• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Xbudz

What you do is select the first one and begin the move, then immediately select the next game and begin that move and then move to the next game. It basically will put them all in a que, so you can walk away or read Gaf while it is copying games over. Although I have a 5tb external, I still wanted to put some games on the internal, so I just stacked like 12 games in a row and walked away to let it do it's thing.

I also want to test the speed of the internal being that it is using Sata III instead of Sata 2.

I have 168 Games. FML lol

aember

Hey guys, got a question: the S just needs a simple power cable, like the PS4, right?

I've been thinking of importing it (we have people from the office on a constant rotation to the US, so it'd be here pretty quick) because I doubt it'll be available for sale in my country anytime soon, plus the price will be insane, and was wondering how's the power situation.

My PS4 is from the US and I just have a simple adapter that I stick on the end of the cable to go from US outlets to EU and I haven't had any issues since I got it (over a year now). Would that also work for the S? Or do you reckon there'd be more trickery involved?

SOR5

Hey guys, got a question: the S just needs a simple power cable, like the PS4, right?

I've been thinking of importing it (we have people from the office on a constant rotation to the US, so it'd be here pretty quick) because I doubt it'll be available for sale in my country anytime soon, plus the price will be insane, and was wondering how's the power situation.

My PS4 is from the US and I just have a simple adapter that I stick on the end of the cable to go from US outlets to EU and I haven't had any issues since I got it (over a year now). Would that also work for the S? Or do you reckon there'd be more trickery involved?

Now the power supply sticker says 110-240v so i'm going to assume, that it IS a universal PSU, therefore you should be able to use whatever adapter you want.

But this one I'm not too sure.

Awww shit! Now comes the super tedious moving files over.. ugh, wish I could select more than one game at a time.

Congrats on your new Slim, dude! So happy that I don't have to transfer any files when I get mine...lol. Doing that when I swapped my PS4 hard drive for a 2 TB one took forever, because it was nearly maxed out.

Looking forward to downloading 40 GB worth of updates for Halo 5 before I'm able to play it with my buddies...lol. I did miss playing Halo, though! Hopefully my connection will be fast enough to get it done in under a day.

Grechy34

Howdy all,

I have a 4K monitor which has display port only. If I can watch 4K movies on it somehow through the Xbox One S I'll pick one up otherwise I'll just hold out for Scorpio and pick up a new TV then. Is it possible to connect the Xbox One somehow to the monitor?

Fredrik

Tempted, but not yet. I love Epson's projectors (TW9200 hangs at my ceiling) but these two aren't really 4K though, they're 1080p native with some clever pixel shifting image processing, they're accepting the 4K input but aren't really outputting true 4K. Still tempted though, they're a lot cheaper than other 4K projectors and going back to watching movies on a TV is not really an option anymore.

Xbudz

One downfall to the One S is that my TV only has one HDMI port than can do 4K @ 60hz, all other ports are 4K @ 30hz, so my PC and Xbox must fight over that port... and there are no proper HDMI switches that can handle 4K @ 60hz without degrading the signal (4:2:0 color).. Sad. Not sure what else to do besides wait for better switch tech.

MCD

One downfall to the One S is that my TV only has one HDMI port than can to 4K @ 60hz, all other ports are 4K @ 30hz, so my PC and Xbox must fight over that port... and there are no proper HDMI switches that can handle 4K @ 60hz without degrading the signal (4:2:0 color).. Sadness.

What set is that? Kinda worried about my Sammy KS8500 now.

I guess a solution would be AV receiver.

Now the power supply sticker says 110-240v so i'm going to assume, that it IS a universal PSU, therefore you should be able to use whatever adapter you want.

But this one I'm not too sure.

I can confirm the US console works in China which uses 220v.

Howdy all,

I have a 4K monitor which has display port only. If I can watch 4K movies on it somehow through the Xbox One S I'll pick one up otherwise I'll just hold out for Scorpio and pick up a new TV then. Is it possible to connect the Xbox One somehow to the monitor?

Not possible, HDMI and DisplayPort utilize different digital signal format, you can't do a "up convert" (HDMI to DP) without a signal converter, and to my knowledge there is no converter chip that is capable of doing 4K30Hz with HDCP2.2 atm.

Howdy all,

You're going to need HDCP 2.2. So while you might somehow get the 4K signal in there, for movies especially it won't work because it won't support the copy protection.

Xbudz

I'll have to look into AV receivers I suppose. Hot swapping HDMI cables is going to get old real fast for me. My TV is the 2015 Vizio M50-C1.

Fredrik

I'll have to look into AV receivers I suppose. Hot swapping HDMI cables is going to get old real fast for me. My TV is the 2015 Vizio M50-C1.
Yup an AVR is perfect for HDMI switching, even my 5 or so year old receiver has 7 inputs and 2 outputs. Just be careful when using thick HDMI cables if there is a risk anyone might move the receiver, since there are no screws like on DVI ports you can easily break the connectors from the force of the cable, I've damaged 2 of the inputs on my AVR this way just by moving the TV/receiver bench when vacuuming :/ But at least now I have an excuse to upgrade ;)

vrln

Neo Member
Picked up my S from GameStop a few days ago...

Pros:

- New controller is great (finally wireless updating!), still the best in the business
- Power button is extremely important for pet owners... My cat learned to shut down the original Xbox One so I had to keep watch as I played.
- Horizontal positioning finally possible, saves a lot of space and I can hide the console behind the TV
- Very good looking, this is of course subjective but for me this is the most beautiful console design thus far. Hoping they keep the design language for the Scorpio.
- No more bulky humming power brick. While the original One was silent, the power brick often was not and kind of ruined the experience.This is how it should have been originally.
- Wireless is much better than on PS4. Getting more stable connections and higher download speeds.
- The 7% extra power is always nice to have, although it won´t be noticeable in the vast majority of games. I still like the fact they enabled it, for me it is a small selling point.
- 4K/HDR; still on a Panasonic plasma but good feature to have once I upgrade
- 2TB space: 1TB wasn´t enough for me as I tend to have a lot of stuff installed
- This isn´t really about the S, but it feels good to be back in the MS ecosystem again. The software side is for me on a completely different level than the PS4 and Xbox Live is also a superior service to PS Plus.

Cons:

- A bit louder than the original One. This is somewhat disappointing, but it´s still clearly more silent than the PS4 which I´ve always found annoyingly noisy.
- Failed to start from standby once and I had to reset power; hoping this won´t happen again.

All in all a very solid update. It won´t swing the tide in Microsoft´s favor, but builds a solid ground for the eventual Scorpio release. Looking forward to getting a 4K/HDR TV early next year. Bring on Scorpio!

Welp I have a 4k tv but I got it last year so it seems to not be good enough to do much of anything with the Xbox slim. only check mark I have is for watching Tv in 4k so Im not sure If I can even watch movies in 4k .

catmincer

I am maybe imagining this but I am convinced Dead or Alive 5 is no longer suffering slowdown on my s. It could also be my fat Xbox one is overheating

vrln

Neo Member
It would be interesting to see the original Battlefield 4 benchmarked on the S vs. classic. The framerate was all over the place fluctuating between 35 and 55. Just downloading it.

grizzelye

After watching Man of Steel (not bad 4K port, for non native), I was impressed. BVS not so much.

I tried Netflix and Blu Ray player apps on the S, and the thing that currently annoys me is after exiting the bluray app, the Xbox one s still sends a HDR signal so everything is crushed, I have to go into display settings and change something to put it back into non HDR.

Also running Netflix app, the Xbox doesn't turn on HDR sometimes, so I think I'll stick with the TV Netflix app.

Watching the two movies above (BVS especially), sometimes it seems like I'm watching a streamed version (?), as there is a outline around the characters, which I noticed whilst watching Marco Polo when my download speed drops. Dissapointed, I hope the studios improve on the UHD bluray format.

Also, welcome back audio track switching ;), had these annoying pauses back in the earlier bluray days

I believe HDR10 will be the standard, but I think Dolby vision is more superior (Dolby vision Marco Polo)

Edit: I'll watch dead pool and madmax tonight :)

tommyguns

Would really appreciate if someone could help with this...

If I go to my microsoft account and check under devices, it has TWO xbox ones listed. Both the exact serial number. One is named 'XBOX ONE' and it is set as the home console. The other is named 'TOMSXBOXONES' since that is what i named the xbox one s. This one is not marked home console even though it is the only xbox i own and am using.

Could anyone else check and see if they have 2 xbox's listed with the same serial number? It is strange. Thanks

Scrawnton

4K version of the revenant shows up today. Can't wait to watch it since all of my check marks are green with Xbone S compatibility.

Forcing my girlfriend to watch with me will be priceless.

Welp I have a 4k tv but I got it last year so it seems to not be good enough to do much of anything with the Xbox slim. only check mark I have is for watching Tv in 4k so Im not sure If I can even watch movies in 4k .

Why do people keep saying this. If you get the green check mark that says 4k@60 your 4k stuff will be native including 4k uhd disc. You just won't get the HDR feature.

Lima

4K version of the revenant shows up today. Can't wait to watch it since all of my check marks are green with Xbone S compatibility.

Forcing my girlfriend to watch with me will be priceless.

Don't force your girlfriend that watch that terrible pretentious movie. Do you hate her or something? No one should suffer like this.

Why do people keep saying this. If you get the green check mark that says 4k@60 your 4k stuff will be native including 4k uhd disc. You just won't get the HDR feature.

If I was getting checks for the movie section but not the HDR I would be fine. Only check I got was under TV. I may just of bought to early of a TV

c0de

Don't force your girlfriend that watch that terrible pretentious movie. Do you hate her or something? No one should suffer like this.

Well, that's a bit harsh but yes, the movie is way overhyped. The story is just a big WTF. But I can imagine the picture quality to be great.

DF should do the Warzone intros. I can already tell they play a lot smoother on the S. On the original, it's frame-drop city.

Yeah, i always thought it was some weird type of networking issue loading everyone in. But that intro is always JANKY, you don't even jump from the pelican, you kind of teleport out of it in mid air and fall. LOL

Bet the animation looks so off if someone could view it in theater lol

etta

my hard graphic balls
Eh, it wasn't that bad. The only bad thing about it is that they literally stretched a 30-minute story over 2 hours and 20 minutes.
The scenery shots were absolutely insane, which is why it makes a great candidate to show off 4K HDR.

Urishizu

Just jumping in here because I have the KS8000 and I had issues with juttering earlier in thi thread. On mine, there is a breakout box with multiple HDMI ports. I didn't realize that each port was "different" though and I accidentally plugged my Xbox One S into what was essentially a "legacy" port. This caused the juttering and other issues I experienced when first testing my Xbox One. Using the STB port (HDMI 1) is the way you want to go when you set it up. Just a heads up!

One downfall to the One S is that my TV only has one HDMI port than can do 4K @ 60hz, all other ports are 4K @ 30hz, so my PC and Xbox must fight over that port... and there are no proper HDMI switches that can handle 4K @ 60hz without degrading the signal (4:2:0 color).. Sad. Not sure what else to do besides wait for better switch tech.

I have the Sony XBR-X65x850B and when I check Sonys site it says that HDMI 1 or 2 are HDCP 2.2. Last Fall I bought a Denon receiver which does 4K pass through and I believe that the HDMI on there is HDCP 2.2. Obviously I won't get HDR since this set isn't HDR but UHD movies should look pretty good on my set? Kind of sucks I jumped on to 4K a year too early lol! But this set has had an amazing picture.

Harp

People keep saying HDR signal,does the S send an HDR single even without HDR content? Outside of UHD disk and Marco Polo there is very little HDr content. It would be really dumb if the console just stayed in HDr mode the entire time.

Impulsor

People keep saying HDR signal,does the S send an HDR single even without HDR content? Outside of UHD disk and Marco Polo there is very little HDr content. It would be really dumb if the console just stayed in HDr mode the entire time.

The TV is the one that switches to HDR and no, the Xbox One S does not send HDR signal unless the source is on HDR.

So currently it only tells the TV to switch to HDR when viewing 4K HDR blu rays or HDR enabled content on Netflix.

The rest of the time it is "only" on 4k without HDR unless your TV has a manual HDR+ mode to convert SDR content to HDR.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Ryan from IGN said the console enables and disables HDR as needed. He said when viewing an HDR 4K movie and then pausing and going to Home on the dashboard, the HDR would automatically turn off on the fly.

gamz

Yes, it would be dumb, but that's not the case.

It's reliant on the signal. It can't force an HDR signal or anything like that.

After picking up a new receiver and an Xbone S last night, I can safely say that 4K is mind-blowing. I just want to sit at home and watch movies on my 70" screen...

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well it doesn't include a Kinect, so I'm guessing that's why it says console only. As long as the they have the correct serial number, there shouldn't be any warranty issues. What's your worry exactly?
His OCD got triggered!

Jk, I'm sure they'll fix the naming once they find out about it.

Hanmik

Well it doesn't include a Kinect, so I'm guessing that's why it says console only. As long as the they have the correct serial number, there shouldn't be any warranty issues. What's your worry exactly?

I'm not worried (I don't own one).. But HDD console only.. makes it sound like it has no disc drive to me. It might be a name for an "upcoming" revision.. or more likely.. they planned to release the Xbox One S without a discdrive and forgot to change the registry here..

Heidern98

Yesterday I quit out of the Mad Max disc and it didn't turn HDR off for me. Usually my TV gives a notification when it starts and stops HDR content so I thought it was the XBox that was skipping a step but I can't say for sure. I did switch to a TV app and then went back while the XBox was still on so it might have contributed to the issue.

grizzelye

anyone using this with an LG E6 OLED? how is it? i assume the tv passes all the compatibility tests?

Yep, no issues. Passes with flying colours (all boxes ticked). Just need to turn on 'HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color' on the HDMI port your Xbox One S is connected to, under general settings.

HDMI 1-4 are 4k60hz ports.

Edit: not the best for input lag (game mode is 34ms) and just need to avoid image retention (which isn't permanent).

Broman1978

Hmm, Am I the only one experience slightly a bit more "fuzzy" picture with the S? I Have UHD checked and my TV says 2160p@60 and everything. Maybe its just because the Xbox upscales the picture? But on the positive side, mine is REALLY quiet! And I DO feel that the dashboard is snappier than before!

I'm not worried (I don't own one).. But HDD console only.. makes it sound like it has no disc drive to me. It might be a name for an "upcoming" revision.. or more likely.. they planned to release the Xbox One S without a discdrive and forgot to change the registry here..

Or it just means the console has an HDD instead of a hybrid drive like in the Elite.

Caayn

Source? In the calibration tool I don't have crushed blacks and uhd bluray my tv does 4k pure direct 4:4:4, which would be grayed out if it wasn't getting a 4:4:4 source.
Hmmm. Tested it with a picture from a thumb drive and with Edge both showed black crush with pc-RGB. However I just checked Rayman Legends and Halo 5 Guardians and neither show black crush.
has anybody here registered their Xbox One S here:

https://devicesupport.microsoft.com/en-US

???

I heard the name of the console shows up as

"Xbox One HDD Console Only"

is that true..? and wtf?
xboxescaayn31s6d.png

Top Bottom