• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGleaks: Orbis Unveiled! [Updated]

This is exactly why party chat exists. Talk with a group of your friends and enjoy the game.

The headset thing is going to happen. It's 2013.

Ironically party chat has been one of my number one wishes for the PSN. If they finally add it and it's on the free PSN and not PS+, I dunno why anyone would pay for XBL anymore aside from their friends preferring that still or something. I just always prefer free online gaming, that's all~

Prologue

What will the world do without the wonderful atmosphere of racists and stoners? If everyone's talking with people they actually enjoy being around then the atmosphere is enhanced with no chance of some asshole ruining it. Well...verbally at least.

Mute them? I must have had some luck because I rarely muted anyone since I got the first Xbox. I understand if you want to use the chat function on the dash board or during single player but during online matches? I guess it really is a gray area. I see the benefits of your reasoning, its just that LIVE is significant quieter now. Most of the people that are on my friends list are strangers I met before the update. I enjoy playing with friends but I always did enjoy working with a group of strangers for a common goal during those competitive games.

Party chat being allowed during online play pretty much killed the atmosphere of live. Everyone is in a chat now instead of actually using the game chat function to communicate with the team. Everyone was a lot more talkative during XBOX 1 days as well as the pre update days on the 360.

I was there and I have never experienced any worthwhile voice chat between randoms. Plenty of separate groups of friends talking over each other, shit talking, harassment and racist bullshit. I can't remember any kind of friendly chatter or strategic conversations. That's why everyone jumped on the chance to go into separate party chats with friends.

FrankT

I was there and I have never experienced any worthwhile voice chat between randoms. Plenty of separate groups of friends talking over each other, shit talking, harassment and racist bullshit. I can't remember any kind of friendly chatter or strategic conversations. That's why everyone jumped on the chance to go into separate party chats with friends.

Oh there was plenty in Rainbow Six of good friendly convo.

Scratch that. I meant Ghost Recon.

Jack_AG

Banned
Mute them? I must have had some luck because I rarely muted anyone since I got the first Xbox. I understand if you want to use the chat function on the dash board or during single player but during online matches? I guess it really is a gray area. I see the benefits of your reasoning, its just that LIVE is significant quieter now. Most of the people that are on my friends list are strangers I met before the update. I enjoy playing with friends but I always did enjoy working with a group of strangers for a common goal during those competitive games.
Mute is a per-game basis, bro.

Meh...

If they do I don't want any of that wired crap, bluetooth is the way to go. And if the controller has an audio jack I hope its 3.5mm so I can use my already owned headphones not that crap ms uses with 2.5mm.

But more important than mics. Can't we make all online games push to talk? God I hate open mic.

Push to talk is tedious, why not just have the automatic default option of listening to your friends and the option to choose whoelse you can listen in on?

Are people so afraid of eleven year olds? Just t-bag them everytime you kill them and they'll cry to their mothers and go into a nervous breakdown.

Valnen

Push to talk is tedious, why not just have the automatic default option of listening to your friends and the option to choose whoelse you can listen in on?

Are people so afraid of eleven year olds? Just t-bag them everytime you kill them and they'll cry to their mothers and go into a nervous breakdown.

Push to talk would work fine if they design the controller around it.

Jack_AG

Banned
Party chat needs to be off during online play. Don't like it? Call your fucking friends.
So listening to a 10 year old call me a ****er while music blares in the background while a baby screams due to their dog eating it ... should be forced?

No. No no no. No. No. I think co-op is great on chat but a large majority of audio coming out of my headset is some d-bag with his voice pitched super high talking non-relevant trash blaring music while their next of kin mutants act like animals in the background.

You dont have to use party chat so don't force a bad time on me, bro.

Valnen

Party chat needs to be off during online play

There is no good reason for that restriction. All it does is place an unnecessary handicap on the software. If people don't have party chat they'll just use Skype. That's what I use since it's way better than the current console's chat systems.

whitehawk

Banned
Good LORD. I hope you don't work in a position of creative authority.
I know that would never happen, but I know I'm not alone when I saw the early days of XBox live were some of the best because people were talking in games. Now everyone is in a party and it's a ghost town. I would at least like playlists in online games that require a microphone, and party chat is banned.

Arkam

Unveil at GDC with a blowout and release date at E3.

As much as I would love to get my hands on at GDC I dont think we will get that lucky. Plus sony has about the same floor space as last year and they didnt have much on the floor then, just maybe a dozen Vitas.

Though I hope I am Wrong ;)

"Wah, but I want to talk to my Internet bros instead of contribute to team tactics in the game I'm playing!"

As other ppl already pointed out, it runs counter to having chat in the game.

Derrick01

Banned
This sentiment is profoundly stupid.

It really, really is. Forcing people to have to listen to the assholes who make up the majority of these online communities is a great way to encourage people to never play your games online at all. Party chat is the best thing 360 did this generation by far and I wish PS3 had more RAM to pull it off. Thankfully it'll be over next gen.

rdrr gnr

Aren't using Skype this time?
No. I still use Skype on a regular basis. But not all my PSN friends are on Skype -- nor would I necessarily want to share my Skype details. Sometimes there is a convenience to party -- as not everyone has a laptop next to them. And, of course, if you have a laptop headset -- you are losing out on some of the game sound.

I mute everybody, all the time, in every game because human beings are fundamentally disgusting to me - but even I think they should include a microphone.

rdrr gnr

Yeah I never understood the hostility behind party chat.. if people use it to cheat then they should get banned, or the game should have the ability to block cross game chat - games do that on XBL right?
Yup. There were game modes in CoD (ones with spectator modes after death) where Party Chat was disabled.
I know that would never happen, but I know I'm not alone when I saw the early days of XBox live were some of the best because people were talking in games. Now everyone is in a party and it's a ghost town. I would at least like playlists in online games that require a microphone, and party chat is banned.
I don't disagree. I haven't paid for Live in quite a while -- but having party chat is a trade-off. However, you could easily invite a random player from your team to your chat for the duration of the round. If you like him -- add him. If you don't -- kick him. There have been numerous times where it was just me and a friend in chat -- either I'd send a FR or receive an FR and respond accordingly. You could easily leave your party -- yell in game -- then return to your party.

"Wah, but I want to talk to my Internet bros instead of contribute to team tactics in the game I'm playing!"

Nah, there is much more team tactical talk happening in the party chat then there ever was in the public game chat. I would love to be part of these great online multiplayer communities where randoms come together and organize and talk strategy over voice chat but I've never run into that. Never. Just opening your mouth to say just about anything to the group made you a target for harassment. It just wasn't worth it.

Jack_AG

Banned

I've never ONCE played a pug where the entire group focused and worked together in any game. Nobody does the right thing anyhow. There's a reason myself and my 1 BF buddy are top of the list every game and win best squad even against squads of 4.

We do what we're supposed to while everyone else plays for themselves.

You want to group up? Form a complete group of friends. Some of us just play with 1 or 2 peeps and want our own space.

Seriously. Every game i'm in has some douche with blaring music or a crying child. Dont ruin my experience for the ILLUSION of teamwork. Call me jaded since i've been online gaming when you had to use dial-up - i've read enough chat text and heard enough VOIP to learn 90% of everyone turns into "SHITCOCK" when they have the assumed anonymity of the internet and a microphone.

Derrick01

Banned
Nah, there is much more team tactical talk happening in the party chat then there ever was in the public game chat. I would love to be part of these great online multiplayer communities where randoms come together and organize and talk strategy over voice chat but I've never run into that. Never. Just opening your mouth to say just about anything to the group made you a target for harassment. It just wasn't worth it.

Yeah really. Where were these mythical people who just work together randomly? Once me and 4-6 of my friends branched off we were actually able to communicate with each other without shouting over some 12 year old white kid acting like he grew up in Compton and our performance in games skyrocketed. Party chat saved Xbox Live.

Jack_AG

Banned
Nah. november as after e3 would make too much sense
You dont think they will announce until November? That's the release window i'm looking at. I say GDC for some videos/unveiling and E3 for the official hands-on blowout and release date announced.

rdrr gnr

Yup. My friends and I are discussing scholarly interpretations of T.S. Eliot's Wasteland while playing Rush. Oh, no, wait -- that's right -- WE AREN'T. What you'll hear in my party chat is salty, salty language and plenty of strategy. I care that my friends live -- not x420xkushx -- or other randoms on my side. And how many people actually listen to some douchebag yelling out orders in-game? I mute people like that. You are making the same stupid argument that people make about xgame chat ruining SP games: "Uh, why would you want your friends talking over cutscenes and games like Journey?" Oh, uh, I didn't know xgame chat was mandatory. Just don't be in a party if that's an experience you don't want. Here are the arguments against an optional feature people want:
there are none.

Edit: Exactly, Jack.

I've never ONCE played a pug where the entire group focused and worked together in any game. Nobody does the right thing anyhow. There's a reason myself and my 1 BF buddy are top of the list every game and win best squad even against squads of 4.

We do what we're supposed to while everyone else plays for themselves.

You want to group up? Form a complete group of friends. Some of us just play with 1 or 2 peeps and want our own space.

Seriously. Every game i'm in has some douche with blaring music or a crying child. Dont ruin my experience for the ILLUSION of teamwork. Call me jaded since i've been online gaming when you had to use dial-up - i've read enough chat text and heard enough VOIP to learn 90% of everyone turns into "SHITCOCK" when they have the assumed anonymity of the internet and a microphone.

Probably down to the platforms you play on or the games you play.
There's quite a few games with audiences that do work together.

Natural selection 2 for example has a lot of talkative people and shitloads of teamworks (need people to report in what they scout, the commander giving orders to coordinate people , people to coordinate their attacks/share their intentions).
Played that game for 110 hours since release and the amount of douchebags I've seen is exactly four.

There are some good communities out there even today when most kids are little shits raised by the internet and tv instead of their parents.

Since this ps4 seems less complex than the ps3. Chances of a worldwide release more likely?

US and Japan maybe, but Europe will still get it later.

Natural selection 2 for example has a lot of talkative people and shitloads of teamworks (need people to report in what they scout, the commander giving orders to coordinate people , people to coordinate their attacks/share their intentions).
Played that game for 110 hours since release and the amount of douchebags I've seen is exactly four.

There are some good communities out there even today when most kids are little shits raised by the internet and tv instead of their parents.

Yeah on the PS2 Socoms having a mic was as essential the the experience as having a controller, but team work has really gone down the shitter for most games since CoD4.

Chivalry has a good community for the most part but not a lot of voice chat. Text chat is civil most of the time. GGs, Lols and apologies for accidental friendly fire. Smaller games that target niches have better communities. Mega AAA mass market titles on the other hand bring in a lot of shitheads.

Lets see if i can figure this out gaf

Wii - Michelle Tanner
360 - Stephanie Tanner
PS3 - DJ
WiiU - next door neighbor kimberly
720 - Danny Tanner
PS4 - Joey/ Uncle Jesse/ Jesse and the Rippers

amirite??????

I usually don't like these comparisons, but this one is great. I loved that show. Jesse was my favorite, and it looks like PS4 will also be.

Jack_AG

Banned
Yup. My friends and I are discussing scholarly interpretations of T.S. Eliot's Wasteland while playing Rush. Oh, no, wait -- that's right -- WE AREN'T. What you'll hear in my party chat is salty, salty language and plenty of strategy. I care that my friends live -- not x420xkushx -- or other randoms on my side. And how many people actually listen to some douchebag yelling out orders in-game? I mute people like that. You are making the same stupid argument that people make about xgame chat ruining SP games: "Uh, why would you want your friends talking over cutscenes and games like Journey?" Oh, uh, I didn't know xgame chat was mandatory. Just don't be in a party if that's an experience you want.
+

After playing all these years on PC with Vent/TS/Mumble - first thing is hop on and start yapping - see what everyone else is playing. Sometimes I would just BS with buds while farming in an RPG and when I want alone time in an SP game... (incoming shocker) I just didn't hop on.

People saying no to party chat have no clue and are probably the ones screaming obscenities and alienating themselves.

Kids ruined VOIP, not party chat. Believe me if everyone worked together in chat - that's where i'd be - but "what the fucking fuckety fuckfwat (blaring music)" isnt something I care for.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
miladesn said:
Game usually archive their data in large files instead of thousands of separate files, some might even use compression for archiving
Games have been using LZW/ZLIB compression derivatives for disk-data since the PS1. It's been pretty much standard from PS2 generation (and basically free, from processing perspective).
So no, it won't mean reduced sizes, or improved load/download times because it's already used - pretty much everywhere. It will offload some CPU overhead, and possibly programmer/testing overhead in initial implementations.

i-Lo

So what are the chances of Sony adding just one more 4Gbit(512MB) GDDR5 chip on top of 4GB that will be consumed by OS leaving the full 4GB at developer's disposal? Or, what are the chances of the OS having two states with a footprint smaller than 512 (say 256)MB during gameplay leaving 3.75GB at developer's disposal?

Games have been using LZW/ZLIB compression derivatives for disk-data since the PS1. It's been pretty much standard from PS2 generation (and basically free, from processing perspective).
So no, it won't mean reduced sizes, or improved load/download times because it's already used - pretty much everywhere. It will offload some CPU overhead, and possibly programmer/testing overhead in initial implementations.

Was it PS3? And then why is it a highlight feature in PS4?

rdrr gnr

So what are the chances of Sony adding just one more 4Gbit(512MB) GDDR5 chip on top of 4GB that will be consumed by OS leaving the full 4GB at developer's disposal? Or, what are the chances of the OS having two states with a footprint smaller than 512 (say 256)MB during gameplay leaving 3.75GB at developer's disposal?
Latter is more feasible than the former.

Vinci

Danish
They might be the most loyal fanbase but they're not the biggest market, the US is. If someone has to get fucked over it won't be Japan and it won't be the US, Europe just gets left out in the cold.

Though they won't do this, it would probably be advisable to leave Japan for last rather than Europe. Japan seems rather antagonistic towards consoles lately.

Top Bottom