• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•09-11•17 - Wonder Woman deflects competition, Cruise cries for his Mummy

kswiston

I forgot to mention this earlier. but Get Out is now the highest grossing hollywood horror/thriller film ever in South Korea. The film also broke the $250M mark worldwide.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I forgot to mention this earlier. but Get Out is now the highest grossing hollywood horror/thriller film ever in South Korea. The film also broke the $250M mark worldwide.

That is random as fudge.

Especially given the highly American perspective.

Cool.

kswiston

UPI has The Mummy at $185M overseas, which points to a decent weekday take. The Domestic total is a much less rosy $42M.

This weekend is looking like $11-12M domestic to me based on Thursday's take (so basically what B-G-E had, but I think that his guess is on the upper end). Overall, I'm guessing a finish in the $70-75M range domestically, and $350M or so worldwide.

Alien Covenant's first day in China was around $11M, which means that it is finally over A Dog's Purpose worldwide!

We still have a Japanese opening in the future, but I'm thinking that Alien Covenant will have to settle for $225-235M worldwide at this point. Transformers 5 is going to kill it dead in China next weekend. Especially since WOM for Alien is apparently terrible there as well.

Dunno if it's been posted here yet, but the rumor floating around China about Alien Covenant is that six minutes have been edited out and it's all scenes with the Alien critter. Still waiting to hear back from someone over here who has actually seen it to confirm or not.

Anth0ny

TF1 definitely has its charms. Case in point: the only reason Jon Voight isn't the president is so Michael Baby can include a brief scene of a George Bush stand-in asking for Ding Dongs.

Edit: Hell, if we're going to rank them...

TF1: C+
TF2: F
TF3: D+
TF4: F

TF1 :B- (I actually enjoyed it. Liked more than I disliked)
TF2: F (omg what happened? garbage follow up that was basically everything I disliked about the first film turned up to 10. surely this is just a fluke and the next one will fix this...)
TF3: F (welp, I was wrong. Bay is just shit)
TF4: didn't watch because it's probably complete shit

Dunno if it's been posted here yet, but the rumor floating around China about Alien Covenant is that six minutes have been edited out and it's all scenes with the Alien critter. Still waiting to hear back from someone over here who has actually seen it to confirm or not.

BXIvBYG.gif

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Dang, the Mummy tanked hard.

Is cruise done? This seems like a big enough flop to sink his career as a leading man.

firelogic

Hey I think Pain & Gain and 13 Hours were great!

Well, not "great" but they're certainly much better films than anything Bay has churned out for the TF franchise.

That's what makes me sad. Bay is more than capable of making a great TF flick, but it's like he chooses not to.

Then we end up with Ken Jeong...

I'm right there with you. 13 Hours had some great action sequences and I actually got attached to some of the characters. Pain and Gain was humorous in a grotesque way as I discovered at the end of the movie that it's based on a true story.

Is cruise done? This seems like a big enough flop to sink his career as a leading man.

A couple of flops aren't enough to destroy the Cruise Missile. He's got Mission Impossible and Live Die Repeat Again coming up. And the drug cartel movie American Made.

kswiston

All the gore scenes with the xenomorphs were cut from the user reviews that I have read (in broken Google translate).

Chinese audiences are left with brief alien glimpses, religious metaphors/poetry, and fingering.

Anth0ny

lol johnny depp has had like 5 "career ending" flops in the last 10 years and this mother fucker seems totally fine. I don't think Cruise has to worry. her won't get the blame.

He's extremely well-connected, so no. There will be more MI films and whatever romantic/buddy drama/comedy he can no longer do stunts or loses all his screen presence and can just mail it in for the rest of his life like DeNiro.

Toa TAK

Banned
All the gore scenes with the xenomorphs were cut from the user reviews that I have read (in broken Google translate).

Chinese audiences are left with brief alien glimpses, religious metaphors/poetry, and fingering.
That's terrible.

I love the back burster scene.

UPI has The Mummy at $185M overseas, which points to a decent weekday take. The Domestic total is a much less rosy $42M.

This weekend is looking like $11-12M domestic to me based on Thursday's take (so basically what B-G-E had, but I think that his guess is on the upper end). Overall, I'm guessing a finish in the $70-75M range domestically, and $350M or so worldwide.

Alien Covenant's first day in China was around $11M, which means that it is finally over A Dog's Purpose worldwide!

We still have a Japanese opening in the future, but I'm thinking that Alien Covenant will have to settle for $225-235M worldwide at this point. Transformers 5 is going to kill it dead in China next weekend. Especially since WOM for Alien is apparently terrible there as well.

A nearly 50% drop from Prometheus.

Glad that sometimes, just occasionally, audiences know a shit film when they see it.

Waits to hear that TF5 makes over a billion thanks to China.

Not

Banned

Korea's got some good taste

They've been putting out some rad movies of their own too (Handmaiden, Snowpiercer, I know I'm making some American korean-cinephiles go bananas right now, sorry)

ArmGunar

10.7m FRI for WW

Amazing 77-78% jump, just -32% from last FRI
On the road for 40m+ we

Deadline predictions :

1.). Cars 3 (DIS), 4.256 theaters / $19.1M Fri. (includes $2.8M previews) /3-day cume: $51.5M/Wk 1

2.). Wonder Woman (WB), 4,018 theaters (-147)/ $10.6M Fri./3-day cume: $37.5M (-36%)/Total:$271.3 M/ Wk 3

3.). All Eyez On Me (LG), 2,471 theaters / $13M Fri. (includes $3.1M) /3-day cume: $33.5M/Wk 1

4.). The Mummy (Uni), 4.034 theaters (-1) / $3.8M Fri. (-68%) /3-day cume: $13.2M (-58%)/Total: $55.8M/Wk 2

5.). 47 Meters Down (ENT), 2,270 theaters / $4.2M Fri. (includes $735k) /3-day cume: $10.6M/Wk 1

6.). Rough Night (SONY), 3,162 theaters / $3.4M Fri. (includes $700k) /3-day cume: $8.9M/Wk 1

7.). Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (DIS), 2,759 theaters (-920)/ $2.1M Fri. (-30%)/3-day cume: $7.6M (-29%)/Total:$149.2M/ Wk 4

8.). Captain Underpants (DWA/20TH), 2,968 theaters (-561)/ $2.1M Fri. (-40%) /3-day cume: $7.3M (-40%)/Total: $57.9M/Wk 3

9.). Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (DIS), 1,813 theaters (-1,098) / $1.2M Fri. (-27%)/3-day cume: $4.8M (-23%)/Total:$374.7m/ Wk 7

10.). Megan Leavey (BST), 1,832 theaters (-124) / $673K Fri (-46%) /3-day cume: $2.4M (-36%) /Total:$8.3M/ Total: Wk 2

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Dem WW legs. They couldn't pick a better time on its release.
Heck, I bet it's made back its total cost (production and marketing) from its domestic alone by now.

milanbaros

Member?

Using $350m ww, the film will make 2.8x its budget . Not great for a franchise starter, less than they will have hoped for and a sure flop in the US, but enough to stall the cruise missile? Come on.

Toa TAK

Banned
Using $350m ww, the film will make 2.8x its budget . Not great for a franchise starter, less than they will have hoped for and a sure flop in the US, but enough to stall the cruise missile? Come on.
Not a flop.

So clearly we're being punished for something.

Honestly don't even think it would matter which 6 minutes of the film were cut. The whole thing goes nowhere and has nothing to say. Ulimately, cutting 6 minutes would just be cutting out one of the pointless, disposable character or cutting some banal dialogue that had no bearing on the overall plot. The only scene in the entire movie that actually matters is the last one.

El Topo

Dracula Untold did $217m on a $70m budget. Never came back.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Cars 3 - $19.5M
2) All Eyez On Me - $12.8M
3) Wonder Woman - $10.9M - $245M total
4) 47 Meters Down - $4.5M
5) The Mummy - $3.8M - $46M total
6) Rough Night - $3.0M

Top Bottom