• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•09-11•17 - Wonder Woman deflects competition, Cruise cries for his Mummy

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Speaking of Tom Cruise, how was The Edge of Tomorrow? I read the manga recently and it made me curious about the movie, I kinda forgot about it lol, went a bit under the radar for me at the time.

an absolute blast from start to finish

J_Viper

When do the reviews for TF5 hit?

There's still a small shred of me that hopes this is the one where Michael Bay is going to try this time

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Speaking of Tom Cruise, how was The Edge of Tomorrow? I read the manga recently and it made me curious about the movie, I kinda forgot about it lol, went a bit under the radar for me at the time.
It's better than the manga largely but also completely different.

TF1 definitely has its charms. Case in point: the only reason Jon Voight isn't the president is so Michael Baby can include a brief scene of a George Bush stand-in asking for Ding Dongs.

Edit: Hell, if we're going to rank them...

TF1: C+
TF2: F
TF3: D+
TF4: F

Effect

I like the lady hacker and anthony anderson in transformers one. They should have kept them

Have to be honest. I was genuinely disappointed they weren't in the second one. I liked those characters. I also wanted more of the parents instead of Shia and his nonsense.

Transformers...3(? one with the guy from can't buy me love) I didn't mind when it became four hours of robots fighting in Chicago. A giant snake robot cut a building in half.

TF1 definitely has its charms. Case in point: the only reason Jon Voight isn't the president is so Michael Baby can include a brief scene of a George Bush stand-in asking for Ding Dongs.

Edit: Hell, if we're going to rank them...

TF1: C+
TF2: F
TF3: D+
TF4: F

Bay doesn't deserve letter grades, only fruit-shaped stickers showing relative approval of his latest completed assignments.

Slayven

Have to be honest. I was genuinely disappointed they weren't in the second one. I liked those characters. I also wanted more of the parents instead of Shia and his nonsense.

Series seem to have a bunch more life when it was a bunch of folks intersecting over crazy shit.

Transformers...3(? one with the guy from can't buy me love) I didn't mind when it became four hours of robots fighting in Chicago. A giant snake robot cut a building in half.
Yes, that was 3.

It also had Megatron getting punked so hard by Rosie Huntington-Whiteley that it's hilarious. And, of course, Optimus blowing a begging Leonard Nimoy's head off.

Bay doesn't deserve letter grades, only fruit-shaped stickers showing relative approval of his latest completed assignments.
cc328295f27d4d5e6b3402914292096d.jpg

Yes, that was 3.

It also had Megatron getting punked so hard by Rosie Huntington-Whiteley that it's hilarious. And, of course, Optimus blowing a begging Leonard Nimoy's head off.

The ending to TF3 makes no sense whatsoever

Optimus fights Septimus, loses, begs Septimus to stop

Not-Megan Fox trolls Megatron into helping (this would've been better if it was still Fox's character but still not great)

Megatron saves the day, asks for truce, Optimus fucking murders him and Septimus in cold blood when both were no threat

HIT THE LINKIN' PARK

Yes, that was 3.

IMG]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/cc/32/82/cc328295f27d4d5e6b3402914292096d.jpg[/IMG]

Optimus is a stone cold killer in these movies. Like, the hook with the new one is he's gone bad or something? He's the same robot that once said "give me your face" as he literally cuts off another robot's face. And I think he rips Megatron's heart out.

Toa TAK

Banned
The ending to TF3 makes no sense whatsoever

Optimus fights Septimus, loses, begs Septimus to stop

Not-Megan Fox trolls Megatron into helping (this would've been better if it was still Fox's character but still not great)

Megatron saves the day, asks for truce, Optimus fucking murders him and Septimus in cold blood when both were no threat

HIT THE LINKIN' PARK
I will never get over that.

Complete character assassination of Prime. At least, worse than ROTF.

The endings of the TF movies may be the best thing about them

1: All the autobots are in a circle surrounding Megan Fox and Shia making out
2: Something about living on in memories (you can really tell this movie had no script when filming started)
3: As mentioned
4: Optimus Prime flies into outer space (when the fuck did he learn to do that?!) to go kill God or something.

Hmm, I just bought my friend and I tickets to see TF5 and got hit with this message

It’s OPTIMUS PRIME TIME. Humans and Transformers are at war and the key to the future lies in the hidden history of Transformers on Earth. Watch the war unfold on Tuesday, June 20 at 7:00pm for THE OPTIMUS PRIME TIME Event. Ticket holders will see TRANSFORMERS: THE LAST KNIGHT one hour early in 3D, and will also receive a collector's t-shirt and event lanyard.

OPTIMUS PRIME TIME

Oersted

Last Transformers movie I watched was the moon one.

I'm not opposed to stupid movies in any way, but that one felt like getting your brain chewed for 10 hours.

4's even better because he just fucking blasts Frasier into kingdom come without a second thought

Prime has zero sympathy

"I have sworn to never hurt humans....
...but when I find out who did this to Ratchet, he's GOING TO DIE"

I will genuinely give Bayformers 5 points if Punished Prime isn't actually hypnotized, he's just killing people because he enjoys it and changed his eye color to purple because he likes the color

DeathyBoy

Banned
4's even better because he just fucking blasts Frasier into kingdom come without a second thought

Prime has zero sympathy

He also beats the fuck out of the dinobots until they recognise he's their leader. Optimus' descent into a super villain is a great long running character arc.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The TJ Miller character's death in Transformers 4 is the most nightmarish shit ever, that's the only thing I remember about that movie.

Slayven

I watched Transformers 4 twice and i can't remember the story at all. Hell i was just reminded TJ miller dies in it last week

kswiston

I feel like they saw the first trailer land with a thud and decided after that that it wasn't worth trying to market it any further.

I think that the "overweight girl commits manslaughter by crushing a male strippers skull in during her friend's bachelorette party" concept doesn't really scream "zany fun time!"

Slayven

I think that the "overweight girl commits manslaughter by crushing a male strippers skull in during her friend's bachelorette party" concept doesn't really scream "zany fun time!"

I don't know how they justify the SNL lady doing an Aussie accent for 90 minutes.

He also beats the fuck out of the dinobots until they recognise he's their leader. Optimus' descent into a super villain is a great long running character arc.

This new one would be amazing if they went in that direction. Everyone thinks Optimus is being mind controlled. Nope. He's finally embracing his hatefulness.

Toa TAK

Banned
Hey I think Pain & Gain and 13 Hours were great!

Well, not "great" but they're certainly much better films than anything Bay has churned out for the TF franchise.

That's what makes me sad. Bay is more than capable of making a great TF flick, but it's like he chooses not to.

Then we end up with Ken Jeong...
You mean Deep Wang????????

I'm just here for the 30ish minutes of robot on robot action

When do the reviews for TF5 hit?

There's still a small shred of me that hopes this is the one where Michael Bay is going to try this time

He seems to think he's doing Star Wars this time. "it's true, all of it", literally in the trailers.

It's not happening, but I can't speak for China. I imagine that they're quickly learning which movies are worth it or not though, since Pirates and The Mummy have already done even worse than expected there. I hope TF5's BO is going to be 'cathartic'.

Also, I still don't buy that 'Homecoming is MCU therefore must work' argument, but if Wonder Woman manages to pass BvS, that would make it 200% above my 400m prediction on it (to be fair, I imagined it would be another BvS), so I'm nobody on the guessing bit. Well, except for saying the Mummy would bomb and people thinking it wouldn't. I got what I wanted on that one. Spiderman will be heavily review dependent, and I figure it will do fine. But I'm also kind of done with that character for a bit.

The DOM-FOR split is increasingly on Domestic for WW though, now up to 50%, so you might want to brace for it being mostly a US affair, much like Star Wars.
That, and the other movies that were supposed to 'eat its lunch money' did poorly. Cars 3 and TF5 are going to be interesting to watch relative to it.

But what really shocks me is how everything else is a critical disaster on RT. Like, it's rotten all round. How the hell did that happen?
(btw, on that 1987 list: can you imagine seeing them in order of release? PREDATOR- Roxanne- SPACEBALLS-Full Metal Jacket, I mean, the tone is flip-flopping all over. )

J_Viper

Is it sad that I'm more interested in what the fuck Sony's Tom Hardy Venom flick turns out to be than Homecoming?

You mean Deep Wang????????

I'm just here for the 30ish minutes of robot on robot action

Y'know, the the TF films were half their lengths, they'd probably be alright.

The action is master class, but everything surrounding those scenes is abhorrent garbage.

He seems to think he's doing Star Wars this time. "it's true, all of it", literally in the trailers.

It's not happening, but I can't speak for China. I imagine that they're quickly learning which movies are worth it or not though, since Pirates and The Mummy have already done even worse than expected there. I hope TF5's BO is going to be 'cathartic'.
I wonder if they end up lowering the usual budget on the Bumblebee spin off if the BO results are less than expected

Top Bottom