• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 29 |OT| RematchaMania XXVIII-2: Out with the new and in with the old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

Got back from the show a little while back. Punk/Taker was incredible, easily the MotN. Both guys got great reactions. Putting Bork/H's right after was a massive mistake as the crowd was pretty well drained from Punk/Taker. Dunno if you could hear on TV but there were spurts of "Boring" chants during the Rock/Cena match. Speaking of which, lol team #heel

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Got back from the show a little while back. Punk/Taker was incredible, easily the MotN. Both guys got great reactions. Putting Bork/H's right after was a massive mistake as the crowd was pretty well drained from Punk/Taker. Dunno if you could hear on TV but there were spurts of "Boring" chants during the Rock/Cena match. Speaking of which, lol team #heel
When Cena started mocking the Rock with the people's elbow spot, I thought a miracle was about to occur. When Cena was waiting on the ramp, maybe, just maybe something cool will happen but nope. Cena got a handjob and fireworks went off.

Dead Man

They still have a day to save themselves.

On yeah we heard it, lol. MMA fights at least have an excuse when they're boring. Not pro wrestling though.

Brinbe

Safe, boring PPV. No Ziggler cash-in really bummed me out and I never really warmed up to it after that, although Punk-Taker was great.

In fact, if it weren't for the fun, boisterous crowd, I would've been mad at spending so much for such a by-the-numbers event. Other than the Henry W, everything else was stupidly predictable by everyone here.

Anyway, I'm really hoping Raw tomorrow shits all over this event. Expecting a lot less Cena fans @ Izod.

Brinbe

13.gif

BAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I actually left as soon as Rock lost because I had to catch a bus to the Port Authority, so I completely missed this piece of shit moment. God am I glad I left when I did. Would have puked in my seat right then and there.

Anth0ny

13.gif

BAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I actually left as soon as Rock lost because I had to catch a bus to the Port Authority, so I completely missed this piece of shit moment. God am I glad I left when I did. Would have puked in my seat right then and there.

fucking brutal

you can tell rock felt like an idiot going through those motions

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, here's my full run-down.

IC Title Match - Blech. Wade got a huge reaction (considering not everyone was in their seats yet), Miz's reaction was pretty mixed. Goddamn is that figure four shitty. Short and expected, though seeing Wade pull out Wasteland was pretty cool. It also rained rather hard during this match and was the coldest and windiest it was all night. Pretty much once the show started the weather went back to being nice and normal, and it actually got warmer as the night went on. They got incredibly lucky with the weather.

Shield vs. Superfaces - Good match. Crowd was VERY pro-Shiled. They liked the faces too and all, but everybody wanted the Shield to win. Lots of "Let's Go Shield" and "Shield! Shield! Shield!" chants. They exited and entered from right below where I was sitting. Nobody really gave much of a shit about Show turning, considering he was face for, what, a week? Everybody really dug this one, though, and the finish made everyone happy. Nice start.

Mizark vs. Skip Sheffield - GOLDBERG chants right from the start. Some Sexual Chocolate chants too. Crowd was definitely pro-Henry but was really into seeing Ryback try to do Shellshock on him. Cool spot, went over big live.

Hell No vs. Ziggler and Big E - Fun little match, everybody here is super over (well, maybe not Big E). Not much to say about it, but quality stuff. Ziggler losing seemed to set up for a MITB cash-in...

FAAAAAN DAAAAAAN GOOOOOOO vs. Y2J - The expected outcome, a solid if not spectacular match. I imagine this feud will be continuing. Fandango seems pretty over. His gimmick got a lot of love at Axxess, and people seemed to be into him tonight too.

Bathroom break.

ADR vs. Swagger - There was a guy on the floor with a "BLACK REPUBLICAN FOR JACK SWAGGER" sign. Thought that was pretty amusing. Solid match, nice back and forth submissions. Crowd was somewhat lukewarm to start but really got into it near the end. Most importantly, though, BIG "WE WANT ZIGGLER" chants throughout almost the entire match. Hot finish. By the way, we knew there was going to be no cash-in because they started building Living Colour's set at the entrance as soon as the match started. Even still, when the lights went down during ADR's celebration and the show "moved on" there was a HUGE chorus of boos. People really wanted that cash-in. Stray "WE WANT ZIGGLER" chants would continue to pop up for the rest of the night.

Undertaker vs. CM Punk - This was incredible. This was also my first time seeing Undertaker live, and it's hard to explain but he just feels..."different" from everyone else. I love that he even got a different name graphic from everyone else in his entrance. He feels like the secret superboss in an RPG, the one that's waaaaaaay more powerful than the actual boss of the game yet gives you no real reward other than satisfaction if you beat him. This is the one match that felt like an "event" in and of itself. Punk was amazing too, his histrionics and faces and interactions with both Taker and Heyman were golden. Crowd was 100% into both guys and wanted both guys to win, and the atmosphere was amazing. A stark contrast to what was to come...

HHH vs. Brock - Total snoozefest. The crowd was bored, the match was boring, and both guys seemed like out of shape part-timers. HBK didn't add terribly much to this one, though him taking an F-5 was pretty fun. There was definitely a moment of "if they make Brock tap out to HHH..." moment in there. Crowd was palpably anxious during that sequence, and when Brock finally fell away from HHH after the third or fourth time he broke the hold the crowd erupted in relieved cheers. HHH winning with a pedigree on steel steps is fine. I can live with that. A very predictable ending, but the whole point of the match was for Hunter to get his win back, right?

Cena vs. Rock - Huh? What? Wasn't there another match in here? Where are the Funkadactyls? And why was there like no fanfare signalling this match was next like there was with the last two matches? The reaction when Cena's music hit was genuine surprise. Followed by lots and lots of boos. Very enthusiastic boos. One of the issues with the crowd response to this match, though, is that even though it was nearly 100% anti-Cena, it was NOT entirely pro-Rock the way it was last year. I would say it was maybe 70% pro-Rock, 30% anti-Rock (but not necessarily pro-Cena). So reactions were kind of all over the place on this one. One thing that was unanimous, though, is that this match fucking sucked. Boring as shit, rest holds out the ass, waaaaaaay too many uses of the exact same moves. There were actual shouts of "THIS SPOT AGAIN?!" and things like that numerous times. "Boring" chants. "Rest hold" chants. "UNDERTAKER/CM PUNK" chants. Extremely mixed and subdued pop for the finish immediately melted into a chorus of boos again. The entire ending and aftermath was booed basically constantly by the fans who were left, which just a tiny smattering of applause. And I do mean "by the fans who were left," because people were making for the exits the second the 3 was counted at the end of the matches. Just really really bad. Rock seemed visibly upset by the response to the match pretty much right from the start.

The show clearly peaked with Taker-Punk. I could have left after that much and felt like I saw a much better PPV than I do now.

We did get some "Sexual Chocolate" chants during the Henry/Ryback match

Ugh, WWE fans are the worst. That's another tick in TNA's column actually, their fans don't actively try to ruin their shows. Though I suppose WWE fans might be less dickish if the WWE didn't have such a shit product.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, almost forgot. In that moment in the Cena-Rock match where John seemed frustrated and started making his faces that lead into his People's Elbow fakeout, there were lots of "turn heel!" type chants. "YOU CAN DO IT!" was a big one from one corner of the stadium.

Alas.

Brinbe

Great write-up, Metatron. Pretty much matches my experience too up in the 200s. Same chants and everything. Though there seemed to be way more Cena fans around me than I had expected. I suppose the diehard smarks would be the ones to spring for more expensive seats.

But really, it's not surprising that the shitty card with a shitty build turned out to be, well, shit. In the end, Vince is gonna be laughing all the way to the bank after this weekend.

gurudyne

Oh, almost forgot. In that moment in the Cena-Rock match where John seemed frustrated and started making his faces that lead into his People's Elbow fakeout, there were lots of "turn heel!" type chants. "YOU CAN DO IT!" was a big one from one corner of the stadium.

Alas.

Man, none of this came through on my TV. Unclear booing and the complete lack of garbage being thrown at the end were the biggest disappointments for me.

Cagey

Banned
There were loud "PLEASE TURN HEEL!" chants during Cena/Rock towards the end. The crowd was desperate for something to happen. Section 131.

Anth0ny

Undertaker vs. CM Punk - This was incredible. This was also my first time seeing Undertaker live, and it's hard to explain but he just feels..."different" from everyone else. I love that he even got a different name graphic from everyone else in his entrance. He feels like the secret superboss in an RPG, the one that's waaaaaaay more powerful than the actual boss of the game yet gives you no real reward other than satisfaction if you beat him. This is the one match that felt like an "event" in and of itself. Punk was amazing too, his histrionics and faces and interactions with both Taker and Heyman were golden. Crowd was 100% into both guys and wanted both guys to win, and the atmosphere was amazing. A stark contrast to what was to come...

this is amazing lol

Into

I love the NY crowd, they showed no enthusiasm for the predictable and rather pointless Hunter and Brock match, none. A Zack Ryder squash match vs Mark Henry would have gotten a bigger reaction. Why would people care when neither guy is a regular and thus the winner does not matter? They also telegraphed the finish with the Hunter retirement stipulation effectively telling the fans: Yo, Hunter is winning, go buy a hotdog at the stadium or phone your SO telling them you love them, check your Facebook or play some Angry Birds during the match.

The ending says everything about WWE's current state, they knew they had to end the show with the loser of the match and his music in the ring. People do not want Cena, that was evident, but WWE does not care.

The ending was really bad, crowd booed the hell out of it, all that loud music and pyro in the world cannot hide that.

Its really bad when, at your biggest show of all time, you have to protect your so called "face" with loud music and quickly get him out of the ring because you know that is not what the fans what. Its Eric Bischoff WCW mid 90s

While people here wanted a heel turn, i think the bigger issue is that all the 3 matches were predictable and they featured par timers, except Punk and Cena. The issue here is that all the storylines end abruptly because Rocks gotta make movies, Taker gotta go home and watch UFC and Lesnar gotta go home and chop some wood. So not only are the matches, especially this year predictable, but also pointless, there is no outcome. The point of wrestling and TV is to make you want to watch the next show "what will happen OMG!?", but there is none of that here because of the part timers who were brought in because the current guys are not over.

Even if the Rock won it would not have mattered, that is a bigger problem than a heel turn. This is like a Oldies NBA All Star game with oldies like Jordan and Barkley, it does not matter whether Jordan or Barkley win, since they are gone.

No basketball fan sits in excitement over who is going to win the All Star game, they (we, since i am one) just watch to see cool dunks and some shenanigans, whether East or West win, does not matter really. And that is precisely what Wrestlemania has become the last few years

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Its really bad when, at your biggest show of all time, you have to protect your so called "face" with loud music and quickly get him out of the ring because you know that is not what the fans what. Its Eric Bischoff WCW mid 90s

Hogan's heat wasn't as scorching, Cena's heat has been volcanic for ages now.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to be on the floor at Raw tomorrow night. Hopefully that should be fun. I'm hoping the best parts of tonight's crowd show up there.

Anth0ny

I'm going to be on the floor at Raw tomorrow night. Hopefully that should be fun. I'm hoping the best parts of tonight's crowd show up there.

Seems like the hardcore fans stick around for the Raw the night after Mania.

The crowd at last years post-Mania Raw... Jesus.

Toki767

Hopefully tomorrow's crowd just chants "Boring" or "Go Away" during Cena's victory speech or whatever he does tomorrow.

So what is the deal with Cena NOT turning heel? If WWE knows he's getting booed all the time, I mean, what's the point? They turned Slaughter into a heel when he was at the height of his popularity, why not turn Cena?

FyreWulff

So what is the deal with Cena NOT turning heel? If WWE knows he's getting booed all the time, I mean, what's the point? They turned Slaughter into a heel when he was at the height of his popularity, why not turn Cena?

Merchandise

Cena will turn heel once his merch sales start slowing down/dropping

Into

It is also apparent that Hunter is simply not that big of a star, he has a string of WM matches where the crowd sat on their hands throughout. Lesnar now, infamous Jericho match, Orton match and many more. People only care about his matches when he faces a big star like Taker, Rock or Austin. He alone, simply cannot make people care

People always said that he got big pops back in the day when he returned from his quad, yeah he did, but in that era even Mr. Ass got a huge pop, even Xpac got a pop.

And the knee-jerk reaction and counter argument that "those are just wrestling fans on the internet who hate him because of backstage powerzz" is wrong. The thousands of people at the stadiums just do not care.

We saw that with the promos leading up to this match, when Hunter was in the ring trying to sell this match on last few RAW's people just did not react. He is not a big star, despite WWE touting him as one (for obvious reasons).

Striker

Easier to do when you can lean on Warrior and Hogan.

They have no one else to really build on. Even when Hogan went heel in WCW, they still sold buckets of nWo merch. It would be nice if they've built up a quality number of faces so they can push a higher caliber heel into.

When they turned Austin heel in 2000, their profits plummeted and they're gun shy of that happening again.

Toki767

It is also apparent that Hunter is simply not that big of a star, he has a string of WM matches where the crowd sat on their hands throughout. Lesnar now, infamous Jericho match, Orton match and many more. People only care about his matches when he faces a big star like Taker, Rock or Austin. He alone, simply cannot make people care

People always said that he got big pops back in the day when he returned from his quad, yeah he did, but in that era even Mr. Ass got a huge pop, even Xpac got a pop.

And the knee-jerk reaction and counter argument that "those are just wrestling fans on the internet who hate him because of backstage powerzz" is wrong. The thousands of people at the stadiums just do not care.

We saw that with the promos leading up to this match, when Hunter was in the ring trying to sell this match on last few RAW's people just did not react. He is not a big star, despite WWE touting him as one (for obvious reasons).

No matter how great everyone keeps saying HHH is, the fact is he was never on Austin's or Rock's level. He's not even on Undertaker's or HBK's level. He's like on that third tier of top guys.

When Brock beat him at SummerSlam, the crowd was singing the goodbye song to him. That's how little the crowd really cares about him. They pop for nostalgia and then that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom