guide those games (title is "lead designer of external development"). They're now readily pursuing ex-Vigil members. It's crazy how rapidly they've grown with God of War as the only consistent, established IP they turn out.

I'd imagine they have more than enough staff to work on a new PS4 IP while still providing a high level of technical guidance to PS4 partners.

I also can't see evolution doing wipeout. Did sony close team liverpool?
They did, but there have been suggestions that a lot of Liverpool staff stuck around with Evolution after the closure. Also, there were rumors at the time of closure that Liverpool was already working on WipEout for PS4.

I could definitely see it happen. WipEout has become a Playstation staple and is a perfect fit for the digital distro model.

Loudninja

1. DDR3 2133 mhz is only "slow" when compared to something like GDDR5. Its a massive upgrade over the 360, PS3, and even a nice bump over the DDR3 1600 mhz in the Wii U. Add the 32MB ESRam and you can see why MS might feel like they've got a solid solution already put together. They can't just go back to the drawing board now that it's clear Sony is doing with GDDR5, they've been planning on DDR3 from a pricing angle and need the quantity for the OS features.

2. I'm sure they have a good bit of customization going on in the box, but then so does Sony. The question is if MS' hardware ninjas can out-duel Sony's hardware ninjas, letting a weaker system on paper perform comparably in real world output. That's a tall order, Sony's engineers are very good. They have a track record of being unnecessarily cute and convoluted in their approach, but so far it looks like the PS4 is avoiding that. A straight forward hardware design with Sony's pedigree of engineering is very exciting.

Good god, that'd be hard to answer.

They help so many smaller devs and are basically the umbrella of technical guidance to all of Sony's exclusive PSN games. Hell, that last role alone led them to hire Seth Killian away form Capcom specifically to help guide those games (title is "lead designer of external development"). They're now readily pursuing ex-Vigil members. It's crazy how rapidly they've grown with God of War as the only consistent, established IP they turn out.

I'd imagine they have more than enough staff to work on a new PS4 IP while still providing a high level of technical guidance to PS4 partners.

They did, but there have been suggestions that a lot of Liverpool staff stuck around with Evolution after the closure. Also, there were rumors at the time of closure that Liverpool was already working on WipEout for PS4.

I could definitely see it happen. WipEout has become a Playstation staple and is a perfect fit for the digital distro model.
Yeah they must be huge, they help out quite alot on top of making their own games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No.

Considering most people put their camera right on top of a center speaker or right below their TV, so all the people on the other end hear is the sound of the damn game coming through their headsets.

Either that or they're blasting other music. Mute All is the best thing ever when playing with randoms. I only leave people unmuted when playing with GAF.

onQ123

No.

Considering most people put their camera right on top of a center speaker or right below their TV, so all the people on the other end hear is the sound of the damn game coming through their headsets.

because some people don't have the good sense don't change the fact that the PS-Eye mic is better than a cheap mic that could be packed in with the console.

TrutaS

The power of this console means nothing when we don't know it's price. Sony should know better than to release the most expensive console yet again. With that said, I want my Sony exclusives to look the best technology can provide (just not for 600€ please).

I honestly don't think MS is dumb enough to go with DDR3, even at 8gigs, without having something to rectify the bottleneck issue.

Well the esram and move engines are supposed to help. So it will have better performance that just a plain bank of DDR3.

Durango is like that because they can't put 8GB of high performance GDDR5 into a console and still be affordable. They didn't want to drop to 4GB because they want to offer more services besides gaming. So they chose 8GB of lower performance ddr3 ram with esram as the way to go.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The power of this console means nothing when we don't know it's price. Sony should know better than to release the most expensive console yet again. With that said, I want my Sony exclusives to look the best technology can provide (just not for 600€ please).

No way this'll launch anymore than $450, and even that is on the high end. Blu-ray drives are affordable now and no cell. The RAM is probably the most expensive part.

Game informer did report that Mark Cerny's helping out with the design of the Ps4(Architecture and features I guess?)

I think we'll get two great machines coming next gen. Let's just hope it's not a pain to deal with for programmers.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Let's save the word "unveiled!" for when there's photos of the console / controller.

Kaiken

Banned
Cannot stress enough SONY,

PLEASE DONT FORGET TO INCLUDE FREE MICS WITH EVERY CONSOLE PURCHASE!!

Please don't. I like not having a ton of immature kids that receive this as a gift from their parents and act like internet tough guys. My friends have mics or will buy them.

joeblow

You forget about inflation?

Here are launch prices for the most successful consoles, adjusted for inflation:

4th gen: Super Nintendo - $351.33
5th gen: PlayStation - $464.77
6th gen: PlayStation 2 - $400
7th gen: Wii - $284.71

Don't forget about the first generation!

1st gen: Atari 2600 - $754 (launched at $199)

Please be a 'significantly evolved' dualshock controller... as in evolved into a 360 controller, otherwise I'm going to have suffer the long wait for a decent third-party controller that fills the role so I can game comfortably.

+1

And good luck on waiting for that 3rd party controller. It still hasn't arrived for the PS3.

:(

ypo

I wonder how much can the ESRAM help out this time. EDRAM on old systems gave a lot of advantages because it was much much faster than the conventional RAM. In this case it's actually slower than DDR5 plus games will still need to access the DDR3 often. What's the deal?

They're now readily pursuing ex-Vigil members. It's crazy how rapidly they've grown with God of War as the only consistent, established IP they turn out.

Wow, I didn't know they were going after ex-Vigil people, is that really true? Also I really do hope Wipeout lives on in future Playstation consoles.

No thanks, last thing I need is to get called a fag by more 11 year olds on another platform.

Yeah I really don't want them to package a headset in every console ... One of the reasons I prefer PSN over XBL is that there are far less chipmunk voiced pre-pubescents yelling racist and or homophobic things at me. It's also one of the reasons why I don't play shooters much anymore, especially not online.

Respawn

Banned
I really doubt there would be "noticeable" difference between the 2 machines. I would imagine it to be very much like this gen.

I know your trying to be neutral but Sony's proprietary games blow others away. The latest is God of War ascension which is insane and baffling the things there doing on that 7 year old hardware. Of course it's going to be very noticeable. It was this gen and it will be in the next so Im not sure what your saying. You didn't say 3rd party so if you meant that then be sure to put that in your post.

No way this'll launch anymore than $450, and even that is on the high end. Blu-ray drives are affordable now and no cell. The RAM is probably the most expensive part.

I would think it would still be the GPU. RSX was always more expensive than Cell. It was between $100-$120 according to iSuppli when PS3 launched back in 2006(They always listed Cell about $30-35 less than RSX). RSX was the 2nd most expensive item next the the $200+ bluray drive. Cell was super expensive to Sony from an R&D standpoint.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah I really don't want them to package a headset in every console ... One of the reasons I prefer PSN over XBL is that there are far less chipmunk voiced pre-pubescents yelling racist and or homophobic things at me. It's also one of the reasons why I don't play shooters much anymore, especially not online.

This is exactly why party chat exists. Talk with a group of your friends and enjoy the game.

The headset thing is going to happen. It's 2013.

Raoh

Cannot stress enough SONY,

PLEASE DONT FORGET TO INCLUDE FREE MICS WITH EVERY CONSOLE PURCHASE!!

Meh...

If they do I don't want any of that wired crap, bluetooth is the way to go. And if the controller has an audio jack I hope its 3.5mm so I can use my already owned headphones not that crap ms uses with 2.5mm.

But more important than mics. Can't we make all online games push to talk? God I hate open mic.

hehe I know

It's a pipedream. :p

They are amazing though, everyone should get one.

I totally agree with this statement! I got the Pulse Elite headset at best buy at 50% off and they are totally worth it, even at full price i would say. Waaayy better than sony's other headset.

OT: All these specs...can't wait for next gen....or even a proper unveiling...

Jack_AG

Banned
This is exactly why party chat exists. Talk with a group of your friends and enjoy the game.

The headset thing is going to happen. It's 2013.
Its one of the reasons I use my Mumble server instead of PSN. Organizing groups for games becomes easier, voice quality is a zillion times better, latency is non-existent and no kids throwing out racial slurs hiding behind the internet. I just keep a spare headset plugged in, mic off and volume off so I dont hear anyone over my surround :)

Prologue

I don't think someone could come up with a worse idea for a modern system.

Party chat being allowed during online play pretty much killed the atmosphere of live. Everyone is in a chat now instead of actually using the game chat function to communicate with the team. Everyone was a lot more talkative during XBOX 1 days as well as the pre update days on the 360.

Derrick01

Banned
Party chat being allowed during online play pretty much killed the atmosphere of live. Everyone is in a chat now instead of actually using the game chat function to communicate with the team. Everyone was a lot more talkative during XBOX 1 days as well as the pre update days on the 360.

What will the world do without the wonderful atmosphere of racists and stoners? If everyone's talking with people they actually enjoy being around then the atmosphere is enhanced with no chance of some asshole ruining it. Well...verbally at least.

Jack_AG

Banned
No. 13 year olds being allowed to speak killed it. Shit talking is one thing - but the stuff i've heard and i'm sure everyone has is the real culprit.

Listen to some white kid throw around racial slurs with a mic that never shuts off due to blaring music and a baby crying with no "mute" function -or- chat with your like-minded friends and plan tactics?

Hmmmm.. that IS a tough choice!

Please. The people with a mic killed, not party functionality.

Top Bottom