• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

im_dany

I think a lot of people missed the part that says he's not working for Sony anymore.

He's still wrong though: BC isn't just good now, but it's going to stay forever. Xb4 will run 360 games but PS5 probably won't run PS3 games

amdb00mer

On the subject of everybody wants it but no one uses it.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gam...all-Duty-Red-Dead-Redemption-Sonic-Duke-Nukem

More at the link. I know few of us care but is he right? Do most gamers not really want to play old games?

If Sony does not care, then why do they CHARGE their PS4 owners to use old games via PSNOW. At least with X1 BC you can use the digital or physical copy you already own. Also all 360 games had achievements from day 1, so need to re-buy a game at $10 or $15 just for trophies.

Hasney

If Sony does not care, then why do they CHARGE their PS4 owners to use old games via PSNOW. At least with X1 BC you can use the digital or physical copy you already own. Also all 360 games had achievements from day 1, so need to re-buy a game at $10 or $15 just for trophies.

He doesn't work for Sony anymore. It's just one dude giving an opinion.

Figments

I want old games to remain available on new hardware.

I'm also still waiting for OG Xbox compatibility.

I will always be waiting.

muzzymate

Yup, can't disagree more. For a console that has been around for more than 10 years now and that I made countless digital purchases on, as a consumer I expect backwards compatibility. I was ecstatic when they announced the program and it's only gotten better. The very first iPhone game I purchased on a 3GS still works on my 6S and I still play it to this day. Why should I expect anything differently?

It's been fantastic being able to play Lumines Live, Pacman CE, Battleblock Theater, etc. again with the modern conveniences of the new platforms for no direct cost to me.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
FWIW I finished my Dark Souls playthrough on XB1 instead of 360 because I like the controller more.

Hasney

FWIW I finished my Dark Souls playthrough on XB1 instead of 360 because I like the controller more.

Yeah, that's a huge thing. Waiting for someone to hack XB1 controller support into PS4 remote play and I might end up taking the resolution hit to use my Elite... Will also mean I could finish Need for Speed on PS4 since it keeps thinking I'm not fully accelerating.

BradC00

watching gears4 on twitch made me get an itch to play gears3. they need to fix the controller latency (maybe it's just the framerate, not sure)

Gestault

The statement "Players don´t want old games, they only want new games" is just ridiculous on so many levels

1) Sony did more remasters of PS3 games than MS of their games.
2) Sony also brings back old games from the PS2 and also charges for them (again)
3) Sony has PS Now (and charges for that)

I think it's a silly opinion (arguing for fewer games available on a platform in general), but he might think it's just as much a waste of resources there, too.

Syriel

Right, but the issue is that every other physical game I have ever installed has used the disc to install the game data, the Gears games only allow me to install the entirety of the game data digitally instead of using the disc.

For example, Halo: Reach and Left 4 Dead 2 installed within minutes because they installed the game data from the disc.

All BC games are downloaded from the server.

I'm not really sure. It's an odd game. It's only worth 600 achievement points and putting the Disc in your system downloads XBLA DOOM & DOOM 2.

They did 600 for the main game, because Doom and Doom 2 (which are included on the disc) both had 200 each, so a total of 1000 achievement points for the content on the retail disc.

Max_Po

Banned

SONY acquired dat Streaming Data Company to put out PSNOW for 380 million US.

money does not cometh through thou arse !

Estocolmo

Yea we all know every single PS4 owner bought every single PS2 re release.

Xbox One solution is the best. BC works for Xbox 360 games you own digitally or disc. If you dont own the game, you can buy Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One store.

And if you pay for Gold, you can get games for gold games Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

zerotol

Banned
I'm pretty out of the loop as far as gaming news goes recently, but is there any info about when Skate 3 and Bioshock 1 and 2 are coming to backwards compatibility?

Metzhara

Did you make sure to check the 3D option in your X1 video settings?

He's right. Mine doesn't work either. My Xbox One has 3D enabled AND the X360 (still connected to the same entertainment center) has it.
I think the digital version doesn't have the 3D option... for some reason.
(B4 "It's on disc", they're all "digital"; Only applicable to those who didn't already know.)
Come to think of it, I don't immediately recall ANY Xbox One game that has 3D. Is there one?

He's right. Mine doesn't work either. My Xbox One has 3D enabled AND the X360 (still connected to the same entertainment center) has it.
I think the digital version doesn't have the 3D option... for some reason.
(B4 "It's on disc", they're all "digital"; Only applicable to those who didn't already know.)
Come to think of it, I don't immediately recall ANY Xbox One game that has 3D. Is there one?

I dunno about XB1 games but Gears 3 has it on the XB1

Vormund

I'm pretty out of the loop as far as gaming news goes recently, but is there any info about when Skate 3 and Bioshock 1 and 2 are coming to backwards compatibility?

Yeah I'm waiting on Skate 3....already have it on PS3, but tempted to pick it up so I can do some streaming/recording. I'm so crap at it, so it would be worth a laugh.

edit: Tekken Tag Tournament 2 had 3D, but I think it was disabled when you play it on XB1.

amdb00mer

SONY acquired dat Streaming Data Company to put out PSNOW for 380 million US.

money does not cometh through thou arse !

Nobody expects Sony to offer the streaming for free, but people who already own these games should not have to pay rental fees just to play them on their PS4. What if somebody sold their PS3 to help buy a PS4, but kept some of their favorite games or have digital versions of games. They are being told if they want to continue to play them they need to keep or buy another PS3 or pay for the streaming service, even to play games they already bought. So nobody is asking for Sony lose money out their "arse", but to simply make sure people are not charged twice for games they already own or to pay a streaming rental fee for games they already own.

speedomodel

Nobody expects Sony to offer the streaming for free, but people who already own these games should not have to pay rental fees just to play them on their PS4. What if somebody sold their PS3 to help buy a PS4, but kept some of their favorite games or have digital versions of games. They are being told if they want to continue to play them they need to keep or buy another PS3 or pay for the streaming service, even to play games they already bought. So nobody is asking for Sony lose money out their "arse", but to simply make sure people are not charged twice for games they already own or to pay a streaming rental fee for games they already own.

My understanding was PSNOW was never meant as true BC, but more for new people joining the Sony system. People switching over from Xbox 360 who never played Uncharted, Infamous, Killzone and whatever all have the chance to play the games they missed out, especially if there are sequels to said games on the PS4. I don't think Sony ever really intended for it to be an option for playing one's old games...

Hasney

OK, so what's the solution? Streaming costs money, especially with running a PS3 in their infrastructure. PS3 emulation is likely not possible as the PS3 architecture was both a beast and a mess.

If the XBox wasn't MS, I doubt they'd be able to do the 360 virtual machine even. Their experience with the software and technology is really what made it possible.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they are holding Bioshock until after the remastered collection has been released.

EvB

Just caught:

Oblivion
Dishonored (360)
Skate 3
Costume Quest 2
Fallout NV
Castle of Illusion
South Park Tenorman's Revenge
Frogger

Varg

Banned
I'll tell you what man... They don't make games like symphony of the night anymore... I was so excited to play it agin with BC on Xbox one . I never was able to beat the game as a child but oh how I had so many memories playing it with my dad. It felt good beating the game last night and getting every achievement . So glad Microsoft went with this BC.

this is a bit off topic but your games still work on the PS3 so...play them on there? I kept my PS3 because Sony was up front about no BC so if anyone parted with their machine and is now hoping for a BC solution that was never promised and likely to never be delivered then, really, it's on that person.

PSNow is not a BC service, it's a online streaming rental platform. It's a different thing altogether, really.

Just caught:

Oblivion
Dishonored (360)
Skate 3
Costume Quest 2
Fallout NV
Castle of Illusion
South Park Tenorman's Revenge
Frogger

man, when is MS going to get around to the games they announced november of last year? Skate 3 would be one of them but im over here still waiting for blops to happen ::shrugs::

EBreda

Castle of Illusion remake is awesome, hope EvB is right.
Ducktales is also a great remaster, hopefully it will be supported as well.

Rellik

I never finished Skate 3 (My own fault for burning myself out on the series) so I'd love to get that on BC and play through it.

Top Bottom