• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 29 |OT| RematchaMania XXVIII-2: Out with the new and in with the old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow780

Taker Punk was the best, from entrance to the actual match. They performed extremely well and the crowd responded enthusiastically to it.

Might as well finished the night there.

Ithil

Isn't Triple H the only one who ever gets those WM entrances?

Cena's had them every year since about 2006. This year Punk, Taker, Brock, HHH, Swagger (not that we saw it) and Fandango had special entrances.

I think it's obvious they ran out of time for Cena/Rock, they just started the match with no indication it was coming up or anything. Just a commercial after Brock/HHH and Cena's music hit.

Nebula

I posted it during the show itself. It was all underwhelming. The entrances, the matches and the results/post match happenings.

I've watched 2 Wrestlemanias on PPV live, and this topped neither of them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Laughed at the LAW saying Taker's entrance was inspired by Walking Dead, like there is no other reason why the Deadman would come out around a bunch of reaching hands

e8tjYfe.png

Maybe Cena will go on a 2002-2004 HHH style reign of terror.
I think we're already in his reign of terror and it started back in 2005.

I was shocked Cena or Rock didn't get one off those big, amazing WM entrances

Quite possibly the swerve of the evening.

WM22: Gangster entrance
WM23: Cheesy Car entrance where commentary team try to play up like it's a mystery who's in the car
WM24: Marching Band (the best)
WM25: Cena Clones (close runner up)
WM26: Soldier dudes spinning guns
WM27: Gospel Choir or something?
WM28: Awful concert sung by some scrawny berk who dared to call Cena an underdog, the worst.
WM29: "hey this isn't Rhode Scholars theme...oh shit Cena's on now?"

Nebula

Laughed at the LAW saying Taker's entrance was inspired by Walking Dead, like there is no other reason why the Deadman would come out around a bunch of reaching hands

e8tjYfe.png

Cole said something about loooking into the eyes of The Walking Dead during the match itself.

Also WWE need to hire a Time Manager or something to keep them on track. It was awful last night.

jred2k

"Out with the new and in with the old" is probably the most accurate subtitle a thread has ever had. Kudos to whoever originally suggested it.

UberTag

Also, did I seriously see people leaving during the Rock/Cena match?
The smart ones were the folks who left before it even started to get a jump on beating the traffic.

I'd say the smartest of the lot would have left before even Trips vs. Lesnar considering how obvious that end result was but they would have missed out on the Hall of Fame wrap-up segment and that would have been somewhat disappointing.

Definitely should have left once Cena's theme blared at around 10:15pm Eastern.

Cena has absolutely no impact outside of the world of wrestling either. I'm sure it has a bit to do with wrestling just not be as popular in general, but he literally has no mainstream awareness. People who have never watched a match in their lives know of Stone Cold, The Rock, Hulk Hogan, or even Bret Hart. Its amazing how a guy that's been a mega-star for years has basically none of that.

This is so true.

I grew up watching wrestling. My favorite part of my youth was staying up for Saturday Night Main event in the late 80s. I stayed into wrestling up until the mid-late 90s. I probably stopped paying attention completely in the '98 range. I haven't gotten a PPV since Wrestlemania 13, IIRC. I've been totally out of the loop. That being said, during the 2000s I still took in a certain amount of wrestling-related information passively, without intending to do so. So I have a passing awareness of dudes like Lashley, Lesnar, Punk, etc., who emerged while I was completely absent.

I basically have no fucking clue who John Cena is. I've seen his face before (I don't know where), but I don't think I've seen him speak or wrestle. I don't understand what his gimmick is, why he's popular, or anything like that.

On a lark, last night my brother, my dad and I got together for Wrestlemania 29. We just thought we'd check in after ~15 years. Why not? So I got to see John Cena for the first time. Holy fuck. This guy has been at the center of the WWE for a decade? That seems almost impossible to me. He is *terrible*. He has zero charisma, an awful in-ring presence, ridiculously terrible pacing (fucking kicking out before the two-count constantly?!?!), and a mediocre look. I don't get it at all. How is this dude big?

A few general thoughts about WM29:

1. I can't believe that the WWE is still pushing the dudes it was pushing in the late 90s. How the fuck did the card involve 'Taker, Kane, Y2J, The Rock, HBK, HHH, etc.? It's just bizarre. They're headlining these dinosaurs while burying all of their new talent. I don't get it.

2. 'Taker-Punk should have headlined. Incredible shit. I now understand why there is so much buzz for Punk. What an incredible performer.

3. Why was there no drama/storyline shit? It was just wrestling match after wrestling match. Aside from a few (overplayed) vignettes, there was almost no storytelling. There was basically zero in-arena storytelling. When I was a kid, dudes jawed at each other, there were big set-pieces, and so on. Where was all of that?

4. Lesnar-HHH and Rock-Cena had the three of us literally rubbing our heads and groaning. I cannot believe I paid to watch that trash. Holy christ.

5. John Cena. Holy fuck. Holy fuck. I don't understand. I don't understand.

Anyway, I won't be getting a WWE event again for the next 15 years. Heh.

Bowser

I thought I read somewhere that they were gonna do an entrance for Cena to Eminem's "Til I Collapse" which would have been cool, much better than the match and aftermath itself

Sephzilla

WM22: Gangster entrance
WM23: Cheesy Car entrance where commentary team try to play up like it's a mystery who's in the car
WM24: Marching Band (the best)
WM25: Cena Clones (close runner up)
WM26: Soldier dudes spinning guns
WM27: Gospel Choir or something?
WM28: Awful concert sung by some scrawny berk who dared to call Cena an underdog, the worst.
WM29: "hey this isn't Rhode Scholars theme...oh shit Cena's on now?"

I was a fan of the gangster entrance, mainly because there was a CM Punk cameo in it.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
The smart ones were the folks who left before it even started to get a jump on beating the traffic.

I'd say the smartest of the lot would have left before even Trips vs. Lesnar considering how obvious that end result was but they would have missed out on the Hall of Fame wrap-up segment and that would have been somewhat disappointing.

Definitely should have left once Cena's theme blared at around 10:15pm Eastern.

The smartest were the ones who didn't watch.

I actually meant along the lines of something being built for Triple H. I know about the other entrances but he seems to always have some physical prop whenever he comes out at WM.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I actually meant along the lines of something being built for Triple H. I know about the other entrances but he seems to always have some physical prop whenever he comes out at WM.

Hell he came out on a horse last year.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Did he really? Wow, haha.

I'm just starting to get back into watch so I only remember him coming out on a throne a few years back and whatever he walked through this year. Thought he got something similar every year.

Yikes, that was 2 years ago, not last year. Time flies :/

"Out with the new and in with the old" is probably the most accurate subtitle a thread has ever had. Kudos to whoever originally suggested it.

I want to say it was me but I was inspired to state that by Funky Student's pretty great idea of Wrestlemania 29 |OT| Old people beating up young people.

Screw it, i'm taking one victory out of this WM.

Ithil

This is so true.

I grew up watching wrestling. My favorite part of my youth was staying up for Saturday Night Main event in the late 80s. I stayed into wrestling up until the mid-late 90s. I probably stopped paying attention completely in the '98 range. I haven't gotten a PPV since Wrestlemania 13, IIRC. I've been totally out of the loop. That being said, during the 2000s I still took in a certain amount of wrestling-related information passively, without intending to do so. So I have a passing awareness of dudes like Lashley, Lesnar, Punk, etc., who emerged while I was completely absent.

I basically have no fucking clue who John Cena is. I've seen his face before (I don't know where), but I don't think I've seen him speak or wrestle. I don't understand what his gimmick is, why he's popular, or anything like that.

On a lark, last night my brother, my dad and I got together for Wrestlemania 29. We just thought we'd check in after ~15 years. Why not? So I got to see John Cena for the first time. Holy fuck. This guy has been at the center of the WWE for a decade? That seems almost impossible to me. He is *terrible*. He has zero charisma, an awful in-ring presence, ridiculously terrible pacing (fucking kicking out before the two-count constantly?!?!), and a mediocre look. I don't get it at all. How is this dude big?

A few general thoughts about WM29:

1. I can't believe that the WWE is still pushing the dudes it was pushing in the late 90s. How the fuck did the card involve 'Taker, Kane, Y2J, The Rock, HBK, HHH, etc.? It's just bizarre. They're headlining these dinosaurs while burying all of their new talent. I don't get it.

2. 'Taker-Punk should have headlined. Incredible shit. I now understand why there is so much buzz for Punk. What an incredible performer.

3. Why was there no drama/storyline shit? It was just wrestling match after wrestling match. Aside from a few (overplayed) vignettes, there was almost no storytelling. There was basically zero in-arena storytelling. When I was a kid, dudes jawed at each other, there were big set-pieces, and so on. Where was all of that?

4. Lesnar-HHH and Rock-Cena had the three of us literally rubbing our heads and groaning. I cannot believe I paid to watch that trash. Holy christ.

5. John Cena. Holy fuck. Holy fuck. I don't understand. I don't understand.

Anyway, I won't be getting a WWE event again for the next 15 years. Heh.
HBK is retired, he only comes back to support HHH (because HHH can't get a reaction on his own) at WM. Jericho and Kane put over the young guys all the time, that's their reason for still being there, and Kane still works a 300+ day schedule. He's a champ.

Taker is old and battered, but he's a special event at WM, and as you can see he still gives it his all to put on the best match of then night.

HHH and Rock? No idea. Vince is crazy.

Cena sucks.

UberTag

I only hope they don't make the same mistakes next year...
Of course they'll make the same mistakes next year. Vince is still there.
So is the army of dozens of soap opera writers led by Princess Stephanie.

How about those that do neither and post on GAF? Accusations of monolithic group responsibility are a lazy way to shut down conversation. People that don't pay aren't supporting it. Those that do earn the right to criticise.
I disagree. And I disagree because the WWE outright ignores any and all criticism from their customers that pay.
They have your money already. They could care less what you think. You've paid them to support their product and that's the only opinion that matters.
The only criticism the WWE responds to is the very act of NOT paying them.

Kyoufu

e8tjYfe.png

I don't think you realise Punk is a big fan of The Walking Dead. Could have been his idea.

jred2k

I disagree. And I disagree because the WWE outright ignores any and all criticism from their customers that pay.
They have your money already. They could care less what you think. You've paid them to support their product and that's the only opinion that matters.
The only criticism the WWE responds to is the very act of NOT paying them.

I feel like its kind of a damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't situation. If we all stopped watching it would probably just lead to talented people getting future endeavored and more of these "One Night Only" type of part-timer matches. For anything to truly change its probably going to need to be at the point where no one from the Attitude Era can compete any more. Buying merch is the last form of expressing an opinion the audience has anymore. Vince clearly doesn't listen to the live audience.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
It was masterfully done how they got out of Cena being booed to the high heavens after the match by having him leave the ring before the Rock and wait at the top of the ramp. Also, after he and the rock did their kiss under the fireworks, they cut the PPV as Cena was going for a solo pose. Although, the crowd did pop when Cena got the 3 so maybe they were apathetic enough to not boo at that point.

Sephzilla

It was masterfully done how they got out of Cena being booed to the high heavens after the match by having him leave the ring before the Rock and wait at the top of the ramp. Also, after he and the rock did their kiss under the fireworks, they cut the PPV as Cena was going for a solo pose. Although, the crowd did pop when Cena got the 3 so maybe they were apathetic enough to not boo at that point.

I think they cut away to avoid having the show end with Cena being booed. It wasn't like they were over on time or anything, the show ended 10 minutes before the top of the hour.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I kind of feel like they did something with the sound on the PPV to minimize the impact of the boos. Which might be why there was that odd silence from the announce table during the entrance to the Cena/Punk match - they didn't want the announce team commenting on it or having their mics pick the sound up.

Sephzilla

Really hoping for a Same Old Shit chant tonight. Anybody going, it's your duty to make it happen.

Like it would make a difference. That chant would start up, Cena would hold the mic out to the crowd, and then continue his promo. He sells the crowd about as well as he sells in his matches.

Cagey

Banned
Really hoping for a Same Old Shit chant tonight. Anybody going, it's your duty to make it happen.

Mission accepted. If the crowd tonight is what I expect -- ROH crowd attendance x 3 -- it should be good.

I'm more a proponent of the BORING chant though. "Cena Sucks!" is what the WWE wants. It's a visceral reaction to the character John Cena, and Controversy Creates Cash (TM).

BORING is a devastating criticism of the product and gives the target who receives it a rather nasty brand moving forward. Fandango is going to suffer from "YOU CAN'T WRESTLE" chants because it was on RAW enough such that casual goers think it's cool and fun to say. You don't want crowds serenading your top star by calling him boring to watch.

Borman

I was there. Cena winning was a mixed reaction from where I was, but probably louder on the cheers. Haven't seen the TV version yet.

As for Swaggers entrance, he came down to no music until they showed him on the screen, everyone was wondering why the buggy thing was there.

Sephzilla

I was there. Cena winning was a mixed reaction from where I was, but probably louder on the cheers. Haven't seen the TV version yet.

As for Swaggers entrance, he came down to no music until they showed him on the screen, everyone was wondering why the buggy thing was there.

I'm really perplexed why they jobbed his entrance. Maybe it was punishment for his DUI

It's fun, but WWE '13 is limited. Ganondorf should be the champion.

Ganondorf is hitting Cena tier over-exposure :p

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Always wanted to get into it but didn't know where to start

Go to Dailymotion, look up Wrestle Kingdom 7, and strap in for a hell of a ride. It's my go-to recommendation for NJPW as it's fairly recent, extremely excellent, and they have great production values.

I cannot ever quit WWE. It is a guilty pleasure.

You lose your #rock bet too. So what's up, you gonna put anything on the line? Maybe you should change your avatar to "cereal at 1am" or something to upset you.

Zeb Coulter looks like a claymation infuriated candy shoppe tycoon.

Aiii

So not worth it
I am a broken man. Gutted. Defeated. If only I had some rolemodel to teach me about overcoming the odds and rising above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom