• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

webm |OT| Welcome to the world of superior gifs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schrade

The original is 14MB, how is this 600k?

[url ]http://zippy.gfycat.com/DangerousGrotesqueCur.webm[/url]

It's possible because VP8/VP9 (and h.264) are video codecs.

GIFs are sequences of images. Video codecs provide far, FAR better compression.

The only revolution here is that people made some awesome video embedding scripts and extensions.

It's like people have never seen h.264 encoded videos before. They can be absolutely tiny.

red731

So yeah guys, don't use WebP in tags...
It is nice that it loads like an gif, but you can't stop it - you can choose what you want to play with webm via scripts..

akaoni

Banned
WebM for NeoGAF Firefox Addon 0.4

Now with working options! Hurray!
untitledfnsrh.png

You can choose the width and whether it should autoplay, loop or play muted.

From the other thread if it hasn't been posted here.

So why does the FF plug in autoplays webms now? How do I change it? Just playing the WIFs in this page brings my CPU to 100%
edit: wait I found the script, but
Code:
'Auto Play': {
        'label': 'Auto Play',
        'type': 'checkbox',
        'default': 'false'

Uh.

edit: the addon you posted a few posts before this autoplays them too, even if it's disabled

jediyoshi

So why does the FF plug in autoplays webms now? How do I change it? Just playing the WIFs in this page brings my CPU to 100%
edit: wait I found the script, but
Code:
'Auto Play': {
        'label': 'Auto Play',
        'type': 'checkbox',
        'default': 'false'

Uh

If you're using the firefox extension, just go to your extensions page and check the options.

4rG7cj2.png

Beaulieu

So is there any good offline converter that will take any .avi as an input and that wont produce shit quality ?

Im using WebM for retards, the one in the OP isnt working at all for me and I dont fuck with adobe.

( I know I know, lotsov restrictions )

3phemeral

I'm sorry, but that's impossible.

It's possible because VP8/VP9 (and h.264) are video codecs.

GIFs are sequences of images. Video codecs provide far, FAR better compression.

The only revolution here is that people made some awesome video embedding scripts and extensions.

It's like people have never seen h.264 encoded videos before. They can be absolutely tiny.

Not much background movement, characters don't take up a majority of the shot, so a lot of the image barely has to move

basically the way video decoders lie to your eyes is amazing

Easy: low bit rate.

Thanks for the replies guys, but it was somewhat hyperbolic but definitely rhetorical. :p

Cruz

Neo Member
stupid question can i full screen or adjust volume them because the controls disappear when i scroll over them ?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Embedding vids isn't anything at all.

The real killer feature is 60fps with sound.

Youtube shitting their pants at all the lost ad revenue.
Also shitting their pants: larger websites now looking at a future of DMCA takedown notices.

After reading about webm's being introduced to 4chan the other day I checked it out and... I had to click thumbnails for the webm's to play. WTF is this shit? Can webm's be displayed in a continous loop without having to click anything... like gifs?

jediyoshi

After reading about webm's being introduced to 4chan the other day I checked it out and... I had to click thumbnails for the webm's to play. WTF is this shit? Can webm's be displayed in a continous loop without having to click anything... like gifs?

Yes, it's all up to how it's configured in the implementation. The GAF extensions support autoplaying+looping.

Schrade

Embedding vids isn't anything at all.

The real killer feature is 60fps with sound.

Not at all. That's just video encoding formats. All perfectly easy to do years and years ago.

Again, it's just the ease of embedding that's going on here. The compression (resolution and fps) of the video is nothing special. Easily doable years ago when h.264 encoding became decent quality and easy to encode.

As a matter of fact, the plugin that could have revolutionized all this was the DivX Web Player plugin. That thing could play h.264 video really easy and cleanly. Remember that website everyone loved, Stage 6? That is where it began. It's a shame that site went under.. it could have been used exactly for what is going on here in combination with the DivX Web Player plugin... and that was like 3-4 years ago or so.

Now that pretty much all the browsers can play h.264 video THAT should be the standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom