• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The August 2010 Thread

Whats the name of that one game that was a beat em' up with Pit Fighter digitized graphics? It was English or French or something. I remember having a good laugh at that one.

edit:

Streets if Fury

And this post catches me up.

ちえりのドキ★ドキ湯煙ぶらり旅 or, that hot spring game. It's a lot of fun, even though I struggled with the controls, pressing the opposite direction I wanted to shoot in. Still though, it didn't take long to adjust and it's funny and... er... fun.

Run Rectangle! Jump! Shoot! was a surprise. It looks terrible and the lead "character" is about as lazily made as I've ever seen. Like how people keep using smiley faces as characters in 2D platformers 'cause they can't animate a run cycle. Anyway, the platforming is good and there's a fair amount of levels within, including some bonus levels for earning in-game awards.

Solar Struggle looks incredible. Really, really nice to look at. It's a game set in space where you pilot your ship around and complete missions and shoot at stuff and stuff. Flying around is lovely, combat is less so as enemy ships move so fast it's hard to hit them, and boring after a while as you just auto-fire and swing around wildly and accidentally hit them now and then until they die. If you can get the hang of it though, a great game is within.

Spatial Rift looks incredible. Really, really nice to look at. It's a game set in space where you pilot your ship around and complete missions and shoot at stuff and stuff. Flying around is lovely, combat is less so as enemy ships move so fast it's hard to hit them, and boring after a while as you just auto-fire and swing around wildly and accidentally hit them now and then until they die. If you can get the hang of it though, a great game is within. Eagle-eyed readers may notice some similarities to the description of the game above, they honestly could be the same game.

Sword of Rapier -ソード オブ レイピア- is an action-RPG that reminds me of Net Yaroze games of old, for some reason. It looks a bit 32-bit, I suppose. Anyway, not much to say about it, combat is quite satisfying but I didn't get to see much of the game because the trial timed out too soon. It's all in Japanese though, and prior posts in this thread suggest that could cause problems with knowing what to do later!

Smiley Smashout is a novel idea. You blow up a smiley and every smiley it hits blows up and every smiley THAT hits blows up, etc. Far too random though, and you can't actually plan what your shot will do, all you can do is press A and cross your fingers, then keep doing it. That's not a game.

Poker Stacker 2 confused me. You just line up cards that fall from the top into Poker hands and then the line disappears. You can make a line disappear with just a pair and if you don't manage to get at least a pair there's something wrong with you. Needs a better scoring mechanic, or some kind of skill-based element before it even begins to be a game.

Return of the Noose is a poor-looking horizontal shooter which has nothing to do with Hangman but mentions it at every turn, for some reason. I didn't get it. The shooting is pretty poor. Enemies fly across the screen too fast for you to kill most of them which makes the whole experience fairly annoying.

Sidewalk Sally is a game you know is going to be bad as soon as you see the box-art. You're not quite prepared for how bad, though. You press A to skate and then X or Y to jump over cracks in the pavement, or small obstacles. That's it. The timing is all weird so you'll fall over most of the time anyway but even if you don't, the game doesn't track any kind of score at all so it's a complete waste of time.

Spherendipity. Move a ball around to knock balls into other balls. There's not really enough going on here.

Super Tricky is a football/soccer keepy-uppy kinda game. Decent enough controls once you get used to them, with the left stick moving and the right one controlling different parts of the body. There's not much to keep you interested beyond the first level though, there must be a better way to make this kind of game with more impressive tricks, etc. The thing that stuck with me though was the bizarre (surely) made up quotes when you look at the "other games" section. All the dev's games appear to have received 5/5 ratings, including a virtual fishtank. Weird.

The Endless Abyss is an RPG that's not pretty. Also, wasn't much to do before the trial expired. You just wander round until you happen across a yellow triangle that lets you leave that area for the next, then keep doing so. Maybe there's more game later.

Zombie Arena. Your avatar stands in one place and spins around to shoot at zombies which approach. Isn't remotely satisfying to play because there's no real feeling of weight to your shots.

沈黙の磁石 could have been great but it lets itself down a bit by being too tough to control. Alls ya do is bounce yourself between magnets by switching polarity but it's quite hard to ensure you're flung in the right direction so you spend most of the time replaying the same shots until you get lucky.

Kafel

Banned
http://catalog.xna.com/fr-FR/GameDe...d=ddafaf68-c2be-4caf-a8ed-d8a0fb96f321&type=2

"Fish Squid Time Machine is scary and loud. Also the controller often vibrates. I hear that's called rumbling. There is a donkey. I'm not sure why. I have heard that you control the fish squid, but this is not readily apparent." - Lan , doesn't play games, age 30. FSTM interbreeds the ****** ****** and SYNSO series, for www.indiekombat.com. Each button controls a different player. FSTM <3 U

:lol

Okay I figured out where I went wrong in Sword and Rapier. Turns out I was in the right dungeon but I forgot to go down this one path and talk to someone first. After I did that the boss appeared.

I think I'm at the final leg of the game.

EDIT: And whoop that's the end. Review for Sword of Rapier is up.

One of my friends bough Aphelion and I went and bought it too. We both think it's pretty good so far. Thumbs up.

qupe1975

Neo Member
People need to buy Magnectic Wars. Yes it's another twin stick shooter but it has a twist and is done very well. Basically your left and right triggers operate a positive/negative magnetism that can either repel some bullets or some enemies depending on their colour. Also the way the levels play out is all handled well. 10 levels and 4 difficulites, each level with a Boss. I have just played through easy, Level 4 provided the hardest challenge on that difficulty because the magnetism is used in a different way on this level. Check out the trailer and purchase the game. Definitely worth 80pts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrgoZPpYCmA

Fish Squid Time Machine would be awesome if it was actually a game.

Magnetic Wars is quite cute, will probably buy.

Avatar Orbitroid is a semi-decent shooter, sort of like Galaga wrapped round a sphere. Can be a bit hard to see what's going on, though.

I also tried a racing game called Drag Something-or-other, which was terrible.

Magnetic Wars is great, but I found it really hard. You can attract and repel bullets (think a bit like Ikaruga) by switching the polarity of your ship. It's a nice looking twin-stick, it's fun, it's hard, but I think it'd have been improved if the polarities were much better illustrated, it's sometimes not clear what's happening.

Snake Death is short, but was pretty good for it's duration. You play Snake, but rather than collecting food to grow, you have to navigate through a level to an exit. It's tough, it's ugly, but it was interesting.

Fish squid time machine is SYNSO mixed with ****** ******, which I've typed even though NeoGAF censors it which baffles me. At first, you'll think "what the fuck (not censored) is this?" and then it makes more and more sense. You turn one way and pressing a button turns you the other, so you can use this mechanic to go forwards. You have to collect small fish and avoid big dark ones, as far as I can work out. People will enjoy this the same way people enjoy Space Giraffe. It looks mental and incomprehensible, but if you stick with it you'll probably get some huge scores.

Stormgate is Tower Defence with an interesting gimmick, depending on your performance you earn points to build a city, and doing so earns you more money for more towers. Unfortunately, the controls are so unresponsive that it's barely playable. I shouldn't have to press left 12 times and still not have moved a square left. Would have been pretty cool otherwise.

Drag Impact is notable only because its help screen contains some of the longest sentences ever written in English. Almost English. The game itself has you drag racing and trying to boost ahead of other cars so you can blow them up. It's too zoomed in and too fast to really make a proper go of it.

Bloop has the nerve to call itself a puzzle game which is probably my biggest pet-hate in gaming. Just because you have to match three things the same colour doesn't make you a puzzle, you're an action game. Tetris is an action game. Anyway, you shoot coloured balls at your opponents rock and try to match three to blow it up. You can also shoot at your opponent to stun them. Gameplay is kind of a mess, the arena is far too small and the shots bounce off walls too much so every other shot you just accidentally stun yourself. Not a lot of fun.

Avatar Orbitroid is an avatar game with ambition, I'll at least give it that. It does a terrible job of explaining what you have to do though, when you've got that much going on static help screens just confuse the player, you need a tutorial level. Anyway, you orbit a planet and shoot waves of enemies for points, with bonuses depending on if you do so perfectly or not. This bit I like. There was a power-up shooting at me for some unexplained reason, didn't like that so much. Then I got a game over for doing what the help screen implied would win me the level, that's the bit I liked the least. No idea.

(The game is called F-i-s-h-i-e F-i-s-h-i-e. Beats me.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
toythatkills said:
Fish squid time machine is SYNSO mixed with ****** ******, which I've typed even though NeoGAF censors it which baffles me.

Yeah, that's a story from looooong before I got here, I wouldn't worry about it :p

Spyn Doctor

Neo Member
I know it's September already, so I don't know if this is the correct thread (I didn't see a Sept thread, is there one already? or is this bi-monthly?).

[EDIT: Ah, found the September thread. Don't know how I missed it the first time!? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405872]

Anyway, you should check out radiangames Inferno:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/games/m...66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550638&p=1&of=0

Doc

xboxboxart.jpg

screen1_Web.jpg

Top Bottom