• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

DirtyLarry

I just picked up The Revenant 4K off Amazon. Will have it Friday. I also own the BluRay itself. I need to see what the deal is.

Are you 100% sure it is not upscaling 1080p? I am legit asking, as my non 4K UHD copy of Deadpool also displays at 2160p, the One upscales it to 2160p. And it looks good no doubt, I was just hoping I was going to experience native 2160p.

Okay, this is good to know. I thought because all of the other settings were the Red Circle with the Line through it, it meant we actually would not be seeing native resolution with a 4K UHD disk. If this is the case I am not as disappointed. This is where I am still confused. I thought we had to have at least one of the settings checked off to actually take advantage of true 4K BluRays.

I am seeing if GameFly has any 4K BluRays to rent and if not I will probably pick one up. Perhaps either Deadpool or The Revenant as I do own both in the standard BluRay. I will happily report back once I do.

That pic you posted earlier...the main 4k@60 is checked right? That means for the UHD player it will display native for 4k content....just be sure it's a 4k ultra hd disc for the player.

ZOONAMI

Are you 100% sure it is not upscaling 1080p? I am legit asking, as my non 4K UHD copy of Deadpool also displays at 2160p, the One upscales it to 2160p. And it looks good no doubt, I was just hoping I was going to experience native 2160p.

Okay, this is good to know. I thought because all of the other settings were the Red Circle with the Line through it, it meant we actually would not be seeing native resolution with a 4K UHD disk. If this is the case I am not as disappointed. This is where I am still confused. I thought we had to have at least one of the settings checked off to actually take advantage of true 4K BluRays.

I am seeing if GameFly has any 4K BluRays to rent and if not I will probably pick one up. Perhaps either Deadpool or The Revenant as I do own both in the standard BluRay. I will happily report back once I do.

Yes, 100% sure. 4k pure direct is activated on my tv, which should only happen if it's receiving a 4:4:4 4k signal, which a regular bluray has never done and doesn't do with a regular bluray in the xbox. Just tested it with planet of the apes. And it looks a shit ton better than an upscaled regular bluray.

ZOONAMI

Ok cool, Ive pretty much just turned it on and started redownloading a bunch of games so far. I wish they would download at like 700mb/s like my steam does, this 35ish is brutal, haha.

Jesus, wish I had your internet. My xbox downloads at about 30 too though lol.

DirtyLarry

So I guess that The Revenant is the movie to buy to show off the capabilities. I'll keep that in mind.
I just picked it as it is the movie I have watched the least. Hope it is good. LOL

That pic you posted earlier...the main 4k@60 is checked right? That means for the UHD player it will display native for 4k content....just be sure it's a 4k ultra hd disc for the player.
Yep, definitely the 4K Ultra Disk I ordered. The Revenant [4K UHD Blu-ray]. And it was $8 more!! Haha

Many thanks DirtyLarry!! I would really really like to know.
Me too! Good news is I have done multimedia/web design for 15 years now, and resolution has always been a part of the process, so I am very familiar with it as well. So if there is a big difference, I will be able to tell.

Yes, 100% sure. 4k pure direct is activated on my tv, which should only happen if it's receiving a 4:4:4 4k signal, which a regular bluray has never done and doesn't do with a regular bluray in the xbox. Just tested it with planet of the apes. And it looks a shit ton better than an upscaled regular bluray.
Okay cool. Like I said, was just making sure. And wait, they have POTA in 4k????? I did not see it. I would have gotten it no doubt. Shit, now back to Amazon.

So in a completely unrelated but related note, is anyone having an issue where their cable box (if you have one), loses video for a brief second? I had it WAY back when they first launched the One Guide, but have not seen it in at least a year. It is back with a vengeance right now, and if I am watching anything through my cable box the image just drops out for about a second, audio still plays, then comes back. It cannot happen for 20 minutes, it can happen 4 times in a minute. No rhyme for reason. Only seems to be when I use Live TV. Did not happen when I checked out a BluRay before.
No shit it just happened at least 5 times as I was typing this. Again, I saw it about a year ago, if not longer, on the original One, but one of the updates eventually resolved it. Looks like I need an update.

ZOONAMI

I just picked it as it is the movie I have watched the least. Hope it is good. LOL

Yep, definitely the 4K Ultra Disk I ordered. The Revenant [4K UHD Blu-ray]. And it was $8 more!! Haha

Me too! Good news is I have done multimedia/web design for 15 years now, and resolution has always been a part of the process, so I am very familiar with it as well. So if there is a big difference, I will be able to tell.

Okay cool. Like I said, was just making sure. And wait, they have POTA in 4k????? I did not see it. I would have gotten it no doubt. Shit, now back to Amazon.

So in a completely unrelated but related note, is anyone having an issue where their cable box (if you have one), loses video for a brief second? I had it WAY back when they first launched the One Guide, but have not seen it in at least a year. It is back with a vengeance right now, and if I am watching anything through my cable box the image just drops out for about a second, audio still plays, then comes back. It cannot happen for 20 minutes, it can happen 4 times in a minute. No rhyme for reason. Only seems to be when I use Live TV. Did not happen when I checked out a BluRay before.
No shit it just happened at least 5 times as I was typing this. Again, I saw it about a year ago, if not longer, on the original One, but one of the updates eventually resolved it. Looks like I need an update.

No was saying I tested a non uhd br to confirm. Far as I know pota has no 4k br.

I like the physical disc eject button even more. I can't tell you how many times I fumbled in the dark trying to hit the touch eject just right on my og xbo.

OMG I agree with you 100%. I thought I was just spastic or something.

As soon as a black S is released, it will be mine. REALLY looking forward to physical buttons.

ZOONAMI

As soon as a black S is released, it will be mine. REALLY looking forward to physical buttons.

I thought the white would be jarring with all my black other stuff but it actually looks slick as hell and is a total showpiece.

It does stand out but in a good way.

Jesus, wish I had your internet. My xbox downloads at about 30 too though lol.

I think im actually confused about what the xbox is actually downloading at Mb vs MB. And I get 7MB on steam, not 700Mb, so Im super dumb. I just knew it was a 7 something, and that it was fast, but couldnt remember what it was, haha.

BUT its still slower, 7MB would be 56Mb according to a google calculator I just found. So its not as bad as I thought, but I would still like to be up towards 50Mb/s.

So anyway, Im stupid and numbers are hard.

Hey I've always preferred black as well but there's something about this that just looks right. It's probably the fact that when vertical the console basically looks half-and-half with the black bottom exposed. I've never liked all white but the white and black design looks fan-fucking-tastic!

QuikNez

What's the verdict from those who already own a big daddy X1... Is it worth it?

I've read the reviews and consumer rationale, I'm asking from a Xbox Gaffer point of view.

Bsigg12

What's the verdict from those who already own a big daddy X1... Is it worth it?

I've read the reviews and consumer rationale, I'm asking from a Xbox Gaffer point of view.

If you have a 4K TV, absolutely. The performance boost isn't enough to justify buying it on that alone, but damn is it a nice console.

QuikNez

If you have a 4K TV, absolutely. The performance boost isn't enough to justify buying it on that alone, but damn is it a nice console.

That's my problem the white compact aesthetic is making it hard for my superficial ass to turn down.

I feel like I want it just to stare at it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Now that I've had some solid time with this device, I have to say I'm really impressed. Beautiful hardware and a really nice OS (though, a little confusing at first). The only thing that is a letdown are the install times for games. Not sure why that hasn't improved.

Keep in mind, it's been over 2 years since I had an Xbox One.

I can only imagine how different this generation would be had Microsoft launched this beauty back in 2013.

Now that I've had some solid time with this device, I have to say I'm really impressed. Beautiful hardware and a really nice OS (though, a little confusing at first). The only thing that is a letdown are the install times for games. Not sure why that hasn't improved.

Keep in mind, it's been over 2 years since I had an Xbox One.

I can only imagine how different this generation would be had Microsoft launched this beauty back in 2013.
Gotta be that slow 5400rpm drive. Try an external USB 3.0 drive and you'll see faster install times for disc based games.

DirtyLarry

No was saying I tested a non uhd br to confirm. Far as I know pota has no 4k br.
What threw me off is you said it "looks a shit ton better than a "regular" upscaled BluRay, but looking back I see you were also referring to the original XBox One. Yes, that did not upscale BluRays. That goes without saying the older XBox do not upscale BluRays no?

I've been playing it and it seems silky smooth to me, but I never played it on an original One.

It has a locked.60fps and dynamically scales the resolution to keep it 60fps.

Wonder if anyone will test and see if it holds a higher.res(frame buffer) than the og.

ZOONAMI

What threw me off is you said it "looks a shit ton better than a "regular" upscaled BluRay, but looking back I see you were also referring to the original XBox One. Yes, that did not upscale BluRays. That goes without saying the older XBox do not upscale BluRays no?

Revenant looks a shit ton better than an upscaled regular bluray. Your TV would handle the scaling, so yes a regular xbox one playing a bluray would be upscaled.

malfcn

Should I make more colors?

wP80Xvm.png

Dolobill

Navigating Steam Big Picture Mode is completely screwed up using this controller. My games are working fine but in the Big Picture menus the face buttons are doing all kinds of crazy things. For example, A will both act as select but also bring up the virtual keyboard. X briefly opens the keyboard then closes it. B just keep looping the same page as if it's closing and opening the page simultaneously. I checked the controller configuration in Steam and everything looks okay. I don't understand at all.

Anyone else experiencing a weird issue trying to shut the console down, where the controller stays on past the shutdown and prompts it to turn right back on after it completes its initial shutdown? The guide button isn't jamming or anything because I can use the system to turn the controller on/off without any issues. Just seems like the power on the controller is persisting past the shut down process.

This occurs both when I use the physical power button and when I select the "Turn console off" option from the Xbox One guide, but doesn't seem to happen all the time. Sometimes it seems like the controller does get signaled by the console to turn completely off. It's also happening only with my pack-in new controller. My Elite controller is working just fine.

catmincer

I went yolo and bought it. I am going to move out soon and likely get a new tv so figured I'll future proof and get the newest Xbox One. When Scorpio comes out I can upgrade then to that. It's so cute and the white is different to my original Xbox One.

mrg6290

I really want to purchase one but I can't handle a white component in my entertainment center. Really hoping they put out a black one before the holidays or Colorware lowers their prices.

Spasm

It has a locked.60fps and dynamically scales the resolution to keep it 60fps.

Wonder if anyone will test and see if it holds a higher.res(frame buffer) than the og.

DF should do the Warzone intros. I can already tell they play a lot smoother on the S. On the original, it's frame-drop city.

Head.spawn

How complex is implementing HDR into existing titles? Can games be patched to take advantage of that or is it something that would need to be implemented from the start?

etta

my hard graphic balls
How complex is implementing HDR into existing titles? Can games be patched to take advantage of that or is it something that would need to be implemented from the start?
As I am aware developers who have been using PBR for the last few years have already done their assets in HDR, but they went through a lot of work to manipulate those colors to look good on SDR.
So it would take a lot of work to revert that work?

I think im actually confused about what the xbox is actually downloading at Mb vs MB. And I get 7MB on steam, not 700Mb, so Im super dumb. I just knew it was a 7 something, and that it was fast, but couldnt remember what it was, haha.

BUT its still slower, 7MB would be 56Mb according to a google calculator I just found. So its not as bad as I thought, but I would still like to be up towards 50Mb/s.

So anyway, Im stupid and numbers are hard.

I'm downloading with almost 15 Megabytes/second. A GB takes me ~60 seconds to download.

Hawk269

Awww shit! Now comes the super tedious moving files over.. ugh, wish I could select more than one game at a time.

What you do is select the first one and begin the move, then immediately select the next game and begin that move and then move to the next game. It basically will put them all in a que, so you can walk away or read Gaf while it is copying games over. Although I have a 5tb external, I still wanted to put some games on the internal, so I just stacked like 12 games in a row and walked away to let it do it's thing.

I also want to test the speed of the internal being that it is using Sata III instead of Sata 2.

Top Bottom