• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: new update available (5.1.0) - Wii U to Wii U transfer + eShop controllers

Well it isn't quite up to par but it's getting better...

At least they wrote out that I can transfer a single NNID if we call customer support. Still doesn't seem like single NNID saves can be transferred, which is bullshit. But it's better.

Damn, new update and they still haven't fix the external HDD issue from last patch. For anyone that doesn't know, since patch 5.0.0, some users (like me) are not able to use their external drives for files over 1GB.

Nintendo is totally silent on when it's getting fixed and I can't play most of my digital games because of the limited space of the basic system...

Damn, new update and they still haven't fix the external HDD issue from last patch. For anyone that doesn't know, since patch 5.0.0, some users (like me) are not able to use their external drives for files over 1GB.

Nintendo is totally silent on when it's getting fixed and I can't play most of my digital games because of the limited space of the basic system...

After 5.0 i noticed that anything i would download to the external USB drive would make the rest of the system OS crawl. Haven't had a chance to download anything new, but i'm hoping they cleared that up in 5.1.

M3d10n

It's not "off".
It's in standby mode.
It can still download and install software and updates when it's in standby.
It's quite the amazing feature.

More or less. When the LED is red it's in deep standby. Once every X hours (you can change or disable it in the settings) the LED goes orange and the Wii U turns on partially (the GPU, and GamePad at least, remain turned off) and checks if there are any updates to be downloaded.

Well it isn't quite up to par but it's getting better...

At least they wrote out that I can transfer a single NNID if we call customer support. Still doesn't seem like single NNID saves can be transferred, which is bullshit. But it's better.

I guess it works like the 3DS and the saves are encrypted using a system key, not an NNID key. The key is transferred during a system transfer, but moving a single NNID won't make the target system capable of reading its saves.

I guess it works like the 3DS and the saves are encrypted using a system key, not an NNID key. The key is transferred during a system transfer, but moving a single NNID won't make the target system capable of reading its saves.

I mean at the least I can move my NNID from my friend's Wii U to my own later, so I'm already more optimistic.

Anbec7

Could you explain this a little bit more?
So if I download tiny nes,snes etc games I would not be able to play them??

dolabla

So glad we can finally use the Wii U Pro Controller (and other controllers) in the e-shop.

Now if we could just get an update where we can completely turn the gamepad off when we're not using it to save on the battery. I use my pro controller way more (battery life being one of the main reasons) than my gamepad, but the gamepad always ends up dying because it's still on when I'm not even using it. C'mon Nintendo!

So glad we can finally use the Wii U Pro Controller (and other controllers) in the e-shop.

Now if we could just get an update where we can completely turn the gamepad off when we're not using it to save on the battery. I use my pro controller way more (battery life being one of the main reasons) than my gamepad, but the gamepad always ends up dying because it's still on when I'm not even using it. C'mon Nintendo!

I leave my Gamepad on the charging dock.

TopGun

Banned
Use the eShop with the Pro Controller? Make way for a GamePad-less Wii U in the future?

I'm really hoping out for an update on vWii that allows you to play games that support the Classic Controller Pro on the GamePad/Pro Controller. I'd want to play Xenoblade on the gamepad alone, not have to hold another controller.

javac

Amiibo.

The Gamepad is not going anywhere (as they've said enough times).

They could make the 3DS portal communicate with the Wii U ( I think that works through infrared but you get my point.) Tapping a little NFC figure can easily be done without the Gamepad. This isn't the thread for a gamepad-less system discussion in any case, and I love the gamepad but Nintendo isn't in a position to beat around the bush. Wii U is competing with PS4 and Xbox One after all, and if the Xbox One isn't excused for selling less than the PS4, nether should Wii U. They need to sell more. Sales are pathetic at the moment and MK8 has shown people still care about Nintendo's software and it still sells well even when on Wii U and imo Nintendo's software output is better than ever-before. Do I think they will? No. But if they did remove the gamepad, would I be surprised? No.

dolabla

I leave my Gamepad on the charging dock.

I would do the same, but the plug isn't near me. As you probably know, on some things you do have to use the gamepad, so I like having it next to me. I don't really wanna get up once I get relaxed.

I mean I could run a long extension cable from where the closest plug is, but the wire might get in the way causing someone to trip if they don't see it (and my gamepad to go flying off the couch).

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This is the first update since I've had a Wii U; are the updates usually silent (no confirmation/notification)? With the 3DS, updates download in standby, but the installation is confirmed next time you wake the system up. With this, though, the update happened and I never would have known if not for this thread. Just wondering.

Somnid

This is the first update since I've had a Wii U; are the updates usually silent (no confirmation/notification)? With the 3DS, updates download in standby, but the installation is confirmed next time you wake the system up. With this, though, the update happened and I never would have known if not for this thread. Just wondering.

They added that last update. It used to prompt like 3DS, now it's full auto.

stuminus3

Why the heck would you want to use any other controller to browse the eShop? I don't even turn on my TV to browse the eShop. Since the quick start update I don't even switch the Wii U on before launching the eShop.

Ah well, each to their own, choice is a fine thing. I just wish they'd update Pushmo, Dr Luigi etc so you could use the Pro / Wiimote.

Kolma

Hope you guys don't love Yoshi's Cookie TOO much...
10499179_272456032957897_478640197_n.jpg

Also have attempted the transfer 3 times..
Wii U freezes same spot every time (trying to copy data to SD card)
Really don't want to send them to Nintendo as I don't want to break my Wii Fit U streak... but it seems I have no choice... ugh
Target Wii U which doesn't freeze gives me Error Code: 1114-900
Which tada http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wf...?error_code=1114-900&system=Wiiu&locale=en_US
1377482825366.jpg

Shun

So when will there be an update to allow us to move JUST save data from the external drive to the Wii U Internal Storage.

I want to keep my saves on the NAND and the games themselves on the HDD, not everything on the HDD and risk losing it all incase it dies on me.

I've tried everything and apparently it's not a feature atm.

gwiz210

This is a good of a place as anywhere to ask,
I recently sold my 3DS. I "unlink"ed my NNID before doing so. If/when I get a new 3DS, can I link that old NNID to it? If not, what's the point of the unlinking process?

Kolma

I recently sold my 3DS. I "unlink"ed my NNID before doing so. If/when I get a new 3DS, can I link that old NNID to it? If not, what's the point of the unlinking process?

I wanna say you will be fine, but worst case scenario just give Nintendo hotline a holler.

i think they can't do that because neither of those things can act as a wii remote and you need a wii remote to play wii games. i know that's really stupid, but i think it's a hardware limitation.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Honestly all I want is for an update to make the gamepad usable as a classic controller in Wii mode.

Hell I'd even be okay with using a wii u pro controller as a classic controller in wii mode.

Sayter

If you unlinked your NNID then you'll be fine.

but neither of those things can connect to a wii remote, the sole necessary thing a device needs to do in order to control a wii game.

Now I only require two more things:

Folders and being able to use the Gamepad as a Classic Controller in Wii mode.

At least one of those should be doable.

Justmarbz

Neo Member
Game pad is bad now? Damn. :/
Yeah, wtf is that about? I just got the wii u 2 daya ago and i fucking love the gamepad. So far it's my favorite thing about the console. People will cry about anything, even when given the alternate control options they want.

Can we get an account system where you just log in? I know they don't want game sharing but they gotta come up with a way to get it done. It's getting ridiculous.

Hope you guys don't love Yoshi's Cookie TOO much...
10499179_272456032957897_478640197_n.jpg

Also have attempted the transfer 3 times..
Wii U freezes same spot every time (trying to copy data to SD card)
Really don't want to send them to Nintendo as I don't want to break my Wii Fit U streak... but it seems I have no choice... ugh
Target Wii U which doesn't freeze gives me Error Code: 1114-900
Which tada http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wf...?error_code=1114-900&system=Wiiu&locale=en_US
1377482825366.jpg

Ah shit, people with DKC trilogy are fucked.

For Wii Mode compatibility. Which is why I doubt they'd let the Wii U menu use it, because you wouldn't be able to use the same SD card for Wii Mode and Wii U games. Although I'm curious to what the System Transfer does with the SD card in terms of formatting it.

ooh they added pictures

You can use SD cards in Wii U games such as the Animal Crossing Plaza

Ooh, so it sounds like there's a new system transfer animation too? I'd love to see that.

Is there a video of this? The Pikmin Wii -> Wii U animation was amazing.

Looks like a Wii U to Wii U transfer does two interesting things:

1) Instantly unlinks any NNIDs on the target system, so they're free to be relinked wherever
2) Doesn't delete any Wii Menu software (Wii Virtual Console games, WiiWare), instead it combines the content from both consoles
Hmmmm... so if someone has multiple accounts on system A, could they do a transfer to a new system B and then retransfer back to system A, relink 1 account and then have the others open for other Wii Us?

Me and an old roommate both made NNIDs on a friend's launch Wii U before we found out about the link system. We both now have the accounts tied to our 3DSes as well and would like to keep that account for when we get a Wii U. No Wii U purchases have been made on the system other than the owners.

Glad they're continuing to roll out updates. I'll be absurdly glad if and when they ever allow me to use the Gamepad as a Classic Controller in Wii Mode...

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Ah shit, people with DKC trilogy are fucked.
The DKC trilogy was delisted, but they can still be redownloaded if you already purchased them. Yoshi's Cookie, though, was removed ENTIRELY from the Wii Shop Channel--you can't even redownload it. If you delete it, you lose it forever. So I'm guessing this actually only applies to Yoshi's Cookie and nothing else.

I have no way of confirming that for 100% sure, but that's what it looks like to me.

EDIT: Looks like I'm late on that. Oh well.

Mecca

I thought you could already turn the gamepad off by clicking the home button and selecting the off option.

tsab

Nitnendo, master of stable updates! Only 2years late for the eshop controller support :/ and the transfer wizard is welcomed too.

I thought you could already turn the gamepad off by clicking the home button and selecting the off option.

It doesn't shut off though. Only the display, the gamepad is still on, synced and consuming battery.
inb4 charger

Burai

shitonmychest57
Dear Nintendo,

Now can I have an option to toggle between stereo and surround output for the Gamepad that's easily accessible from the home screen?

Thanks!

Top Bottom