• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGleaks: Orbis Unveiled! [Updated]

Raoh

Push to talk is tedious, why not just have the automatic default option of listening to your friends and the option to choose whoelse you can listen in on?

Are people so afraid of eleven year olds? Just t-bag them every time you kill them and they'll cry to their mothers and go into a nervous breakdown.

Not all my real life friends are gamers or into the games I want to play. If I jump on an online game and get into a squad, the only discussion needed to be had is the objective and enemies you've spotted.

Be considerate folks. I love my sony bluetooth mic because I can mute myself. Its as close to a proper push to talk as I can get. No one needs to hear me or my music either.

And with that, I leave you all with this....

http://youtu.be/QmQtSeDnMUw

So has anything fundamentally changed today about our perspectives on the system?

It's still a 1.84 TF GPU, only difference is that the "special sauce" for Orbis is included in this figure, by a pretty hefty 4CU GPGPU, which should offload certain dedicated tasks more efficiently and free up the remaining 14CU's for graphical functions only.

In a way, it's a lot like what is speculated for Durango. Trying to maximize efficiency for the GPU.

I suppose if Durango has a special CU chip with similar GFLOPS, it could bring its performance more in line with Orbis, but I haven't seen any rumors that indicate any huge dedicated blocks like that, but I guess it could already be included in the 1.2TF figure (just like it's already included in the 1.84 TF figure for Orbis).

Have there been any developers thoughts on the news today? Good? Bad? Topic is already massive so it's hard to search through it for the thoughtful replies :)

A little disappointed that this makes it somewhat less likely that CELL is integrated on the chip though :/

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
thuway said:
I was told one machine would be Gamecube the other would be Xbox by a certain developer.
So one machine will run rendering 3 times faster then the other? Free 60fps multiplatform versions ahoy!

The comparison would be more apt if CPUs weren't equivalent (although maybe OS reserved resources make up that difference).

i-Lo said:
Was it PS3? And then why is it a highlight feature in PS4?
It's been used on pretty much every optical-drive machine because it nets faster load-times. Noone in their right mind would ship games without on-disk compression.
But I doubt it's a highlight feature anywhere - we're talking internet-rumor boards highlighting stuff, not manufacturers.

Reiko

Banned
So one machine will run rendering 3 times faster then the other? Free 60fps multiplatform versions ahoy!

The comparison would be more apt if CPUs weren't equivalent (although maybe OS reserved resources make up that difference).

If you thought the Xbox could run Resident Evil 4 in 60fps with all those Gamecube graphical effects intact... Then I have a boat to sell you.

Nizz

Wow, exciting times! I come home and get on GAF to see that Orbis has been pretty much unveiled. I'm not too much of a hardware tech guy but the specs are impressive, no?

And Sony needs to release this year...

Raoh

Peripherals:

Evolved Dualshock controller
Dual Camera
Move controller

tumblr_m9dl288jox1rsgoqro2_400.gif

Make it happen sony

So has anything fundamentally changed today about our perspectives on the system?

It's still a 1.84 TF GPU, only difference is that the "special sauce" for Orbis is included in this figure, by a pretty hefty 4CU GPGPU, which should offload certain dedicated tasks more efficiently and free up the remaining 14CU's for graphical functions only.

Some guys at B3D are now thinking it could be a straight up 18 CU, with an extra ALU on 4 of those 18 CUs. And that's the "special sauce".

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So what are the chances of Sony adding just one more 4Gbit(512MB) GDDR5 chip on top of 4GB that will be consumed by OS leaving the full 4GB at developer's disposal? Or, what are the chances of the OS having two states with a footprint smaller than 512 (say 256)MB during gameplay leaving 3.75GB at developer's disposal?

I'm thinking the 3.75Gb number may happen if they go the lite OS route. That'd still be double the Vita's OS and using GDDR5 so it opens a lot of possibilities for the OS, even in lite mode. Honestly OS footprints are the most likely things to change that'll effect performance at this point.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Some guys at B3D are now thinking it could be a straight up 18 CU, with an extra ALU on 4 of those 18 CUs. And that's the "special sauce".

That contradicts the info we have here. I wouldn't bank on it, especially since we've been hearing 18CUs for a long time and the cards that this GPU is based on typically have 20CUs.

McHuj

link?

Wouldn't that extra ALU on 4 of the 18 CU's increase the TF specs beyond 1.84?

I don't believe so. You're either executing a SIMD instruction or a scalar.

All CU's currently have 1 scalar ALU. It's not not a factor in the raw flops computation. Modifying it or adding another wouldn't change the math.

Zee-Row

Banned
If anything is to be learned from the Wii U launch, its to launch with one SKU. People don't want the turd pack , its just gonna sit in stores.

A lot of those numbers are over my head, but I have built my own PC's several times before so I have a basic understanding of what's a low, mid, or high end part. If we were just going to throw a CPU and GPU together to be the PC equivalent of this. What would this be if anyone cares to entertain me?

Vinci

Danish
Sony and MS should really aim for one SKU this time around. Even if they're losing a bit of money early on, the simplicity of production would bring down costs faster than having to handle alternative builds.

That contradicts the info we have here. I wouldn't bank on it, especially since we've been hearing 18CUs for a long time and the cards that this GPU is based on typically have 20CUs.

That doesn't change. It's still an 18 CU APU. It's just the nature of the secret sauce that some are questioning. I don't know either way or have a strong opinion about it. I just though it was interesting and should be mentioned.

Apparently, if that were the case, it would match up with sweetvar ? posts late last year. He was the guy who the Sony ninjas went after.

nib95

Banned
If Sony release this later in Europe, by a similar time frame as PS3, they can kiss my ass. I'll buy Durango and wait till the PS4 drops in price. We (well, Europe) are Sony's most loyal fan base, far as I'm concerned they should release it first here if anything lol.

Cannot stress enough SONY,

PLEASE DONT FORGET TO INCLUDE FREE MICS WITH EVERY CONSOLE PURCHASE!!

Not unless there is a way to universally mute everyone. Worst thing about this gen is cross game chat and im sure PS4 will have it. If you are not playing the same game I am, I don't want to hear you. Even if you are playing the same game I might not want to hear you.

NBtoaster

If Sony release this later in Europe, by a similar time frame as PS3, they can kiss my ass. I'll buy Durango and wait till the PS4 drops in price. We (well, Europe) are Sony's most loyal fan base, far as I'm concerned they should release it first here if anything lol.

A four month gap would be completely unacceptable these days, especially to their kindest market.

i-Lo

I'm thinking the 3.75Gb number may happen if they go the lite OS route. That'd still be double the Vita's OS and using GDDR5 so it opens a lot of possibilities for the OS, even in lite mode. Honestly OS footprints are the most likely things to change that'll effect performance at this point.

Yes, let us hope that comes to fruition. However, I would like to make a correction for future reference because every megabyte matters.

In case of 512MB consumption:

(4 X 1024) - 512 = 3584MB not 3.5GB

In case of 256MB consumption:

(4 x 1024) - 256 = 3840MB not 3.75GB

lol, yeah it's my PC from 10 years ago!

Quit trolling. This is getting massively annoying.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I'm expecting US/EU this fall, Japan early 2014. It makes sense to take advantage of the Christmas sales boost in their strongest territories since Japan doesn't really celebrate it and doesn't care much about consoles anymore.

Vinci

Danish

Like I said previously, I think Sony needs to move on from tradition and launch the thing in the U.S. and Europe first. Go after Japan later. That country just doesn't seem to care about consoles these days.

Pretty interesting convo. So the 4 CU's have an extra SIMD? That's the theory proposed anyway. What do GAF'ers techies have to say about this?

Yeah, it is an interesting theory.

I wonder what implications the extra SIMD would have?

Seems that extra SIMD could be used for compute, or it could give a minor boost to the CU it's associated with for rendering.

mattp

Yes, let us hope that comes to fruition. However, I would like to make a correction for future reference because every megabyte matters.

what

J-Rzez

I can't wait for the trailers personally. How many PS3 premium cars can Kaz render at once this time?

As far as hardware specs go, what are we thinking here in term of "ducks"? Above ground pool? Hot tub? One of the Great Lakes?

Sony would be dumb to not put in a cheap headset in the box like MS did. Who is really afraid of 11 year olds calling them racial terms and xX420HannYoloXx rapping into the mic? Mute them, trash them worse, or TK them until they leave if they bother you that much.

Not happy if "Move" is in the box though. That's a cost that could have been applied to useful hardware instead.

iceatcs

Well 3.5GB is 3584MB. Anyway even VGleaks status it as estimate too (Maybe more or less than 3.5GB).

Not unless there is a way to universally mute everyone. Worst thing about this gen is cross game chat and im sure PS4 will have it. If you are not playing the same game I am, I don't want to hear you. Even if you are playing the same game I might not want to hear you.

If you don't want to talk to anyone or hear anyone why would you put on a mic or join a chat?

Top Bottom